The New Doctor Who's Exact Arrival Date Is Set — Watch Teaser

Doctor Who Premiere Date Capaldi

Looks like your next Doctor‘s appointment is all set!

The eighth season of Doctor Who will be landing on your screen Saturday, August 23 at 8/7c, with the feature-length episode “Deep Breath,” BBC America announced on Friday.

RELATED | Doctor Who Casts Ben Miller as ‘Storming Villain’

Peter Capaldi (Torchwood, The Thick Of It) will be stepping into Matt Smith’s shoes (or bow tie) as he takes on the role of the titular Time Lord. The Twelfth Doctor’s look finds him “[weaving] the future from the cloth of the past,” the actor previously described. “Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord.”

Watch an all-too-brief (yet still provocative) new teaser video below.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Premieres, Scheduling News, Video

1. CBWBDK1 says:

Can’t wait!!

2. nyhn says:

yay finally, just 2 more months!…it should be today!

3. Nessie says:

Feature length? As in movie length so double that of a normal episode?

• Moment says:

Could be a 60 minute episode.

• rowan77 says:

Nope, feature length means two hours.

• The Last Doctor says:

Not necessarily. The Day of the Doctor was described as feature length and that came in at just over 75 minutes, I believe. I certainly wouldn’t be expecting anything much longer than that. Although as far as I’m concerned an extra minute on the end of the episode is good if it means more action from Capaldi’s Doctor.

• Moment says:

Not in the British sense. Other BBC shows have had specials before that come at an odd runtime.

For example The Time of the Doctor was 60 minutes long.

• Angus says:

They’re all 60 minutes long.

4. DarkDefender says:

I can’t believe they are skipping SDCC.

5. Moment says:

I thought Peter Capaldi was a great choice to play a character that’s near enough 1000 years old. These days it was like the Doctor was getting younger and younger to try and get the show to appeal to teenage girls or something, which seemed to have worked for the BBC.

I hope people take to him like they have the others, he deserves multiple seasons.

• liz says:

ya, cause how awful is it to appeal to teenage girls. Let’s get back to appealing to the hetero white dudes of the world.
      /sarcasm

• S. says:

You can’t even see your own bigotry. It’s a shame, and also ironic. Not everybody that likes Peter Capaldi is a white male. I know that may come as a shock to you. Some of us are just fine with the choice of the Doctor and are looking forward to him even if we aren’t white males ourselves. We don’t feel the need to decry white male privilege in the process of observing an iconic tv character. Don’t be one of those people the Dowager commented about on Downton Abbey. In reference to Isobel she said “She runs on indignation.” I think instead of standing up for a necessary change in The Doctor, people like you get off on being offended that it wasn’t a woman or whatever. You’ll deny it and act like you’re nobly fighting for something, but you’re not really trying to pick the right actor at all. If you were “a woman” wouldn’t have been the rallying cry. It would’ve been ‘cast whoever’s right for the part regardless of race/gender!’ and if they happened to be a white male, it shouldn’t have bothered you. You assumed the selection of a white male was something to get upset about…because you like getting upset, whether you admit it or not. Peter Capaldi is a wonderful choice. You’re missing out by not appreciating that.

• Moment says:

S. summed up my thoughts perfectly, but I will say that people who only watch the show because they find the Doctor to be hot aren’t real fans. Especially if they’re willing to jump ship because the Doctor is old again. If you look through Doctor Whos history, there’s been a few old Doctors, and a fair few 30s/40s age ones too. You don’t need a 20s(Matt Smith) age actor to make a good Doctor Who series.

• Audie Murphy says:

Obviously older actors like Peter Capaldi (56) and George Clooney (53) are a huge turnoff to younger women who don’t have the intelligence to appreciate well written stories and the emotional struggles the Doctor will face.

6. Sheldon W. says:

Wow! That was definitely a teaser! If I wasn’t already counting the days, this would have hooked me…

7. Aries says:

It seems like we’ve waiting forever for this! August can’t come soon enough!!!

8. I remember him in torchwood and I have seen him in a number of other things—but wasn’t he also in a Dr. Who episode featuring the Doctor and Donna when they visited Pompei?

9. kd83954 says:

the noises i just made.

10. LAB says:

Some of these hipster comments are kinda funny. (You’re not a real fan, I liked him first…teenage girls!) Who cares how you arrived at Dr. Who, as long as you’re enjoying it? I can’t wait for August. Tom Baker was the Doctor I grew up with but I’ve given each one a fair shot. Peter Capaldi should be brilliant. Ben Wheatley directing the first two episodes – I don’t see how it can get any better than that.