Constantine Shake-Up: Lucy Griffiths Exits Supernatural NBC Drama

Constantine Lucy Griffiths

Constantine has already claimed its first victim.

RELATED Fall TV First Look: NBC Releases Trailers For Constantine and More

Lucy Griffiths (True Blood), the female lead in NBC’s adaptation of the DC comic Hellblazer, has exited the drama, TVLine confirms.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the show’s creators decided to move in a new direction — one that doesn’t involve Griffiths’ character, Liv — but rather than recast her, NBC will simply introduce new characters to take her place, beginning with Zed, another female character from the original comic.

Griffiths’ character possesses the ability to witness supernatural events, making her a (seemingly) invaluable ally to the show’s hero John Constantine (Criminal Minds‘ Matt Ryan), whom she joins when a demon stakes a claim on her life.

Constantine is set to premiere Oct. 24 at 9/8c on NBC.

1. Characters like this are the POV character for the audience, the ones the viewers/readers follow on their journey into the fantasy world. It’s a bit important to lose her like this.

But who knows, the replacement might end up carrying the show better, like it happened with Lexx and Babylon 5 after the first season.

• Joey says:

Even though this is a completely different type of show, wasn’t this basically the same thing that happened on The Following? I don’t even know who that actress was that played the female agent that was following Kevin Bacon around, but in the second episode, it said she was transferred and got replaced with Annie Parisse’s character, who was much better.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Except, Griffiths’ character in the pilot is established to be uniquely important in the grand scheme of things….

• Suhail says:

Exactly, I don’t know what the new direction of the show will be.

• JP says:

Does that mean we’ll see her in the pilot and then she’ll just disappear?

• hahah! A “unique” character replaced with another character that can do the same thing.

• Suhail says:

Not really. In the pilot, Lucy Griffiths character is the daughter of Constantine’s friend who was also into the supernatural stuff.

• Dan says:

I’d say the storyline is not the problem with that pilot. The motivations were fine, things were put in motion. I can see a show evolving from there. The pilot itself just didn’t have very appealing visual elements, starting from the (very beautiful) Griffiths, who looks like she just arrived in a DeLorean. Those random shots in the beginning and end also contributed to the 80s-ish feel. Some parts, like the train scene, hold no suspense whatsoever, which is also the kind of predictability you’d see on an 80s show. It’s just the way the pilot was shot, but the script itself is mostly ok.

• Joey says:

Don’t think it really matters in the grand scheme of things. I suppose it all depends on how the pilot gets wrapped up. If she’s set up at the end of the pilot as super important, that part doesn’t get rewritten and reshot, and she’s just gone in the next episode, then there’s something wrong, but they can easily rewrite around this little corner.

• wordsmith says:

Yeah, the whole point of the pilot is sort of Constantine trying to recruit her into his fight and keep her safe from the demonic powers that want her dead. If she suddenly dies in episode two, that would be a really dark and depressing twist.
          Then again, Constantine is just the sort of hardhearted s.o.b. who would shake it off and say “Yeah, that sucks, but life goes on. What’s next?”

• Temperance says:

Yes, but the actress was pretty bad.

• Wade Wilson says:

‘Pretty bad’ is an understatement. She was unbearable awful. If you’re one of those sad folks that was pist she was canned simply because she was attractive, then I suggest you turn off the tv, and go to bed. You have 8th grade classes tomorrow, where you might actually talk to a real girl.

• Temperance says:

The actress needs to have an acceptable level of acting skills – which were not a bit evident in the leaked pilot. It’s a big plus to have her eliminated.

2. Loki says:

Ugh! She was the reason I was watching it! so unless they get another actress I like to take over then I’m out.

• Nate says:

So your not gonna watch a show that hadn’t even started yet. your logic is stupid

• bruceeff says:

If the actress was his main reason for tuning in and she is no longer a part of the show, of course he’s going to be much less inclined to watch. His logic isn’t stupid. Your comment on the other hand…

• Loki says:

I already watched the Pilot Ep (bc it leaked online) so I was INVESTED in Griffiths character already and she is the main reason I was watching. Also, the pilot was a bit “meh” and I’ve never been a big fan of ‘Constantine’ to begin with so with her leaving, yes, that makes me re-evaluate watching the series.

• Wade Wilson says:

Gu yjust said she was the onyl reason eh was watching. Clearly he is no scholar. And probably has never had a concersation with a real woman.

• Doreen Barnes says:

Same here i was only interested in watching because she was on it now im prob not gonna

• Temperance says:

She was terrible in the pilot.

3. Bruce_F says:

There are not enough vulgarities in the English language to properly express my anger and disappointment.

4. Suhail says:

So “exits” means that she was fired when the show decided to move in another direction.

5. Am I the only one who thinks of the Seinfeld episode with the stop short gag when they see that photo? Kramer with George’s mom in the car.

6. Ally Oop says:

This is awful news. I loved the trailer for Constantine and really liked the character of Liv and her relationship to Constantine. I might not watch now. Without a female lead I’m not really interested anymore.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Via reading the article there will be a new female lead.

• Ally Oop says:

Only a temporary female lead and then another one after that and another one after that. The show will no longer be about Constantine and a female lead–it will just be Constantine with female characters showing up and exiting as the writers see fit. It’ll be kind of like Supernatural which I quit watching years ago because there were no female characters that stuck around. Many people liked the trailer for Constantine and I think this was a bad move to eliminate Liv. I liked that she had a connection to Constantine through her father and I looked forward to to that dynamic.

• Kieran Hindmarch says:

In the comics there are rarely ever any female character’s that stick around very long, even Zed, who is being introduced, wasn’t around very long in the comics, the most consistent character was Kit and she wasn’t even around very long, this isn’t due to the writers just getting rid of characters because they feel like it, but because of John Constantine’s character and personality.

7. Sheldon W. says:

Interesting choice. Her chemistry with Ryan was one of the things that helped make the pilot work for me.

Without that peculiar partners but not ‘partners’ relationship gone and the show moving in a different direction, the writers are going to have really tap dance to get it together before the season begins – as you put it, Liv was ‘established to be uniquely important in the grand scheme of things.’ How, exactly, do you replace ‘uniquely important’ without changing the show at a serious level?

Constantine just went from ‘Absolutely gotta watch this’ to ‘I’ll give it three eps to impress me…’

8. SentaiDragyn says:

I am actually glad the character is being axed. The actress and character were the weakest part of the pilot ep. Constantine should be the focus of the show bearing his name. Also, it felt to much of a rehash of the Constantine movie, which I really liked, and which did a much better job, with a much better actress, in conveying her power in a more meaningful way, than just having a magic amulet make it work.

• Lysh says:

I agree. The most interesting thing about her is someone she’s related to. And I wasn’t impressed with her acting. Hopefully her character will be fleshed out more in her remaining episodes.

9. Et. Al says:

How sad for the actress not to appear on network tv for 3 weeks as well as having 10 episodes appear online at a later date!

10. I wonder if the pilot will be scrapped totally. I doubt a little re-editing would be able to downplay the character much. There’s no reason the show needs a female lead though. If it sticks a bit more to the source material there’s any number of recurring characters that could be used instead.

• Dan says:

I hope it gets scrapped and reshot with a more serious tone. I wasn’t very impressed with the somewhat 80s-ish tone and with Harold Perrineau never being in any way menacing, so this would be a good opportunity for that. The good parts reminded me of early Supernatural, but there should be even more of it, starting with the cinematography. And yes, Constantine should smoke. Some kind of smug “distraction” is missing in his characterization and I think that’s it.

• johnny says:

Its literally being aired tomorrow moron.

11. MD says:

Smart decision. She was terrible in the pilot. Hopefully they scrap the pilot and start over.

12. Katie_Mead says:

A quick glance at Zed on a Hellblazer Wikia, and the first name that pops into my head, with no hesitation, is Natalia Tena (‘Nymphadora Tonks’ / ‘Osha’).

13. Smigglesby says:

Her accent in the pilot was straight up bananas. Great choice.

14. Nay says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the replacement actress they pick is a bit older in order to play up some “romantic” tension on the show.

• Moment says:

Griffiths was 27 though, that’s old enough to have a proper romance with a character played by a 33 year old guy.

• Nay says:

From the trailer, it seems her character’s age was written quite a bit younger like late teens, maybe 20-21. And Constantine’s age in this tv verse, who knows?

• Dan says:

I’d say she indeed looks younger and is made to be younger in the role. Problem is, the main guy is 33 pushing on 40, lol.

15. Autumn says:

I WAS looking forward to the show. Perhaps they thought the female character was too integral or something. Bad idea IMO.

16. Davey Elmer says:

Matt: Any word on how, exactly, they plan on writing her out or how many episodes she’ll actually be in before they do?

17. Temperance says:

I watched the pilot and it was decent, but it had a couple flaws. The biggest one was the female lead, who really can’t act. Without her, the show will probably be awesome.

18. I was going to tune in to see her and I’m disappointed she left the show. I wish the show had not gone in a different direction but we’ll have to see how it turns out.

19. christine says:

I havent seen the pilot but these comments make me nervous. I only know Lucy Griffiths from “True Blood” but she was pretty awful.

20. Fido says:

Bit confused about the “but rather than recast her,” bit – if they’re NOT reshooting the pilot but have decided they don’t want to carry her character into the rest of the season, then giving Lucy a different role, or bringing a new person in to play Lucy (not sure what “but rather than recast her”,means), then either of these two options make no sense. So rather than a “you sucked you’re sacked” thing this feels more a “you were fab but we’ve decided to go in a different direction so unfortunately have to let you go, we’ll write you a great reference” thing.
    Either way I’m in for the duration.

21. Eran says:

Good or bad move, only time will tell, but the truth is, whenever something like this happens, I just feel so damn bad for those poor actors and actresses who think they’ve got a job and some financial security lined up for the coming future and then, wham, rug gets pulled right from under them in one fell swoop. Just sad for them :/

22. yurie says:

That screenshot. Constantine is like “better cop a feel one last time…” :-D

23. BrianR says:

Does she get turned into goo again or shot with an arrow?

24. Angela says:

I’ve not yet seen her in a role I’ve enjoyed. I found her annoying on True Blood and am not sad she won’t be on this show.

25. Wonder if anyone behind this show, has even read the comic, or researched it. Because if so, then he really doesn’t NEED a female counterpart. I seriously hope they don’t water down, or remove certain aspects of his character, to fit a certain audience that probably wouldn’t be interested anyway.

26. tiff christie says:

My god was she awful… I could barely finish the pilot, because she was that bad.. Unfortunately , i called it quits after that because to watch another episode with her in it was guaranteed to give me a major migraine.. So now that someone caught on, perhaps one of the big executives actually go a chance to watch the show , they’ve made an excellant decision, and i just might have to give this show another chance, seeing as how it follows directly after my “Grimm” ..