Pretty Little Liars Recap: Who Do You Think You Are?

Pretty Little Liars Recap

Ready for the most awkward “Who Wore It Better” ever? On Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars, Alison sported the same dress to her mother’s funeral that her mother wore to Ali’s funeral back when everyone thought she was dead. Yikes.

RELATED Pretty Little Liars: Caleb’s Return, Plus 30 More Pics From the 100th Episode

But that was merely the first double-take of the evening, as Hanna was later mistaken for Ali at the funeral home, prompting her to reflect on how much she changed since Ali first went missing. “I never knew who the hell I was,” Hanna told Emily, following a vaguely homoerotic flashback of Hanna holding hands with Mona at school. (Are we going to talk about that, or…?)

And another thing: Who was Mona talking to at the hair salon while Hanna was getting a makeover? That couldn’t have been Alison, right?

Thank God Caleb is coming back in a few weeks, because he’s about the only thing that makes sense in Hanna’s life right now — assuming he doesn’t try to tell her what happened in Ravenswood, of course. (Actual ghosts!)

pll-new-girlEMILY’S NEW STALKER FRIEND | Speaking of identity issues, can we talk about the new girl on the Rosewood High swim team? She either wants Emily, or wants to be Emily, but I don’t trust her either way. If someone wouldn’t shut up about how not tall I was, I’d probably invite them into the pool for a Paige Special. (That’s a full-blown drowning for those of you not familiar with the rules of high school swimming.) That said, the following scene between Paige and Emily was absolutely heartbreaking. “You deserve the best of everything,” Emily told her teary-eyed ex, to which she replied, “That’s what I had.” Confession: I was once strongly against a Paily reunion, but I’m starting to think there might be hope for those two yet.

MY FATHER, THE KILLER | After a little detective work, Hanna and Emily figured out that Jason was nowhere near his house when Mrs. DiLaurentis was murdered. So who did kill her? If you ask Jason, which Spencer did this week, all fingers now point to — wait for it — Mr. Hastings! “Get out while you still can,” Jason warned her. “And remember, he can’t be trusted.” Papa Hastings certainly didn’t help his case by creepily picking up Alison in the middle of the night, nor did he seem very convincing when Spencer confronted him about Mrs. D’s unsent e-mail. Good thing he had Melissa there to stop Spencer from asking any more questions. (Seriously, can Melissa just go away or get a job? She needs something to do with all that free time.)

pll-aria-ezraPARTNERS IN CRIME | Now, for the (mostly) good news: Ezra finally returned to Rosewood this week, complete with a scruffy new look. Both Ali and Aria paid him a visit at his apartment, but only one of them came to deliver a confession. Still, what did Ezra mean when he said he’d “help” Aria? Is he going to make sure no one finds out she’s the one who killed Shana? And could becoming her partner in crime lead to a full-blown rekindling of their once-epic romance?

PLL fans, do you think Spencer’s dad killed Alison’s mom? Are you hoping for a Paige-Emily reunion? And are you worried that “changing” might not be the best idea for Hanna right now? Drop a comment with your thoughts and theories below.

1. sara says:

The problem with Paily is the fact Paige was always more into Emily than Emily was into Paige. Emily has never looked at or loved her the way she loved Maya or Alison.

Now bye bye Paige. Its time for Emison.

• Andy Swift says:

I agree about Paige being more into Emily, but I don’t know if I’d suggest ANYONE be with Alison right now. She’s got some stuff to work through first.

• Hailee says:

I’m strongly against Emison. Or Alison with anyone for that matter. If Emison happened it would be like Paily in reverse because Alison has never loved or looked at Emily the same way Emily has loved her. Alison doesn’t know what she wants and she has never been open and honest with her friends, who for some reason adore her even though she doesn’t remotely deserve it. She would eventually get tired of Emily and toss her aside like she does every other person she’s dated.

2. Lexie says:

If this is another “season on answers” as the producers love to say we haven’t learned anything in these first 3 episodes. It gets really frustrating when they build everything up only to maybe answer one or two questions in the mid and season finales.
    Also, when are we going to realize that regardless of Ezra lying about the book and knowing about Ali and everyone before becoming a teacher that he is just creepy for being with aria. I just cannot “ship” a relationship that is in all senses illegal. I do not like that redemption of Ezra at all.
    This season so far is a pretty big let down in my eyes and I hope it starts getting better soon.

• Carissa says:

I disagree. I think we’ve gotten some answers, if they didn’t leave some thjngs for mystery it wouldn’t keep you coming back. I thjnk the first episode was a lot. And I think we got some half answers tonight and I loved the flashbacks, they always fill in holes. I personally feel like the further we get into pll the better it gets. I’m excited for more and can’t wait for next weeks episode. In dying to know what Melissa’s big secret is and if mr Hastings did kill Jessica. I think he may have and I hope Jason stays. I also love how things ended with Aria and Ezra. Hopefully they will team up. And let’s get real, A gone? I’m just waiting for the next text, “I’m back bitches” maybe? Lol.

• abz says:

I know what you mean. I particularly get annoyed when they sometimes hold off on answering some questions, but still constantly allude to it each episode or are on the verge of revealing it and then at the last second they find a way to drag it out more, A perfect example is this secret Melissa and her father are holding on to. All three episodes so far, it has been brought up and/or alluded to and its already reached the point where you know what I don’t really care about this secret anymore because you made me suffer through endless conversations about it where absolutely nothing of value was said to push the plot forward and thus making the shocking reveal that they probably were going for, not really that shocking.

• DL says:

I felt like it’s been kinda hinted that Melissa killed the girl they thought was Alison, but hey, this is PLL, so you never really know.

3. webly3 says:

My theory is that Peter is going to be framed. But, the real killer has something to do with Mrs. DiLaurentis’s Radley Sanitarium connection. People forget that Jessica was practically running Radley.

4. Trystan says:

It looks like Ali is bk to her old ways…Hope Hanna dont let Ali get to her…I wonder who was with Mona at the end i thought it was Ali but just rewatch the show and just seen the promo pics for episode 5 and its not ali if u watch the promo pics for season 5 ali is way taller than mona so that wasnt ali with mona

• abz says:

Seriously! After everything that’s happened to her and her friends over the past few year. the bitchiness still comes out of her so easily. I hope Hannah doesn’t let it get to her.

• 8daysmeg says:

I was so annoyed at how bitchy Ali was last night to Hanna. I texted a friend during the show “I hope someone murders her again soon.”
      Ali is a terrible person and a terrible friend and I have zero interest in watching any kind of redemption story for her. If she’s going to serve a point to the story, I hope they get that point made soon and get her out of the story again.

5. Kai says:

Sigh.. I could have sworn that this is the third or fourth time seeing this editor having a go at Paige’s season 1 drowning incident in his recaps/comments whenever she’s mentioned; an isolated incident she actually apologized for in S1 (but I guess it’s still unforgivable, right?). Whereas other more popular characters don’t seem to be subjected to the same treatment in the recaps for the bad deeds that they have done (e.g. Alison blinding Jenna pre-season 1, Ezra stalking four teenage girls for 4 seasons). I know this comment could likely draw some hate, but I would really appreciate it if this could stop moving forward. Aside from that, I did enjoy the recap. Have a good day!

• Leo says:

This is the internet. #neverforget
      I personally love Paily but I gotta admit it’s hilarious to think of that “love dunk”.

6. Trystan says:

love the show and this season is epic have me waiting every week for the next episode!!!

7. canadian17 says:

Two girls holding each others’ hands for support is not in any way homo erotic. I think someone is reading into it a touch too much.

• There have been tons of instances where the relationship between Hanna and Mona is vaguely homoerotic. Personally, I’ve always thought that Mona was somewhat in love with Hanna.

8. lauri5567 says:

Maybe the new girl will let Paige control her life, then she could have Emily’s girlfriend as well. Didn’t notice anything odd about Hanna and Mona holding hands, but it did look like Alison talking to Mona at the end.
    I feel bad for Jason – Spencer is the only person willing to admit he’s family right now.

9. Jaye says:

I believe that they new little swimmer girl was with Mona at the end. Remember Mona likes to take vulnerable people under her wing. Ex:Hannah & Mona’s little army. Yeah at first I thought Mr. Hastings has something to do with it but, its just to obvious so no. It could be cece that killed Jessica though. I mean she jetted out of Rosewood so quick after her little plea deal

10. jazz says:

I don’t like Emison at all.. I love to see Paige and Emily together..

11. I know is a Paige all along the mastermind behind the attack nearly killed Ali i,’m so happy that Alison is avlive because she’s my favourite actress in pretty little liars always have

12. Jake says:

Why do the young actresses of this show always look like deer in the headlights? Is it just me?

13. Katie says:

I thought last night was AWESOME. It totally reaffirmed my suspicion that the show is going the way of the books, in the overall arc. (I won’t be specific for those that haven’t read the series.) I was completely underwhelmed by the premier, but these last two episodes were really good, I thought.

14. Radha says:

Am I the only one who wishes Alison had stayed dead? There was nothing good about her character and all the flashbacks just proved that. And yet, I’m supposed to care about this girl now that she’s back on the show? And I find that I am starting to dislike Emily because it’s ALL about Alison for her–even though Alison was the one who got all the girls thrown into this mess in the first place. I just wish Emily would go back to the Emily that I love and stop with this “I’ll defend Alison til I die’ nonsense.

So yeah, no, I’m not here for Emison. I’d rather Emily be alone or back with Paige–who can be creepy at times–before I’d want her with that sociopath.

Someone below is also mentioning the whole Ezria debacle. I agree. I can’t understand why it’s just okay for all these grown men to be hooking up with these teenage girls–no matter how precocious they are. Just because the girls flirt with you doesn’t mean you need to reciprocate. And then they love to write Ezria as if Aria is in “charge” of that relationship so as for it not to seem that creepy. But it is. Creepy I mean. I don’t care if the “Age of Consent” is 16 in Philly. That doesn’t make it acceptable for Garrett to be with Jenna, Alison to be with practically every man on the show, Wren to be constantly sniffing around Spencer and Hanna. Need I go on? My BFF always says that Rosewood is Pedophile Central and she’s right. Like seriously…Wren is a doctor and can’t find anything to talk about with a woman his own age? Same goes for the rest of them.

I know it’s television, but people then wonder why all these young boys and girls are hooking up with their teachers in real life.

15. Kayla says:

The theory I think is possible is that Mrs.D had a twin sister in Radley who tried to kill Alison, and that’s why she covered it up, to protect her mentally ill sister.