Once Upon a Time Mystery: Who Is Lost's Elizabeth Mitchell Playing...? Plus: Season Premiere Title Revealed!

Once Upon a Time Season 4 Elizabeth Mitchell

Well, you wanted Elizabeth Mitchell on Once Upon a Time, and now you’ve got her — but playing whom?

RELATED Once Upon a Time Creators Preview Season 4′s Frozen Twist

Entertainment Weekly reports that the beloved Lost alumna has booked a Season 4 arc on the ABC series as a “possibly malevolent” character with ties to Frozen sisters Elsa and Anna, as well as to Storybrooke.

As previously reported by TVLine, Fringe‘s Georgina Haig will recur in at least nine episodes as the aforementioned Queen Elsa, while newcomer Elizabeth Lail will play the chillin’ royal’s younger sister Anna.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Season 4 Scoop on Evil (?) Elsa

But where does that leave Mitchell (whose TV credits also include Revolution and V)? Once‘s riff on the Frozen tale takes place after the events of the animated hit, so the girls’ mom is still very much dead (or at least lost at sea). But if Mitchell is playing evil, maybe she is… what, Heat Meiser? Or — still spitballing here! — what if in the Once version, Hans Christian Andersen’s Snow Queen is in fact a separate character from Elsa, and that‘s who she’s playing?

Comments, hit, now! P.S. Series cocreator Adam Horowitz just revealed the premiere title:

1. Steven says:

OMG. I need to know now. So excited.

• Mikael says:

Whoever she’s playing, she’ll be related to either Regina or Rumple, like everyone else on the show.

2. Piper says:

I don’t care who she is playing…I’m just so excited to see her on the show!!

3. Mare says:

Maybe she’s Elsa’s mom!

4. Lia says:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!

Elizabeth Mitchell’s joining Once’s cast! Too excited for words! \o/

5. Geek24 says:

What if, and this might be a stretch, she’s playing Juliet and she needs to get Elsa back to the island, so that Dharma can continue their research. And if you think of it, it explains the presence of a polar bear on the island!

6. Jack R says:

How about their mom in flashbacks… You know they do flashbacks on this show, right?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hey, gang, Jack here is right! Though… why hint she’s evil, when the girls’ mom certainly was not?

• Margaery says:

Yeah, but this is OUAT: Peter Pan wasn’t supposed to be evil either… And they are setting up Elsa as a villain, if she is, why not her mom?

• Davey Elmer says:

“And they are setting up Elsa as a villain”….

No, they’re not.

As far as Peter Pan goes, they weren’t Canonizing the events of the Disney version of that story in terms of the Once-verse’s mythology the way that they are with the events of FROZEN, which is why they were able to get away with turning him into a villain.

• Ben says:

To be fair, we don’t know that they are exactly canonizing everything about the movie, do we?

• Davey Elmer says:

“we don’t know that they are exactly canonizing everything about the movie, do we?”

The character descriptions explicitly reference the events from the film, A&E have stated that they have no intention of retreading or retelling the events of the film in any way, and information from some of the actors (including Georgina Haig herself) indicates that what they are doing very much builds on what happened in the film.

• billy says:

actually i believe in the original story he was naughty little kid and hates adults and kids who wanted to go back to their parents and not follow him he fed to the mermaids

• Elsa’s parents kept her locked away rather than get her the help she needed. Not evil at all, lol.

• Margaery says:

Exactly. They have more villain potential already than the original Pan story- and look at what hay they made out of “child who doesn’t like growing old”. This is a mom whose kid could have been fixed by unconditional love, and she couldn’t do that. Totally enough for the OUAT team to make her villainous. [She survives the shipwreck but choses not to return home. BOOM Issues.]

• Emma says:

True. And I’m still not sure why they couldn’t have told Anna right from the start that “hey, your sister has powers that she can’t control and she’s afraid of hurting you again” instead of making Anna think Elsa hated her for all those years. Because then there would be no movie, I guess.

• Bobbie Cook says:

Didn’t Elsa’s mom give her the glove to help her. She wore the glove so that she wouldn’t freeze anything.
          Locking her away was all Elsa’s part because she didn’t know how to cope with her powers so she locked herself up to protect everyone.
          Sorry, if I’m wrong here…I’ve been only able to see the movie once,

• The movie’s biggest flaw is in how Elsa’s parents handled the problem. Elsa didn’t hurt Anna on purpose, it was accidental. What she needed was to learn how to control her abilities, not hide them from others and from herself.

• Eric Hall says:

Other way around. Elsa is the Flash Back and we Have a Snow Queen – Like Anakin Skywalker & Darth Vader

7. Kristi says:

Maybe she’s the reason Elsa has her ice powers? Cursed her?

• anonomousaurus says:

I like this idea! I thought how they described her powers in Frozen was stupid.

• zaza says:

They never did say how Elsa got her powers…just that she was born with them. But they had to come from somewhere….so maybe a curse, or maybe recessive dna.

8. spindae2 says:

My crazy idea is she will play Aurora’s mother and an aunt to the Frozen sisters or she will tie in as a Camelot character, Just a hunch, but probably a really long shot! Hopefully it will be revealed at Comic Con!

9. SS says:

Ok I like that idea Elizabeth being the Snow Queen from the story

10. Rob says:

I had a similar thought as Matt with her being the Snow Queen, possibly responsible for Elsa’s curse, but also potentially the real person Rumple meant to keep hidden away as opposed to Elsa. Or she’s Regina’s half step sister haha

11. Mike (@Boofofmichaeld) says:

Best news I’ve read all day!! <3

12. James says:

Malificent?

• Meg says:

Was already on the show. Season 1. Emma kills her in the finale.

• anonomousaurus says:

She never dies…. she comes back in Season 2 and Hook fights her

• Davey Elmer says:

Maleficent’s dragon form dies at the end of Season 1, but she comes back in Season 2 as a zombie skeleton creature, and also appears on Once Upon a Time in Wonderland in flashback in human form.

13. GeoDiva says:

I’ve been on the fence about returning to OUAT for this upcoming season, but now that Elizabeth Mitchell is in…..I’ll stick around.

14. Tiffany Wilhelm says:

I always wondered why only Elsa had the ice powers when no one else in the family had them. Perhaps she is an aunt and the curse runs in the family or she is Elsa’s real mom?

15. Luke says:

I’m almost certain that she will play the Snow Queen, or at least be closer to the book character than Elsa ever was; she could also not be a magical character at all but rather an evil royal from a foreign country like Hans; if Once follows Elsa & co after the events of Frozen, we need to remember that she became good, or rather everyone finally saw that she was actually good, than why was she locked in that bottle in Rumpelstiltskin vault; he may also be her connection with Storybrooke;

16. Chris says:

Cruella de Vil?

17. Kim says:

Is it me or does her face look a little plastic? That sounds mean, I’m sorry.

18. Bmass says:

Elizabeth Mitchell is absolutely lovely. Juliet was my favorite character on LOST, and she was superb in Revolution. I’m thrilled she’s coming to ONCE.

19. Amie says:

Maybe she is Elsa in the here and now, and Haig and Lail are in a Fairyland flashback? Something like what Ginnifer Goodwin is to Bailee Madison or Barbara Hershey is to Rose McGowan.

20. Anthony says:

Love Elizabeth Mitchell and hope that Adam & Eddy do right by her. I need to reread the Hans Christian Andersen tale. Bill Willingham’s “Fables” did a neat interpretation of the Snow Queen. Perhaps ONCE will also find a way to involve “Jack Frost” in this storyline, and bring in Mitchell’s LOST sort-of-son-from-season-6 Dylan Minnette.

21. Bree says:

No offence to those who like her but not a favorite of mine. She seems to have this bored look all th time in her face. I didnt care for her in V and I quit revolution because the writers wanted her and Miles together. No thanks.

• Moment says:

Rachel and Miles would have made a good couple, Charlie agreed in the final episode. If anything perhaps after dealing with the nano they end up together, in what’s left of the United States. That or Miles becomes a figurehead and leads a small settlement.

22. arob says:

Could it be that she is the real evil one that Rumple meant to trap in the bottle, but in some mishap/battle, Elsa got trapped instead?

• Emma says:

That’s good theory, especially if they don’t make Elsa evil on the show. She seemed okay at the end of the movie so it would seem random for her to want to get locked up again.

23. Loli says:

Once has a lot of flashbacks so perhaps Mitchell is playing the present day Elsa. While Haig plays the younger one???

• Davey Elmer says:

The official character descriptions for Anna and Elsa are in sync with Elizabeth Lail and Georgina Haig’s ages, so I find it highly unlikely that they were cast solely to play younger versions of the characters in flashback.

24. kappbylu says:

I think she could be the one that cursed Elsa in the first place. Maybe a jealous sister of Anna & Elsa’s mom or dad.

25. Shareen says:

Wouldn’t it make sense that the Snow Queen should be Elsa’s mother?

26. A says:

She is obviously Olaf

27. Andy says:

I just hope they explain how Elsa got her powers. Perhaps she is secretly adopted like James/David and actually is the daughter of EM’s character (perhaps the Snow Queen) and King Midas. Thus everything she touches freezes instead of turns to gold.

• anonomousaurus says:

Now all I can think about is how the snow queen and the man who turns things to gold had sex. I don’t know how that would work… Wouldn’t she be turned into gold?

28. Hector says:

what if she the older version of Elsa?
    the girl from Fringe is the flashback?

29. dancmh says:

Good for her I guess but I was hoping they’d find a way to bring in Kristen Bell for a role.

30. Henry P. says:

Aaaand I’m officially not watching OUAT anymore. She is one of my leaste favorite actresses ever. Right next to Katherine Heigl.

31. Jennifer says:

Am I the only one who would like to see her be related to Kathryn/Abigail somehow?

32. Eric says:

Maybe they will be exploring Flash Forwards in the show – much like how they did in LOST. And she will in fact be playing a much older Elsa.

Just spitballing here – Georgina Haig and Elizabeth Lail are similar age. But something would have happened to Anna to turn Elsa against Rumple and hence why he had locked her in that urn for a long time and thus you have an older Elsa. Perhaps Haig and Lail are playing those characters in flashbacks.

In any case.. i hope her character is impacting enough that she sticks around.
    Pretty sad that Rebecca Mader is gone. =(

33. Natalie says:

Probably THe White Witch of Narnia. I don’t think Disney will allow Elsa to be portrayed as a villain. So the show needs a new Big Bad. The WHite Witch does fit in with the ice and snow theme of season 4. And I think Disney has the rights to Narnia. So I think Elizabeth Mitchell will be Jadis the WHite Witch. But my real question in all of this is: How is she related to Henry?

34. Name That Tune says:

I’ve lost interest in the show.

Don’t care who she plays or how she relates to Frozen. The gimmick -try of the show now bores me to tears.

35. Jennifer says:

Why on earth does OUAT think they need to put her on the show? Seriously, what is the fascination with this woman? She is bland, boring and has annoyed me in nearly everything I’ve ever seen her in. Same bland expression, same boring personality. And every show she’s ever been in is no longer on tv.

36. as much as I like her she spells death for shows, V then Revolution, Good Luck Storeybrooke

37. MattySi says:

I’m thinking she will be Elsa and Anna’s mom as well. My theory is that when the King and Queen left they ended up in Storybrooke, not dead and of course unable to return.

38. acurat says:

It is nice they got one of the actresses the fans wanted, even if it is not for one of the main roles. I remember a survey placed on here where people were requesting for people like Idena Menzel or Kristen Bell. Obviously Menzel was not available (and probably too old) to play the role, and Kristen Bell was not available as well. With Elizabeth Mitchell they have an actress with a solid track record, but not young enough to play one of the sisters. If she is written in as their mother that would be neat….

39. c says:

Or Jadis from Narnia?

40. Eric Hall says:

Like Anakin Skywalker & Darth Vader – Elsa plays in Flash Back Only and we get the Full Snow Queen in town. Recall we did not see a face so it could be the Snow Queen.

41. milkglass says:

I would love to see Elizabeth play a young Granny. There are many Santa/Christmas nods in Red-Handed and Elizabeth was Mrs. Clause in the Santa Clause 2 and 3. This could tie in so well with the frozen story and there is a similar story in throwing off the cloak and learning to control the icymagic and learning to control the wolf.

42. Hank Foraker says:

What if she was like the White Witch from Narnia or something?

43. I’m so excited and can’t wait!!!! Season premier on September 28TH which also happens to be my Birthday…Couldn’t ask for a better gift!! I Love this show :D

44. Lenexa Love says:

My first thought upon the speculation of Elizabeth joining the cast was that they may push the Snow Queen into it as well…. Before they released anything about the story I thought that they were actually going to make Elsa into the actual character of the Snow Queen.

45. nathiest says:

9 freaking episodes and Regina is going to have zero interaction with the character? How sad. Lana went from series star to background extra.

46. GH#1 says:

Actually, I wanted to see Elizabeth Mitchell on Revolution. And before that on V. But as usual both those series bit the dust before the stories got to play out. I do like Ms. Mitchell very much so I will be interested in seeing what she brings to ONCE UPON A TIME, which is one of the few series left on my must watch list.

47. kitkat says:

Wonder how elsa’s gonna be related to regina or rumple :/

48. Titi says: