The CW's Fall Schedule Opens in Early October, The Flash Gets Big Boost

The Flash Casting Girder Villain

For a third year running, The CW is launching its fall TV season in October, opening with Vampire Diaries and Reign and then finishing things up later in the month by dialing up The 100.

Most notably amidst the roll-out plan, the highly buzzy superhero spin-off The Flash will get two aprés-Arrow showcases following its launch (on Oct. 7), while Supernatural is getting a “retrospective special” as it heads into Season 10.

The CW is the third network to show their hand, following NBC and CBS.

On tap for midseason: Beauty and the Beast, Hart of Dixie and the new series iZombie and The Messengers.

PHOTOS | Fall TV: Your Guide to What’s New!

All told, The CW’s sked looks like this. New shows in CAPS; click title for details.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 2
8 pm The Vampire Diaries
9 pm Reign

MONDAY, OCTOBER 6
8 pm The Originals
9 pm Supernatural
retrospective special

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 7
8 pm THE FLASH (new)
9 pm Supernatural

RELATED Fall TV Poll: Tuesday — NCIS Vs. The Flash and Other DVR Dilemmas

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 8
8 pm Arrow
9 pm The Flash (premiere encore)

MONDAY, OCTOBER 13
9 pm JANE THE VIRGIN (new)

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 15
9 pm The Flash (Episode 2 encore)

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 17
8 pm Jane the Virgin (premiere encore)
9 pm America’s Next Top Model (Cycle 21 will have premiered Aug. 22)

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 22
9 pm The 100

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: The Carrie Diaries, Nikita, Star-Crossed and The Tomorrow People

1. spindae2 says:

Oh nice timing! They really believe in the Flash! October isn’t that far away! ^_^

• Zack Quinti says:

when is Nikita starting?

• Brandy says:

Nikita ended in late Dec after a six episode fourth & final season.Shane West(Micheal) is on Salem,Maggie Q (Nikita)is on Stalker,Melinda Clarke ( Amanda)is on Dallas now.I hear they guys that played Percy & Birkoffs also landed new roles but I can’t remember what.

• Brandy says:

Nikita will air in syndicated reruns on Pivot network starting in Jan.

• Jake says:

The actor that played Percy is also on Salem with Shane.

• Katie_Mead says:

Aaron Stanford (hot nerd Seymour Birkhoff) is the lead on Syfy’s 12 Monkeys remake, with support from Noah Bean (pretty CIA analyst turned Division Director Ryan Fletcher); Rob Stewart (clear-masked cleaner Roan) is a regular on Working the Engels – and Brandy, I know you know where he’s been in between ;) ); Lyndie Greenwood (female hot tech Sonya with the uptight hair) has been upped from fan favoured ‘recurring’ status to ‘regular’ for the 2nd season of Sleepy Hollow as Jenny Mills (scary hot commando sister to cute hot detective lead); Dillon Casey (Oversight Seal & Alex’ toyboy Sean Pierce) is male lead on Canadian Global’s med precedural Remedy, between seasons of which he is also lead on theCW’s Backpackers).

• Pati D says:

The guy that played Percy is on Salem with Shane West.

• Lore says:

Come on, the flash pilot was leaked yesterday, and let me tell you is awesome

• Fido says:

Definately hit the ground running :) – but I’m gonna say no more.

• Maya says:

I don’t know about awesome, it had some weak moments- but it is the pilot so they have time to fix things cut a few things before it airs. however, the last half a minute was unexpected (at least to me as i don’t really know much about the flash comics universe) especially that Queen bit..
        and oh yea i can totally see myself shipping Caitlin and Barry, there was chemistry, but he also seem to had chemistry with Iris who i found was a good mix between cute and bitchy but not a real bitch (you know what i mean?), she was worlds better than her Arrow equivalent, Laurel- better actress too it seems.

• Mark says:

The only thing was the total lack or even mention of a certain’s character’s connection with Barry, which I found strange….

• Heather says:

Lol I’m with you on that

2. David says:

I hate that they are holding Hart of Dixie but at least it’s coming back. I was kind of soured against the premise for Jane the Virgin and I still think it’s too ridiculous but the trailer I saw for it was actually not horribke ao I’ll probably give it a shot.

• Jake says:

HOD should have been axed. Horrible acting, horrible story telling…Not sure why the CW holds on that one. IMO Nikita was far better than HOD.

• Brandy says:

HoD was kept because of syndication(just like Nikita despite terrible season three ratings)& being cheap to produce & stable in ratings.Nikita was ended cause Maggie and Craig only wanted four seasons and Nikita had terrible ratings just like HoD plus Nikita was exspensive.

• David says:

How about because it’s an entertaining show that despite low rqtingsthey are somewhat stable and the CW at leqleqst Iine show about normal people without some kind of supernatural element?

• Ava says:

HOD is a cute, funny, feel good show that kind of lost its’ way mid season this year. I’m hopeful with Zade in the finale that next year it will be back on track for a fulfilling final season.

3. A says:

At least we have Comic-Con next month for Arrow/Flash, and the Flash pilot leaked already :)

4. Linda says:

I hope there will be new interviews with Jared and Jensen during this retrospective special along with earlier season episode clips.

5. Katherine says:

What does the “retrospective special” mean? I’m excited!

6. Tran says:

The Flash: AWESOME. Jane the Virgin: NOT SO AWESOME. Can’t believe that the new season of The 100 is going to premiered on October 22nd and Reign is still the one show I really don’t care about.

7. Justin says:

Is The 100 a full season this year?

• Brandy says:

I don’t think so.CW hasn’t said it is and CW has only 10 hours and 13-14 shows(WLIIA,ANTM,HoD,BatB,The 100,Messengers,Flash,Jane the Virgin,I Zombie,Arrow,Reign,VD,SPN,TO) to fit in the 10 hours.VD,SPN,Reign,Arrow,TO all have full seasons and four shows for midseason(BatB,HoD,IZombie,Messengers)to fit in.Not a lot of room for The 100,Messengers,HoD,BatB to get full seasons.Plus,the showrunners said they prefer to keep it to 13 episodes a season.Pedowitz didn’t want to confirm episodes for The 100,HoD,BatB( BatB & HoD were confirmed to be 13& 10 episodes by people who work on the show on twitter though).

• Justin says:

Thanks a lot.

• Brandy says:

I just read the showrunner said it got more than 13 but less than 22.Deadline also said in the last renewal buzz update and when the cancellations/renewals announcement were released and when the schedule for next season was released that The 100,BatB,HoD would most Likley got short orders.

8. Sam says:

So they’ve decided to not do anything Fridays at 8? At least not new programming. Not sure if that’s a good decision or bad decision.

• Rebooted says:

I believe the Whose Line Episode slide over October 3 and will run two weeks until Jane repeated on the 17th.

9. Zorkel says:

I’m so happy to see The Flash get such early support

10. sarah says:

They should have the Flash on Wednesdays permanently! I guess they are showing repeats at that time to see if it pairs well with Arrow.
    Then Thursdays should be TVD and Originals!

• Brandy says:

They want the spinoffs to stand on thier own,be self-starters and not be leadin dependant

• Pennie says:

then they should write good spin-offs. TO is going to die in it’s new slot against Gotham. I used to love Klaus and Co. but they lost me with all the baby drama, telanovela crap, so I am going to watch Gotham now. Sorry JoMo. I still love you! Just not your show.

• jbj says:

So, they lost you at the pilot? TO hade a great freshman season and the finale was complimented by critics who normally aren’t so keen on CW shows, and adored by those who do like them.

11. Lore says:

Im ashamed to say that i want ANTM now

12. James D says:

it’s a real shame Nikita is gone it was a good show, far better than 100 or reign in my opinion, but excited for the Flash and Arrow.

13. Ava says:

I’m so excited for TVD, Reign, & The 100. The finales for TVD an The 100 were incredible. Can’t wait for next season!

14. Tran says:

Is the CW thinking about a “final season” of Supernatural?

15. Joey Padron says:

Glad they’re putting encores of first two The Flash episodes after Arrow for two weeks. It’ll help show’s ratings and get more people to check out show.

16. Ella says:

A retrospective special?! Er, should we be worried that this really is Supernatural’s last season?!

• Mikael says:

I’m hoping that it’s because it’s entering its 10th season which is quite an accomplishment anyway, as well as in the cancel-ready tv world we live in now. If Supernatural does end, I hope they get a whole season’s notice so they can wrap it up properly.

17. soso says:

By the way, it’s spelled “après” not “aprés”. It’s an accent grave, not aigu.

18. Vicki says:

These nightly pairings confuse me. I would have put The Originals and Vampire Diaries together. The Flash and Arrow together. But how does the CW expect it will carry over viewers from The Originals to Jane the Virgin? That seems like two different audiences to me. And while there is something to be said for expanding the demographic of your viewership, the CW generally suffers from low ratings…so maybe that’s not working out for them. Frankly, the reason I DVR all my CW shows is because they are scattered throughout the week without any rhyme or reason.

19. BKD says:

Tomorrow People was one of our favorites. Better that and one Vampire show than 2 vampire shows. Would really like it if it were coming back.

20. Heather says:

Take off the 100 and reign put back on the tomorrow people and star crossed you can give them another season instead of putting these new shows on that look boring and most likely just going to be canceled after the first season

21. It would really be nice if they would bring back, the TV Shows The Tomorrow People and Star Crossed, those were awesome shows to watch!

22. Bama says:

I can’t understand why n
    You would take off star cross and tomorrow people and leave stupid showd like models and other dumb stuff

23. Tom Mackey says:

Y is the tomorrow people not comin back

24. Schevon Scott says:

Why why why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I’ve been waiting to see what happens next on The Carrie Diaries,The Tomorrow People and especially Star Crossed.

25. Christina says:

I cannot believe they cancelled Star-Crossed and The Tomorrow People!! Ticks me off that both were left as cliff hangers. I loved these shows!