First Look: Meet the Descendants of Maleficent, Cruella & Other Big Bads

Did Cruella de Vil’s son inherit her famous frosted locks? The first official cast photo for Disney Channel’s fairy tale-flavored Descendants answers that question and more.

RELATED | Disney Channel Orders Fairest of the Mall Comedy Pilot

In the TV-movie (slated for release in 2015), the teen son of beauty Belle and her Beastly husband is poised to take the throne of the idyllic kingdom Auradon when he tenders his first proclamation: to invite the descendants of banished villains to attend prep school alongside the progeny of iconic Disney heroes.

In the photo below, clockwise from bottom left, you have Dove Cameron (Liv & Maddie) as Maleficent’s daughter Mal; Booboo Stewart (X-Men: Days of Future Past) as Jafar’s son Jay; Cameron Boyce (Jessie) as Cruella’s kid Carlos; and newcomer Sofia Carson as the Evil Queen’s offspring Evie.

Read below for more casting news.

Descendants Cast Photo Disney
Playing the aforementioned adult baddies are Kristin Chenoweth (Wicked), Maz Jobrani (The Interpreter), Wendy Raquel Robinson (The Game) and Kathy Najimy (Hocus Pocus), respectively.

Rounding out the prep school scene are Belle and Beast’s son Ben (played by Aussie newcomer Mitchell Hope), Fairy Godmother’s daughter Jane (Brenna D’Amico), Dopey’s boy Doug (Zachary Gibson), Cinderella’s lad Chad (Jedidiah Goodacre), Sleeping Beauty’s spawn Audrey (Sarah Jeffery) and Mulan’s daughter Lonnie (Dianne Doan).

Will you and/or your rugrats be tuning in? (Rhetorical question?)

1. Steve F. says:

Carlos looks like a character out of the video game Kingdom Hearts. Then again, seeing how that’s also a Disney collab…

2. Yeahman says:

Not sure how it would work but I think kids would go crazy for this.

3. Clarice says:

I think Disney may have something for the preteens to watch. Granted it has good story lines.

4. Roxy says:

Looks good I will watch

5. Olga says:

Great concept, but why are the kids’ names supposed to be like their parents? ‘Lonnie’ is Mulan’s daughter? Mu-Lan–>Lonnie? Why not something actually Chinese? And WHY are these poor teens’ outfits suffering from Disney Channel’s inability to layer clothes correctly?

6. Elga Nelly says:

Who’s the character with the purple hair ?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Third sentence: “clockwise from bottom left, you have Dove Cameron (Liv & Maddie) as Maleficent’s daughter Mal; Booboo Stewart (X-Men: Days of Future Past) as Jafar’s son Jay; Cameron Boyce (Jessie) as Cruella’s kid Carlos; and newcomer Sofia Carson as the Evil Queen’s offspring Evie….”

7. Robert says:

I love the look of the characters of the children of evil characters, would have been nice to see the children of the good characters. I have a feeling this movie will be something for the whole family, with the kind of jokes only adults will understand at times. I also have a feeling Disney have a potential marketing boom, in terms of books, dolls and sequels.

8. Malificent’s daughter SHOULD have her trademark horns.

9. Meg says:

I think the Twilight fans will watch. Booboo Stewart was one of the werewolves.

10. rachelle says:

Looks interesting. I don’t watch Disney anymore, but will be tuning in for this and Girl Meets World.

11. Diz says:

I’ll give it a try but I find it amazing all these characters end up having kids the same age & all live in the same place.

• Catherine says:

The thing is that the characters have had children many generations ago and as generation after generation passes by the Descendants come up… and I guess Jafar’s children/grand-children/grand-grand-children didn’t stay in Egypt. Ha ha. Anyways, this movie is supposed to be pure fun. No thought. Disney Channel will get shade no matter what they do. Honestly, I think the cast and the director and the script writing will make this movie really enjoyable. :)

12. Reality says:

Looks like a Halloween costume catalog to me.

13. Spandex says:

Gosh, this looks like a mess. So, were all the Disney villains single parents.. or are we gonna meet the baby daddies and mommies too? Would be interesting if Prince Charming had an “affair” with Cruella or something. If anything, this will most likely become a big hit next year.

14. jericho says:

My first inclination is to say, “Someone is getting fired for greenlighting this.”

15. Kim says:

Interesting concept, seriously unimaginative names. Were they done that way so the audience can be repeatedly smacked in the face with reminders of who everyone’s parents are?

16. pym says:

This idea is already being played out on the cartoon series Ever After High (on netflix)..which my 7 year old is obsessed with. We’ll see how this imagining compares.
    I have to say though, did they give more than two second of thoughts to the offspring names? If this is any indication, my expectations are very low.

17. acb says:

This plot sounds very similar to the Disney movie Sky High!

18. faith says:

If it was animated I would watch it but I think this is a big mistake, you can go so far with a cartoon and have so meaning more characters, and all the characters are from cartoons, plus I’m tired of all the same people playing characters in Disney shows.