Showtime's Penny Dreadful Renewed for (Bigger!) Season 2

Episode 104

Showtime’s Penny Dreadful still has plenty of scares left in it, and, as such, has been renewed for an expanded Season 2.

The spooky thriller’s sophomore cycle will run 10 episodes, up two from the show’s freshman run.

RELATED | Showtime’s Homeland Recruits Corey Stoll, Laila Robins for Season 4

“Picking up Penny Dreadful was one of the easiest decisions I’ve made,” Showtime president David Nevins said in a statement. “[Series creator] John Logan has deftly created an epic series that has drawn raves from a wide-range of audiences from quality drama lovers to critics, to hardcore genre fans.”

RELATED | Performer of the Week Runner-Up: Penny Dreadful‘s Eva Green

Episode 5 — in which viewers will learn of the shocking bond that connects Sir Malcolm (played by Timothy Dalton), Vanessa (Eva Green) and Mina (Olivia Llewellyn) — airs this Sunday at 10/9c, prefaced by a catch-up marathon airing Saturday from 6 to 10 pm EST.

Follow @RebeccaIannucci

1. tina says:

yaaaaas, omg
    my fav new show

2. Christian hirko says:

Fantastic news. This show is epic and really has hit the mark running. So glad for all the actors, hope Billie Piper will be a part of season 2.

• Jonathan81 says:

SPOILERS
      I’m actually wondering if her character would become the creature’s wife. with her illness getting the best of her, i’m wondering if she will be used to create the wife and in a sense ‘cure’ her of her illness.

• wordsmith says:

They certainly seem to be hinting at the story heading in that direction. Then again, there are so many things going on in this show that I’m convinced are just the writers messing with us, so it’s impossible to say for sure.

• ivy says:

that what i thought when i watch episode 4
        the monster defo wants a wife

• Marc says:

I thought the same thing when I saw them showing up at the same theatre where creature works, even though I figured that they would have him catching a glimpse of her in the audience and becoming enthralled or something.

• Polly says:

i hope they kill off her “irish” accent. it’s just horrifying.

• Scott Johnston says:

Her accent may be difficult to understand at times but that doesn’t make it wrong. According to sources in the UK its exactly right given the character’s background.

• Katie_Mead says:

I’ve heard far worse attempts at a Belfast accent (I lived there for a few years, and can’t do as well as BP’s slightly broad version).

3. Diane says:

Hurray! A fantastic show!

4. SAM says:

I THINK THIS IS VERY SPECIAL AND GREAT TV SERIES AFTER SUPERNATURAL AND EVEN BETTER THAN IT
    JUST MAKING NEW SEASON WITHOUT ANY STOPS
    IM WAITING FOR THIS

5. Love the quality of actors in this show. Makes it much more entertaining for me.

6. Et al. says:

Yay! Was worried with the low-ish ratings.

7. sihn says:

Wonderful news! This year I has really been quite good, in terms of renewals for the shows I watch – It’s going to be a great TV season next year

8. Linda says:

This show has it all, Dorian Grey, the original vampire Nosferatu, plus Mina and the just introduced Lucy (how will she play out?), a homosexual relationship between main characters, Frankenstein’s monster with a twist, zombies (hate those, not scary), and devil worship. Who could have thought they’d all come in one package. Glad it was renewed and am happy to watch this one, as all the other horror genre shows have ended. I just hope the ‘monsters’ don’t become too animated as that’s just not scary. Keep it classic and creepy. I believe Vanessa is also Sir Malcom’s daughter. I’m thinking that the Irish prostate whose name I can’t quite catch, will become a victim of the vampire.. the blood she’s spewing should attract him to her.

• Linda says:

stupid ‘auto correct’ – that’s prostitute NOT prostate (a whole other issue) LOL

• God says:

Brona Croft is the name of the “prostate”

• J.B. says:

I totally agree with you. I’m so glad I started to watch it.
      SPOILER WARNING
      I’m still mourning Proteus. When a show has you missing a minor character that you thought would be a regular there’s something special there.

• Linda says:

I feel exactly the same.. it was really sad, he was so innocent and lovely

• Marc says:

The minute that he was introduced I was already dreaming up storylines for him and Brona Croft. I was shocked when The Creature literally split him in two and hated him for it. Well, until the last episode when he had such a delighted smile on his face while working the props in the theatre. I haven’t forgiven him for ‘murdering’ Proteus, but I don’t hate him as much anymore.

9. christine says:

Best news in ages. I love this show!

10. ivy says:

fantastic show
    the whole cast is perfect
    what are the ratings like? high or low? i haven’t seen any news on that.

• Aimee says:

Variety is reporting that it averages 4.8 million viewing per week. That is pretty solid for paid cable and most important of all it is the youngest skewing demo the network has seen in a while. Everybody loves those 18-49 viewers. Showtime is very happy with it.

11. Tracywilds says:

I’ve found this show to be quite boring. I watched ep1, ep2 and turned it off 20 min into ep3. Super slow n more sitting down n talking than anything. Also Eva green has always turned me off.

• G.I. says:

I agree!

• twobells says:

Lol, you are complaining about the cast ‘sitting down and talking’? Penny Dreadful has some of THE best dialogue on tv, the script writer and cast are geniuses! Also, you really missed out, 25 minutes into episode 3 lead into one if the creepiest scenes I’ve ever seen on tv, it was set in a zoo at night, swirling mist, werewolves and vampires, with an incredible score and atmospherics!

• Brigid says:

I have to disagree. This show has me on the edge of my seat every week. I don’t know what is coming and it’s quite spooky. The writing and acting is top notch. In my opinion, a boring show is anything shown on CBS:)

12. angely says:

ok its good thanks

13. dessy111 says:

This show is fantastic
    Between this and Masters of Sex, I’m very impressed with Showtime right now

14. Gaara says:

Yes!! This show has so much quality in everything

15. Fido says:

I gave up after seeing the oh so lackluster Frankenstein monster. Maybe with its gift of a big chunk of eps I’ll give it another shot :)

16. betty says:

Loving this news. Penny has become one of my favorites.

17. Beth says:

That’s kind of a weird claim. Penny Dreadful is never in the top 100 shows for the week.

18. Jennifer ignacio says:

Woohoo can’t wait for season 2….this show is brilliant!!

19. twobells says: