The Fosters' Maia Mitchell Talks Callie's Daddy Issues, 'Hiccup' With Wyatt

The Fosters Season 2 Spoilers

When The Fosters returns for Season 2 on Monday (ABC Family, 9/8c), Callie has no desire to seek out her biological father. Hard to believe, considering he’s played by Dawson’s Creek alum Kerr Smith, right?

However, circumstances will force her to confront the man she sees as just a “sperm donor,” describes star Maia Mitchell.

RELATED | Exclusive Fosters Video: Mariana’s Sexy Hobby Gets Some Hot, Others Bothered

It’s a good thing then that she has boyfriend Wyatt to lean on for support. But a “hiccup” will cause some trouble for the young lovers, reveals Mitchell below. The actress also weighs in on Callie and foster bro Brandon’s feelings for each other.

TVLINE | How is Callie handling the news about her biological dad not being who she thought it was?
When the season picks up, you see her basically trying to figure that out. She’s not interested in knowing who this person is. If she had her way, she would never put a face to his name. She doesn’t want to open another door and not know what’s on the other side of it. For Callie, now it’s really about the adoption and how can we get this happening, especially now that Jude’s been adopted. She really sees the effect that it has on Jude, knowing that he’s been adopted and she hasn’t. That’s really where her head’s at. She’s not so interested in knowing who this Robert Quinn person is.

TVLINE | Kerr Smith is coming on to play Robert. What can you say about their dynamic?
Callie really isn’t wanting to know much about Robert. In her mind, it’s literally a sperm donor and that’s it. … But as she learns more about him, she realizes that it really wasn’t his choice. He didn’t abandon her. You see her very, very slowly soften and kind of warm to him, but I don’t think she really wants a father-daughter relationship at any point.

TVLINE | It’s a big deal for Callie to have to go through all of this. Is there someone in particular who becomes her support system in this journey?
You really see her and Wyatt’s relationship get stronger and stronger. He’s definitely someone that Callie feels like she can trust. Then the parents, Stef, especially, is someone that Callie has grown really close to now. It’s funny, if you look at the pilot, she was so threatened by Stef, and now they’re closer than ever. So Stef is a big person that she looks up to. Brandon even becomes this really strong support network for her, and Mariana as well. So she has the whole family backing her, which is a huge thing for her.

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars Renewed for Season 6 and Season 7 By ABC Family

TVLINE | How do they feel about her biological dad? Do they have an opinion about whether she should accept him into her life or not?
Stef, in particular, is very protective of Callie. So you see her put her cop hat on. She’s very weary of the whole situation. The whole family wants her to be able to be adopted and be a part of the family. This whole Robert Quinn drama is not something that they want to keep around. Everybody just wants to get rid of it and move on.

TVLINE | Is relationship with Wyatt on solid ground? Are we going to see some issues come up for them?
You do see them on solid ground. You see them enjoying each other. It’s definitely young love. They have really strong feelings for each other. He’s such a great guy, and she trusts that he has her best interests at heart. But you will see a bit of a hiccup later on in the season. They’re starting to be more intimate, and as young people, they’re exploring their sexuality. For Callie, that brings up some stuff in her past with Liam. That physical threat, she still feels that whenever she’s intimate. That’s definitely something she’s going to have to address and work through moving forward to other relationships. You see a lot of issues from Callie’s past that she’s going to have to address.

The Fosters Season 2 SpoilersRELATED | TV Icons Marion Ross and Ed Asner to Visit ABC Family’s Chasing Life

TVLINE | What about her and Brandon? Are there any lingering feelings?
This season, for both of them, is about letting go, moving forward. They access each other for support. Callie, at one point, refers to him as her best friend. They’re really trying to maintain that trust and that bond without it being romantic. It’s a little more difficult for Brandon than it is for Callie. You see him needing her permission to keep moving forward. He has a new love interest. So that’s really interesting, like how far he’ll go with that and what that brings up for Callie and him. You see them both really trying to give each other the permission to let go and keep moving on.

1. Rook says:

I really hope they do let go of Callie and Brandon. It seemed to drag the show down for the last half of the season.

• Bryce says:

Yeah, it’s just not a good plot line on a show full of great plot lines. I feel like they don’t know what to do with Brandon, because he’s honestly boring. I wish he was “old enough” to just be shipped off to college. The twins, Callie and Liam are enough for me personally.

2. jerrired says:

I’m kind of torn on Callie and Brandon. I loved their relationship and chemistry the first half of season 1. But season 1B, it was a very toxic relationship for both of them. So we’ll see where the writers decide to go with them in the end. But I don’t expect it to be resolved this soon. We probably have at least a couple more seasons of angst between the pair, even with new love interest.

However, I’m most exited to see Jack McPhee (Kerr Smith) on the series and how Callie and his relationship progresses. Even if she ends up permanently as Stef and Lena’s daughter, I hope they have her, at least temporarily, live with Robert and explore that relationship. And I felt bad for Wyatt, it always seemed like Callie was using him as a placeholder to help her get over Brandon, but it’ll be interesting to see if it really grows into love for Callie.

3. johnhelvete says:

Brandon sleeping with his dad’s GF while drunk was much worse than anything involving Brandon and Callie.

4. Wild child says:

Please dear God no more Callie and Brandon. That toxic relationship consumed the second half of the first season and not in a good way. I’m more interested in watching this dynamic family, not foster siblings falling in love. It was weird and Brandon was getting creepy and this ridiculous storyline of a new bio dad was the writers lame way of dragging that story out a bit more for the obsessed Brallie fans…ugh. Just let the girl get adopted already.

5. Dee says:

Thank the Lord they are sticking to leaving Brandon & Callie as just friends!! She is way more better with Wyatt!!

6. Flychick86 says:

The continuation of Callie’s birth/foster Dad.

7. Leila says:

So glad for this show to be returning! One question regarding the promo and I know that this question has absolutely zero to do with this article, but wasn’t there a moment during the promo where it looked like everyone was at the hospital because there was something wrong with the baby? I hope not, because this family has been through so much already. Well, regarding Callie and her bio-daddy sitch, it will be interesting to see that dynamic play out in its entirety. I also wonder if her friends from the group home (hope I am using the correct term) will make another appearance. To me, they were very interesting and intriguing characters and I came to like all of them and Rosie O’ Donnell’s character as well. Truth be told, Callie’s time there with them is what kept me tuned to the show last season. I am glad to know that Callie and Brandon will remain friends this time around. I like them individually, but not collectively. I like Wyatt, well, I like Wyatt’s hair. That hair is a character with a story all unto itself. It should roll in the opening credits. Speaking of hair, did my eyes deceive me or did I see Mariana rocking blonde locks in the promo? Oh well. Whatever will be, will be. I wonder if they will continue hinting at Jude’s sexuality this season. If so, it will be interesting to see how they play it out with a younger character and to follow him on that journey. Well, no matter what this season holds for ‘The Fosters’, I will be watching!

8. melani e says:

I think Brandon made a huge mistake he slept with his father ex-girlfriend.

9. anonymous says:

I’m really excited about the bio dad drama and can’t wait to see the relationship unfold between Callie and her dad :) but I REALLY HATE THE WYATT CALLIE SHIP IT’S SO BLAH! BRANDON AND CALLIE BELONG TOGETHER BECAUSE THEY ARE SO AMAZING TOGETHER AND SO ADORABLE AND NO ONE IS BETTER FOR BRANDON THAN CALLIE AND VICE VERSA THEY CAN’T JUST START A STORYLINE AND THEN JUST DECIDE TO COMPLETELY CHANGE IT BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE ARE COMPLETE AND UTTER IDIOTS AND THEY HAVE NO IMAGINATION WHATSOEVER IT’S PART OF WHAT MAKES THIS SO AWESOME NOT JUST THE ONE ELEMENT BUT ALL OF THEM TOGETHER. SO WITH THAT SAID I HOPE THEY DON’T THESE ARCS AND PUT BRALLIE BACK TOGETHER DO ROMANTIC DRAMA WITH MARIANA AND HER BOYFRIEND AND JESUS AND HIS GIRLFRIEND INSTEAD.

• Wild child says:

How old are you? Like 12? There could be no other reason than misguided youth that would make me believe anyone in their right mind would think creepy Brandon who lies, cheats, steals, borderline obsessed with his foster sister and sleeps with his faher’s ex girlfriend would ever be a better man than Wyatt who has pretty much done nothing but put Callie first even when it cost him his own happiness. Maybe you think Brandon is dreamy or whatever but he is practically Callie’s family and at this point their involvement is super weird. Besides, how many times has it been stated that she needs a family more than a boyfriend. Grow up.

• briannacheree says:

I personally feel that the Brandon and Callie relationship was way to cliché. Everyone expects them to fall in love and end up together but I’d rather see them content with being a real family. Callie gets what she always wanted : stability; and Brandon gives this to her by letting her go. I’m all for Wyatt and Callie (mostly because I’d totally do Wyatt Lol 😜😘) . STAY STRONG CALLIE AND WYATT!!

10. christina says:

great interview.
    I really really think it wont be a turning back with Brqndon and Callie. he show is great without this particular think. It isnt healthy .
    Love Callie and Wyatt together. There is a big potential growing !!

11. brooks says:

I think Brandon and Callie should be together. After all they aren’t siblings and the chemistry during season 1 was awesome. Hate that they dropped it like a hot rock.

12. wat d hell is wrong with people, Brandon is My favorite character on the show and no matter what it will always be Brandon and Callie. wyatt can take a break for all i care.

13. Charlie says:

Brallie all the way! Their chemistry is too good to be siblings. I think that the writers took the easy way out because some people think it is “wierd” but they are not related & lets be honest will never be related. I like Wyatt but him & Callie are so BLAH together. If Brandon & Callie get back together then eventually they will get married then Callie would still get the family she needs anyway.
    Perfect! ;)

14. naomi says:

i love wyatt and callie so much.and its very nice that they are both moving on

15. mars says:

My thoughts:
    1. Brandon & Callie? Gross! It’s practically incest.
    2. Jesus’s tattoo was a huge mistake! He should not be wasting his time with Hayley.
    3. I can’t believe Lena quit her job. I agree with Stef’s theory that the reason she did so was because she wanted control over something.
    4. I am so worried about Sophia! Who knows what will happen, alone in a bathroom. Will she selfharm? Let’s pray she doesnt commit suicide!

16. mars says:

My thoughts:
    1. Brandon & Callie? Gross! It’s practically incest. Brandon is making terrible decisions. Sleeping with his dad’s girlfriend???? It was so disgusting I couldnt watch!!!!!!!!