Pretty Little Liars' Tyler Blackburn Talks Caleb's 'Dark' Return in 100th Episode

Pretty Little Liars Spoilers

The Cat in the Hat is back! Hanna’s ex returns to Rosewood on Tuesday’s 100th episode of Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family, 8/7c), but Tyler Blackburn tells TVLine we should prepare ourselves for a whole new Caleb.

RELATED Pretty Little Liars: Caleb’s Return, Plus 30 More Pics From the 100th Episode

“His time in Ravenswood has messed with him greatly,” Blackburn explains. “He’s questioning his sanity, what life is, what’s real and what’s not. So he comes back to this hyperreality in Rosewood, and he’s just overwhelmed. He’s angry, he’s confused, he’s sad, he’s mad — all these things. He has a dark side now that he really didn’t have before.”

Below, Blackburn delves deeper in Caleb’s changes and previews his unexpected reunion with one Hanna Marin.

TVLINE | I have to say, I was worried that Ravenswood would be swept under the rug, but it sounds like you’re addressing it head-on.
We had the same writers and producers on Ravenswood that we do on Pretty Little Liars, so even though we didn’t get picked up, they’re still very invested. It’s important to all of us that we wrap up what was going on in Ravenswood.

Pretty Little Liars RecapTVLINE | Caleb will also be meeting Alison for the first time. Does he have a unique perspective on her since he didn’t know her before she disappeared?
Exactly. He really only knows what he’s been told by Hanna, which is that she’s a very evil person. That’s where his head is at with her … and Caleb isn’t easily manipulated. He’s got those street smarts, you know what I’m saying? [Editor’s note: Expect Ali and Caleb to really butt heads on the July 22 episode.]

TVLINE | Did you keep up with Pretty Little Liars while you were away?
To be very honest, no, but only because I was so busy while filming Ravenswood. I feel like it kind of works out, though, because Caleb also didn’t know what was going on in Rosewood while he was gone.

LUKE KLEINTANK, ASHLEY BENSONTVLINE | I only asked because I want your thoughts on Travis. Will Hanna have to choose between you two? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
I know that when Caleb first comes back, he sees that Hanna’s trying to be happy with Travis. He wants her to be happy, so he lets that happen. I think Hanna will always be in love with Caleb, but things might not happen exactly the way the audience wants. We don’t see each other, then immediately run to each other and start kissing.

TVLINE | OK, let’s talk about your new hair. Why did you decide to cut it after all this time?
There were personal reasons for it, but also reasons for Caleb. I’ve had long hair for so long. Before I did the show, my hair was down to my nips, it was so long. Then it started getting shorter and shorter, and I really needed a change. I also thought, “What if this could visually symbolize what Caleb has been through?” I feel like he’s uncomfortable in his own skin after what happened in Ravenswood.

TVLINE | Caleb’s return is only one aspect of the 100th episode. What else can we look forward to?
This whole season, the main theme is that Alison is back, and there some advancements on that front. What’s interesting is that everyone has a different reaction. And Mona, being the psychotic person that she is, kind of brings her old “A” game back.

TVLINE | “A” game? Well done.
Thanks, I’m really smart.

PLL fans, are you pumped for a full-on Haleb reunion this Tuesday? Drop a comment with your thoughts, hopes and fears about the 100th episode below.

1. Azerty says:

Is he back as a regular? I really liked him, maybe because he was the only one non related to Alison but still involved in the A business. Hope we have “street-smart” Caleb back and not “let’s cake cooking lessons together cause we are in luv” Caleb.

2. lk says:

I liked the show so much better when Ali was dead. I Can’t believe how quick the liars have been to just welcome her back. I mean she pushed Emily way into the closet, gave Hanna an reading disorder, and blackmailed aria and Spencer’s families. I hope Caleb will at least remind Hanna of that.

• lk says:

*gave Hanna an eating disorder lol.

• Melanie says:

I thought the same about how Alison treated them.
      And I know realize I have few questions about PLL A timeline. Was the A terrorizing Ali before she was left for dead Mona? And so do we pretend to believe that right after Mona, A was Shana, and no one else has been?
      I sorta like that they are not being terrorized by A anymore (although I didn’t like Shana’s twist- and there might be another A just keeping quiet)

• lk says:

There is no way Shana was ever real A. She was a minion, A knocked her or and brought her to the town line. She was only after the liars to get vengeance for Jenna.

3. sarah says:

So happy to have Caleb back! I like Tyler Blackburn! I will take him with long or short hair. I wonder what his personal reason were for cutting it!
    I hope Caleb sticks around.

4. Kate says:

I’ve been waiting for him to come back basically because he is the only one to call everyone on their lies and basically also to let them know, remember, I am actually smarter than most of you. And all of the Liars respect him (and he has some serious beef with whoever was responsible for his mother’s death, which I hope they remember).

• Kirsten Cardwell says:

Caleb’s mom didn’t die, she was just hurt, but either way he still has “some beef”, as you said with whomever did that to her.

5. Kirsten Cardwell says:

I know we can’t expect him and Hannah toimmediately get back together after rosewood but I hope they do, not really diggin Travis.

6. Matt says:

Does anyone else feel like this is building towards Ali getting killed for real?

7. Elaine says:

Glad to see Caleb back. Get rid of Ezra. That whole storyline of a teacher hooking up with a student is sickening and even more so because he has ever been punished. He needs to be in jail.

8. Kacey says:

Omg i Love Pll so much…it’s like i’m obsessed with it.The new season is awesome!!!(loving it)Can’t wait to see Caleb….i really miss Ravenswood =(,anyway i’ll definitely be watching the 100th episode :D….

9. Kathy Kyle says:

I am very glad to see Caleb is back, though I didn’t want to see him go in the first place. However, I don’t want the writers to make Caleb go Darkside. Caleb has been my favorite character, because he had so much integrity. I worried that the writers were either going to write the character off ( which they did for a while) or turn him bad. I know actors like challenges and they don’t want to be stereotyped, but Caleb was awesome the way he was. If it ain’t broke…..writers PLEASE keep Caleb’s good character intact.