AMC Renews Breaking Bad Prequel, Moves Premiere Date — See First Photo

Saul Goodman is about to be a very busy man.

RELATED Better Call Saul: TV Vet Michael McKean Joins AMC’s Breaking Bad Prequel

AMC on Thursday announced that a 13-episode second season of Better Call Saul – the upcoming prequel to Breaking Bad, starring Bob Odenkirk – has already been ordered, bringing the series’ initial episode total to 23 before it even airs.

The spin-off’s premiere has also been moved to early 2015, with Season 2 slated to debut in early 2016.

Breaking Bad creator/showrunner Vince Gilligan is directing the pilot, and will co-showrun the series alongside Peter Gould, who created the character of Saul.

AMC also released the first on-set photo, featuring Gilligan, Gould and Odenkirk, which you can peruse below:

Better Call Saul

Thoughts on the first shot? Excited for the premiere? Drop your reactions in a comment below.

1. angie says:

that’s ballsy. More than likely no Aaron Paul or Bryan Cranston or Anna Gunn. What if it tanks cuz no one cares?

• atxnole says:

That won’t happen and everyone knows it. People love the character of Saul. Even if it did do poorly, they know it can find its legs on Netflix given what it did for Breaking Bad. Wouldn’t be surprised if they signed an exclusivity deal or something with them to help secure financing.

• Zach says:

Actually, Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston have hinted that they will be making appearances. And it’s not like Breaking Bad fans are known to care about Anna Gunn.

• Molly says:

Um yeah that won’t happen because Bob Odenkirk is too cool for school!!!

2. Joey Padron says:

Good photo from pilot filming looks good. Hope show does well when it premieres next year.

3. Pam goodley says:

Glad Bob found a new gig since he retired as the Chief of Police in Bimidji

4. IMHO says:

Bad News that we have to wait until 2015 to see Saul and Good News that we’ll be seeing Saul for at least 2 Seasons

5. Rook says:

I think I’ll pass.

6. Trenton says:

I think this show will be a huge hit personally. All depends on how they tell the stories. But the world of Breaking Bad is physical comedy, dark comedy, tense drama all mixed together brilliantly. Giving it two full years gives them a chance to see what works and what doesn’t, so by season two they know what the show is about. Which I think is well deserved trust in the people who made BB.

7. Walkie says:

I really, really want the show to be great. But I just don’t think a show centering around Saul will work. But I will trust Vince.

8. Celeste says:

My recently late husband and I LOVED Breaking Bad and we liked Saul! We were really looking forward to watching “Better Call Saul”. It will be hard to watch “Better Call Saul” without my incredible husband. But, I’m still looking forward to seeing it.

• eddie says:

sorry for your loss, i hope all turns out well in your life. God bless and enjoy the show when it airs :)

9. Jill says:

I hope its early 2015 bc I can’t wait much longer than that! I really miss BB!

10. E.F. Coleman says:

Love it, he portrays a great lawyer???!!!!