TVLine Items: Fuller Eyes American Gods, Hysteria at Amazon and More

American Gods Starz

The man behind TV’s Hannibal is taking on another popular book: Neil Gaiman’s American Gods.

Writer/producers Bryan Fuller and Michael Green (The River, Kings) are penning an adaptation of the urban fantasy novel for Starz.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

Fuller and Green will serve as showrunners on the potential series, while Gaiman will be an executive producer.

“Neil Gaiman has created the holiest of holy toy boxes with American Gods and filled it with all manner of magical thing, born of new gods and old,” said Fuller in a statement. “Michael Green and I are thrilled to crack this toy box wide open and unleash the fantastical titans of heaven and earth and Neil’s vividly prolific imagination.”

American Gods was previously in development at HBO.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Amazon has officially added the thriller Hysteria to its third round of pilots, per Deadline. The project stars Mena Suvari (Chicago Fire) as an exceptionally bright but socially awkward neurologist/psychiatrist who travels to her hometown of Austin, Texas, to investigate a mysterious epidemic that might be spreading among high school girls — via technology. Grey’s Anatomy alum T.R. Knight plays her imprisoned brother.

* The BET Awards on Sunday night, hosted by Chris Rock, drew 7.9 million total viewers, out sister site Deadline reports.

* Don’t have WGN America? You may still be able to check out the network’s new original series Manhattan, which will encore on Tribune stations in 33 markets nationwide on premiere night, July 27, including WPIX/New York, KTLA/Los Angeles, WGN/Chicago, WPHL/Philadelphia and WDCW/Washington, DC.

1. Sara says:

I am so excited by the potential American Gods production!!! I feel like Bryan Fuller has a real chance of actually getting a quality production of this on air.

2. Cassandra says:

I’m beyond thrilled with this announcement. I was extremely bummed when I heard HBO had lost the chance to do this show, but with Fuller on board, I think may have been for the best.

3. MrScreenAddict says:

I know lots of people will be excited about ‘American Gods’ finally coming to TV… But what the heck does this mean for ‘Hannibal’?? Will Fuller be stepping away? Or can he do both at the same time? ‘Hannibal’ without Fuller is something I don’t even want to imagine.

• Reality says:

Same here, not to mention the fact that even doing both shows may take it’s toll. One will suffer and it could end up being Hannibal. Look at Buffy the Vampire Slayer after Joss started running Angel as well. It suffered for 2 seasons and then Joss left completely and it really started to hurt (nympho Buffy anyone?). I hope Fuller wakes the hell up and sticks to one show at a time, he’s absolutely lucky to have Hannibal considering it’s the first show he’s ever created to surpass 2 seasons.

• N says:

^ I so agree!

4. Tom Charles says:

Bryan Fuller doing American Gods……………………the only way it could be better is if Joss Whedon were working on it with him

• Tai says:

That would just be amazingly brilliant but Bryan Fuller is more than enough for me. This bit of news just brightened my day. So excited for this project to finally come to television.

• Drew says:

I have to disagree. Whedon hasn’t done anything good since Firefly went off the air, and even in his glory days, his style would be all wrong for this.

Fuller though… Brilliant. I can’t even imagine anyone else doing it now. He can balance quirky supernatural ideas with dark and disturbing ideas. I am looking forward to seeing his take on so many scenes from the book.

• Katie_Mead says:

Too many cooks spoil the broth. I could just about imagine Whedon’s version of Gaiman’s creation working, and I can definitely see Fuller’s version working really well, but I couldn’t see a version of Gaiman pulled one way by Whedon, another by Fuller, with Gaiman himself hanging hanging around to knock their heads together.
      So, I take it that Playtone’s 6-season commitment to American Gods went down the drain with the HBO deal? I was ready to trust the Playtone adaptation would be enduring and of good quality, but Fuller night just be a far better match stylistically.
      Let’s hope it sticks this time.

5. Mo says:

What does this mean for Hannibal?? Pleeeaase don’t leave hannibal Bryan. Just Please.

6. Joey says:

Why oh why isn’t it still with HBO. D:

7. Babybop says:

Bryan Fuller could do a multi-cam comedy based off the musical Cats and I would watch it. I doubt he’d leave Hannibal… he loves it too much!

8. Margaery says:

Michael Green was the writer and creator of Kings – which I adored. Bodes well.

9. Isobel says:

Bryan Fuller doing American Gods sounds brilliant!!!

10. Boone says:

I will probably watch the “Amercan Gods” thing but just for Fuller. I’m more excited by Shaun Cassidy new show “Hysteria”. That guy is a underrated genius (i.e. American Gothic, Invasion)

11. i do believe that a concept like american gods (which is miles away from anythithing we ever saw) is genius that ended on starz , a channel that didn’t get scared with spartacus (on the other hand i find davinci awfull!)
    bryan fuller might finally find artistic freedom with a good script (i do believe hannibal even though is incredible in style and great actors the script is bloody boring!) and give us let’s hope one of the best series of the decade.
    if turns bad well at least they tried!!!