TVLine Items: Are TV Binges Deadly? Plus: B99 Star Hosts TCA Awards, More

Deadly Binge Watching

That Orange Is the New Black marathon just might “shorten your sentence,” if you catch our drift.

In a new study conducted by the University of Navarra in Pamplona, Spain, and published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, participants who watched “three or more hours a day of television viewing had a twofold higher risk of mortality than those reporting less than one hour a day.”

PHOTOS Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

More specifically, the eight-year study found that for every two extra hours of TV-viewing, the participants — average age 37 — were 44 percent more likely to die from heart disease or stroke, 21 percent more likely to die of cancer and 55 percent more likely to die from other causes, NBC News reports.

The study also noted that kicking back in the recliner to consume mass quantities of TV is a more passive activity than driving a car or working on a computer, possibly lowering your metabolism more than just sitting and doing nothing.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Brooklyn Nine-Nine star Terry Crews will host the 30th Annual Television Critics Association (TCA) Awards on Saturday, July 19. A full list of nominees can be found here.

RELATED Critics’ Choice Awards: Fargo, OITNB, Breaking Bad, Normal Heart, Cosmos and Allison Janney Are Big Winners

* Turner Classic Movies will pay tribute to legendary actor Eli Wallach, who passed away on Wednesday at the age of 98, with an 11-hour film marathon on Monday, June 30. The schedule includes How the West Was Won, The Misfits and Baby Doll.

* MTV will air the 90-minute one-off 16 and Pregnant: Life After Labor Finale Special on Tuesday, July 1 at 10/9c, leading into 16 and Pregnant: Unseen Moments.

1. Rebecca Parker says:

But what a way to go.

2. SJ says:

Oh please, those “studies” are a bunch of bull… Can they scientifically show me the correlation between watching TV and getting cancer or heart disease? Those people all probably had a family history of those illnesses or had some unhealthy habits (smoking, eating fatty foods etc.) Just to be clear, I’m not hating on you guys for reporting it, it’s just I find these “studies” – and I use the term very loosely – to be complete and utter nonsense made for the sole purpose of fear mongering. “Kids, don’t watch TV. Read a book or you’ll die!”

3. Babybop says:

The reason the two are associated is because people who watch a lot of TV also tend to have unhealthy habits such as a bad diet and a lack of physical activity. Watching TV is not the cause of the mortalilty – binge eating and not exercising are. I watch probably 5 or 6 hours of TV a day (I have things on in the background when I do homework) but I also eat well and exercise and I’m perfectly healthy. So take that, study!

• Ally Oop says:

I agree 100%. I watch a lot of tv and always have but I wish I got more excercise. Prior to having kids I spent a lot of time at the gym, the pool and outdoors in general and I biked everywhere. Now I do very little of those things. And most of my tv watching occurs after the kiddies go to bed–there’s not much else to do. Hopefully when the kids get older I will get into a healthier lifestyle again but I know I’ll always be a big tv watcher.

4. I watch TV shows in 5 -10 minutes bites on a computer while doing a number of other things simultaneously. So presumably that cancels out the passivity effect the study comments on. But given that it started eight years ago the study was probably unable to cope with new forms of TV consumption.

5. A-C says:

Well, at least I’ll die because I was doing what I love.

6. tp says:

You also sit still while reading a book for more that a few hours. Does is make a difference what medium it is? I’m a hair stylist so I stand all day at work. Does that counteract the effects of watching a bunch of stuff on my dvr when I get home? I hate these studies that spew out all these “facts” without any solutions for what you should be doing instead.

7. tp says:

I think it’s hilarious that in the same article about dying if you watch more than 2 hours of tv there’s info on an 11 hour marathon. lmao.

8. AnnieM says: