Exclusive

The Goldbergs Prepping 'Very Expensive' John Hughes Homage

The Goldbergs John Hughes Episode

The Goldbergs is cooking up some kind of wonderful John Hughes tribute.

Series creator Adam F. Goldberg tells TVLine that a Season 2 episode will feature an homage to one of the late filmmaker’s classic ’80s flicks.

“We are writing it now,” he confirms. “I’m not going to reveal [which film] it is yet. But it’s going to be very difficult to shoot and very expensive. So it’ll be a real nightmare, but hopefully, it’ll turn out great.”

RELATED Fall TV Preview: Photos and Video From 50+ New Shows

The special outing will likely air midway through the season “when we’re starting to run out of steam,” Goldberg adds with a laugh. “We’ll hopefully gain some steam with our John Hughes episode.”

For her part, the show’s leading lady Wendi McLendon-Covey swears she hasn’t been told which Hughes pic will get the Goldbergs treatment. But if she had to guess… ? “I love Sixteen Candles,” she shares. “But it seems like The Breakfast Club might be a better fit.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. N says:

I love the Goldbergs!

2. Flutiefan says:

I’m so excited for this episode! Wendi McLendon-Covey has found her perfect role.

3. Trina says:

I love this show!

4. Mary says:

I love The Goldbergs!!!! I especially love when we get to see Adam Goldberg’s real video snipps at the end of the shows!

• meleliot says:

I too love the real video snippets at the end. The Goldbergs was the best new sitcom of last year. I hope more people watch this season. Hopefully it will turn into a work horse show like Modern Family. Love every character. Adam has done a perfect job depicting the 80s in Philly!

5. Drew says:

Ferris Bueller parade scene? That would be expensive to recreate…

• dq18 says:

I’m with you. When he said “difficult to shoot and very expensive” the first place my head went was Ferris. I truly think that could be great! Maybe Barry pulls a Ferris, but being Barry he HAS to get caught, right?

6. I love, love, love the Goldbergs….please continue with the great writing and episodes, I love all the characters.

7. Jason Paul says:

Looking forward to this one!

8. Jason says:

Don’t forget about National Lampoon’s Vacation, i would think that would fit the difficult and expensive criteria as well

9. Diz says:

I’m going to love it no matter what it is. My favorite comedy right now!

10. Delirious says:

My guess would be along the lines of Wendi’s… Adam involved in a Sixteen Candles type of issue (being the b’day boy, or someone else’s), or him being grounded for a day, Breakfast Club style, and requiring a whole school for the filming.

11. tmueller724@gmail.com says:

We just moved into a new neighborhood and as my husband looked around he said, “Crap.This is like the episode of the Goldbergs when they met their neighbors….. and we’re the Goldbergs.”

12. Fan says:

Awesome show! So glad we’re getting season 2! It fills the Raising Hope sized hole in my heart :(