Emmys

Emmys 2014: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series -- Our 6 Dream Nominees!

Andre Braugher, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
It's saying something that Braugher scored many of the biggest laughs during Season 1 of Fox's acclaimed comedy without ever uttering a word. Indeed, the six-time Emmy nominee's rule-loving, openly gay Capt. Ray Holt often reprimanded/instructed his misfit band of detectives (to hilarious effect) with a raised eyebrow, a deadpan stare or a withering silence. The way Braugher maintained his air of icy authority while also hinting at Holt's deep affection for his squad makes him a worthy contender in the Supporting Actor race.

Don’t get us wrong: We noticed Modern Family‘s creative resurgence in Season 5. But unlike Emmy voters, the enduring shine from ABC’s comedy jewel hasn’t blinded us to other worthy comedic performances over the last five years.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Actor in a Comedy Series | Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Think about it: Of the 24 Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy nominations doled out by Emmy in the last four years, 14 have gone to Modern Family cast members.

So please forgive us for snubbing Ty Burrell, Ed O’Neill, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Eric Stontestreet as we came up with our Dream Emmy Nominee picks in the category.

RELATED | TCA Awards 2014: True Detective Snags Four Nominations; Good Wife, Breaking Bad Land Three Each

Even with those fine fellas taken out of the running, we still struggled to narrow our list of honorees to a lean, mean half-dozen. But after much debate, narrow it down we did!

So, click through our gallery (via the blue button underneath the accompanying Brooklyn Nine-Nine photo or CLICK THIS LINK to see if your dream nominees match up with ours, and then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, which ones we got wrong and what shows you think we snubbed egregiously.

And then check back Friday as we reveal our dream picks for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.

1. torimelching says:

I hope Andre gets a nomination. I would also like one for Nick Offerman. He is long overdue.

2. TVFan says:

I think it is long overdue that Simon Helberg gets some recognition.

3. Agustín says:

Modern Family is SO overrated.

• Aprilcot says:

Thank you. I’ve just never gotten the appeal the few times I’ve tried to watch.

• Rich Abey says:

Think you & I are watching different shows. I’d rather say Big Bang Theory is overrated which for a comedy show delieverd very few laughs the entire season. Character development on comedies is overrated!

4. Aprilcot says:

For the millionth time…these new galleries are AWFUL. If you have to explain how to find the gallery in the article for the gallery (!) you have a serious design flaw. I didn’t realize the list had come to an end, was pushed into a gallery about Rookie Blue, and then couldn’t get back to the original article. I love this site too much to go elsewhere, but I know I’m not the only one who feels this way, why are we not being heard?

I don’t know why we bother with this category, it’s just going to be filled with the cast of Modern Family whether they deserve it or not. The Emmys are so infuriating. Anyway, here are my picks:
    Andre Braugher – so awesome on B99
    Danny Pudi – long overdue
    Chris Pratt – long overdue
    Nick Offerman – long overdue
    NPH – even though this was a terrible season, the fact that he’s never won is a travesty
    Tony Hale – kills it every week

• Ari says:

I have to agree about the new galleries. They never load correctly for me!

• Denise says:

I agree. It should be easier. My consumer habits are to read the article, go view gallery and then read comments. It would be nice if the gallery kept you on the page instead of sending you elsewhere.

• Jen says:

Agreed about the galleries. I too am not going to leave the site, but I do not like the new gallery setup. They’ve gone from just saying in the article to “click here” to shouting it “CLICK HERE,” so obviously there are issues with finding it. The links within are also the same color as the text, so it just appears bold rather than a link. I hate to be a complainer, but want to provide some constructive feedback!

• John NYC says:

The lack of a simple way (one that’s obvious to me anyway) to return to the actual article is a major flaw, IMHO. Having to apparently navigate BACK to the homepage and relocate the main article is awkward at best.

5. EJ386 says:

My vote goes absolutely to Noel Fisher, he is so amazing!

6. Cassandra says:

I’d love to see Troy Gentile who plays Barry on The Goldbergs get a nomination. He can crack me up with just his signature run.

7. Zed says:

Completely agree on Albert Tsai, but for TCO, I think Hamish Linklater deserves it over Wolk.

• Aprilcot says:

I forgot all about Hamish Linklater…I’d put him on my list too!

• wenraz says:

I totally agree with you on both counts.

• murley says:

I love Hamish Linklater but I have to go with their James Wolk choice. He was last on my list of people I expected to find hilarious but he owned that role. Also would love to see Andre Baugher, Chris Pratt, Tony Hale, Nick Offerman and either Barry from the Goldbergs or Bart from Trophy Wife.

8. Ron says:

My 6 dream nominees:
    – Jim Rash (Community)
    – Nick Offerman (Parks & Rec)
    – Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family)
    – Charlie Day (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
    – Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    – Tony Hale (Veep)

The 6 I think will get nominated:
    – Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    – Ty Burrell (Modern Family)
    – Tony Hale (Veep)
    – Ed O’Neill (Modern Family)
    – Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family)
    – Adam Driver (Girls)

• Angela says:

Jim Rash. Good call. I loved him on “Community”, too. If he or Danny Pudi (or both!) got nominations, and one of them won, I’d be very happy about that.

9. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

My 6 dream nominees
    Andre Braugher – Brooklyn 9-9
    Ben Schwartz – House of Lies
    Dule Hill – Psych
    Hamish Linklater – The Crazy Ones
    Stephen Mangan – Episodes ( if he’s considered supporting)
    Anyone from The League

10. dru says:

Andre Braugher FTW!

11. dru says:

what about Reid Scott? he’s having a great season on Veep

12. jasonboegh says:

You are ridiculous for bypassing the brilliant “Modern Family” cast. Jesse Tyler Ferguson arguably had his best season to date. All 4 are deserving but I would single out Ferguson and O’Neil if I had to narrow it down… Also, get your facts straight. Last season of “Modern Family” was season 5 not 4.
    Regarding your choices, Braugher is brilliant and will be nominated.

13. Ally Oop says:

I’m glad to see Modern Family get snubbed in this. I’ve never been able to understand the shows wide appeal. Albert Tsai, while a cute kid that plays a cute character, isn’t good enough to be Emmy-worthy. I would have liked to see one of the Goldberg actors on here, especially Troy Gentile.

14. Lisa says:

It’s a shame Noel Fisher performance will likely be overlooked due to how serious it was because anyone that’s been watching Shameless from the beginning should know without a doubt that he deserves not only the nomination but also the win. It was completely mesmerizing to watch him mature over the years and come to terms with his own identity this season. I pray that he gets noticed in such a crowded field because he really truly deserves it.
    That being said, James Wolk, Nick Offerman, Danny Pudi, NPH, and Eric Stonestreet are all deserving of recognition as well.

• Joey says:

The thing is, though that Mickey’s arc with his little business start-up with Kevin and Svetlana was good for some pretty good laughs.

15. Kate says:

It’s a shame to see this site jump on the Modern Family backlash train. Ty Burrell deserves to be nominated because he continues to deliver a clever, hilarious, and layered performance as Phil Dunphey. It has received all of those nominations because it is THAT good. It is fresh and funny. Although it may have a few stale moments, nothing to warrant a backlash simply because it has been the best for comedy on television for the past 4 years. Sure, add some new ( and deserving) shows into the mix, but don’t for one second dismiss Modern Family as undeserving.

16. Joel says:

Love your picks Tvline. It’s so sad that three of your six are on canceled shows. The TV landscape is so ridiculous to not be able to let some of these young comedies find their audience and footing.

The Modern Family men have gotten their undeserving hardware and nominations. Time to move over for fresh blood.

17. Brigid says:

Glad to see Andre Braugher nominated and would love to see Max Greenfield from The New Girl and Nick Offerman from Parks and Rec get a nomination. I’m glad I don’t see anyone from The Big Bang Theory, as I just don’t think it’s funny and completely over rated. Not a surprise as I find all of Chuck Lorre’s comedies horribly written by 13 year old hormonal boys.

18. jss0058 says:

I very much enjoyed Silicon Valley this year, but PLEASE no TJ Miller here! There are SO many better choices to be made. While we are at it, I hope Emmy voters don’t waste another nomination for Adam Driver on GIRLS. I didn’t understand it last year at all.

Also Tsai was indeed funny on Trophy Wife, but I’m not sure I would give him an Emmy nomination for it when there are people who gave better “acting” performances.

A few people I think are worth of consideration:
    -Both Reid Scott & Tony Hale from VEEP
    -Joe Truglio from Brooklyn Nine Nine (who I would give a nomination to over Braugher)
    -Nick Offerman (its so criminal he has never gotten in)

19. Rich Abey says:

Yes while I might have grown tired a bit of Eric Stontestreet’ antics on Modern Family, the same cannot be said of the awesome trio ofTy Burell, Ed O’Neill & Jesse Tyler Ferguson. The latter two were spot on in potraying the misunderstood father-son dilemma as Mitch & Cam’s wedding grew nearer and they were wonderful in the season finale amidst all the chaos/crisis befalling the wedding with that final scene of Jay walking Mitch down the grassy aisle bringing young me to tears! Still only two from Modern Family make my list:
    – Ty Burell: The man to beat this year. His comedic timing/acting/physicality has never been better. Best in the comedy business? While some might say it’s Jim Parsons, his character on BBT requires outstanding acting not comedic chops.
    – Andre Braugher: In my mind perhaps the only man capable of beating Ty to the Emmy. He was exemplary on Brooklyn 99 where it took only a ‘dramatically delivered’ single line to send you into a laughing fit.
    – Nick Offerman (Parks & Rec)
    – Danny Pudi: Awesome/crazy as always on Community.
    – Simon Helberg
    – Jesse Tyler Ferguson

20. S. says:

Nothing for Adam Pally or Ike Barinholtz? C’mon guys.

21. Parker says:

Am I the only one who disagrees with the whole list?

22. HAP says:

Thanks for recognizing TJ Miller. It is clear that he has gradually taken over the show. And, he’s damned funny. However, I’m guessing that Silicon Valley is unknown to many and his actual chances for a nomination are slim and none.

23. Joey says:

You included Noel Fisher. I can now die happy.

24. Apples says:

Braugher, God yes. Wolk, God no he was woeful

25. zac says:

My 6 (and added a 7th) dream picks
    – Andre Braugher (B99)
    -James Wolk (The Crazy Ones)
    -Neil Patrick Harris (HIMYM)
    -Noel Fischer (Shameless)
    -Chris Pratt (Parks and Rec)
    -Taran Killam (Saturday Night Live)
    -Chord Overstreet (Glee)

26. Britta Unfiltered says:

I do want to see Danny Pudi win this year. I also would like to see Timothy Simons from Veep nominated, Fred Armisen for Portlandia, Jim Rash for Community, Reid Scott for Veep, and Jesse Tyler Ferguson for Modern Family. I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for Cam. And I’m sure Jesse Tyler Ferguson is the only one who gets nominated there. You know all four Modern Family guys will get nominated, including Eric Stonestreet, and then Tony Hale and I’m guessing Andre Braugher.

27. Tran says:

Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine Nine), Ed O’Neill and Ty Burrell (Modern Family), Taran Killam (Saturday Night Live), Adam Driver (Girls) and Tony Hale (Veep).