Beauty and the Beast Recap: Arrested Development

“Beast Is The New Black”

The CW’s Beauty and the Beast resumed Season 2 on Monday right where we left off, with Vincent being led away in handcuffs, arrested for Kurt Windsor’s (gruesome, but not Game of Thrones-gruesome) murder. But there’s no keeping a good cross-species man down…

With Vincent thrown behind bars, into presumably hostile environs, Priority No. 1 is tracking down the gem that can keep him from beasting out. Easier said than done! For one, Cat has a Dickens of a time getting access to her beau, having (oops) dropped her badge in the snow and then (hubba-hubba) showing up at a precinct in her PJs.

But with an assist from Gabe (and some borrowed blues), Cat gets inside and covertly elicits from Vincent his hiding place for the gem. She and Tess then head out to retrieve the gem (from inside one of Vincent’s brothers’ headstones), but not before JT blurts out — in front of Cat and Gabe — that he and Tess had sex. (His reveal came in the midst of grumbling about Tess dropping him off far from the station, lest people see them together, though he’s clearly missing her signals that she kinda likes the geeky lunk.)

After fetching the gem, Cat frets that Vincent could get hit with a life sentence if/when found guilty, but Tess does her best to see the bright side, echoing many a Beastie by saying, “You’re not some fragile, newbie couple. You’re epic!” That’s been made into a meme by now, yes?

Cat and Gabe realize how damning the evidence is against Vincent — namely, the “discovery” of Kurt Windsor’s heart in Vincent’s fridge. Who’s setting Vincent up? Some eyes, including JT’s, are on Gabe, but Mr. DA swears he’s not playing dirty in the game of love. (As he puts it, “For the record, I have not been holding onto organs in case you and Vincent got back together.”)

As Cat confronts another suspect — her father (who cops to nothing but won’t shed a tear if Vincent is locked up for a long time) — Vincent picks a fight with a jailbird, necessitating his transport by ambulance to the hospital. During the ride, Vincent sheds the gem and beasts out to escape. He later resurfaces on Cat’s rooftop, announcing, “I’ve come to say goodbye.” For while he is willing to make a sacrifice for Cat, he won’t let her do same by testifying in his defense. His one parting request: “One last night where we can love each other as much as we do right now.” Well, sure!

That leads to a “shower scene” which did zero justice to the words “shower scene,” as the couple (briefly) hid out in Cat’s bathroom, ultimately necking — while 100 percent clothed — under the drizzling showerhead. Regardless, the awkward embrace is interrupted by Gabe, who has uncovered a money trail implicating Reynolds in the frame-up. When that lead turns into a literally dead end, it shocked even Reynolds, who urges Gabe to protect Cat, seeing as they’re apparently dealing with a powerful, unknown entity.

Vincent decides to go on the run, and while he and Cat briefly mull her coming with, they decide it’s best she stay behind — after all, like Snow and Charming, “I will always find you!” Or words to that effect. He slips away just before the cops come, setting the stage for an emotional hug between Cat and JT, as they commiserate over their loss.

But later that night, as Gabe lets slip a smile at seeing Vincent a “wanted” fugitive and Vincent looks out over the skyline, a crying Cat is sneaked up on at her apartment, a black bag thrown over her head….

What did you think of B&TB‘s summer premiere?

1. Caro says:

Just love it. Thanks for the recap

2. Jared says:

Loved tonight’s episode. It was exactly what us fans love about the show. Cant wait for the rest of the season.

3. Samson says:

Thanks for the recap Matt and TVLine! BATB is back and stronger than ever! The whole time I was on the edge of my seat. There was so much going on you forget to take a breath. I’ve never seen a couple have such sizzling chemistry as KK/Jay have to VINCAT. They are passionate, funny, and loving. My fave moments were the VINCAT glass phone scene where you can see their reflections and them stating their love, the handcuff scene, and of course the shower scene! Kristin Kreuk was absolutely amazing as Cat! Can’t wait to see next week’s episode!

4. Bwhit says:

I thought the bathroom scene was cute but that is because I’m a sap, it reminded me of when they used to hide in the loft in season 1. Loved that it’s back and Cat and Vincent are doing what they do best, fighting for each other :).

5. Wilma says:

TY for the review, I disagree though- with regard to the shower scene, it was beautiful, and they had fun, just a pity that this clip was a spoiler clip before the episode, it was one of the most beautiful scenes of the episode.

6. hi says:

While I’m a MAJOR “Beastie” the push & pull is kinda giving me whiplash now. “I’m gonna go to jail for you” “no, I’m gonna testify for you” “no I’m gonna break out and run away for you” “no I’m gonna find a way to clear you” “no they found you lets run together” “no you can’t throw your life away” “ok fine you can come” “no I can’t come now I’ll just slow you down”

I get that they need to create suspense but this back/forth can only hold ppl foe so long. Its like the opposite “Moonlighting curse” and I’m sure its a major reason the ratings declined SO much!

• Alichat says:

Yeah…I have to agree with you….it’s becoming tired. If I had to hear the two of them argue one more time about who’s decision it was to do whatever they’d decided to do, I was going to bang my head on a wall. And Gabe…..oh lord….I’m officially tired of Gabe and his revolving morality.

• Aranda says:

I love their banter. Just love these 2 together. next ep looks really action packed and it looks like Cat kicks ass

• Ina says:

I get you but let’s not forget the circumstances changed too so they were “forced” to do something else than planned first. And at the end Cat was planning to go on the run with Vincent but when the helicopter came and the Police she was right. She would’ve slowed him down. We know how fast he can get away. So that’s explainable to me. I loved the ep. It had everything, a lot happened. I can’t wait for the next ep.

• helixro14 says:

I agree. You assessed it so much better than I would have. I would have said it’s like it’s been written by teenagers.

• Alichat says:

I forgot to mention….it also annoys me that Cat refers to the jailbird bio father as ‘Dad.’ Uh…hello…what about the man that raised her? I just don’t buy that anyone with a lick of feeling would be referring to him as ‘Dad’ after knowing of his existence for less than a year, finding out he’s a corrupt FBI agent now in jail, who brainwashed your boyfriend, turning him into an assassin, and on and on and on……. Bleh…..stop having her call him Dad.

• Maggie says:

correction, ratings have increased I note with joy.

7. Wilma says:

Oh, one more thing- this episode was absolutely AWESOME, not necessarily so portrayed in your review, but we I guess we all have different opinions.

8. Carrie says:

Loved episode! So fun. So funny. So entertaining. There is nothing like it on tv. Everything is so dark and twisted. This is just warm and romantic. Thank god it is back. I for one need it,

9. Artarita says:

Awesome show, please keep it going, and I believe
    I speak for all the Beasties in saying no more long
    hiatus!

10. Carla Krae says:

Loved the shower scene, and they were about to get busy when Vincent heard someone at the door (Gabe). Cat had been starting to lift his shirt, so at least character intent wasn’t innocent, hee. SOOO glad the show is back – and on my birthday! Best present I got yesterday.

11. Kathleen M Smith says:

I loved the episode and thought that the shower scene was romantic and sweet. Thanks Matt and tvline for the recap, this is the first one that I have read and I enjoyed your views, even if I did not agree with your take on the shower scene. Please continue to review BATB with honesty and humor, I look forward to reading more.

12. Kristen says:

Loved the recap. So glad this show is back, my favorite guilty pleasure so happy you recapped. Hope to see more from you guys You are my go to for tv scoop!!!

13. SuzieQ says:

I appreciate your recap Matt and agree. The shower scene could of been “more”…..it was sweet but “shower and fully clothed” was a head scratcher! Looking forward to more interviews and recaps from you. Thanks

14. Dee Dee says:

Great episode. Totally blew me away – very interesting. It was filled with excitement. Loved it and looking forward to next week’s episode “Cat and Mouse”.

15. Awesome episode. Loved everything about it. It was exciting and totally blew me away. Can’t wait to find out what happens next week in “Cat and Mouse”.

16. Thanks for your review. love your support for #BATB. have to agree with you on the shower scene. Think many were hoping for something more….

• Diana DeFeo says:

You’re right, there’s nothing that can keep a good cross-species man down. I don’t think it would have been a good idea for a naked shower scene since there are police hunting Vincent and as it was, they were interrupted by Gabe. I’m sure we’ll be seeing some steamy scenes in upcoming episodes, so just hang in there. Vincat are just too too sexy together. This was a great episode and it totally had my attention. I loved it and can’t wait for next week’s “Cat and Mouse”.

17. Maggie says:

It was an exciting and thrilling comeback for me and even more thrilled for the next one. All cast played their part so well, JT really took a stand, VinCat so connected as always, and even Gabe played his part very well. Last but not least Tess is just preparing for her shining moment. Well done cast as well as our dedicated crew.

18. Aranda says:

Loving this show more and more

19. ruthjc1962 says:

Thank you for taking the time to review and sharing your thoughts! Excited to see where we go next, think the pace has picked up, so much going on really enjoyed this episode!

20. carogdlf says:

Thanks for your review. Just Love it. I think it was a great way to comeback for a long hiatus. All The cast did an amazing Job.

21. susan says:

OMG!!! SOOO LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!! I LOVE THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN KAT AND VINCENT…SO MUCH LOVE…I AM SO ADDICTED…BEST SHOW EVER!!!!

22. This is the Beauty and the Beast that I have missed so much!! Cat and Vincent are back! Loving and saving each other, this episode was so worth the wait..

23. katja says:

How can Serban fans could see the rest of Beauty and the beast???? Plase help… i really need to see first episode of 3th season…

24. katja says:

or…. someone can tell me what happend in new episode :)