Chelsea Handler, Netflix to 'Revolutionize' the Talk Show Beginning in 2016

Chelsea Handler Leaving E!

Netflix is getting into the talk show game and Chelsea Handler is leading the charge.

The streaming giant announced Thursday that it has signed E!’s departing late-night provocateur to a multi-year deal that includes a brand new talk show (to launch in early 2016).

RELATED The 10 Things We Absolutely Hated About Jimmy Fallon’s Historic Tonight Show Debut

Per Netflix, the currently-untitled show will “feature an updated format that still encompasses Chelsea’s unfiltered opinions on topical entertainment and cultural issues, as well as her signature guest interviews.”

The deal also calls for Handler to headline a stand-up comedy special as well as four docu-comedy specials “featuring her efforts to gain a better understanding on a variety of subjects ranging from NASCAR to politics and from Silicon Valley to the NBA draft.”

“If I was going to continue working in this industry, I knew I had to do something outside the box to keep myself interested,” Handler said in a statement. “I wanted to sit with the cool kids at lunch so I approached Netflix to make sure they were as cool as I thought they were, and when I confirmed my suspicions, like with any other future lover, I made my move. I’m more excited than I’ve been in awhile, and the team at Netflix is the most forward thinking, alert group I’ve sat down with in ages. No offense to the Shahs Of Sunset.”

Added Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos: “The Internet has disrupted many of the conventions of traditional television and together with Chelsea Handler, Netflix is looking forward to reimagining the late night talk show for the on-demand generation.” (The headline of Netflix’s release was even more bullish, promising Handler’s new series will “revolutionize the talk show.”)

In May, Handler officially announced that she was ending her seven-year gig as host of E!’s Chelsea Lately. An hour-long series finale is set to air on Tuesday, August 26.

1. Eric7740 says:

WOW!!! I’m excited!!! But 2016???!!!! I have to wait a year and a half before I get more Chelsea???!!!!

2. Some chick says:

I might actually maintain a subscription if she is on Netflix. Right now, I wait for a couple original programs to show up, do 30 days and watch them then cancel. Which I’ll do in August again for The Killing and Hemlock Grove. My DVR is at 33% available now it was at 1% in May lol

• Ally Oop says:

My kids are the only ones who use Netflix during the regular tv viewing year but at the end of May I found I only had left a few shows left in my pvr so now I’m taking turns with both Netflix and regular tv. On regular tv right now Im only watching Orphan Black, Continuum and Chasing Life. On Netflix this year so far I have watched Call the Midwife and am currently binging on Downton Abbey on my own and The Walking Dead when my husband wants us to watch something together. Orange Is the New Black, North & South and The Bletchley Circle are all on my watchlist on Netflix for this summer. I’ve decided to not watch certain shows like Longmire and Suits until the new episodes come to Netflix–those shows aren’t as important to me so I can risk Nettlix not picking up the new seasons next year. I am also going to drop several series and forgo several new series on regular tv next season in favour of just watching shows that turn up on Netflix.

3. TV Gord says:

I’ve been putting off getting Netflix (sheer laziness), but this will sign me on for sure! I can’t wait!

4. loz says:

Wow. But how can I watch netflix? Am in Australia don’t think we have it yet?

• Joey says:

I believe I’d heard about a way for non-US residents to get Netflix with US content (legally?). From what I’d heard, there would be the normal charge, plus an additional one to get US content. Not too sure, since I’m a US resident, but it’s what I’d heard about.

5. ES says:

I’m curious how it will revolutionize the medium. Binge watch a talk show? I’m curious.

6. Kay says:

Incredibly excited about all of this, with the exception of the 2016 release! Will the comedy specials air prior to this? And I assume it will not follow the same pattern as their scripted shows, where all episodes of a season release at once- I’m curious how often they’ll release an episode (or episodes).Definitely a good move for both Handler and Netflix though!

7. D. Nolan says:

I don’t subscribe to Netflix and this announcement won’t change that.

8. Willow says:

So happy with this news, and glad she left E. Netflix is really thinking smart!

9. Polly says:

at this point i’m hoping Joel McHale to take on the LLS when Craig Ferguson leaves

10. torimelching says:

Good for her but 2016???? Seriously. The landscape of late night could be dramatically different by then and probably will be.

11. Rich says:

Great just what this country needs another talking head

• TV Gord says:

She’s been around for years, so she’s not another talking head. She’s the same one, just taking her act elsewhere.

• SallyW says:

Like TV Gord said, she’s been around for years. So that tells me she’s what America wants, not needs. Besides, she is also one of the few (if not only) successful female late night hosts and has long since proved she can hang with the guys. She definitely deserves this and personally, I can’t wait!

12. HAP says:

Two comments. First, I am fairly certain that the 2016 start date is her choice simply because she feels she needs a break from her seven year long daily grind.

Second, I’m not sure what her new show will mean to late night programming inasmuch as with Netflix, one chooses when to watch a show. Not to mention there is no word on how often a show will be produced.

13. Maggie says:

I imagine that she won’t do the same Chelsea Lately format. Chelsea Lately’s format is to talk about current events, mostly involving celebrities, followed by an interview with a celebrity promoting a current project. Netflix is made for watching whenever you want to watch, which doesn’t seem to be compatible with a current events format.

14. Bill Cord says:

The difference between E show and Netflix will be that the curse words will not be beeped out.

15. E.F. Coleman says:

No thanks racist no talent, “date” black men but hate black people.