Pretty Little Liars Season Premiere Recap: Girlz N the Hood

Pretty Little Liars Season Premiere

Pretty Little Liars returned for its fifth season Tuesday, and while most of the girls managed to escape from New York unscAthed, one Rosewood resident will be heading home in a body bag.

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars Renewed for Season 6 and Season 7 By ABC Family

Good ol’ Shana — who apparently become a straight-up thug overnight — was revealed to be Ezra’s season-finale shooter, but it wasn’t long before she got a taste of her own medicine. After Shana pulled a gun on the girls and explained that all of her misdeeds were part of a screwed-up attempt to find “justice” for Jenna, Aria intervened and “accidentally” sent the nutcase tumbling to her death.

THE HUSH-TINGS | Meanwhile, back in Rosewood, the Hastings were up to their cardigans in family drama, as Melissa struggled to keep her own big secret. But what is that secret, you ask? As long as Papa McDrunks refuses to let his daughter say it out loud, we’ll never know, though it might have something to do with one of the following people…

MONA’S MINIONS | Even shadier than the Hastings — if that’s possible — was Mona, who seemed none too pleased to see Alison’s face plastered all over the news. Weirder still, it looks like she’s got herself a new team of anti-Alison flunkies, which includes Hermie Lucas and Melissa. She also tried to enlist Paige, but Emily’s ex-girlfriend refused to participate, so she left to go drown someone in a pool … or whatever it is she does when no one is looking.

Pretty Little Liars Season PremiereEZRIA 3.0? | Even though the timing couldn’t have been worse, this week’s premiere made sure to squeeze in a few choice Aria/Ezra moments. After learning that he only came to New York to win her back, Aria decided to stay by Ezra’s side until he emerged from the world’s sexiest coma. He managed to wake up just in time to warn her about Shana, and it’s probably a good thing she didn’t leave his side any sooner, or else she would have had to listen to Alison wax poetic about her own failed courtship with Mr. Fitz.

AU REVOIR, CECE | One last thing of note was the revelation that CeCe was, in fact, never actually Red Coat. It turns out she only came to Rosewood in the first place to collect information for Ezra, but she ended up getting in over her head and killing Detective Wilden. Fortunately, Alison had a plane ticket with CeCe’s — er, Vivian Darkbloom’s — name on it, so she jetted off to freedom. (For now.)

Was the Pretty Little Liars premiere everything you were hoping for? Drop a comment with your review of the episode below, along with your newest theories.

1. L says:

Kill Fitz… Creepy stalker who sleeps with his underage students.. nonredeemable… he needs to go away.

2. MJ says:

Probably the best episode since season 3. Season 4 wasn’t that good.

• Andy Swift says:

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but I thought this premiere would be… bigger, somehow. I’m curious to see what happens when they go back home.

• Liz says:

Completely agree! It had its moments but the episode as a whole left me feeling kinda eh. I didn’t even have my normal WTH was that I can’t watch this show anymore moment!

3. Reblogged this on THB Files and commented:
    I gotta that it was pretty intense at the scenes including the beginning and ending. I’m glad that I didn’t spoil for anyone because people would might as get upset for it but the episode was aight. I hope Ezra would be alright. Much props to the writers, producers and the whole cast of Pretty Little Liars.

4. Mary Kate says:

This recap cracks me up! “Up to their cardigans” and Shauna becoming a straight up thug is hilarious! I was pleased that they didn’t drag out Ezra knowing who A, or at least who one of the As was. I totally thought he was going to have amnesia or something.

• Elyse says:

I thought the same! I didn’t think there was any way they would reveal A in this weeks episode. Buuuut I also thought Shana being A was kind of a cop out.

• Mary Kate says:

Agreed. There’s definitely more to A. When Spencer said, “It’s finally over” I actually laughed!

5. Elyse says:

Shana as A seems like a cop out. I know she wasn’t A in the books but was she in the books at all?! She only showed up a few seasons ago and how long are we supposed to assume she and Jenna were together? Oh and the girls leaving the body… SMH. they have like ZERO common sense. She attacked them… it was self defense. Still love the show and excited to see where they go from here.

6. Elle says:

So we are to accept that Shauna is the one who jumped to the other building in the winter finale?
    I wonder who all the A wannabes in the park were?

7. webly3 says:

We barely knew Shana tbh. She was the main leader of the A-team’s pawn. I’m surprised she had the ability to jump from building to building.

8. L says:

I dont see how Shana could be considered a “significant” death.. she was a bit player at best.

• emma says:

that for sure wasn’t the significant death this season that Marlene was talking about. she said she doesn’t want to make that call to the actor, implying that the actor doesn’t know they’re going to die yet. so i’m sure the significant death will be in the second part of season 5.

9. Drea says:

When will this be over? Its starting to drag!

10. Et al. says:

They’ve written themselves into such a corner that the only possible endgame that this show can have is that it’s all the daydream of an autistic child with a snow globe.

11. Nate says:

An F as usual

12. Liz says:

The episode wasn’t bad by any means however after a full hiatus of build up it failed to impress. The scene with the “multiple A’s” was laughable, I mean seriously how does A have time to coordinate a flash mob? Overall it was more eh than OMG. I have higher hopes for the next episode, and hopefully they finally give us a hint as to wth is Melissa’s deal, because the whispering and surprised faces thing is getting old fast.

13. Meredith says:

Paige actually never left Mona’s meeting. She opened the door to go and Melissa walked in at which point she decided to stay, presumably to spy and get back in Emily’s good graces. Shauna as A doesn’t seem plausible to me. Where would she find the time and money let alone the intelligence to pull that off? I would love for the show to have one final season pop-up video style of past episodes where the execs could explain clues and what they were thinking. Although this would probably bring light to gaping plot holes :/

14. Radha says:

I really enjoyed this show in the beginning, but I think it’s bad that they renewed it for seasons 6 and 7. It’s clear that the writers don’t have a clue as to who is actually A. At this point nothing they come up with will be satisfactory. I haven’t given up on the show because if I’ve watched this far, I might as well continue, but I just can’t see them explaining every creepy/weird/disturbing/mysterious thing that EVERY character has done since season 1. There are so many characters that leave for long stretches of time, and so many plot twists, that I can’t keep track anymore.

For instance, the fact that it was Shana that shot Fitz didn’t even register with me b/c I was sitting there laughing at the horrible acting that was going on in that scene. And I didn’t even remember that CeCe was under suspicion for killing Wilden. Just too many plot points to keep up with. But again, I will keep on watching, because to get ANY explanation at this point would be a blessing.

But to be honest? If the writers don’t explain who was doing what at this time and that time, and if they don’t backtrack and show who was stalking which girl at whatever point (for example: who was inside Spencer’s closet way back at the beginning of the show and who was in Hanna’s house while she was in the wheelchair) …I’m going to be disappointed.

And I absolutely cannot stand the character of Alison. I like our four girls and that’s it. Adding Alison into the mix, who to me is a complete sociopath, is a mistake.

15. Nona says:

This show is so convoluted and has so many random plot lines going at this point that is impossible to keep up with who did what when and with whom. I’m starting to not even care. How long can you drag out the “We found A, but oops! No we didnt it’s just A’s flunkie”? Gfoh.

16. kiki says:

I’m sad Shana’s gone as I liked her!! And LOL @ straight up thug overnight, lol. I also found it to be a copout and I’m upset she’s gone because I REALLY liked Shana’s no-nonsense ways and it was just so outta the blue. I liked seeing the girls altogether and, surprisingly, I think I liked the Mona bits the best– just so Mona. I laughed at the flashmob, like it was pretty freaky up until then but when tons of “A”s came out like that, all I could think is one of the girls were gonna wake up from some freaky dream.

I thought the writers were committed to one particular person being “Big A” from the beginning (exluding Mona), so I hope they’re not changing it around. I hope they stick with their original choice (unless it’s the twin theory then I’ll be annoyed). OH, and WHO is the other body in the grave meant for Alison?