Scoop: Jennifer Love Hewitt Joining Criminal Minds as Series Regular

Criminal Minds Season 10 Jennifer Love Hewitt

CBS’ Criminal Minds will fill the void left by Jeanne Tripplehorn’s departure with a lotta Love.

TVLine has learned that TV vet Jennifer Love Hewitt is joining the crime drama during Season 10 in a series regular role.

RELATED Fall TV Preview: Photos and Video From 50+ New Shows

She will play Kate Callahan, a seasoned undercover agent whose stellar work at the FBI has landed her a coveted position with the Behavioral Analysis Unit. The character will be introduced in the Oct. 1 season premiere.

“We’re thrilled to introduce a new special agent by adding the very talented Jennifer Love Hewitt to our amazing cast,” says Minds showrunner Erica Messer. “Many of us on the show have enjoyed working with her over the years and look forward to again. We have exciting storylines planned for her character and the entire BAU team as we head into our 10th season.”

RELATED | Why Was The Client List Really Cancelled?

News of Love’s casting comes seven weeks after Criminal Minds‘ May finale saw Tripplehorn’s Alex Blake signal her decision to part ways with the BAU, after a two-season stint.

Hewitt’s previous credits include Party of Five (and subsequent short-lived spin-off), Ghost Whisperer, The Client List and a couple of I Know What You Did Last Summer movies.

1. Bonnie says:

Oh yuck, no! Shark jumping commence.

• ggny says:

That doesnt even make sense. How does adding a actress to a role Shark Jumping?

• Brooke says:

Because “shark jumping” now just means “something I don’t like on a television show.”

• Tonya says:

LOL! That is the PERFECT definition of how people use the term shark jumping now. Particularly here at TVLine. Thank you internet stranger for the laugh!

• johnhelvete says:

Also the terms “plot hole” and “lazy writing” often apply to things that posters do not like about a TV show.

• Tenney says:

You can add “derivative” to that list also. That one is used when people want to sound like their taste in TV is far too advanced for whatever show they’re complaining about.

• Joey says:

Although to be fair, if there is a legitimate plothole or lazy writing, and a viewer isn’t bothered in the slightest by it, they just say that people who use the terms aren’t using them correctly.

• Dee says:

Because JLH stinks. She’s all t*ts and no talent.

• annne says:

i don’t enjoy watching her face and her eyelashes on tv. Her previous series are boring.

• Carol Haft says:

agree. She is terrible and makes me not want to watch the show. Wrote to Cbs after season premiere. So glad there are like minded viewers but how can we influence the bosses.

• Jennifer says:

I was thinking the same thing. Don’t know if I’ll be able to watch now … don’t really like her. She’s very … I don’t even know how to put it.

• jean says:

Great, I’ll be expecting a ghost to jump out!

• annne says:

agree, no please we don’t liker her

2. Michelle says:

I am NOT ok with this!

• Nate says:

Great no one cares don’t watch

• Sandi deck says:

Great answer!

• Dee says:

Nate’s just happy to have some fun bags to pant over. So what if she can’t act?

• Angela says:

There any chance we could try not going there with that kind of talk? Yes. She has a big chest. Get over it, people.

• Dee says:

Get over yourself, Church Lady.

• Angela says:

@Dee: Hmmmm…now about, no? Pardon me for suggesting people actually act like adults and talk about someone based on their acting merits instead of making stupid comments about their looks, and judging them as people based off of that alone. Her looks have squat to do with her acting ability or lack thereof.

• Guest(Real name won't be revealed until I say so) says:

@Nate Did Michelle say ANYTHING about not watching?! NO SHE DID NOT! Read her comment before you start typing stupid comments next time!

3. CMFan says:

What are they thinking, not a good match for Criminal Minds.

4. Annie says:

Oy. Hewitt is one of those performers I really *want* to like, but somehow just … can’t.

5. Carrie says:

i’m out. She’s one of those actors i just can’t stand no matter what.

• Nate says:

Well someone’s a little bitch

• Mik says:

Nobody cares. If one actress can make you stop watching the show, then you probably weren’t a fan anyway. So goodbye.

• neaorlean says:

Are you her husband’s ex boyfriend?

• Guest(Real name won't be revealed until I say so) says:

@Mik HEY! Carrie just stated her opinion! If she wasn’t a fan, then she would have not watch EVERY SINGLE EPISODE! Lighten up because you acting like a witch and i don’t like it! People like you make me sick! Putting down other people just because THEY have an opinion and that’s not ok with me! Show people who has opinions some respect! If you can’t stand what i said either get off this site and don’t come back or (in Mojo Jojo’s voice) SHUT UP!!!!!! And don’t even think about replying back because I will win this argument! P.S JLH herself killed The Client List or did you forget that, Mik?! Goodbye to YOU! (Return Of The Ronin by MVP plays)

6. Char Richo says:

Um, it’s JULY 1st, not APRIL 1st. Please tell me you just got confused…

7. Leonard says:

Dang , stopped watching CM last season . 2 reasons I’m gonna start watching again ;)

8. Steven says:

I seem to be the only one happy about this. Ghost Whisperer, in it’s early years, was really good. JLH can be a good actress.

• Carolinagirl says:

I agree. She is a pretty good actress so I am sure she can make herself believable in this role. I am certainly willing to give her the chance!

• neaorlean says:

Sure it was good, but it was different, JLH was playing little miss Sunshine McPerfect, then she played little miss Sunshine McPerfect on The Client List, I don’t see her playing anything different on Criminal Minds or a way for that type of character to fit on the show.

• Steven says:

You should watch her as a rape victim on SVU a few years back. She was good and can do dark.

• neaorlean says:

For how long? She’s one of those people that just have to be liked, and if she’s not, she’ll call you and bring you homemade muffins and compliment your garden to death. Seems like she always plays herself in her regular roles, she has the same face expressions, pretty much the same story too. How’s she going to do a different thing for a whole season or more? She has that face, like mother Theresa kind of face, she should stay in her type of shows and play the good girl, or the victim, she’s good at that – people have to like her and/or feel sorry for her, and she has to have a not so good looking best friend and look like a toothpaste commercial all the time. She’s cute, there’s just this creepy feeling about her, like if you don’t like her, she’ll strangle you with rope made from cotton candy or something.

• Huligen says:

No she was AWFUL on SVU. Her crying was funny and not sad

• cp1945 says:

I agree. She was excellent, and I thought at the time she might surprise viewers if she got a good script again. I’ll give her a chance.

9. Steve F. says:

So she went from breaking the law (The Client List) to upholding the law (Criminal Minds). Never let it be said that Jennifer Love Hewitt hasn’t had an interesting career…

10. dru says:

talk about random casting. huh

11. Karyn says:

cough, cough, gag. Big mistake!

12. Kim says:

Not sure if its a good fit, but I never thought Jeanne Tripplehorn meshed well with the cast. I liked the Ghost Whisperer, so I will be giving a try. Can’t say no without giving it a chance. It is certainly a big change for her.

• Funda says:

She will ruin everything and CM will be cancelled instead of getting a 11st season

• bj says:

I agree with you about Jeanne. I just couldn’t relate to her character at all. I liked Ghost Whisperer and I’m more than willing to give JLH a chance. Some people are so negative it’s a wonder they can find anything they like on tv.

• Guest(Real name won't be revealed until I say so) says:

Well @bj people CAN be negative all they want. You want to know why they’re negative? Because this chick will be on it basically jumping the shark in the process and if she happens to get negative reception by critics AND fans which she will then viewers will quit meaning ratings drop further meaning no 11th season and Jennifer will really get hated on. Another thing people CAN be negative (IN HIM from the Powerpuff Girls voice) BECAUSE IT”S THEIR OPINION! So deal with it!

• If I say I don’t like something I am not being negative. I am just giving my opinion, which is as valid as yours or anyone else’s. I just don’t like this actress, as I don’t like vanilla ice cream. Why? Who knows. But I know I just see her on tv and she makes me change the channel.

• Jennifer says:

Oh, hell no! I may be in the minority but I liked Tripplehorn’s character. I adore this show even if it’s occasionally a little Shemar heavier then I’d like but Hewitt has annoyed me on just about anything I’ve ever watched her in. I flat out don’t understand the fascination with her. She really seems to have only one facial expression. FYI-Squinty is NOT a charming facial expression. And, PLEASE for the love of God, DO NOT pair her up romantically with ANYONE on this show! I’m not saying they will but I need to put that out there. I will stick with the show as I have for last 9 season but that doesn’t mean I have to like her. Erica, it’s up to you to prove me wrong.

• Angela says:

They haven’t paired off any of the team members up to this point, so I can’t see them doing so now.
        (Watch, I say that and now I’ll be proven wrong :p. But seriously, though, I agree with you on the “no pairing” thing. Hopefully her character will be in a happy relationship already or something.)

• jenferner8 says:

I was referring to the history this show has of making fans want to see various “pairings” within the team. I could easily see Aaron and Emily together at some point but early on in the show they seem to try to “pair” Reid and JJ up. Also as much as I love the Garcia/Derek interactions, and despite the show’s giving them both separate dating lives, it’s gotten a little much last few seasons. Last season it got extremely tiring and nauseating. I really don’t care if her character is in a happy relationship. Honestly, I think it’d be great if she were gay of course it wouldn’t be her primary feature but she’d be more interesting. I heard several seasons ago there was speculation about Emily, the show’s writers or something hadn’t even decided, they said even they didn’t know if Emily was gay, straight or bi-sexual.

• Angela says:

Oh, yeah, I had a feeling you were referring to that, too, sorry if my post was unclear on that :). I totally agree with you. There are in-team pairings I do like discussing and all that fun stuff (I’m one who is partial to Reid/JJ, for instance, and I’m cool with Hotch and Emily as a pairing idea, too).
            But I don’t expect to ever see any of them actually happen on the show, and I’m totally fine with that. That’s not what the show’s about, and besides that, considering what often happens to the female love interests of the male team members, it’s probably in the female team members’ best interests things stay strictly professional and platonic for that reason alone :p! This show is a rarity in the sense that none of its main characters have wound up in a romantic relationship with each other, and I think that definitely adds to its appeal for some viewers. They’ve managed to last eight years without pairing anyone off, and save for Reid and Rossi*, everyone else seems to be in happy, fulfilling relationships outside the team, so I’m all for leaving that setup as it stands.
            I’m personally not bugged by the Morgan/Garcia interaction in general, but you raise a very fair complaint-I can see why some people feel it’s way overdone at times. Especially considering the seriousness and time sensitivity of the cases they’re working.
            That would be cool if they made her character a lesbian, it’d be a neat change of pace. The show does seem to have a very strong pro-gay attitude in general (something I’ve always appreciated), so it wouldn’t be too out of the realm of possibility. And that makes perfect sense about Emily, too-I’ve no problem believing she would be the sort who would’ve, at the very least, explored her sexuality a little further.
            *(I will say that I do hope Rossi and Reid can find their own romantic happiness down the line, too.)

• Angela says:

*Nine years, not eight. Yay, math :p.

13. Ruth says:

Did Jeanne Tripplehorn want to leave? Or was this an executive decision?

• dragons3 says:

I think I read somewhere that Tripplehorn’s contract was up and she decided not to return. Include me with the ones who just couldn’t stand her character. I don’t think she added anything to the show. I don’t have a problem with JLH joining the cast. I’ll reserve judgment until I see what they do with her and how she meshes with the other cast members. I’ve liked her in some things and not liked her in others.

• jenferner8 says:

I believe when she signed on it was specifically for one season, per her wish.

• Angela says:

Oh, really? Hadn’t heard that.
        I do hope that it was her decision to leave for her own personal reasons, and not because she felt unaccepted by fans or the powers that be forced her out or something. It’s a shame she wasn’t able to better connect with many viewers…I liked her, personally.

• jenferner8 says:

Me too, I think we are in minority as to those who liked her. I loved that she was married and the guy who played him, wish we could have gotten more of that. I think if she’d wanted to stay the show would have kept her but I got the feeling she had other projects she wanted to work on. But as far as I know or remember her leaving had nothing to do with feeling unaccepted by the fans. In fact I remember reading after the finale that Erica said the low key exit was Tripplehorn’s idea. After discussing Alex’s exit, I assume with Erica, and how it would happen, with all the past Emily drama they thought it would be a better exit, no big production. “Quiet” character, quiet exit, I think it was handled very well but I will miss her.

• Angela says:

I think so, too. But hey, that’s the great thing about this show, every character has its fans, even if there’s only a few of them. I liked her marriage, too, and seeing how she and her husband balanced their lives together and separately. I thought we got some intriguing backstory on her this past season with the episode where she saw her family again and then all the stuff with Ethan, and it’s a shame that we won’t get to learn more about those parts of her life and past. Plus, I liked her interaction with the team, particularly Rossi and Reid.
            That’s good, then, if that’s how it all went down-I’m glad she was able to leave on her own terms and do what made her happy and that the split was amicable. I like the way they wrapped things up with her, too-her getting into that cab at the end left so many possibilities (going back to her husband, going back to teaching, doing something else entirely), and I like that she and Reid got to have a touching little heart-to-heart before she left, that they got to say goodbye to each other, sad though the scene was. And for those of us who tend to be quiet and stay in the background in our everyday lives, it was nice to have a character like her to relate to and appreciate.

14. MattArmando says:

I mean, GOOD for her for getting back on TV… with a major role.

Is she particularly fit for this type of show? Not really.

15. Steven says:

Another brunette, what a surprise.

16. Lauren says:

Talk about the most random thing ever. LOL Although, I can’t lie, I am excited for this. Jennifer Love Hewitt has always been an actress I really liked. I was hoping she would have a huge film career, but it seems TV seems to be where she has all her success. I’m hoping this will another success for her!

• Katie says:

I totally agree! criminal minds is one of my favourite shows, Jennifer Love Hewitt seems nice, and I’m hoping whatever character she plays will work well. If it doesn’t work out I’m sure the writers will come up with some serial killer to finish her off.

17. Iakovos says:

This is not so bad. By the time these series (including the CSIs) get long in the tooth, it does not matter who walks in the characters’ shoes. There have been some engaging personalities and breakout stars, along with favorites in the casts, and the changes are welcome to keep the telling of the stories fresh. Am surprised CM remains so highly rated as the stories are so dark and unpleasant without much in the way of light. JLH will not bring down the show, people. It would keep on keeping on anyway.

18. Anthea says:

I am happy about it she was good in ghost whisperer and she did a damn good job in SVU so I am not going to write the show off I will give it a few episodes to get their footing before I judge it

19. Jeremy B. says:

Can’t say that I dislike her… I really love the show, so this is certainly NO reason to stop watching. And I always thought that Blake should go with her husband, so… bring it on.

20. Connie says:

I like JLH but agree really bad choice. Sorry she is so not right for CM. It would take a lot of convincing to change my mind.

21. Stacy says:

JLH can be a good actress, it all depends on how her role is written and if she is going to play a goodie two shoes like in Ghost Whisperer or if she is going to play someone who is a little more down to earth. As long as she doesn’t cry every episode and they focus on her face and not her chest. It might work and that is a BIG might.

22. Nope. I’m not good with this! Wth!!! First blake and now her? Just leave it for gods sake!

23. Sara says:

Meh. I’m not the biggest Jennifer Love Hewitt fan, but she has occasionally done some good work. I have to reserve judgement until I actually see what her character is like on the show.

24. Joanne says:

YES! I love her acting

25. Sarah says:

Wait, what?! Is this also an official announcement that Jeann Tripplehorn isn’t returning or did I miss that?

• bluefairy says:

Blake was subtly written out in the season finale and there was an official announcement at that point.

26. Chris says:

Who would have been a better idea than Jennifer Love Hewitt as a new person on the show ?

27. Angela says:

Hmmmmm. Interesting choice…I’m with everyone else who finds this news totally random and unexpected. I’m having a very hard time picturing her on the show, let alone on the team, but guess we’ll find out come October how well she meshes! Hopefully it’ll all work out.

28. stuiterbal.dreamer@gmail.com says:

This should be interesting!
    I didn’t even know Jeanne Tripplehorn was leaving though!

29. neaorlean says:

How long before she tries to get her amazingly untalented boyfriend into the show and she gets kicked off?

30. pete says:

how about seeing her in the role before judging. Quit being so quick to dismiss it.

• Guest(Real name won't be revealed until I say so) says:

@pete How about respecting other people’s opinions?! WE CAN judge and dismiss something quickly if we want to! Quit acting like a butthurt bitter loser who has his feelings hurt just because WE have an opinion! There’s a thing called Freedom Of Speech for a reason! LEARN IT AND Lighten up! And don’t even think about replying back to me because I will win this argument! P.S JLH herself killed the Client List or did you forget that, pete?! (Return Of The Ronin by MVP plays)

31. Andrew Hass says:

I’m going to keep an open mind about this and wait to see how she does on Criminal Minds first.Plus it could be interesting to see what kind of character she plays on the show.

32. Don J says:

I’ve always liked Jennifer Love Hewitt. She was great on Ghost Whisperer and I know she has alot of fans, which may not start watching CM. Give her time to fit in. Alot of people hated Blake when she came in to replace Prentiss as well. The show is going into season 10 now and I think the cast is solid overall, but IMO it needed to get a little younger.

33. The interesting thing is that outcomes are also much better than what you get by conducting
    different conventional marketing campaigns. All of us know that anything
    supersonic is meant to be beyond the speed of sound.
    It would substantially greater and a lot easier to go following more distinct
    phrases, and even greater to had the place in them.

34. Viv says:

I have nothing against her as an actress but honestly I hoped they wouldn´t add someone new…. why don´t leave it as it is?

35. Sandra Robinson says:

Yuk , is the right word. Any one but her.

36. B says:

Erm, ok.

I feel kind of indifferent.

Good luck to her, I hope the show manages to integrate her character while keeping the focus on all the team as well.

I don’t know what or who I was expecting, but I’m not thrilled nor devastated by the casting, so open minded might be the way to go.

Not loving the undercover part of the characters background though. It seems like all the female agents story lines are kind of interchangeable at this point, even Garcia went kind of undercover last season. They might do something brilliant with her character, I just hope they don’t ignore the other two females on the show. Garcia needs more development and so does JJ (I’m still annoyed 200 has been properly addressed or that we still don’t completely know why she became a profiler or how she felt about becoming a profiler. And why has no one on the team commented on JJ’s changes or the trauma she went through.)

Anyway, got side tracked…

Overall, ok casting I guess, but will wait and see to form a better judgement.

37. Sheldon W. says:

Swell. One of TV’s most pneumatic actors joining broadcast TV’s most misogynist show. Talk about a real match made in heaven…

38. Ashley says:

What?! I mean, I don’t want to be judgmental before we see what she can do, but…what?!

39. FB says:

Umm, what? So random lol

40. Mel A says:

And now I’m done with Criminal Minds.

41. Oh yes, then i can start to watch Criminal Minds again. Jeanne Tripplehorn completely ruined the show for me, so glad to hear she is leaving.

42. Bella says:

I remember being appalled when they announced that Michael Keaton was going to play Batman. What? Michael Keaton? Batman? He’s in comedies. And he’s short! Yet, I loved him in the role. I can’t imagine them giving Jennifer Love Hewitt series regular status on a venerable series like this without believing she’d be a good fit. It’s hard to fathom, but I’m still willing to see how it goes.

• Terry says:

Yeah, but we don’t know why the decision was made. Deals being cut? Agents applying pressure? Clearly this was not a well-thought out decision. At least, IMHO.

• Aimee says:

” I can’t imagine them giving Jennifer Love Hewitt series regular status on a venerable series like this without believing she’d be a good fit.”

Um…these are the same people who thought it would be a good idea to get rid of JJ and bring in a younger and cheaper clone. You are trusting them on this? Good luck with that.

43. whisperintherain says:

So, so, so glad I don’t watch this show. This woman can’t act. Ah, if only she had followed her own character’s advice on Hot in Cleveland: “You can’t really be a good mom and keep acting.”

Very sorry for Criminal Minds’ loyal audience. I remember being so relieved when the rumors of her replacing Mariska Hargitay on SVU were debunked.

44. Ursula says:

NONONONO what are they thinking!!!!!!!!

45. glo says:

She will be great in the show. I luv the show and all the actors in it. Didn’t AJ Cook use to be in the old soap opera guiding light a few years back. I believe her name was Morgan and her love interest was Jon Wesley Shipp.

46. Braddock says:

Why the gang is fine with the way they are now. Seeing this now I’d rather have Blake back than seeing her.

47. Terry says:

Seriously???? Couldn’t they get an actress of the caliber of Jeanne Triplehorn and the other actors on the show?? Joe Mantegna? Mandy Patinkin, for goodness sake? She’s not even in the same universe with them.

48. Braddock says:

And the lord wept.

49. lafortin9 says:

I love her and was a huge Ghost Whisperer fan. She is going to do a great job. I have been a huge fan since day one, watch reruns all the time too. I can see it. People just have to hibr her a chance.