Exclusive

ABC's Alien Thriller The Whispers Makes Major Casting Change

BRIANNA BROWN, KYLIE ROGERS, BARRY SLOANE, LILY RABE, KYLE HARRISON BREITKOPF, MILO VENTIMIGLIA

ABC’s midseason drama The Whispers is undergoing a bit of a casting shake-up.

TVLine has learned exclusively that series regular Brianna Brown — who portrayed Lena, the photojournalist wife of Barry Sloane’s character, Wes, in the pilot — has exited the series for creative reasons.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

The role will be recast and Brown’s scenes will be re-shot.

Produced by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin TV, The Whispers (fka The Visitors) chronicles a race against the clock to defeat an unseen alien enemy out to destroy the world by using the most unlikely and unsuspecting inhabitants on the planet: the children.

Brown’s previous credits include stints on Devious Maids, True Blood and General Hospital. She kicks off a recurring gig as FBI officer Juan Badillo’s widowed wife on USA Network’s Graceland on June 18.

1. Try Again says:

“creative reasons”. She’s lying , she just don’t want to film the show and move to Vancouver. And that’s a really dumb reason , she’s not even that good of an actress so girl , byyyye.

• aria808 says:

You don’t know the whole story so don’t bad-mouth her. She could’ve been let go from the show because the producers wanted someone else. The “creative differences” could have been on their end and not hers.

• Lambsilencer says:

Well, it didn’t say “creative differences”, it says “creative reasons”. Might have nothing to do with conflict. It could just be that she didn’t really fit the role anymore after the showrunners started mapping out the season.

• 324B21 says:

Whenever they say “creative reasons” it is always the decision of the writers/producers not the actor. Either she just didn’t click with the other actors or they couldn’t figure out what to do with her character.

2. whisperintherain says:

Sorry to see her out of a job, but I’m sure another show will eventually snatch her up. This actually solves my dilemma regarding this particular show, as I strongly disliked both Milo Ventimiglia on Gilmore Girls and Barry Sloane on Revenge. I only planned to give this show a chance because of Brianna Brown. Now that she’s gone, I don’t have to bother anymore… unless they recast with someone I really like, of course!

• aria808 says:

I feel the same. However I was going to be watching it for Brianna and Lily. It sucks that Brianna is no longer in the show because I’ve loved her ever since Devious Maids, but Lily is still in it, so I’ll be tuning in for her. But yeah, I can’t stand Milo.

• TinLV says:

She’s on Graceland this season in a recurring role. It sounds to me like she left The Whispers on her own. Whatever her reasons, it doesn’t inspire me to watch the show. I like her as a actress. She was really good as the crazy stalker chick on GH and I really liked her on Devious Maids last year.

3. Dr_Para says:

I’ve seen the pilot episode, it’s okay but nothing truly special. It will fit well and feels like an ABC show but I honestly don’t know if it’s something worth sitting through a whole season of. Also, Barry Sloane doing an American accent is strange and there are times when you’re paying attention to that more and waiting for him to accidently slip into British.

• Thilia says:

I am that way with Hugh Dancy on Hannibal lol

• johnhelvete says:

Have to disagree about Hugh Dancy, as an American I find his accent to be very good. Ranking the American accents on TV from Damian Lewis on one end up the spectrum to Phoebe Tonkin in Secret Circle on the other end of the spectrum, Dancy is pretty close to Damian Lewis.

4. JASon says:

SHoot I really loved Brianna in General Hospital and Homeland. Was looking forward to seeing her on TV again

5. Craig May says:

When can whispers be seen in Britain?

6. I hope that the creative differences were that Once Upon a Time wanted her to be Elsa…

7. Ray says:

Why is the guy shirtless in the promo pic?

• Mel says:

Shirtless? Unbuttoned, yes, but not shirtless. Guess that’s how his character rolls.

• Dr_Para says:

He’s covered in alien tattoos and words or something along those lines. He does show up shirtless if I remember correctly, but most of his appearance in the pilot is in a hospital bed as he’s in this “coma.”

8. KN says:

I guess she didn’t want to move to Canada.

9. Dan says:

The series sounds great! The whole “alien using children” story does remind me of the miniseries on Torchwood a few years back called, “Children of Earth”.
    I’ll be watching :-)

10. dude says:

Sucks. She’s a great actress. Shame she can’t find a role worthy of her.

11. Bill Wilson says:

I’m looking forward to the show. It’s based on a Ray Bradbury short story, “The Zero Hour,” which was made into one of the scariest episodes of the “Suspense” radio series ever aired! I still get goosebumps thinking about the ending of that show! Anxious to see how it will play out as a series …

12. hookups says:

If volunteering is the one thing that makes youu feel usefull and worthwhile, you want sommeone wwho would, at the very least, support youu if not join you in your volunteer projects.
    Don’t associate thi email addresss with your other email addresses.
    You feel low self-esteem and rejected after an emotional break up;
    causing you to doubt yourself.

13. Dawson says:

All kind of things can happen behind the scenes. I was only going to give the show a shot because I love Brianna as an actress. Otherwise, the show didn’t seem impressive to me. Hopefully she’ll get cast on something much better. You can tell from Brianna’s “The New Hollywood” organization, social media, and those that worked with her on GH that she has a good head on her shoulders. The Whisper’s loss will be someone else’s gain.