Glee Shocker Update: Chris Colfer Is Not Leaving, Studio Says His Twitter Account Was Hacked

Chris Colfer Leaving Glee

There will be the exact same amount of a lot less Glee for Chris Colfer/Kurt fans as the Fox series enters its final season, despite a false alarm suggesting that the original cast member would not be continuing with the show.

RELATED Glee Bosses Reveal Final Season Theme, Confirm ‘There Will Be a Lot Going On In [Spoiler]‘

On Thursday afternoon, Colfer’s Twitter account announced: “Due to personal issues, I have been let go from the cast of GLEE. Explanations will come shortly….”

Shortly afterward, however, TVLine confirmed that Colfer is in fact signed on for Season 6.

“We’ve been alerted that Chris Colfer’s Twitter account has been hacked. Rumors of his dismissal from Glee could not be further from the truth,” reads a statement from 20th Century Fox TV, which produces Glee. “We love Chris and look forward to working with him again this season.”

Colfer has been with the show since its trumpeted May 2009 debut, and during his run has collected a Golden Globe award and a pair of Emmy nominations for his portrayal of Kurt Hummel.

In a recent TVLine Q&A, he shared his hopes and wishes for Glee‘s farewell run, saying, “I just want to see [Kurt] happy…. I hope to see him find validation within himself. I think that would be a great lesson for the kids watching, that you have to find approval and happiness within yourself. You don’t get it from someone else.”

RELATED Fox’s Fall Schedule: Gotham on Monday, Bones‘ Big Move, Glee Is MIA

Glee Season 6 is scheduled to debut at midseason.

1. Pedro says:

This final season sounds like a huge mess.

• LK says:

Yea… they should have ended the show with the graduation episode last season… Hope he at least gets to have an episode to wrap up his storyline.

• Shazay says:

I wouldn’t have minded him not being in the final season, I mean it IS the Lea Michele show now, so why should any of the other actors matter? Blarg!

• Jess says:

It’s always been the Lea Michele show sadly…But hey, hopefully she’ll go for less annoying roles or return to Broadway where she belongs!

• sarah says:

it sounds terrible. it’s going to be a whole season of lea michele playing herself backed up the insufferable idiot twins, sam & blaine.

2. Steph says:

Even though I don’t watch, this makes me want to run over to Blind Gossip and see if any blinds have been solved!

3. Michele says:

He’s finally free. Praise the Lord.

4. Lo says:

WHOA, when the second lead gets ‘let go’, there are some serious issues obviously. Has Murphy lost his mind?

5. Ari says:

Finally! Maybe I’ll start watching again. His character has been unbearable for the last two seasons. (FWIW, I do enjoy Colfer’s other projects such as Struck By Lightning, but couldn’t stand “Kurt.”

• Freddie says:

^ This. This a thousand times this.

Except there never was a time when I found Kurt, the character, to be bearable. Not ever.

I wish Chris Colfer the best. He seems a decent guy. At least he’s free from the turgid mess Glee had become the last time I watched.

• Jack says:

“Maybe I’ll start watching again”. Which indicates that you had stopped watching. Which raises the question, how do you know he has been unbearable the last two seasons?

• Freddie says:

Because why would they fix the behaviour of a character who apparently could do no wrong in the eyes of the show? Besides, previews may be misleading, but they still paint a picture.

You’re right, though. I haven’t been watching. Good job on figuring out for me how long I haven’t been watching (I tried to remember and gave up), though.

It turns out to have been a false alarm, so that’s the end of that.

6. Kryssie says:

I can take one guess what those personal issues are

7. Elle says:

Holy smokes. I’m speechless.

8. Wonder Bruno says:

Good riddance. His character is one of the reasons why Glee sucked last season.

• anonomousaurus says:

Last season? I have disliked Kurt every since season 2 when he became a selfish dick who whines and quits when he doesnt get what he wants. I am gay and I find Kurt’s character offensive towards gay men.

9. Andrea Burke says:

Chris I am sorry they let you go. I was really hoping for a Blaine as and Kurt wedding this season. You will be missed 😢😢

10. Pedro says:

I don’t want to jump to conclusions but this sounds like Ryan Murphy trying to make a revolutionary final season and totally failing at it (I don’t see Chris bailing on a final short season on his own will)

11. lionel says:

Its unbelievable! Most of the original cast is disappearing or I think. Hopefully nobody else leaves. Deeply sadden by these news.

12. chloe says:

I’m just really confused. Besides Lea, he’s the only one that just can’t see Glee letting go like that, without them wanting to leave on their own. This is very shocking. And I guess we see why they were pushing Dale Street so much last season and Ryan saying the main focus would be those three in season 6.

13. Kurt is star its goin to be boring with out him.

14. MJ says:

Hate to sound like a broken record, but Glee really should have ended two seasons ago.

15. Mia says:

Wow, that’s a HUGE shock. I’m not even sure it’s worth continuing making the show, if he’s not going to be part of it. How can they expect anyone to want to watch without the leading man there? They’ve made a terrible decision letting him go, if (as I suspect) they couldn’t come to an agreement about him missing some episodes whilst he was making the Noel Coward film in the UK. Surely he could return afterwards – after all, there were many people joking that Kurt would go to Russia next season! The Glee fandom just lost a massive part of their show today.

16. debbie tuttle says:

the show was finished when Cory Monteith passed away

17. Sofia says:

Give me all the gossip! This is getting interesting.

18. Steve F. says:

Wow. And suddenly, that final season seems less compelling, seeing how Chris Colfer was one of the lynchpins of Glee.

19. Cdeno says:

With this news I predict that the only series regular returning for all episodes will be Lea Michele. Matthew Morrison said he would be back but in what capacity?

Naya Rivera was apparently let go last year, wow this season is going to be a mess and probably horrible.

• andew says:

even though it’s not true chris is leaving season 6 is still going to be mainly the hellish combination of rachel, blaine and sam. the three most grating tedious obnoxious characters on the show. it’s going be a steaming pile of poo regardless who else stays or goes.

20. Debra Slagle says:

So saddened by this. Hard to believe they would let him go on the last season. He’s been a trooper since the first. “Glee” won’t be the same. Love you Chris/Kurt.

21. Roger says:

False alarm. He’s not going anywhere?

22. J says:

I know this’ll sound nuts, and it can’t possibly be the only reason he’s leaving, but is it at all possible that this is happening PARTLY because FOX/Murphy won’t let him play Peter Pan on another network (NBC)? No, right? Tell me I’m completely insane.

23. LK says:

His twitter feed was apparently hacked, says hes not going anywhere

24. livvy says:

His account was hacked. He’ll be back

25. this show jumped the shark long ago. it’s unwatchable at this point.

26. Percysowner says:

I’m stunned! I haven’t watched Glee since season 3, but Kurt was one of the few characters I really cared about. I hope the personal reasons are good i.e. a conflict in his work schedule as opposed to something less good like illness. In any case I wish the best to Chris in his career. He’s a really talented guy.

27. Andrew Hass says:

If Chris asked the show to let him go because of personal reasons then i support him and wish him well.However i could see him been the premiere episode in the Fall to explain why Kurt won’t be around anymore and even come back for the series finale.However i hope Kurt and Blaine’s relationship has a satisfying ending to it and even have them still be friends.They could realize their lives are going in different directions and they don’t want to hold the other one back.

28. GuessWhat says:

1) I hope he is not ill …cause

2) don’t you think it’s a little ridiculous and drama queenish to drop a tweet like that and hold his fans in suspense til he decides to tell the rest.

29. sil says:

Calm down people! Chris Colfer’s twitter account was hacked, THR spoke to his manager who confirmed it.

30. anna says:

his manager just said in a statement that he’s not leaving, that his twitter has hacked. the story is on the hollywood reporter.

31. Angela says:

I’m struck by the wording: “I have been let go from the cast.” This sounds like leaving wasn’t Chris’s decision. Glee won’t seem like Glee without him.

32. GuessWhat says:

UPDATE: Breaking News ‏@BreakingNews

Chris Colfer’s verified Twitter account hacked, manager says; actor will be back for final season of ‘Glee’ – @THR

33. Maxi says:

The twitter account was hacked..he’s not leaving according to THR

34. Kristen says:

YAY!!! He’s been too good for the mess this show has become for too long now. He’s already got some good outside projects, on going and in the works. I hope this was his choice, and while it’s probably bittersweet for him, it will free him up to work with people who will hopefully appreciate his talents and put them to better use than Glee did the past three seasons. I’ll support any project he does, and wish him the absolute best in both his personal and private life.

35. Larry says:

Who really cares? He has had his 15 minutes of fame. Soon, it will be, “Chris who?” And talk about acting chops! A gay guy playing a gay guy! What a stretch! I sure hope he saved his money.

• Phil says:

Yeah I mean it’s not like he has anything going on outside of glee, you know like three best selling books or movie he wrote and starred in. He is nothing without glee. Too bad for you he’s the only series regular on glee that will have a career after the show.

• andew says:

yes because of course everyone knows all gay guys are just one big homogenous mass, not individuals with different personalities and attributes just like straight people. nice homophobia there by the way, you seem like a real charmer.

• Alana says:

And what a real stretch it is for straight guys to play straight guys! Talk about lazy acting for 90% of all actors working in the business today! Because EVERYONE knows that one’s sexual orientation completely dictates a character’s entire personality!

36. Can’t hackers do something constructive with their skills? Like, I don’t know, disarm Al-Qaeda, dismantle Wall Street, expose political and corporate corruption? Every time I read something, it’s usually just an inconvenience to a lot of people.

37. Mark says:

What a shame this turned out to not be true. Glee has treated him horribly since season 2.

38. CMG says:

Matt, really? You didn’t think to go to Chris’ publicity folks for verification before running with a story based on a tweet?

• It would have been irresponsible to not report on it, especially if it had been true. Lots of legit news comes from personal Twitter accounts and most of the time, it’s not some wacky goofball lying under someone else’s account.

• Nick says:

Actually twitter accounts are hacked all of the time. They were lazy in doing their jobs just because they wanted to scoop it first. Not confirming it is what makes them irresponsible.

• Andrew Hass says:

Maybe TVLINE should have verified the story by at least getting one confirmation that it was true but they could have been worried someone would post the news before they could.However next time they might be more careful

39. jane says:

Darn! I was hoping he had moved on to other projects.

40. Jasonbres says:

What a relief! I was scared for a second.

41. Sammy says:

aw man his account just got hacked. I was hoping the insufferable twat was actually fired :( As a member of the LGBT community I am ashamed and embarrassed by Colfer and Kurt. They are both stuck up insufferable wankers. The only people who like Colfer/Kurt are pre-teen idiots with serious mommy issues. Get help.

• Mark says:

I’m a 32 year old gay man and I think Chris Colfer is an amazing kid and Kurt was a fantastic character before they ruined his storyline by making it about his bland horrible boyfriend. Protip: Starting sentences with the phrase “As a…” just makes you sound like a pretentious twit.

• Joe says:

You taking a dislike to a person you don’t even know (for whatever spurious reasons seeing as Colfer has never shown any sign of being obnoxious that I’ve ever seen) does not make them an embarrassment to the lgbt+ community. Granted i’m a gay woman not a gay man but any lgbt+ person who says they’re ashamed or embarrassed of a member of the lgbt+ community who is out-and-proud in the public eye & doing their bit for lgbt+ visibility while you hide behind an internet account making snide comments just makes me glad that people like Colfer and others exist as a decent example of our community to counteract horrible example set by the petty bitchy people like you & your ilk. And try telling the thousands of gay teens for who were helped massively by the character of Kurt Hummel that that character is something the community should be ashamed of. I only wish there had been characters like Kurt & Santana on my tv when I was growing up.

• Sol says:

Kerrie, I see you salivating from the other side of the world.

• .... says:

Even better is the way she has gone from site site, leaving this same comment on every single article that has mentioned Chris. It seems her newest thing is to pretend to be LGBTQ or a gay man while bashing Chris which is a new low, even for her.

42. I would like Blaine to go with him actually because I would not let Kurt to go anywhere until Blaine is there. Joanne Wisniewski. X.

• holly says:

lbr apart from diehard darren criss fans and the awful klainers i think most of those still watching the show (and many who’ve already stopped) wish blaine was leaving the show this year. he’s the worst character the show has ever had bar none. sadly not going to happen. looks like we’re losing the awesome santana instead. nice one glee.

43. Jared says:

I used to really like Glee but last season was mediocre at best. The only episode of Glee I might watch next season is the series finale.

44. jazzcolfer says:

I love Chris, that’s why I wanted him out of this mess glee has become. Also, I still love Kurt and I wanted him rid of klaine forever. I can’t be that lucky and the writers will continue to use kurt in their silly klaine storylines. Anyway, I love Chris and I can’t wait to hear about his book tour for TLOS3, too bad I don’t ive in america.

45. Ellymae says:

His twitter account was hacked, he’s not leaving… chill out peeps

46. Thank the muses it was all a hack

47. D says:

too bad, sounded like great news for the show

48. sarah says:

i see all the immature darren criss fans pretending to be gay men have invaded the comments section like they do everywhere else. eternal eyeroll.

49. Nick says:

Well tvline should be embarrassed of themselves, just because you can scoop the story first, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t actually confirm if it’s true. “Journalism” at it’s finest.