Reign Promotes Jonathan Keltz to Series Regular for Season 2

Reign Season 2

Taking a cue from his social-climbing character, Reign‘s Jonathan Keltz has been upped to series regular for The CW drama’s second season.

RELATED | Reign Season Finale Recap: Born To Die

Keltz plays Leith, who first appeared as a simple baker, but eventually earned land and a title through several heroic deeds. He’s been less successful in love, however, having been scorned by Greer in spite of his considerable social advancement.

Keltz’s promotion was first reported by our sister site Deadline.

Reign fans, are you hoping Keltz’s promotion will pave the way for a Greer-Leith reunion? Drop a comment with your thoughts on their relationship below.

1. tp says:

More Leith is a good thing.

2. wordsmith says:

There’s clearly a lot of juicy drama to be mined from the Greer/Leith/Castleroy/Castleroy’s daughter quadrangle that they set up in the finale, so this seems like a good move.
    Personally, I find it hard to root against Lord Castleroy, despite the maybe-true-love thing that Greer and Leith seem to have going. Castleroy is just so unrelentingly kind and wonderful.

• TrickyGreyArea says:

I agree on all counts. I like Leith and he’s fine with Greer, but I really hope they don’t assassinate Castleroy’s character (literally or figuratively) to prop up Greer and Leith.

• tp says:

I think LM said on Twitter that Castleroy may not be what he seems or something like that.

• Wild child says:

#TeamCastleroy, I’m not here for Leith and I suspect the writers really want us to root for he and Greer and will unfortunately so some serious Castleroy character assassination in order to get us to the dark side. I bet they never expected the older, less classically handsome Castleroy to be quite so popular.

3. S says:

YAY! This is very good news! I love Leith! Here’s to more Francis/Leith bromance and Leith/Greer romance! :)

4. Samrenee2010 says:

PRAISE THE LAWD!!!

5. Allison P says:

And there were many episodes where I thought we had seen the last of him. Very happy to see he’ll be sticking around!

6. lindsay says:

Slowly but surely, most of the characters on the show have become pretty dislikable, IMO. But Leith, Greer, and Castleroy have always each been so sweet and kind-hearted on their own. The first thing that made me dislike Leith, though, was his bitter reaction to Greer in the finale, so I hope that isn’t a sign of things to come for his character. At this point, I’m kinda rooting more for Castleroy. But still glad to see Jonathan added to series regular. Definitely well-deserved.

• Lauren says:

I totally agree. They really turned me off Leith with his reaction to Greer’s rejection in the finale. I hope he goes back to being awesome.

• Ella says:

Haha, let’s be fair, how did you expect him to react? Had Greer said that she loved him but couldn’t go back on her word would be one thing. Instead, she said that his title and land would still never be enough to keep her AND her sisters comfortable. I understand looking out for your family but there were better ways to word it. She made him feel completely worthless, I don’t blame him for reacting the way he did.

7. James says:

Nostradamus foretold their relationship, but as Reign is a soap it’s likely that their romance will struggle to some unfortunate end. As a very adapted historical show how are the producers ultimately going to depict the unhappy ending for Mary, that is the real question.

8. Tracy says:

I’m happy we will be seeing more of leith. t least francis will now have a friend. i love freith

9. Becky says:

Yes! :D

10. Elyse says:

Awesome news! Leith is one of my favorites :)

11. ejdax37 says:

I think I am one of the only ones that doesn’t like this character, but I just look at it from a real life perspective, at that time in history no one married for love especially if you were of nobility or rich. And with how sweet and caring Greer is does Leith really expect her to just abandon her sisters to what ever terrible fate her father would arrange for her? I mean she stated it plainly she and her sister’s are her Father’s property and he would marry off the younger ones to the first person to offer him the right connections or money in a heart beat. I know that this show has nothing related to real life events (I thinks it funny that IRL all of Mary’s Ladies that went with her to France where also named Mary! How confusing conversations must have been there where only like 5 names that everyone used, lol.) I hope that they don;t make Castleroy out to be some kind of villain or have Greer break his heart he is so sweet.

12. Emy says:

huuu i’m happy! Leith is so cute!

13. Ella says:

Yay!!! I love Leith and his relationship with Greer, not to mention Francis! I like Lord Castleroy but there’s no comparison. Leith all the way!