Kitchen Nightmares Ending: 'It's Time to Call It a Day,' Says Gordon Ramsay

Kitchen Nightmares Cancelled

Ladies and gentlemen, Gordon Ramsay has left the kitchen.

RELATED Exclusive Kitchen Nightmares Season Finale Video: When ‘100% Fresh’ = ‘90% Frozen’

The TV host on Monday announced that he’s decided to stop making new episodes of his reality series Kitchen Nightmares, which has become an international hit since debuting in the UK in 2004.

After airing for five seasons in the UK, an American version of Nightmares was brought to Fox in 2007.

“I’m currently filming 4 new episodes, Costa Del Nightmares, for [the UK’s] Channel 4, which will be my last,” reads a letter posted to Ramsay’s official website. “I’ve had a phenomenal 10 years making 123 episodes, 12 seasons, shot across 2 continents, watched by tens of millions of people and sold to over 150 countries. It’s been a blast but it’s time to call it a day.”

Adds Ramsay, “During this time, I’ve visited over 100 restaurants, meeting and trying to help or in some cases failing to help, some of the most weird and wonderful people. Of course Amy’s Baking Company is a standout along with Bonaparte’s but there were good times too; the lovely sisters at La Galleria and Momma Cherri’s to name but two.”

Ramsay concludes his letter by assuring fans that his other two series — Hell’s Kitchen and Master Chef — aren’t going anywhere.

“It’s been memorable!” he writes. “Thank you for watching.”

TVLine has reached out to Fox for comment.

Are you bummed about the sudden death of Kitchen Nightmares? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Joe says:

And Hotel Hell, Gordon, jeeeeez.

2. David says:

This does make me sad but I get it. There are many imitations that aren’t bad but this will always be the original and best. He does have other shows so it’s not like he’s leaving the airwaves.

3. Name That Tune says:

I enjoyed KN, but it’s run its course.

Still enjoy HK. Not a fan of MasterChef.

• really? Not a fan of MasterChef? What don’t you like about it, out of curiosity. Hell’s Kitchen is the one that, to me has gotten a little too set it its ways, you always know what to expect, but this season of MasterChef they are still pulling out the surprises. Anyway, to each his or her own opinion, I love MasterChef, and MC Junior as well.

4. jess k says:

Can’t say I’m too surprised after the way this season just ended after only a few episodes.

5. Linda says:

Too bad it wasn’t Hell’s Kitchen. I much prefer Kitchen Nightmares over Hell’s Kitchen any day.

6. tabularasalocke says:

As long as MasterChef isn’t going anywhere, I’m cool. I used to like Hell’s Kitchen, but it kind of got boring and the same after awhile. Never been a fan of Hell’s Kitchen. But love me some MasterChef.

7. webly3 says:

Well, he already had like 4 other shows going on (I’m not exaggerating here: Masterchef, Masterchef Junior, Hell’s Kitchen, Hotel Hell).

8. AT says:

I liked Kitchen Nightmares, but I like the UK version better. In that one, the restaurants weren’t so shockingly ridiculously bad. Chef Ramsey could actually provide them with real help. The restaurants he goes to in the American version are usually so disgusting, they should be closed down. Even with his help those people shouldn’t be allowed to feed people.

9. Erica Bearden says:

I love Gordon! He’s honest and true, he’s done a lot to help our try to help a lot of people! You rock! Wish i could meet you!!!

10. Betty says:

Hate to see it end. This is my favorite. Thanks Chef Ramsay.

11. Ran says:

It jumped the shark after season 2

12. rockgolf says:

A completely rational decision for Gordon. Each ep of Nightmares took a full week of his life. In the same time he film 3 or more eps each of Master Chef and Hell’s Kitchen.

13. Steve says:

I’m sad to hear Kitchen Nightmares is cancelled. Out of all of Gordon Ramsay’s shows, it was my favorite. I kind of knew it would be canceled soon based on the fact this past season was only six episodes.

14. I can’t believe he kept all those shows going for THIS long, and I’m sure Kitchen Nightmares is the one that that takes the longest to film the entire season. Maybe he wanted to spend a night home with the family every once in a while. I’ll miss the show but still love the others. And who knows, maybe he has something new up his sleeve to surprise us in the future. One can always hope!

15. Evan says:

Amy’s Baking Company is not supposed to win and stay in business while you end this show! That lady is meowing in happiness right now!

16. Dee says:

Hotel Hell will be next…only took 2 years in between Season 1 and the upcoming Season 2.

17. Mary e says:

I love Gordon. I watch master chef and Hell’s Kitchen faithfully. Never liked kitchen nightmares. Please don’t cancel my favorites. He is so honestly nasty. The meaner he gets the more I love him.

18. JB Smooove says:

wow, this is a bit of a bummer. i really liked kitchen nightmares, but it did become pretty formulaic…just like hells kitchen. i will say, loved the british version of KN but my most favorite GR show was F-Word. I found it quite by accident on BBCA and became hooked right away.

19. Maryann says:

One down and two to go. i change the channel when even previews of his shows come on.

20. Matty says:

I am very sad about this one. I’ve watched it since the start.

21. Amanda Bolton says:

I’m shocked!! There’s so MANY restaurants out there that desperately NEED/WANT to change for the better!! I LOVE Chef Gordon Ramsey. He is so intelligent & knowledgeable in every aspect of cooking no matter what it is. You name and he’s got an answer for you whether you want to hear it or not. He may be a hard ass chef but that’s the part that makes him unique. That’s because he has the passion the heart and he CARES. He WANTS EVERYONE to continue to grow and improve in their lives. PLEASE DO ONE MORE SEASON!!!! JUST ONE MORE PLEASE GORDON CHEF RAMSEY!!! TOO MANY FANS OUT THERE WATCHING ALL YOUR SHOWS!!

• Larry LaBarbera says:

I gotta agree with you…one more…..please.Your shows are about the best thing on television.

22. John Loughry says:

Probably got tired of dealing with those that blamed him for their restaurant not working out after he tried to help. After while that stuff gets old.

23. Derek Kearns says:

I’m the biggest fan of kitchen nightmares I’ve seen all the episodes and its a sad day for me. But I still have Hells kitchen and master chef and utub movies. Gordon Ramsay good luck Chef.

24. Jinko says:

Over kill. Just too, too much of Gordon, and too much of anything is not a good thing. One really excellent show would be sufficient, but then it would probably mean less money in his very deep pockets. Aren’t we all weary of the screaming and yelling tantrums? I totally agree with the preceding comments. Is it true there are “plants” on Master Chef (Courtney)? Hope not.

25. Larry LaBarbera says:

that is really bad news as there are so few good shows on television. Kitchen Nightmares has been consistently good throughout its run. I hope he changes his mind.

26. REGINA HATCHER says:

I AM DEVASTATED TO HEAR THE ENDING OF GORDON RAMSAY’S “KITCHEN NIGHTMARES”, THIS HAS BEEN ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. GORDON RAMSAY HIMSELF IS UNIQUE, HE IS OUTSPOKEN, FIERCE AND COMICAL BUT ALWAYS USING HIS EXPERTISE TO HELP SOME OF THE NASTY IDIOT RESTAURANT OWNERS, THANK GOD THERE IS A SHOW LIKE HIS THAT SHOWS US THE CONSUMER WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES . GORDON YOU WILL BE TRULY MISSED. ENJOY YOUR LIFE. SINCERELY REGINA (GINA) HATCHER

27. Jasmine says:

I’m not that surprised kitchen nightmares was his best show but Gordon Ramsay seems like someone’s who’s high energy and gets bored easily. Think about it what he does best is cooking by far but he still does more tv it seems. He just needs a change which is why hotel hell was invented. Kitchen nightmares the UK and US version were both way better but Gordon is most likely bored with it and wants something new.

28. bonnieboreanaz says:

sad to see this show go. you have helped or tried to help many owners of restaurants which were failing. some went on to be success full others failed. I will miss this show. you even went to my home town Arvada Colorado. great episode. this program will be missed

29. Dave Ambrose says:

Started watching about a month ago by accident, I was waiting to go to the gym and ther it was…..Watched La Galleria episodes 1&2 and then one more. After that I was and am hooked.. Wish I had started watching back when it started but I am enjoying the re runs and Gordon’s new AT&T commercial. Hope to catch up with Hotel Hell next…best of luck Gordon and stay in front of the camera anyway you can….You my friend are a natural..

30. Rosa Jimenez says:

Thank goodness we still have Hell’s Kitchen and Hotel Hell. I love Emperor Chef Ramsay and will follow him anywhere he has a show. I’m sure he would make it a hit! Thanks my Emperor Ramsay.

31. Gordon Ramsay is exhausted who are unable to criticize more restaurants. Gordon Ramsay wants it right that there should be so many bad restaurants.

Who sets up? We establish bunch of bad restaurants in the area where Gordon Ramsay lives. So we’ll see if Gordon Ramsay regret that he ended up with Kitchen Nightmares

So, will he ask to have continue with the TV show

32. Sandy says:

It’s sad to see KN go, but I stopped watching long ago. I just couldn’t take some of the attitudes of some of these failing restaurnats when Gordon would attempt to help them. Then Hells Kitchen is getting a bit stagnant too. The constestants claim to be professional chefs, but if they truly were, they would be able to cook scallops, fish or meat and not serve one side burned and the other side raw. That’s starting to really get tiresome. My favorite is MasterChef, because I enjoy watching everyday ordinary people create these amazing dishes. I often wonder if the show gives them crash courses on how to do some of that stuff, because there is no way that these people come in and know exactly how much to use to make a cake or create a souffle. I also miss the F Word. Reminds me of my friend who has since passed away. He got me watching the show.

33. Lisa says:

I loved Chef Ramsey in Kitchen Nightmares he is a wonderful chef watching him in this series helping people to improve their resturants and even improve themselves was great. My husband and I hate that he had decided to stop the series. God Bless you Chef Ramsey and your family!

34. Denise Snow says:

I love hotel hell and kitchen nightmares please keep making those series for all your fans

35. Fanny says:

I really loved the show!!! I enjoy to see people that combine the talent of knowing and have real passion on creating food with a strong sense of business, can’t be successful without one both of them! I love to cook as well! :)))