Orphan Black Recap: The New Guy

Orphan Black Season 2 Recap

Oh boy, is there anything Tatiana Maslany can’t do?

That’s the question of the night after Saturday’s Orphan Black, in which Sarah and Felix made a mysterious, yet familiar addition to their gang. But this introduction came with a twist: The latest member of Clone Club is a he! And as Maslany took on her newest challenge, playing transgender clone Tony, the answer to the above question was a resounding, “Nope!”

RELATED | TVLine’s Performer of the Week: Tatiana Maslany

TONY THE TIGER | You know it’s going to be a crazy episode when two minutes in, you’re already yelling, “Oh, my God! What?!” And this hour totally is, throwing you into the action with Tony and his friend Sammy, who’s been shot. But whatever to his wound, is that Tatiana Maslany with facial hair?! Needless to say, it took me a second to wrap my brain about what was going on, especially with Maslany’s voice so drastically different.

Sammy implores Tony to find Beth Childs. Since Beth is dead, Art takes Tony’s call and then enlists Felix’s help. After the initial bewilderment at discovering a transgender clone – “Holy Tilda Swinton,” Felix exclaims – they try to figure out what Tony knows about his origins. He doesn’t recognize the secret passcode when Felix recites, “Just one. I’m a few, no family, too. Who am I?” Tony’s reply: “Pretty gay by the looks of this place.” All he knows is that Beth said that they might be related and that Sammy had a message for her, which he’s not spilling until someone clues him into what’s going on.

Tony struts around Felix’s place, stripping down for a bath, needling Felix at every turn. “I know your game, Tony,” says Felix. “Pushing buttons. Testing boundaries. … What you’re doing here is more complicated than sex or gender.” Then Tony plants a kiss on Felix – after he discovers a painting of Sarah, interestingly enough. It’s kind of weird – just moments earlier, Felix was commenting how much Tony was like his sister! – so Fee pulls away with a quiet, “Fluidity doesn’t shock me.”

Tony pulls out the painting and demands to know the truth, but Felix insists it’s not his place to tell him. Just as Tony is about to ditch the loft, Sarah arrives and the two size each other up. Tony is surprisingly nonchalant and chill about the clone revelation. He already did the identity crisis thing, so his response is, “Look at us, we’re hot. Damn, girl.” That makes Sarah smile, big time. The new guy is A-OK by her.

RELATED | Post Mortem: Orphan Black‘s Dylan Bruce on That Sex Scene, Paul ‘Stalking’ Sarah and More

Now that everything is out in the open, Tony reveals Sammy’s message: “Tell Beth keep the faith. Paul is like me. He’s on it. He’s a ghost.” (It should be noted that Paul is completely MIA this week, and Rachel is not happy about it. Her voicemail to him: “Paul, your absence is inconvenient, and your silence is irksome.”) Is Sammy a monitor, too? Does Dyad have dirt on him? He’s ex-military, so maybe he was caught up in whatever happened in Afghanistan, as well?

Looking at Felix’s paintings, Tony thinks he could “get along with dreadlocks, but that one with the soccer ball looks like a douche.” Felix comes to Alison’s defense, calling her a “functional alcoholic” and “not that bad.” Alas, Tony won’t get a chance to meet his other sisters. Felix sends him off, with a clone phone, to catch a bus to get far away from all of this. Despite everything, Felix knows Tony is going to be OK. Somehow, these two have bonded. (But Felix and Alison FTW, always.) Tony leaves with a quick peck on the lips and a cheeky, “Later, sister kisser.”

Orphan Black Season 2 RecapCOSIMA | She reveals to Scott that she’s their sick test subject. “It’s a honor, Cosima. An honor to be working with you,” he replies. Meanwhile, lovers Delphine and Cosima make peace (with an asterisk) and get high. “Je t’aime,” Delphine confesses. As lovely as it is, it’s not enough. “It’s all of us,” notes Cosima. “You have to love all of us. *Because if you betray us again, I have enough dirt on you to destroy your career. And I love you, too.” When Duncan finally comes in to Dyad to meet Cosima, she starts coughing and seizing. Meanwhile, back as Mrs. S’ house, Kira takes out the book Duncan gave her, which is filled with scientific scrambles and formulas. Is the cure actually in Kira’s hands?

ALISON | Her first day back at home from rehab is a messy one: Alison finds Donnie in bed, little bottles surrounding him. These two are a match made in drunk, killer heaven. Donnie tries to sneak out in the middle of the night, but Alison catches him and refuses to let him give up on their marriage. “No, we are not there yet,” she exclaims. “We have a whole mountain to climb. We’re not even at base camp yet! … Don’t you love me anymore? Did you ever love me?” she asks quietly. It’s actually really nice to see that for all her verbal and physical bashing of Donnie, there’s a part of Alison that’s still invested in their love. After she reveals what happened with Aynsley, Donnie makes his own confession. “I’m pretty sure he crapped himself,” he says, opening up the car trunk where Leekie is stashed.  “This is not at all well wrapped,” Alison remarks disapprovingly, busting out her crafty side. “I’m going to make a new liner.” And then she’s fully back to thinking Donnie is a turnip an idiot because he used her gun and put it back in her locker. Oh, come on, Donnie!

RACHEL | Delphine now reports to the proclone, who claims Leekie suffered a fatal heart attack in the private jet. Rachel sends Delphine to convince Sarah to bring Duncan into the Dyad immediately. The cure to Cosima’s illness lies in his synthetic sequences, but they’re running out of time. Duncan reassures Sarah that he can really cure Cosima, as immodest as it is to boast, so off to the Dyad he goes. “Don’t worry, I’m nobody’s pawn,” he tells Kira, handing her that book. (Is it part of a plan to not let Dyad get all the science?) His second meeting with Rachel goes much differently than their first reunion. She’s got her walls up and wants to know why the trampy, unmonitored clone could reproduce. That ability may be envious to the others, but Sarah is actually a failure. The clones are barren by design, Duncan reveals. “I suppose you couldn’t have created a reproducing prototype, could you? That would be irresponsible, which is unforgivable,” says Rachel as her response is intercut with scenes of her trashing her office and crying. I’ll confess: I found it kind of odd and jarring. After losing her parents and Leekie, is this her desperation for a family coming out? What do you make of the meltdown?

Orphan Black fans, what did you think of Tony? Wasn’t it lovely how his introduction actually gave us a lot of great Felix scenes? They’re not really going to kill Cosima, right?! And can we agree that this funny/sweet Felix and Sarah exchange was the best of the episode: “He’s got some of your worst qualities.” “You’re the very best of us.”

1. Alichat says:

The moment Tony hopped out of the van, I knew from the eyes it was Tatiana. And my closed captioning was on, so it said ‘American accent’ when Tony spoke. So immediately I’m “Whoa….another clone.” Then when Tony removed the bandana, I almost dropped my dinner on the floor. So fantastic. Now……where is Paul?!?!

2. Abby says:

What an episode. I thought the scene with Rachel and Ethan showed how very much she controls and represses her emotions. Raging on the inside, controlled outside.

3. Nicotine says:

I’ll be honest… when I first saw Tony, I was skeptical. My first thought was: “Oh boy, they’re about to jump the shark.”

But it was handled wonderfully. Tatiana Maslany and Jordan Gavaris can do no wrong. I don’t know why I was ever worried. This show is just amazing. Kudos to everyone involved. Tony is a welcome member of the Clone Club.

• Pix says:

Heh, mu first thought after reading your comment? “Yeah, but he also has a nice chemistry with the actress who plays Alison”. I’m never gonna get used to the fact that most of this show’s cast is one person, lol

4. Sue says:

“Holy Tilda Swinton.” Funniest line of the episode. Am I the only one who laughed last week when Donnie shot Leekie? I must have a twisted sense of humor, I guess.

• Meagan says:

Yeah, this has to go on the quotes of the week. I’m surprised that Felix’s quote “he looks like he was molested by elves.” wasn’t on the list last week.

• Elaine Bondra says:

Hell no. I laughed my ass off when Donnie killed Leekie. And my first thought was how great it will be when Donnie & Felix finally meet. I canNOT wait for THAT. OMG. And yes, LOVED the Tilda Swinton line.

5. Kevin says:

Delphine has recently won me over. I used to dislike her very much.

6. ... says:

This season has had too much going on as it is, so the introduction of another clone, especially a gimmicky one like Tony, this late in the game was disappointing. Hopefully the next two episodes are devoted exclusively to wrapping most of these threads up and next season’s plotting is much less muddled than what this season has been.

• AnitaK says:

Agreed. This season seems to be all over the place.

• Scott Johnston says:

All over the place – in what respect? It seems fine to me so long as I pay attention to all the detail. The story is progressing quite steadily in one overall direction, although there are a few strange detours along the way.

• bigdede says:

Compared to last season, yes this season is all over the place. Especially the storyline with Helena getting impregnated by the religious zealots. That storyline is just crazy and off. The introduction of Tony was not needed right now since they have too much going on unless his introduction is to explain Paul. His partner is connected to Paul. Why is Sarah running so much when it seems anyone can find her so easily? All they have to do is wait for her at Felix’s house. Why is Art still suspended? Why is Art’s partner sweating Alison? Is she really needed? I don’t even remember her name. Who was that lady from Star Trek Rachel was talking to last week? There is just too much going on. Last season was so easy and the Sarah/Paul romance was awesome. My favorite episode is still the one where she rescues Paul from that club.

• Garyc says:

what disappointed me was the way they seemed to drop what they had been building up toward the end of season one; about how Sarah was brought to Ms. S (the back story of how and why the clones were first developed. Guess they are getting to it through small reveals one at a time, but its been mixed up with a lot of seemingly extraneous stuff like Alison’s rehab and the Sarah/Helena bonding roadshow. fun stuff, but a bit of a distraction.

• Lisa London says:

I agree too.

• Les Vogt says:

I think the plot lines have been intentionally scattered in order to both widen the scope and then be brought back together in surprising and dramatic ways at the end.

• Elaine Bondra says:

I have to say I totally disagree. This show does keep you on your toes but I love it’s complexity. I don’t need to see every major character in every episode and I’m content to see the season unfold in a less than linear way. If we knew all the answers, we wouldn’t stay interested. I like being challenged & the characters are all interesting enough to keep me fascinated.

7. Babygate says:

While I relish the idea of seeing Tatiana stretch even further her acting chops, I have to admit I’m not crazy about the introduction of Tony. It felt like it was too much. So close to the end of the season we are introduced to a new clone that as fun as he is to watch, really contributes nothing and we will have no time to know him better. And I’m unclear as to the purpose of his addition. I would have preferred to see Helena who is still my favorite clone.

• msnyder1985 says:

I think that his whole introduction will be shown to have to do with Paul’s where abouts. I thought it was interesting how the message said for Beth to “keep the faith”. Maybe a hint about prolethians?

• LovinLife says:

My feelings exactly. There were many other ways to deliver the reveal about Paul without dedicating some much time at this point in the season to a new clone. One that will obviously need time to burn in with the audience and doesn’t appear to be coming back this season. Too many other things going on. We need more Helena at this point. I’m sure Tatiana is up for any acting challenge but really this far into the production, that had to be really hard on her pysche, to get another, very diverse character out of that crazy talented brain of hers.
      The makeup didn’t help create this character IMO, so it was all Tatiana bringing that character to life.

• Marie says:

I too find Tatiana Maslany such an incredible actress to be able to make us forget she is an actress playing dozens of different characters. She makes each one so believable – we develop feelings for them individually. I particularly like Allison’s perky, contrived demeanor and Helena’s intensity – her sexually charged encounter with Josh in the bar scene was so real. BTW, the Helena hairline also not so good, looks like her wig is sewn on a headband.
        I also felt that the Tony character was one too many at this point with so many ongoing important storylines some of which have been left dangling such as the egg harvesting/implanting by the proletheans. Although he brings an interesting identity perspective, Tony did not have a very believable appearance for his character. The interesting part of this character is that he becomes part of the barrenness discussion whereby choosing the transgender route – offsprings become a non-issue (Rachel is devastated when Ethan reveals that barrenness was programmed – then again, you don’t want clones unstable genetically to reproduce) and the link with Paul might loop him back into Sarah’s life.
        On the negative side, Tony’s makeup was so very amateurish, it was hard to look past the actress. His part worked when you did not look at him full on. Tatiana did well with the voice and intonations most of the time, I say most of the time because some British pronunciation creeped in occasionally. But seriously, I have never seen male eyebrows like that even on metrosexuals that wax them. And the beard – #johnfawcett choice of adding some scraggly fluffy chin hair also looks just randomly glued on. And the hairstyle – it is how we, girfriends twist our long hair when we’re warm and want to get it off our forehead. Suggestion: A low ponytail with unkempt bangs would have made more sense. With all the extreme makeup artists out there #faceoff, you could find one who would welcome the notoriety.
        Finally, Cosima is an amazingly cool character not unlike Pauly Perrette playing lab-rat Abby on NCIS
        #orphanblack #cloneclub #saveCosima

• LovinLife says:

Haha the hair was a mess. The soul patch looked fake and the eyebrows were too shapely. The hair looked liked Alison the morning she woke up in rehab. But it did take me a while to get used to Helena’s hair too. It looked a wig that wasn’t placed on her head properly but it grew on me because Helena was more than her hair, just like Tony I’m sure would become if he returns. I suspect he will be back. This show doesn’t really shy away from topics.

• 324B21 says:

To be fair, I think Helena’s hair is suppose to look like that. I mean the dark bits aren’t because the “wig” isn’t on right it’s because it’s a bad dye job. They are clones. They all come from the exact same genetic material which means they all have dark hair. So the two that don’t are obviously dying. Rachel has a lot of money and is very particular about her appearance so hers is very well done. Helena….not so much.

• Marie says:

Fair enough that having dark roots is part of Helena’s unkempt style vs Rachel but the roots are smoothed flat and then the wig’s blonde curly hair pops up as if it is on a headband or sewn in combs. Yes the roots work it’s the positioning of the wig on the head that is sometimes off and too way back.

• Rose says:

You’re right. Helena’s hair is suppose to be a die job with the roots showing. Unlike Rachel who I am sure gets her roots done on a regular basis Helena does not have the time or access to get it done on a schedule. They need to have swap off wigs to show the roots growing out to be real,.LOL

• Sara says:

Tatiana is Canadian, so I am curious as to how some British pronunciation creeped into her Tony voice.

• Ally Oop says:

I totally agree. I found Tony annoying and the character unnecessary and the whole time I couldn’t buy into the character. Hopefully he won’t be back.

8. Michael Benjamin says:

Reproduction would make Rachel fully human and an individual.

• Emily says:

I think she’s pregnant that’s why she’s so desperate to find Paul. It would explain her disdain at being told that fertility is a fault and not on purpose as that would mean she too is a clone gone wrong

9. Ashley says:

I couldn’t care less about Paul. Episodes are better when he is not in them. The whole point of having Tony was to give us a sentence about Paul. Just seemed wasteful. Hopefully Tony is more relevant to the situation.

I am curious now about the dynamic in the Dyad with Leekie dead. Who’s in charge of the science? Rachel is a businesswoman, not a scientist.

10. qj201 says:

Before the word police come for you…it’s “transgender” NOT “transgender-ed”

11. LovinLife says:

I have this feeling that Paul and Rachel have known each other for a while. Certain things she says makes me believe they had relationship before the audience was brought in. Also the 50 Shades scene didn’t seem too shocking to Paul. I think Paul and now this guy Sammy are part of group that is meant to protect the clones from the Neolutionist faction of the Dyad.

12. supertech14 says:

I was thinking the masked character was going to be Sarah in flashback, so when he took it off I kept saying “is that facial hair?”
    Really curious to see what’s going on with Paul and that cryptic message.
    I don’t know why but I still don’t trust Delphine.
    The whole scene with Alison and Donnie was cracking me up.
    I found the flashbacks (?) of Rachel jarring also, but I was thinking she was flashing back to when she found out she couldn’t get pregnant?? I was also thinking that if she could get pregnant, how much that would soften her. You kind of can’t blame her for the way she is given how she was raised.
    Kudos to the young actress that plays Kira-I think she does an excellent job and don’t even get me started on Jordan Gavaris-he just always kills it!

• Alichat says:

That wasn’t a flashback. That was a visualization of the emotions she was feeling during that conversation with Ethan that she was keeping bottled up.

13. Chicago Kate says:

i am afraid that they did jump the shark with this episode.

14. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Art and Felix working together is awesome……I did not expect a transgender clone that S*%t never crossed my mind until last night. Maslany is just killing it everytime! I swear I will be super pissed if Cosima is out she can’t die she’s the science trying to figure all the info. Overall the ep. is alright but I hope that new clone doesn”t stick around don’t like him.

15. Jackson says:

Ha! I love that Allison’s big worry when confronted with a dead body in a trunk is that the wrapping isn’t sufficient. Oh Alley…don’t ever change.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

LOL……That’s true! What Alison and Donnie needs to do is try to get rid of the gun OR well…..tell Sarah, Art and Felix what happened.

• Rose says:

OMG yes, she is so great, what a typical Alison reaction to the body in her trunk.
      “It’s not at all well wrapped” and ” I’m going to make a new liner” LOL

16. 324B21 says:

Cosima is a gamer! I didn’t think it possible I could love her character more! So help me she better not die. Part of me thinks there is no way they would kill her off but then I get worried that maybe the writers are looking for a big emotional moment. I could also see her death being the key to finally turning Delphine completely against Dyad especially after her promise to Cosima that she will love ALL of them.

17. Kate says:

This was the first time I didn’t buy into a new clone. Maybe if Tony’s hair hadn’t so closely resembled Sarah’s but I couldn’t get past that he just looked like Sarah with hair pasted on her chin. Glad the character isn’t hanging around – it all just felt too forced. Fe’s Holy Tilda Swinton line still has me howling however.

18. Troula says:

I’m starting to feel that I am the only one that got the Star Trek reference.
    “Do you need me to beem you up Scotty?” (Cosima to Scott)
    Come on… It should be mentioned somewhere.
    I loved it!

19. Nit Picker Jr says:

Holy Tilda Swinton! transClone? Maybe if they’d given it a short hairdo and filled out the eyebrows a bit (and, jeez, that … unfortunate scraggly, um, facial hair thingy) Tony’s appearance might not have been as jarring as it was – on the other hand I kind of managed to look past that and see Tony the character, at least glimpses of it, thanks to Tatiana’s acting. Which I guess was the real point of adding him/her? And Jordan did get some juicy scenes in for a change. From that perspective introducing a new, seemingly pointless, clone at this stage of the season was alright. So while Tatiana, and Jordan, (and she who plays Alison) can do no wrong – the makeup and wardrobe department can. Apparently.

Kira reads science? Okay…

Cosima had better not be dead! Someone please tell me Cosima isn’t dead/dying/dead, right this minute!! I will be so mad if she is.

Best scene? Alison, by the trunk, going “This is not at all well wrapped”. With Cosima’s helium voice a close second. Oh, and Sarah *bumping* in to Tony! Those cloneteraction moments are the best. Holy Tilda Swinton- this show. So good.

Now, where’s that remote? Need to fast-forward to next Saturday…

20. sonny says:

This episode was amazing!!

21. Cate53 says:

I love Orphan Black, but I wasn’t a fan of Tony the trans clone! One thing that always bothers me about the clones is their identical eyebrows and teeth! Let’s face it, Sarah should have had a few knocked out over the years! Ok, so false teeth might not work, but Tony’s girly eyebrows and the unconvincing hair and beard were a problem for me. Why long hair? Surely a short haircut would have been Tony’s choice? For that matter, how come all of them are the same weight? No chubby clones? Skinny clones? Ah well, guess it doesn’t do to think on it too hard.

If anything happens to Cosima I will be livid! They better not kill her or else! Je t’aime Cosima!!

• Rose says:

I do agree. I read her long hair was a problem when they did the costuming which is why they went with the mullet but if they can do a bald cap on someone why not short hair and beef up her eyebrows. Tony was Antoinette originally so he will have some female characteristics even with the T shots; However, If they bring him back he needs some work and fine tuning including the speech is too close to Sarah, when he says “YA” that is a Sarah thing. The existing characters have perfect chemisty and they do not need to complicate the storyline right now. I think ( and hope) they do not kill off Cosima. She was the perfect tool for Dyad to get their hands on Kira which we know was going to happen eventually. Kira’s miracle recovery after being hit by a car may not be on the forefront right now but they did not put that in there without a reason.

22. Dr. Fart says:

They’ve ruined what was almost a great show with homosexual gay rights crap.

23. Rich Abey says:

Quote of the season: Cosima in a helium-affected-funny/squeaky-voice: “Helium is…funnier than Polonium!”. That really kicked me up given the irony of the statement as Polonium is radioactive & kills if exposed.
    I really don’t dig Tony but he is still a welcome albeit mind-blowing addition & I am for anything that gives us more awesome Felix scenes (nobody can top Felix- Allison though!). The writers are really going all out this season.

24. Rose says:

I had to watch this episode more than once to get a real grip on Tony’s character. In the beginning of the opening scene at first I though it was Sarah in some sort of flashback until he took off the bandana. I think his speech is too similar to Sarah’s. When he says “ya” I can hear Sarah in there. Perhaps that was on purpose for the Felix attraction? However, I agree with those who feel we did not need a new clone right now. The existing ones have the perfect chemistry going to play out this season. I love seeing Helena’s character explored more. I think Cal also is a great addition to the show and hope he continues to be a part of the storyline. Eugene’s relationship with the now grown up clones and his interest in Kira and the book has me intrigued more than Paul’s disappearance right now.
    That said. I look forward to this show all week long. It is so different and one of the best shows on Television in a very long time. The transclone creation shows how out of the box the creators think and could make for an interesting storyline down the road

25. Tee says:

Haha, that wasn’t Tatiana Maslany playing Tony…it was Apolo Anton Ohno!

26. jenna says:

i can’t be the only one who was really grossed out at the idea of tony and felix… just can’t get past the semi-incest

27. Me says:

I thought this was the worst episode. They have two main gay characters. Now a trans. I guess we will need to have a male to female soon. Every show had gay characters & now every show will soon have trans. How many people are trans out there? And how many of those that are have some other major issues, like regretting the change, uncertainty of their sexual preference, etc. Will we have a transvestite next? Stop trying to make it like all of this is normal by shoving it in our faces.

28. lynx2231 says:

I love the show. But they overdid it with Tony. Why did he have long hair??? They could have veeeery easily at least given him short man hair. I found that ridiculous, it killed it for me. Episode isn’t over, still watching it, let’s see how I feel once its over. Ugh so dumb, every time I see tony it annoys me more and more!

29. Lainiejay says:

I also didn’t care much for Tony & was also put off by his long hair. To me it just screamed laziness on the part of the people in the show who create the looks of the various clones. Did they really think just giving him a beard was enough. I think the “real” Tony would have gone for super-short hair when transitioning. And don’t get me started about the Tony/Felix kiss. I gather the people connected to the show thought it was great fun, but this fan could say nothing but “Eewwww!” Please don’t go there again.