Exclusive

The Night Shift Renewed for Season 2

the night shift dw

The Night Shift will be clocking extra hours at NBC: The summer medical drama has just been renewed for a 14-episode second season, TVLine has learned.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

The series premiered in late May to a solid 7.8 million viewers — a 16-week high in total audience for that Tuesday-10/9c time slot. Its ratings have since tapered off, but only modestly; last week’s episode drew 6 million viewers and a 1.2 demo rating.

Shift‘s eight-episode first season is set to conclude on July 15.

1. GuessWhat says:

Thinking 2nd season will be next summer? Summer-only type gig?

2. LWolf says:

I’m pleased this was renewed. I just hope Scott Wolf’s character doesn’t stick around. I’m really not a fan

• Tom_B says:

I don’t think he’d be around long given he is still a regular on Perception.

• Todd1952 says:

Me, too, LWolf. I find that Scott Wolf’s character is obnoxious in a self-righteous, intolerant way, and I hope the hospital administrator ends up firing him — he deserves his comeuppance.

• megan says:

Team TC!! Im not a fan either!

• Anna Jordan says:

I agree, I don’t like Scott either. However, I do have to admit that he adds just the right amount of tension in the love triangle that is T.C., Jordan, and Scott. And I am so happy The Night Shift was renewed another season!!!!

• I have to agree with you about Scott Wolf. There will always be someone who is annoying on this type of show but, he is annoying in the first place.

3. Androme says:

I said it would be renewed based on perfect solid ratings, and I’m right.
    Congrats to NBC on a great hit show.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Expected, great news.

5. Joey Padron says:

Happy show got renewed for season 2. It’s been good so far in first season. Cast is good on the show.

6. MoshiMoshi says:

Yay!!!! More Sir Gwaine!!!!!

• Andrea says:

More Drew and Topher! Yay! Brendan Fehr and Ken Leung are great in this. Nice cheesy (in a good way) summer show.

• Jules says:

My thoughts exactly!! The first time I heard of the show and saw a cast picture, I screamed “Gwaine!!!” Loved him in Merlin, and I’m glad someone else remembers Eion from that!

7. Michelle says:

YAY!!!!

8. Carrie says:

While i am quite happy they got renewed, i am sad they are ending after only 8 episodes this season.

9. Bwhit says:

This is good news! I like it more with every episode and tonight’s should be a good one.

10. SMatheson says:

Really like this show. Interesting story lines, and a good medical drama with some comedy thrown in for levity. The ensemble works well together. Great chemistry. Sort of reminds me of MASH – which the writers should continue to emulate.

11. Leonard says:

What I take from this news is :

It’s good to owned by Sony Puctures Television . Those guys will do anything to keep their shows on the air .

12. name_required says:

Well, if they cancelled it, they would just start another generic show next year, so I guess they can as well continue this one. I’m not even saying it’s a bad show, it’s just really expected and derivative when it comes to plot and characters – yet to give the viewers something they hadn’t seen a thousand times before.

13. TW says:

They should add Josh Holloway to the cast so I can get the Miles/Sawyer reunion I’ve been waiting patiently for. :)

14. What’s up mates, nice post and fastidious arguments commented at this place, I am genuinely enjoying by these.

15. Barbara mccallum says:

Glad It Was renewed like the show

16. roswellfan says:

yay i really like this show!!!

17. Diz says:

Great! I really enjoy it.

18. Pia says:

I hope the lead works on his accent over the break.

19. Liz says:

Seriously? Lol

20. riskuji says:

I watched some amazing trailers like Gotham city,scorpion, madam secretary, bad judge e.t.c just can’t wait for them to start airing.

21. riskuji says:

Well am glad It’s coming back for the second season, although i haven’t watched it but i heared is good

22. Iakovos says:

Good move NBC. Happy for a Peacock win! Thank ABC and ROOKIE BLUE for this renaissance of summer scripted programming. It does not always work but this one ain’t bad. it may be able to be ready for midseason/late spring if NBC has an epic fail season at bat.

23. Pat says:

I am glad to hear this. I really like this show but I do not get to watch it live, so I catch it on Demand. I have so many other shows that I watch on TNT and USA on Tuesday nights during the summer months and most of these go on my DVR. So once again, I am glad that Night Shift has been renewed.

24. Rita says:

It lucked on the time slot and night. Most folks who enjoy “Chicago Fire” which is the time slot it is in are definitely enjoying this show..Glad it is getting yet another chance..

25. Matt says:

Good. Maybe they’ll actually show Brigid Brannagh rather than briefly show her in the premiere and then drop her.

26. rke says:

I watched the first three episodes on demand. Not sure if I will watch the rest. I really like all of the supporting cast, but really disliked the two leads.

27. Penny says:

Great news!!!! Hope they bring it back as a fall show for 13 episodes!

28. Lia says:

Yay, love this show. Scott Wolfe not so much.

29. Penny says:

Great news!!!! Love the show!

30. Kelly says:

Great show! My husband and I are happy since several shows we watched were cancelled.

31. Ada says:

My husband and I were shocked the season was ending so soon but was excited to hear they are returning for a second season!

32. Brooks says:

Why couldn’t u guys make more episodes
    for season 1, 8 is not enough. I
    could keep watching it. It’s pretty good
    Can’t wait for season 2

33. Ana says:

Awesome :) I’m really enjoying this show! Do you know when the second season will start? Summer 2015?

34. queenbrat says:

A bit surprised. Not that great of a show, it needs some improvement. It is a bit slow and campy.

35. Mahja says:

AWESOME!! Love The Night Shift!!

36. keiffer says:

im glad best drama medical show iv seen in along time

37. Cherry Thompson says:

I like the show very much

38. Robert Usher says:

Many times, shows (like Believe and Resurrection) take to long for the cast to become interesting and likable. That is NOT the case with Night Shift. I for one thought the pilot created enthusiasm for more. Each episode thereafter has added to that premise. It is a medical setting but like, St Elmo’s Fire, ER, and Gray’s Anatomy, the cast chemistry and relationship story lines make the show. I am happy to learn of a second season. I hope the network slots the show properly so It has a chance to succeed.

39. Gav says:

God, the crap Americans watch and the great struff not watched is beyond me. This show is so poor, poorly written and poorly acted!

40. Alex says:

Pretty good ratings for a summer show (though it falls off HUGE from its lead-in), but the show is crap. Rehashed plots, poor writing, laughably bad acting.

41. Sue says:

This is a great show hope it continues

42. Danielle says:

Can’t wait for season 2, season 1 has been very well put together!

43. jody says:

After watching Night Shift on 6/30/14 I will never watch this show again. First of all when you see two adult men kissing and you get queasy is one reason, the second is my two male dogs try to hump each other because they aren’t smart enough to know which one is of different sex, same with my cows. But to see two grown men kissing thrown in your face on TV without warning is enough to say this is way too much…..NBC should we expect anything less from you dumb arses?

• Todd1952 says:

“When _you_ see two adult men kissing and get queasy”? Seriously? “You”? Speak for yourself if you want to express your bigotry and ignorance. What you should have written is “When I see two adult men kissing and get queasy”. Further, I find it interesting that you don’t have any problem watching all the blood, guts and gore displayed in this series, nor any of the violence of war or what sends people to the E.R. in the hospital, but when two people express love for one another, that makes you queasy. Who gives a flying –bleep– that you will no longer watch this TV show because you’re committed to self-righteous intolerance?

• JP says:

Jody, you are being ignorant. Clearly your comment has nothing to do with the plot of the show. This is 2014 and a wonderful new show. You have a problem with people and if they don’t fit in to your way of life then you have a problem with it.

44. Ethel says:

The show was great. Hope I don’t have to wait for next summer to see it again.

45. Liz says:

Since there were only 8 episodes why can’t you bring it back earlier. Instead of nex summer why not in January???????

46. Ellen shamnoski says:

I am so happy this show was renewed especially because from the look of the previews for next weeks episode we will be left with questions. I hate getting into a show and then poof it’s gone thanks NBC!!

47. Linda says:

I love this show!!!! I really hope it will be back for sure!!!!

48. Mary Fritsch says:

Great series I had it I haven’t seen anything as wonderful since ER in Chicago hope and all those all other shows that used to be on I’m so happy to see something that’s thrilling and moves quickly and is interesting and really up-to-date I’m glad to see that you’re going to be back next season and look forward to it

49. This show reminds me a lot of scrubs. Which I loved so much