Fall TV Poll: Monday — Big Bang Theory Vs. Gotham and Other DVR Dilemmas

Fall TV Schedule 2014

The Fall TV season will be here before you know it, and with it comes tough, new viewing choices. And the time to get thinking about them is now.

RELATED Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

All this week, TVLine is presenting you with the grids for each night’s fall line-up, including Big 5 fare and the likely cable competition. You then vote for what you plan to watch ”live” during each time slot.

(If you are irrevocably hung up on my use of the word “live,” I invite you to instead vote for your “Top Priority” in each time slot. Semantics problem solved!)

RELATED Fall TV Poll: Sunday — Once Vs. Brooklyn and Other DVR Dilemmas
Fall TV Schedule 2014NOTES ABOUT THE MONDAY GRID: This represents face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season, based on premiere plans announced to date. Details on new shows (indicated in RED) can be found at these links: Gotham, Jane the Virgin, Scorpion

RELATED Complete Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What’s on When, Versus What

Want scoop on fall shows? Email insideline@tvline.com!

1. Tracytv says:

Watch Monday night football and dvr the rest.

2. daviduter says:

Don’t watch anything live aside from sports. Who doesn’t have a 6 tuner DVR now? No need to choose.

• Kate says:

Me, I just have the DVR comcast ‘loans’ me.

• wrstlgirl says:

Me, I just have the basic DVR from my provider.

• TvPeong says:

Me. I watch most of my shows live. Or I watch them online through the station’s website.

• Britt says:

I don’t have cable at all. But Mondays are going to be very busy for me!

• LL624 says:

I don’t. Dish told us the hopper wouldn’t work in our house for some stupid reason.

• David says:

Verizon just rolled out their new dvr with six tuners so I’ll probably take advantage of that this fall.

• Ally Oop says:

6 tuner DVR?! I wish. I have satellite tv in Canada and there are no 6 tuner DVRs. Each single-tuner DVR costs $198 to buy or $20 per month to rent. There are dual-tuners available but they cost $498 and you can’t rent those. I bought a single-tuner DVR outright bran-new. Unfortunately you can’t get used DVRs because the satellite company has a trade-in program whereby you can trade in your DVR for a new one every 2 years and it’s not often you can come across old ones. Where I live, the cable company hasn’t even gone digital yet so if you want to DVR, satellite tv is your only option.

3. Scooter Smith (@scoboot) says:

I don’t know if I’ll watch anything “Live”-live. But I usually start an 8 o clock show after my wife goes to work and can skip commercials enough to start a 9 o clock show in time to do the same thing. By 10 I am all caught up, and watching “Live”-live, but I usually fall asleep in the chair (unless its particularly fast paced and exciting like Blacklist or Scandal). Nobody watches tv “Live”-live anymore that I know, unless its a show that requires you to vote while it is on (like Rising Star).

4. Gwen says:

We like all three shows on the “majors” at 10. Guess we’ll have to get a new DVR which can record more than two shows at once…

5. Nicki Dreyer says:

For at least a couple weeks I’ll be trying out Gotham to see if I like it and then replaying BBT afterwards – bonus is no commercials during BBT :)

6. Kate says:

I totally reserve my right to change from week to week on this Mondays at 8 thing. I plan to watch TBBT and Mom, but CBS on demand is not annoying at all. I have to always stick to my guns about only watching DWTS in the spring (there is seriously nothing competing with it then for rme). Which means I am between the Originals and Gotham for live. My real conflict is that Fox is annoying and lets its shows run into each other and nothing will stop me from watching Sleepy Hollow live. So that might mean Gotham ends up winning.

• Ally Oop says:

The Monday 9pm slot is the busiest slot on TV for me with Sleepy Hollow and 3 new shows–Strange Empire, Jane the Virgin and Scorpion all set to air there. I only have a single-tuner DVR but I have time shift so I will still have to drop 2 of the new shows. I’m not sure which one I’ll drop though as all 3 look stellar. Strange Empire is a female-starring Western and the description looks great (its a Canadian drama but no trailer available yet), Jane the Virgin is a romantic comedy and looks right up my alley, and Scorpion’s trailer really surprised me with how good it was. Hopefully at least a couple of those shows will have episodes available free online to watch but as I live in Canada, it all depends on whether the Canadian network websites will post them–sometimes they don’t show episodes of their U.S. series online.

7. Tran says:

My Monday night picks: The Big Bang Theory, Scorpion and The Blacklist. Can’t wait for the new season of 2 Broke Girls (always dreamed of Kat and Beth) on October 27th once TBBT heads back to Thursdays on October 30th and I should tune in for State of Affairs debuting on November 17th ’cause people are getting mixed reactions either the show and/or Katherine Heigl.

8. Samantha says:

Live: NCIS: Los Angels
    DVR: Castle [show lost my live viewership w. that finale]
    Don’t watch: The Blacklist.

• S. says:

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Some of us don’t get bent out of shape when we don’t get Castle: Uneventful Wedding Hour Edition or the weekly kiss/cuddle scene. I guess you did and the finale was the last straw. Castle’s not gonna die, they’re gonna get married. They’re setting up a new mythology, but you’re gonna be behind everyone else in finding out what it is. No need to get dramatic about it. Have a little patience and stop with the ‘take your ball and go home’ attitude. Real fans wouldn’t do that.

9. Brandy says:

I’m my time zone,BBT is on at 7,TO at 8 so I don’t have to choose,though It will get more complicated once abcfamily programming is on during the regular season.

10. Aimee says:

Scorpion looks interesting but it’s up against Sleepy Hollow. Guess I’ll be recording Scorpion for later.

11. April says:

Wow. Mondays are really crowded for me. Big Bang Theory and Sleepy Hollow I watch live; Gotham, Scorpion, and The Black List get recorded. Lord help me when The Fosters returns in the winter. Time to get a better DVR I guess.

12. dee says:

My only can’t-miss, watch-live show of the entire week is on Mondays: Sleepy Hollow.

13. Mary says:

Networks really need to work on their programming. Big Bang Theory is the only show I’ll be watching live on Monday nights. The rest of the time, nothing.

14. Diz says:

WWE RAW 7-10ct here.

15. webly3 says:

I’ll watch Gotham/Sleepy Hollow. I might watch DWTS – it just depends on the cast. And, I’ll watch The Big Bang Theory but I’ll probably have to DVR it and watch it at 10.

16. Doug says:

DVR everything except live sports and start late enough to skip through the commercials

17. JC1 says:

Scorpion at 9pm.
    Mondays at 10pm are the hardest choice of the week, because all three of those shows are favorites. I guess…1) Blacklist, 2) NCIS LA, and 3) Castle, though Castle might be first for the first week.
    By the way, it’s still difficult to post comments on an iPhone because of not being able to resize the screen or move it horizontally back and forth.

• Ally Oop says:

I know. I think all the problems are from people with iPhone 4s, including me. I don’t even bother going to TVLine on my phone half the time because I can’t post comments properly. If I post a comment from my phone I have to write blind (not seeing what I’m writing because the screen won’t move sideways and often my comments have mistakes in them). I really miss the old site. I know the TVLine staff must be tired of hearing all the complaints by now but unfortunately there’s still a ton of people with iPhone 4s who are having problems. Also, the galleries are very annoying too because if you click to far (which is most of the time) you have to press the back button 20 times to get back to the original page.

• JC1 says:

That must be it, because I am using a 4. :( And yes, the galleries are annoying. I don’t even bother most of the time anymore. :(

18. Rain388 says:

Why did they move The Originals to Monday at 8 against Gotham & BBT?? Thankfully I have multiple DVRs in my house!

• Ally Oop says:

I guess they thought The Originals would have a better shot than any other show to do well but I still think Supernatural should have gone there. Supernatural is a show fans will follow anywhere it goes on the schedule. I’m not sure the same can be said of The Originals.I really wish it had stayed on Tuesdays. I have almost nothing to watch on Tuesdays now, just Selfie, new British drama Honourable Woman (which is airing in Canada on CBC) and The Goldbergs (which though airing in the U.S. on Wednesdays, will be staying on Tuesdays in Canada).

19. LL624 says:

The only show I’m definitely watching live on the majors on Monday nights is Castle. I’ll try to stick with Sleepy Hollow, but last season kinda bored me. And I might check out Gotham, but I’m not convinced I’ll like it. I’ll probably watch the Blacklist live after it moves.

20. Pat says:

Big Bang Theory for sure at 8PM and Mom at 8:30. Sleepy Hollow at 9PM and then I will have to DVR Castle and NCIS, LA. What in the world is CBS doing moving NCIS LA to Monday night????? First they are moving CSI to Sunday night and now this Monday night fiasco with NCIS LA. Will someone please knock some sense into whoever is doing this over at CBS.

21. mike says:

I don’t watch anything live anymore except for the morning news for 10 minutes or so. If anything I start about 20 minutes in so I can skip the commercials. the conflict comes with castle/blacklist/ncis in that order. Although, they’d best wrap up that ludicrous castle finale PDQ or I’m done with it

Anything that doesn’t DVR because of conflicts I watch on the Project site.

• John NYC says:

I watch weather live. :)

• S. says:

I’m sure they’ll take whatever they were doing with Castle and make sure they get it right in light of your “threat” there, Mike. *eyeroll* I trust the storytelling.

• q says:

hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion…you really don’t have to give your “one cent” defending castle…it’s quite ok for people not to like it….

22. TinLV says:

DVR the Voice.. Live watch Gotham and Sleepy Hollow. At 10 I just watch Castle, no interest in the others.

23. Jose says:

Wwe Raw which runs for. 3 hours and dvr the rest

24. Marian jones says:

Where is Bones?

25. Rich says:

At 8:10, I’ll start Big Bang Theory, then at 8:30 Gotham. When Gotham finishes (about 9:15), I’ll start Mom. When that finishes at 9:40, it’s Sleepy Hollow then Castle. The Originals, Jane the Virgin and Scorpion will be watched the following day between when I get home from work and when the next prime time starts (while I cook, eat, clean, etc…)

26. herman1959 says:

Gotham, Sleepy Hollow, and The Blacklist, although I’ll probably only watch Sleepy Hollow live. Hulu has become like a best buddy – 3 hours of live TV a night is too much for me! I have to say though, Monday’s choices were so much easier than Sunday’s.

27. Teri says:

Castle Live! Would never miss it for the world. Also, DVR it to rewatch.

28. Katy says:

Castle vs NCIS:LA is the only really hard decision for me, but NCIS gets my vote x

29. Tran says:

BTW, don’t know why they left off 2 Broke Girls & State of Affairs from the voting poll.

30. Sheldon W. says:

8-9 – Gotham
    9-10 – Sleepy Hollow (record Scorpion, the pilot is pretty decent)
    10-11 – The Blacklist (record NCIS:LA, try to timeshift Castle)

31. Mara says:

After that horrible finale on Castle maybe it will make my DVR list but I doubt it.

32. Lupe says:

The only show I care on Mondays is CASTLE!!!

33. John says:

Gotham
    Sleepy Hollow
    The Blacklist

34. Jimmy says:

Why are 15% more people going to turn in to the second half of Gotham? I will just DVR and watch the full hour later. Plus I think that a better way of polling in this day and age is to add a DVR part. So you have live and DVR to see what isn’t going to be watched.
    Just sayin

• A-C says:

Because they have less percentage in the first half because of TBBT, but it’s probably the same amount of people that said they would watch at 8, it just seems more because it’s %.

35. GhostWolf says:

Not Nielsen so won’t be counted anyway. Will be DVRing the shows (no comedies up front)

8 – Gotham / The Originals
    9 – Sleepy Hollow / maybe Scorpion
    10 – all three

36. Angela says:

I’ll watch the first hour of “Dancing”, but then DVR the rest of it as I flip over to “Sleepy Hollow”. That series is definitely going to be on my “watch live” list.

37. A-C says:

Mondays won’t be a problem for me, like other nights, I only have Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist and since I’m abandoning The Originals, I can easily give Gotham a chance

38. kalinis says:

what you watch live still matters to weather a show stays on air or gets cancelled. cw allows dvr 7 to decide but alot of the other networks ratings live matter still. So thats why they do the polls. Until they find a way to sell comercials for dvr, on demand at rates they do live, live will still go a long ways in determining a shows future.

39. TV Gord says:

Good news for Canadians! The Big Bang Theory will air on Mondays at 7:30 for those weeks that it’s on Mondays! Also, when BBT returns to Thursdays, Grey’s Anatomy will move to Wednesdays at 10pm. (In Canada, BBT and Grey’s air on the same network.) Actually, there are quite a few shows that will air in time slots before they air in the U.S.)

40. Ally Oop says:

Mondays, just like last year, are so jam-packed this year. I only can dvr one show at a time but thankfully, I have the benefit of timeshifting. Another advantage I have is that certain shows are on at different times in Canada. However, I may still not be able to record all the shows I want. Here is my Monday DVR schedule for the fall (note, I’m on Central time so the times are an hour earlier):
    6pm Big Bang Theory*
    7pm The Originals
    8pm Sleepy Hollow
    9pm State of Affairs (when it premieres Nov.21)
    10pm Gotham
    11pm Strange Empire (new Canadian drama)
    ? Jane the Virgin**
    ? Scorpion**

*CTV is airing Big Bang Theory an hour earlier during its Monday run so it can act as a leadin for Gotham
    ** Both Jane the Virgin and Scorpion, which I really liked the trailers for, conflict with Sleepy Hollow and Strange Empire, so I may have to forgo seeing them

41. Rick Katze says:

Thank God I updated the recording capacity on my DVR to 6 shows. Monday at 10 has 3 must-sees and a 4rth during football season.

42. Marc says:

Do people still watch television live? Other than sports. I’ve reached the point that I record two shows on my lame two-tuner TWC DVR and watch something that I recorded earlier. I even DVR most auto races because they are 40% commercials these days. And, when I am watching baseball, it is mute on the PC or, if I watch on TV, I switch to something recorded on the DVR during commercials. I guess I playing my part in undermining the business model of commercial-supported television.

• S. says:

What else are you doing at 10pm on a Monday? I have no idea why you wouldn’t watch something you enjoyed live. What’s the point of waiting unless you gotta go to bed early for work? People act like everyone’s in a ‘gotta have it now’ mode these days, but seems like just the opposite if people are confused about why anybody would watch something live. It’s a patience I can’t begin to understand unless you have two shows on at the same time.

43. decisions decisions says:

BBT, Gotham, Originals, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, and possibly Scorpions. But not neccesarily in that order. I don’t have to worry about choosing which I will watch live, because I stream everything on the internet anyway. :O

44. Liz says:

Castle and The Blacklist is really the only conflict for me. But thanks to time shifting….

45. Ray says:

I’ve got rabbit ears and enough money left over to buy any series I want on DVD or bluray and still come out cheaper!

46. Paulina says:

P.S. The main cast of MTV’s Scream already been cast: Amy Forsyth (Reign), Willa Fitzgerald and Dillon Lane will be three of the six main characters.

47. Kissan says:

8:00-DWTS and Gotham LIVE. DVR Mom.

9:00-DWTS and Sleepy Hollow LIVE. DVR Scorpion.

10:00-The Blacklist LIVE.

48. Monday for me is only about The Big Bang Theory and The sleepy hollow, nothing else is important. I really hope that both of the cw show on monday will be canceled, it is time to make a place for something much better.

49. robinepowell says:

The only confict for me maybe, is Murdoch Mysteries on CBC. The past two seasons have been on Monday nights and last season at 9:00. That would mean choosing between Sleepy Hollow and Murdoch Mysteries.

50. GeoDiva says:

Sleepy Hollow and Blacklist are live (or at least semi-live) and Scorpin and Castle regulated to the dvr.