Exclusive

Community Resurrection Hopes Dim as Hulu Talks Collapse

community-DW

It’s looking less likely that Community’s six-seasons-and-a-movie destiny will be fulfilled.

TVLine has learned that Hulu has abandoned talks to acquire the cult comedy, which was cancelled by NBC last month after five death-defying seasons.

RELATED TVLine’s 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Renewed? What’s Still on the Bubble?

The streaming video service was reportedly the only viable suitor courting the Greendale Gang, but  Sony Pictures Television — the studio behind Community — nonetheless remains determined to find a new home for the show before the June 30 deadline (which is when the actors’ deals expire).

“Sony does not give up easily,” maintains a source close to the show, who hints that another player is still in the mix. “A lot can happen in one week.”

1. Paulina says:

P.S. The main cast of MTV’s Scream already been cast: Amy Forsyth (Reign), Willa Fitzgerald and Dillon Lane will be three of the six main characters.

2. Come on, Netflix. I don’t use you, but I might. (total lie)

3. A-Mi says:

Netflix, get on this! Hurry!

4. Drepers says:

After how devastated I was when Happy Endings was cancelled last year only for it to be rumored to almost be saved by a bunch of different places, all of which never came to fruition making it all the more heartbreaking… I knew not to get my hopes to high again for Community getting saved because I knew I’d be preparing myself being crushed and disappointed all over again.

• Jesse says:

Yea Sony lies. They didn’t even really fight for Happy Endings. Heck they didn’t even give it a proper Season 3 DVD. It’s just some burnt to disc copy that u can only get at Amazon. Now that’s a show that needs to be on again.

5. GuessWhat says:

good news. let it die in peace.

6. Nick says:

Just let it die in peace. Season 5 was mediocre at best, started off decently and then went into complete crap by the end. Let the actors do something better with their time.

7. Joey Padron says:

Really hope show finds a new home soon.

8. Yoki says:

What amazon or netflix?

9. alistaircrane says:

The show must go on! Come on, mysterious dark horse contender! Save Community!

10. David4 says:

Let it die. I love the show but what would a sixth season do? The show ended on a rather ridiculous but fun note. It’s time to move on.

11. David says:

Maybe Sony will use their Crackle service?

12. Ron says:

I didn’t really expect this to happen. The whole kerfuffle with Happy Endings had my hopes really low for this. I would love a sixth season mainly because it would push the show over the 100 episode mark, which is a big deal in the TV world. That would really open up its syndication options. But, if a sixth season doesn’t happen–and let’s be honest, it’s not even looking kinda good–then I’m somehow fine with that…maybe not thrilled, but I guess you could say I’ve just acquiesced to the whole situation.

• soakedpancakes says:

Except getting picked up on a streaming service annexes any chance of the new episodes being syndicated at all. You don’t see Netflix’s episodes of Arrested Development getting reruns on FXX. Hitting the 100 episode milestone is a moot point, should it occur on Hulu, Amazon, Netflix or Crackle. The reruns that Community already has on MyNetworkTV and Comedy Central are all that we’re ever going to get.

13. Jesse says:

That’s weird cause Sony gave up easy when it came to Happy Endings. Liars!!!! Them corporate TV people are so full of it. One person says Hulu is only viable suitor & then another says there is more people in the mix? Makes no sense. But never the less I’m still pulling for it. Hell if Veronica Mars can get a movie. I think we can at least Kickstart towards the budget for the Six Season. #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

14. webly3 says:

We’ve been sitting here for five years hoping for renewal that the #sixseasonsandamovie thing seemed like it was going to work. Hulu just blew their chances of getting more popular. Who even watches Hulu? Even Hulu Plus users have to sit through commercials these days…

15. Quinn Mallory says:

NOOOOOO! This might be the darkest timeline yet.

16. Ray says:

So much for six seasons and a movie

17. Tom Charles says:

I do not understand why Comedy Central isn’t all over this

18. MB says:

Any chance it will be Sony’s Crackle?

19. John Berggren says:

Guess I won’t be subscribing to Hulu after all.

20. Barbara Rix says:

In a nod to Basic Sandwich: :(

21. akeeling2014 says:

Is a Kickstarter campaign completely off the table? Because I know for a fact that tons of fans across the world (I, myself, am in Australia) would contribute big time

22. analog says:

Great news!!!

23. I’ve gone through the 5 stages of grief twice (with a little shuffling in the middle), but I’ve now come to a definite acceptance that the show is well and truly done. All I really need is a Community movie in 2-5 years’ time. ;)