It's Official: Chelsea Lately to End E! Run in August, But Where Will Chelsea Handler End Up?

Chelsea Lately Cancelled

Chelsea Handler‘s rocky E! reign will officially come to an end later this summer.

The cabler announced Wednesday that Handler’s late-night talk show Chelsea Lately will wrap its seven-year run with an hour-long series finale on Tuesday, August 26.

Handler had made no secret of her intention to exit E! at the end of her current contract, so the news comes as little surprise. It remains unclear where she will set up shop next, although Netflix was floated as one possibility. Another big question: Who will fill E!’s new late-night void.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Coming Back?

“We are very proud of Chelsea Lately’s long-running success and the unique space that the series carved out in late night television,” said Suzanne Kolb, President, E!, in a statement. “Chelsea brought a distinct voice to late night with her acerbic wit and fearless commentary and we look forward to providing fans with a memorable send-off that lives up to that tradition. Most of all, we are grateful to the ‘Chelsea Lately’ team for making this show so special for seven years.”

Added Handler: “I myself am more surprised than anyone that I was able to hold down a job for seven years, and it was a fantastic seven years. I will always look back at my time on E! as most people look back at their time in college. I’m glad I went.​”

1. K says:

I love Chelsea Lately! :( I don’t want to see it go. Get Whitney Cummings to replace her E!

• M3rc Nate says:

Problem is Whitney had her talk show on E! (after Chelsea) called “Love You Mean It With Whitney Cummings”…and it was cancelled. Personally i really enjoyed it, especially when she finally learned how to stop yelling in her really loud voice, but it was cancelled so why would they take another shot on her to have a talk show just 30 minutes earlier in Chelsea’s spot?

Though i would watch, and probably like it more than Chelsea Lately (all she does it not try, joke about abortion, taking drugs/pills, sleeping with randoms and blacks and play into stereotypes bordering on racism about blacks/asians/redheads etc). And the idea of “Cummings Lately” is a hilarious show name lol.

• I used to like Chelsea Lately a lot but got tired of the same jokes about drugs and alcohol use…

• M3rc Nate says:

Exactly, every night its “pills/abortion/big black ____/ tiny asian _____/ make fun of panelists race/ sex with stranger / never get married / never have kids/ i hate this job” the same thing every episode.

2. Nate says:

First Evan Rachel Wood separates now this! !!! What has the world come to. On the (somewhat) upside i start my first job today

3. Kathy Ann Holbrook says:

Oh no, please keep Fortune, Lonnie, Josh, and all the other great comics on some type of late night show….they could take turns hosting as they have all done in the past. Love Chelsea but if she wants to leave, please don’t take all the others away.

• DavidSask says:

Lonnie will be on her new daytime show, Fortune is doing great with her stand up and may be in NBC show if picked up so not all are left hanging! I also don’t think a new round table with comedians will be good idea as it was Chelsea’s thing!

4. Lori says:

dang, the only show I watch on that channel.I guess it’s officially the kardashian channel now.

5. Becki says:

Thank God her show has come to an end!!!

6. Thilia says:

For the love of all that is holy, please have Heather MacDonald replace her.

• rebecca says:

I’d like to see Ross Matthews… I know he has his own show, but I love when he guest-hosts the show

7. Doris says:

Chelsea Who! Don’t watch her.

8. Brendan says:

The show can exist without her in some other form… they have had guest hosts and the same panel members. Why not expand After Lately and make in a mix of both the comedy show and the talk show. The name would still work even if it’s a little bittersweet at first.

• M3rc Nate says:

I say just replace her straight up, keep the employees, keep the set, everything, change the name to After _____ (fill in the blank with the new Hosts last name) and there you go. Im not saying you can replace her with anyone and keep the audience per-say, but id say in-house my best replacement would be Sarah Colonna, id say the BEST would be Whitney Cummings but she got her shot with a E! talk show and it got cancelled so im not sure the odds they give her another shot.

9. Linda Temple says:

How about late, late night network TV? NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX. Any vacancies?

10. John Moshier says:

the ross Mathews sgow

11. Buck says:

Hell probably

12. So long and thanks for all the fish.

13. Drunk Tank, obviously….

14. nancy says:

She hasn’t been funny in a very long time, almost like she’s been phoning it in. I think the shows with guest hosts have been the best

15. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I don’t care what anybody says…….I like her show and all of her guest panel of comedians they crack me up. Sucks that it’s going off the air starting to HATE E! stupid KarTRASHains they should go off the air instead of Chelsea and company!

16. jon says:

Rehab? Won’t miss her at all.

17. jr. says:

Never seen her. But lately I have found The Queen Latifah Show. It’s pretty good. They just did a reunion with the cast of The Carol Burnett Show.

18. DavidSask says:

Why must Chelsea come back to TV at all? Why can’t she work on her other successful ventures. Even so other women hopefully will get a chance to have a new talk show now!

19. Mikael says:

I used to love Chelsea Lately, but you could tell in recent years that she’s just phoning it in. Half the time she has someone else host the show for her!

20. Carolyn says:

Good luck to Chelsea Handler for the future! She’s a little rough around the edges, but she seems like she’s good to her family and friends!

21. sandra hamm says:

yeah chelsea seemed to become a stereotype of chelsea, if that makes sense. it started to sound like she was trying too hard to shock and she made it plain that she thought she was WAY too cool for the E network . what about redhead kathy ( griffin?)she has the same sense of humor–if that’s what they are looking for.

22. Darlene Rivera says:

Don’t leave us Chelsea!!!!!!

23. Darlene Rivera says:

Please don’t leave us Chelsea!!!!!

24. Chrissie says:

Just watched the final episode. Loved it! Made me laugh and cry. She added spark to my life in moments when I felt in the dark.
    Loved her book, loved her show, she is a rare talent.
    At least I now know there is another out there as nutty as me lol!
    Thanks