Emmys

Primetime Emmy Nominations 2014: My Snappy Judgements

2014 Emmy Awards Nominations

The 2014 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, both thrilling and infuriating (mostly the latter). For every inspired nod (congrats, Kate McKinnon!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (no best drama nod for The Good Wife?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

RELATED Emmys 2014: The Complete Nominations List

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The Academy recognizing True Detective‘s unsung hero Woody Harrelson (in addition to, of course, Matthew McConaughey).
* Masters of Sex‘s Lizzy Caplan scoring a best lead actress nod. Ditto co-star Allison Janney (in guest actress).
* The Good Wife‘s Josh Charles getting recognized for his [SPOILER ALERT] final season. Also, co-star Julianna Margulies scoring a nod after being overlooked last year.
* All the love for Fargo.
* The best comedy nomination for Silicon Valley.
* Andre Braugher sneaking in for Brooklyn Nine-Nine (the show’s only major nod).
* Matt Bomer scoring a nod for his revelatory Normal Heart work. (Pretty pleased about all of the love for Heart.)
* All the nods for Orange Is the New Black.
* SNL Kate McKinnon’s best supporting actress nod.

PHOTOS | Emmys 2014: The 43 Biggest Snubs

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* The Newsroom‘s Jeff Daniels stealing that sixth best actor slot from The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys (or Masters of Sex‘s Michael Sheen).
* The requisite nod for Downtown Abbey‘s Maggie Smith. Love her but enough is enough.
* Mike & Molly‘s Melissa McCarthy getting nom’d for lead actress instead of… so many stronger contenders?!

I’m Super-Pissed About:
The Good Wife getting shut out of the drama series category for its best season yet. Also, no writing or directing nods for two of this season’s best hours of television, “Hitting the Fan” and “The Last Call.”
* The Mindy Project getting the shaft.
* Zero recognition for The Big Bang Theory‘s sterling supporting cast (save for Mayim Bialik’s nod).
* No Tatiana Maslany? WTF?
* The absence of Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga makes me a little psycho.
* No love for Inside Amy Schumer‘s leading lady.
* Masters of Sex
failing to score a best drama nod.
* The absence of Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany (because it bears repeating).
* Hannibal getting bubkes.
* The Walking Dead‘s Melissa McBride getting overlooked.
* No nod for Scandal‘s Bellamy Young.
* Nada for Sons of Anarchy‘s star-crossed lovers Charlie Hunnam and Maggie Siff.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. No nom for Melissa Rauch makes me sad. No nom for Simon Helberg makes me fightin’ mad!

• Sasha says:

BOTH of them over Mayim ANY day!

I mean Amy is funny-ish but Bernadette and Howard make the show! More so than the leads in most cases!

• Nick says:

Yeah, they’re good and all, but I think Kelly is just as deserving of a nod or even win as they are, and I think she is really overdue.

• Sasha says:

Sorry who is Kelly?

• Sasha says:

Sorry I didn’t mean to sound snarky.

I just realized you meant Kaley.

Either way she’s good too and I’d like Johnny to get another Nom but i still think the supporting cast help make the show and should be recognized especially Melissa and Simon

2. vagrantolive says:

THE EMMY’S DON’T DESERVE A TATIANA

3. Simon says:

No nomination for Peter Sarsgaard is a crime.

4. Fernando says:

No James Spader for “The Blacklist”, one if the best acting jobs all year..

• Ron says:

Meh. Jeff Daniels doesn’t deserve his nomination, but I wouldn’t say James Spader should have been the replacement. I think Spader was great, but that is a VERY difficult category, and I’m not sure Spader would have made a strong contender against some other very worthy competition.

• rawley says:

Agreed. Matthew Rhys from The Americans or either male lead from Hannibal deserved it more.

• Gwen says:

I don’t watch either “The Americans” or “Hannibal” but I do watch “The Blacklist” and I can’t imagine anyone else playing James Spader’s role as well as he does.

• Ron says:

You have a fair point; I don’t know if I see anyone playing Red as well as Spader does. He brings something special to the character. But as someone who also watches The Americans and Hannibal, I can definitely say the same about the male leads in those shows as well. I feel like I can also say the same about other male leads who deserved nominations, too–like Aden Young in Rectify or Demian Bichir in The Bridge. But honestly, going back to Hannibal, my personal feelings are that Hugh Dancy gave an unrivaled performance this past season. Again I say, Spader is great, but this is a VERY tough category.

• Amanda says:

Agreed! James Spader is fantastic!

• herman1959 says:

DITTO; Spader is killing it week after week in an original way while some of the others continue to do their same old bits but still get nominated. The Emmy’s are starting to lose relevance somewhat like the Grammy’s some years ago. Also, I just don’t understand why there is a category for Reality Show Host.

• amber says:

I agree!! James should have won!

5. Hannibal being completely snubbed was a bit of a shock. Nothing for sound editing, its visuals, special effects, directing, squat diddly .. uggg for the Emmy’s not giving this at least something. Think its time to split the Emmy’s to reflect the new reality. Paid vs Cable. HBO’s domination of the Emmy’s is good for HBO not good for anyone else.

6. Bec says:

Let’s copy the list from last year and nom everything still on air again. Oh and make a note to do this next year too. And the year after. Yahhh.

• Zayne says:

Thank you for perfectly summing up why these awards are essentially meaningless. I care more about seeing SAG and Golden Globes noms.

Big Bang Theory being nominated for best comedy and not Parks and Rec pretty much invalidates that entire category.

• Bob Sprott says:

Bravo! Every category includes some real talented actors and the rest are social/political favors for being on the PC side of Jollywood. Don’t expect much more from SAG or the Globes.

7. Scandal fan says:

Totally agree that Bellamy Young was robbed. Same for Jeff Perry! They were better than Kerry Washington this year and I LOVE her!!

• HeatherC says:

I totally agree with you. I was expecting to hear Bellamy’s name and possibly Jeff Perry but not Kerry’s at all (and I adore her too). Happy that Kate Burton and Joe Morton were recognized but Bellamy being left off is just sad. =(

• dax says:

Love Kerry but this year she didn’t deserve any nomination.. this year was Bellamy Young’s year! Talking of shondaland, I know Grey’s hey days are past day story, but Sandra Oh deserved OSCAR (if possible for a TV episode) with the Burke Return! She was a pleasure to watch!

• bummedabouttats says:

they were better than Kerry last year as well.

8. Patsie says:

No nominations for Hannibal is criminal. Not even in directing or cinematography.

• soundscene says:

I just don’t understand this at all. It’s not even comprehensible. I can’t think of a single show on TV that uses cinematography as a character in the way Hannibal does. The idea that the Academy just jumped right over it, as if it didn’t exist, baffles me. I expected the snubs in the main categories–the Academy is too enamored with cable, Netflix and repeating nominations from last year for Hannibal to breach the threshold and actually get main nods–but generally the Academy does better with technical nominations. This time, they just didn’t get it at all. I’m at a loss.

• Dan says:

All this ^^. And the fact that, if Mads Mikkelsen is not nominated, that means nobody there watched Hannibal at all. They simply didn’t. That guy is the gold standard for what to do on TV currently.

• Rick says:

Totally agree. Cannot believe Hannibal was not listed. Sexiest looking show on TV. It’s beautifully made and so classy. Also Bates Motel. So for first time this season and loved it.

9. dsm says:

The exclusion of Tataina Maslany is a complete sham! She out acts EVER single one of these actresses on weekly basis!

• James Butler says:

I truly agree, Tataina Mastany not only out acts the rest of the nominees she plays multiple rolls as well. Pathetic!!!!!!!!

• Bill says:

Obviously, the Emmy committee just forgot to announce that the Award was for SECOND Best Actress in a Dramatic Role. Tatiana Maslany clearly won the other one.

• Mark says:

I again can only assume that when the idiots doing the noms watch the screeners they don’t understand it’s one actress. They must look at “Sarah” and think, “OK, that’s a decent performance, but what’s all the hype about.”

Otherwise, this remains the most abominable snub in the history of Emmy. Not only should she have been nominated, casting votes for one-note performances like Robin Wright’s against Tatiana should result in having one’s DVR privileges revoked for a year.

10. Jen says:

So pissed about Mindy not getting ANYTHING! The comedy category needs to be revamped because so much that’s not a comedy is nominated.

11. jnelsi says:

FURIOUS about Bellamy Young and about the no drama and no writing nods for The Good Wife and NO JAMES SPADER?!??? What the…???

12. pippin says:

Melissa McCarthy over Emmy Rossum, Mindy Kaling and Amy Schumer is an absolute joke.

13. jnelsi says:

Ragingly mad about no James Spader and no Bellamy Young. And incredulous over no best drama nod for Good Wife nor writing noms for them.

• Dan says:

Good Wife over House of Cards any minute. It’s not even a matter of opinion, it’s as objective as possible. They just nominated House of Cards for the political and technological implications. One represents old TV, the other is “the future of TV”, according to them.

14. Andre says:

Also no Vikings and/or Travis Fimmel nominations…

• K.H. says:

I love Vikings, but watching Travis FImmel can be painful at times. He has the same look in almost every scene.

15. Joanie torre says:

What happened to The Blacklist and James Spader??? He certainly deserved a nomination for Best Actor!

16. LaKeeau says:

The Emmy people need their head examined. Not a single nom for Orphan Black! Criminal!

17. Mark says:

No Andy Samberg and no Brooklyn 99. That sucks, give it a rest with Cheadle, LeBlanc and Gervais. Also nothing for The Americans grinds my gears. At least they showed Fargo some love.

I’m not sure if it was best comedy worthy, but props to the guys from Silicon Valley.

• Bartleby says:

I enjoy Episodes, but Matt LeBlanc doesn’t deserve a nomination for playing HIMSELF.

• TinLV says:

Yeah, I thought that was really odd.. how does one get nominated for playing themselves ??? that doesn’t make any sense.

• soundscene says:

To be fair, he’s playing a version of himself that’s not really himself. Matt LeBlanc doesn’t actually act like that in real life.

18. I am really bummed The Good Wife (which had its best season this year) did not get a drama series nomination but Tatiana Maslany not getting a nomination is mind boggling. Seriously she deserves to be recognized.

19. Nik says:

The only thing I’m super annoyed about is no nod to Tatiana Maslany. Frankly, her exclusion makes the entire best actress – drama category a joke.

I’m happy Bellamy Young didn’t get a nomination. The whole [crappy] third season of scandal seems to have been set up by Shonda to give Bellamy multiple submissions for Emmys. That Emmy bait rape episode was horrible (and rightly called out as such by most media outlets and reviews and fans). She should not be rewarded with an Emmy nom (especially when all she does it grit her teeth and snarl).

Best of luck to OITNB cast!

20. You know what Emmys… you don’t deserve Tatiana Maslany.

21. jo jo jo says:

I can’t believe Mindy was robbed. ROBBED. I am happy for the Shameless Nods though

• Katie says:

William and Joan have been nominated before. It’d be nice for Noel and Emmy to get some recognition. And the show itself. I couldn’t even stand Frank and Sheila’s storyline this past season.

• Francine says:

Absolutely. I’d throw in Jeremy Allen White as well. All 3 of them deserve it over Macy and Cusack. Its like they just picked the biggest names from the show and didnt bother to actually watch it this past season.

22. Shira says:

Tatiana should have gotten a nomination for the dance party alone!

Bellamy Young is the (only) best thing on Scandal.

Masters of Sex should get every nomination possible.

Mindy (!!!!!) don’t even get me started.

…and of course The Good Wife, the show where the sum is bigger than its parts, so it should have first and foremost get a best series nomination (and a writing one).

My beloved (and underrated) Nashville also didn’t get nominations but at least there I didn’t have any expectaions

23. JBC says:

Really excited for Matt Bomer, he deserves to win for The Normal Heart! Also so glad that Woody Harrelson was nominated for True Detective, he and Matthew McConaughey were both excellent.

• Tisha says:

You’re not kidding! After I binge-watched the entire season of True Detective I was singing their praises, especially for McConaughey. I’ve never been a fan of his but this role really changed my mind. I am so glad to see both him and Harrelson nominated.

24. lla says:

I’m also furious about The Good Wife not getting nominated in the categories you mentioned WTF? Plus, this show had to put out 22 epis and still rocked all year. I guess if you are on network tv you aren’t cool enough for emmy nominations. What a shame

• Aidan says:

Couldn’t agree more! It’s ridiculous! The good wife atleast deserved a writing nomination for Hitting the fan if they weren’t gonna get a mom
      For best drama series. All the shows nominated had at most 13 episodes. The good wife maintained near perfect quality for 22 and was snubbed. My faith in the Emmys and the academy is gone. Hiding out hope for Christine, Julianna and especially josh to take home some gold but I’m not holding my breath!

• Carmen says:

I agree with both of you. If those cable shows had to produce 22 episodes instead of 12 or 13, they wouldn’t be close as good as The Good Wife. They only reason it didn’t get nominated it’s because it is a network drama and the Emmy people snob them. They couldn’t ignore the acting because actors move from one network to another and in another time they might be on a cable show, but they did ignore and snob the show which will only stay on network.

In my opinion, The Good Wife and the show’s writers not only deserved the nomination but also the award as well.

• lla says:

Yeah–I’m with ya. The show is SO good. IT really looks bad that they weren’t recognized for best show and writing. I doubt there will be one tv blogger/critic who doesn’t agree that TGW was screwed. They should have had more acting noms as well. The best theater actors are on this show as regulars and guest stars. smh

• Andrea says:

I agree about the bias toward cable. I also don’t like that there is a bias against procedural and so-called “formula shows.” If these awards are supposed to be representative of television, they should include ALL of television. It’s terrific that Matt Bomer got a nom for The Normal Heart, but he’s been kicking ass on White Collar for years. Procedurals are good enough to make money but not good enough to be awarded and recognized? That’s crap! There’s good writing and acting on procedurals just like there is on the shows that receive critical acclaim.

• herman1959 says:

I’d never really thought about it before, but I am now – networks ARE operating under different limitations than cable/digital for programing content. Separate nominations would be more logical but not likely since that would mean double the number of nominations for most categories. Therefore, the Emmy telecast would be so ridiculously long that people wouldn’t stay with it long enough to see the commercials, and the advertisers would not be happy.

• DW says:

I also agree. Some of these nominations are absurd. “True Detective” is not a drama series. It was a limited run mini. How could they allow it to be nominated in the best drama series category? “The Good Wife” turned in one of the finest year’s worth of TV I’ve ever seen. So they get no series, writing or directing noms? I’ll bet if TGW was on cable it would be sweeping the nominations and have many wins. I won’t be watching the EMMYs this year. Just move the show to Netflix or HBO where it really belongs.

• Andrea says:

DW, I know that you made the comment about moving The Good Wife in jest. Unfortunately, I think that’s what many members of the Academy think—that “good,” award-winning TV can only exist on the higher-end cable shows.

• DW says:

Andrea, I agree with what you say about the academy bias for cable but I must clarify that I meant moving the EMMY show to cable and not TGW. The EMMY nominations have become a bad joke when it comes to drama and even comedy is now drifting only to cable for nominations. TGW has more award winning actors on any given episode than any other show and look what the screwball EMMY voters nominate.

25. CK says:

“Insert token rage about my favorite show/actor/actress not being nominated because narrowing down a great year of tv to 5/6 slots can be brutal’

I’m for the most part pleased with the nominations. Loved the OitnB + Normal Heart love, yay for Kate Mckinnon. Lena Headey finally gets recognized for GoT! I would have been remiss if Joe Morton had missed out on a nomination. B613 may be grating, but Morton’s monologues are Tywin Lannister-epic (Can we just have a show of older dad’s tearing down their children and others in monologues starring Charles Dance and Joe Morton, please?) I love Bellamy Young and would have been jumping up and down if she got a nomination, but I can’t think of anyone I would replace with her. Downton Abbey may be getting weary plot-wise, but performance wise it’s still giving it’s A-game.

• soundscene says:

I think the point of some of the rage is that there are multiple nominations in each category that are tired and seem to be there simply because they were the year before, rather than because of anything outstanding that occurred this season. If those nominations were removed, others can take their place. The Academy is very hesitant to nominate outside the box. Once they get in a comfort zone it’s wash, rinse, repeat until they are browbeaten into doing something different. It changes very, very slowly. Shows like Orphan Black aren’t considered because they are on the non-preferred cable networks. Shows like Hannibal aren’t considered because there’s only so much room now for broadcast, so why nominate a show that isn’t a hit like the Big Bang Theory?

26. windwein says:

Melissa Rauch is 5 feet of comedic force.
    She deserved a nod.

27. Sue says:

I am super-pissed about no show or acting nominations for Parenthood, and no acting ones for Nashville.I also would have liked some acting ones for the Fosters, but I’m not insane, ABC Family shows do not get nominated.

• Ryan says:

Parenthood is consistently overlooked, and I don’t know why. It is so well-written and acted, and it really deserves some love heading into its final season.

28. Andrea says:

In some cases, lead actors should have been nominated (James Spader), but in other cases, doing the practice as a matter of course needs to stop. I watch all of these shows and like them, but enough with Jim Parsons, Kerry should not have gotten a nomination over Bellamy, no to Melissa McCarthy on Mike and Molly, and a nomination for The Good Wife as a dhow was more warranted than one for Julianna. I realize there are categories to consider, but there has got to be a better way to do nominations.

• Andrea says:

* as a show (I dislike having no way to edit.)

• Nik says:

Um Kerry didn’t get a nomination over Bellamy. They submit in diff categories — Kerry submits for lead (it’s her show and she’s the only person who submits for lead) and Bellamy submits for supporting. So…no.

• Diane says:

Thank you! And don’t make me laugh about BY “deserving” a nod. No. Stop with the entitlement.

• Andrea says:

Um, yes Nik and Diane. I mentioned that I knew that there were categories to consider, and I know that Bellamy and Kerry submitted in different categories. Part of the issue that viewers have with the Emmys is that the current system needs an overall of some type. In the case of Scandal, Kerry had a perfectly good, enjoyable year. However, I did not think it was an award-winning year and thought her earlier work in previous years was better. Bellamy’s work on Scandal was stellar this year, in my opinion, but we are still stuck with these categories. You are both correct in explaining the current system, but what I’m saying is that, regardless of category, for this particular year, Bellamy’s performance was stronger than Kerry’s in my opinion, and it would be nice to have some way for the best performances on a show to be nominated, no matter who does them or whether or not they fit a category. Entitlement has nothing to do with it. If anything, I see more entitlement in the current system with nominations for repeat nominees like Downton Abbey, Maggie Smith, and Jim Parsons.

• Nik says:

I don’t even understand your complaint then. How would a category overhaul help BY get a nomination (and personally I don’t think Bellamy deserved a nomination at all. Sorry but Bellamy isn’t a great actress, there’s only so much teeth gritting and snarling one can do. If she submitted 3.07 then I am extra happy she didn’t get a nomination because that episode — which was Emmy bait — should not be awarded for using rape as way to make viewers like Mellie, I totally transparent action. Moreover, so tired of so many media outlets very willing to push Kerry aside to act like Bellamy is the star — and Bellamy reveling in every instance of it). And, truth be told, I don’t think scandal deserved any nomination because season 3 was a horrible, inconsistent, continuity error ridden mess with an over abundance of nonsensical shocks that weren’t shocking (my friend and I guessed –right after the s2 finale — that Eli would kill Jerry and that’s exactly what happened) and writing for tweets alone. Addition, it became a wannabe Alias that got away from focusing on the star -1 the historical star (and I don’t believe her pregnancy is the reason, that has never affected storytelling on other shows with women leads).

The only way BY would get a nom is if network tv got it’s own categories (which is I disagree with because it’s an excuse for network tv to remain mediocre and not try harder) . As it is, The Good Wife is the only network show pthat can compete with cable — they are the only one that TRY.

29. brandy says:

Maybe next year, the producers of Orphan Black should slap a big label on the screener saying “HEY, DID YOU NOTICE THE SAME ACTRESS PLAYS ALL THE CLONES? SAME LADY! EVERY TIME!”

30. RyanC says:

No RuPaul’s Drag Race/RuPaul for best reality show/host. That’s just shady.

31. Angi says:

I’m more mad about no switched at birth and revenge

32. Ron says:

Hannibal is too good for the Emmys. If they can’t recognize its greatness and the greatness of the acting on that show, then they have issues. Same goes for Tatiana. Can’t believe B99 was overlooked–I for sure thought that was going to the Emmys new go-to comedy. It’s not being said that much, but I think overlooking The Bridge is completely criminal. I would have at least thrown in a Best Actor nomination for Demian Bichir. His performance was breathtaking. Also not being said enough is how Rectify received no love. Another brilliant show that apparently Emmy voters don’t understand. The Mindy Project being overlooked is also criminal. The excessive love for Downton Abbey is ridiculous. I, too, love Maggie Smith, but really? Again? and Jim flipping Carter?!?! Though I’ll say I’m not going to hate on Froggatt’s nomination, because at least I get that one. However I think she should have been its only major nomination. Dockery didn’t have enough Emmy material this season, so I don’t know how she got nominated again. And by no means was the show good enough this past season for a Drama Series nomination over so many other worthy shows. It’s definitely time to start splitting cable/streaming shows and broadcast network shows. I honestly don’t think any other awards show gets it so wrong on a regular basis than the Emmys.

• seattlejohn449 says:

LOVED The Bridge and Bichir…thanks, Ron, for giving them a shout-out

• S. says:

Amen on The Mindy Project but I got beef with the Downton bashing. The show itself did deserve a series nomination. It’s quality tv. If you’re paying attention to Downton Abbey and get that not all great acting has to be big and obvious, Michelle Dockery, Jim Carter, Joanne Froggatt, and Maggie absolutely deserved nominations. Michelle had the grieving widow episode at the beginning to submit so it’s just not true that she doesn’t have the material. Jim’s got a great episode submission because he’s got a lot to do in the 2 hour ep 1 (US). If you don’t get why he’s awesome and how Carson’s heart was broken when Mary snapped at him in her defensive grief, I really can’t help you. Joanne Froggatt probably deserves the Emmy over Maggie for obvious spoilery reasons, but Maggie nailed it as usual. You (and this is a general internet “you”) can’t whine about love for a well made show. It’s just not legitimate. You don’t like it, fine, but it isn’t objective that it’s not well made. It takes craft to do what they do well. It’s so much easier to do big flashy performances and get attention. Doing it with subtle acting and getting recognized by the Emmys and SAG means what they do is even more impressive to their peers, people who are in a position to know. They had their best ratings ever. What’s with the “again” griping people are doing when a show like Mad Men or Modern Family are way more over the hill in terms of years of recognition? DA just had it’s 4th season and people were doing this last year. Seriously? 3rd and 4th seasons aren’t old hat at all. As for splitting the shows into broadcast and cable, uh they kinda already did that. It was called The Emmys and the Cable Ace Awards. It’s not the Emmys fault so many good shows are on cable. They’ll never split them, they’ll never make a dramedy category, can we all stop asking for dilution so our faves can get in? For some bizarre reason the Emmy voters aren’t watching Orphan Black or The Mindy Project and straight up don’t like The Americans it would seem. Weird and ridiculous, but so it is. It’s not Downton Abbey’s fault though.

• Rick says:

Your absolutely right. It’s in a class by itself. Really could’t believe it was on network TV.

33. analog says:

The Good Wife did not submit Hitting The Fan for consideration. It submitted The Last Call which was a big mistake. I expected it to be snubbed it both writing and directing.

34. Jess says:

The Good Wife oddly didn’t submit “Hitting the Fan,” so you can’t blame voters for that omission. You can blame them for the snub in Drama Series and for no “The Last Call” in Writing, though!

No Dean Norris in Supporting Actor? Wow.

35. analiesejoy says:

Give all the Emmys to Allison Janney!!!

36. J.B. says:

Obviously pissed Tatiana Maslany & OB got shut out I’m bummed that these snubs:

Dylan O’Brien – Stiles (Teen Wolf)
    Say what you want abt the show but Dylan’s acting in season 3 was amazing.

Walton Goggins – Venus Van Dam (SOA)
    Most certainly should have received a Guest Actor nomination.

Hannibal
    Too many to name

Mary McDonnell – Sharon Raydor (MC)
    Why do the people at the Emmys ignore this very talented actress!!! First Battlestar Galactica and now Major Crimes. Ugh.

Vikings
    Too many to count

In The Flesh – Miniseries
    I assume one of the two were eligible

Rectify – Series, Actor, etc. Something would have been nice.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. I just don’t understand why there isn’t more diversity among the nominations. They are all “safe” roles and shows/miniseries/movies. Genre and “Indy” shows are due some nominations.

Wait I remembered one more snub:

Once Upon A Time – Best Comedy
    That is one funny show! I don’t think I’ve watched one episode that didn’t have me ROTFLMAO.
    /s

37. drhenning says:

I gave up on these silly award years ago when it was obvious that the nominators didn’t watch much TV and just followed the lead of others… Orphan Black is one of those cult shows that will never get mainstream recognition by people who don’t watch much TV… And how they keep nominating that rubbish Downton Abbey is beyond me… The TGW produces 22 wonderful episodes and gets zip while that trash has a very short season and gets nominated.. Oh well.. The critics awards are the most important since they are the ones at least paying attention…

• dsm says:

Agree 100% with EVERYTHING you have stated! Great post!

First Mary McDonnell (BSG), then John Noble (Fringe) and now Tatiana Maslany (OB). Welcome to the club Tatiana!

38. Tom Charles says:

My biggest one is the Office Clone Modern Family continuing to get nominated for Best Comedy over the likes of Parks and Rec, Mindy Project, and Community

• Karsten says:

That’s funny…Modern Family is an undeserving Office clone and instead Parcs and Rec should get a nomination? Now that’s comedy! ^^

39. Marsha says:

I’m annoyed that the Walking Dead never gets any love. There is some incredible acting in that show, especially this past season.

• seattlejohn449 says:

by far the best season so far because the focus changed to individual, character-driven stories that showcased the many talented actors telling stories that aren’t network cliches…even the child actors were incredibly impressive this year

• Jamie says:

I’m afraid that since it’s a “zombie” show, no one from the show may get the recognition they deserve.

Melissa McBride was brilliant in “The Grove.” With the material of the episode, it would have been easy to overact, but she hit all of the notes beautifully. Best performance by any female (leading or supporting, in any series), that I saw this season.

And I find the lack of love for Andrew Lincoln very sad. Granted, this past season, he wasn’t heavily featured because of the way the series’ storyline was structured, but his portrayal of Rick’s desperation and brutality in the season finale, “A,” was award-worthy. What was really sad was the lack of recognition for his Season 3 work – “Hounded” and “Clear” were great performances.

40. JC says:

I tried watching that Silcon Valley show on multiple occasions and found nothing funny or interesting about it so I wasn’t happy to see it get a nomination. I’m hoping Modern Family does not win again (and I like that show).

41. K says:

I know that Grey’s is way past it’s hay day of getting flooded with nominations, but really? Nothing for Sandra Oh?

• Alex says:

I was going to say that! Sure, the show’s past its prime, but she was great this season, especially in her last few episodes.

42. frank turchioe says:

no love for devious maids, especially susan lucci for supporting. she is amazing

43. Vicky says:

I don’t think the academy even knows Sons of Anarchy is on TV. One of the best dramas year after year. This is it’s last year, so they’ll have one more chance to get it right.

44. Alicia says:

Looks like Spader will always have to savor his Boston Legal days, when it comes to perennial Emmy recognition.

And also – how could someone think Mindy Kaling is funnier than Melissa McCarthy? McCarthy is hilarious and deserves a nom every year for Molly Biggs.

• S. says:

Melissa’s getting nominated for Mike & Molly by way of Bridesmaids. It’s a little frustrating, and I’ve loved her since Gilmore Girls. Mindy Kaling should’ve gotten in.

45. Dooley says:

I agree about the supporting cast of the The Big Bang Theory; I get mad every year for Simon Helberg. I also add pissed to the snub of The Americans and its cast.

46. Meg says:

Maggie Siff will never be recognized for her work on SOA… How sad. And isn’t it ridiculous that the one person spewing hate about the emmys is the one who got nominated? Thanks Kurt.

47. bj says:

This is why the Emmys have become a joke. How can you shut out a whole division of tv production because the nominators don’t like network tv? Talk about prejudice! Time to change who can nominate for these awards, or get rid of them all together and have just the Prime Time Cable awards.

I personally think they shouldn’t be allowed to make a nomination unless they’ve watched all shows which have been put forward for consideration; not just run marathons of their favorites like obsessed tweeners to remind themselves how much they love them.

48. kirads09 says:

SMH. I just don’t get it. How can they ignore Orphan Black, Tatiana (and Jordan as supporting) again? And Hannibal? Good lord, if there were ever performances worthy of emmys – Mads and Hugh’s are. Plus Bryan Fuller and show deserve a nod. So extremely well done. I am happy for Fargo, Martin and BBT. But leaving out Alison?

49. Hurricane says:

No Maggie Siff or Charlie Hunnam. BLASPHEMY

50. Denise Rambo says:

Tatiana Maslany was ROBBED!