Exclusive

Game of Thrones Vet Cast as Charles Manson in NBC's Aquarius; FNL, Bunheads Alums Also Join Drama

unnamed-1

A killer trio have joined David Duchovny in NBC’s Charles Manson-themed event series Aquarius, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Game of ThronesGethin Anthony, Friday Night LightsGrey Damon and Bunheads’ Emma Dumont have boarded the 1960s-set drama, which stars Duchovny as a cop who goes undercover to track Manson and his brood.

RELATED NBC Orders David Duchovny-Led Charles Manson Drama Aquarius to Series

Anthony — who on Thrones played Renly Baratheon — will portray Manson, described here as the “archetypal Authentic Hippie Freak” whose intense charisma draws young followers to him in droves. A jailbird who has spent half his life in prison, Manson dominates his young women followers through a combination of sex, drugs and a paternalistic and caring attitude that masks his inner evil. A dark, seductive force of nature, he recruits young Emma Karn (played by Dumont) to his ranks — but his interest in her may be far beyond the merely sexual. In fact, he may have embroiled her father in a far-reaching conspiracy.

Damon, meanwhile, will co-star as Hodiak’s (Duchovny) new partner — and the two are well-matched in their maverick methods and savvy instincts. He helps Hodiak trace the missing Emma Karn, going undercover himself to learn more about Manson.

The 13-episode Aquarius is being penned by Profit brainchild John McNamara.

1. wordsmith says:

Wow. totally did not recognize Gethin Anthony without the beard. I would not have put that together if you hadn’t spelled out who he was.

2. Yea… None of their pics looks like them from their last shows. Regardless, good casting and the projects sounds really intriguing.

3. aleksa says:

This is pretty much the only show I’m looking forward to seeing in the new season. And yeah I’d NEVER have recognized Gethin without the beard.

4. DavidSask says:

I don’t like that Manson is a subject of a TV show, super sad!

• I agree! whats with all the shows centering on serial killers? And especially glorifying ones! I mean Manson should have died a long time ago, now their going to give him some more attention? I hope it tanks, but it probably wont, because people seem to enjoy shows and movies that glorify killers! And sure they will probably show him as bad, but its the fact that this is someone who really did at least cause the death of people, this is not Hannibal, its not fiction, its about a real maniac, that shouldn’t be entertainment!

• Jan says:

Oh, man … ITA! I was living in LA when all that went down. I don’t find the idea of a show about that monster entertaining in the least.

• TinLV says:

I hope its going to be more about the cops on his trail and the times they were living in that allowed a nutcase like Manson to flourish than about Manson himself. I understand it ends with the Tate-Lo Bianco murders. I really like Ducovny, so will probably check it out.

• Thad says:

Its called history! No different then a show about WWII, Hitler, Bonnie and Clyde, the Romans, Cowboys and Indians, or for that matter any show on Christianity.

5. Mari says:

Not interested in seeing a story based on Charles Manson despite enjoying Gethen Anthony’s performance in G.O.T. If it was any other subject, I would have tuned in. Hope he has the opportunity to use his talent on a better project.

6. J says:

Love Grey Damon. I’ll watch him in anything and this project sounds especially good.

7. I just made 10 out of 10 on the comet quiz! Yea, Me!!!!