True Detective Creator: HBO Drama's Season 2 Will Feature Three Leads

truedetective10

If time is flat circle, HBO’s True Detective is offering a little somethin’ extra this go-around.

The gritty crime series’ self-contained second season will feature three lead characters, creator Nic Pizzolatto tells Public Radio International’s To the Best of Our Knowledge.

RELATED | Emmys: True Detective to Compete as Drama Series, Versus Entering Less-Crowded Mini Race

Season 1 followed two estranged Louisiana investigators, Matthew McConaughey’s Rust and Woody Harrelson’s Marty, as they tried to solve a 17-year-old murder case.

The second season’s characters, setting and story are all new; Pizzolatto says that casting soon will begin in earnest.

On a related note, although Zero Dark Thirty star Jessica Chastain reportedly was approached about playing a role in the new season, she has since said she won’t take part in the project.

RELATED | Cable Ratings: True Detective Finale Draws Record Crowd

“I love Woody Harrelson, and I’m gonna watch the second season just like I watched every episode of the first,” the actress tells The Washington Post. “But I won’t be on it.”

Pizzolatto also tells the PRI podcast that Season 2 will take place in California — though not Los Angeles — and will try to evoke “a certain psychosphere ambiance of the place” like it did in bayou country in the first season.

1. Aimee says:

I really hope they do as good a job with the ambiance as they did in the first series. The bayou was became an actual physical presence on that show and might as well have been listed in the credits along with the other two stars.

2. Wtactualf says:

Then the desert is the place to go. Somewhere like Mojave or Barstow.

3. nate says:

aw man i was hoping Jessica would do it :( Eliza Dushku has nothing going on :)

4. torimelching says:

Hopefully season 2 will be as enjoyable as season 1.

5. TracyWx says:

I tried to watch this show. First episode was sort of slow so I gave ep 2 a shot. This show is just not for me. I found in boring and slow. Maybe that’s just how I am. I love Billy Bob but I couldn’t make it thru 2 episodes of Fargo on FX either or the Americans. I’ll try again with season 2 True detective

• yurie says:

It’s a character based show where character development takes precedence over plot. I think you’re more used to plot based shows.

• tv2day says:

I’m the same w TD n Fargo. But I loved breaking bad dexter, n others of the ilk. I also find TD n Fargo super slow. Can’t get thru Americans either.

• Sara says:

I loved Fargo’s pilot & the Americans, but TD was too slow for me because I gave up with the 2nd episode too

6. yurie says:

I’d like Season 2 to cast Jake Gyllenhall, Charlize Theron and Sandra Bullock as the three main leads. Would be nice to see two buddy female detectives and Jake as a young undercover cop.

7. Azerty says:

I was very disappointed when I learnt that season 2 wouldn’t be the the same story and the same location. The story of the Yellow King felt unfinished for me but most important the acting (or actors?), their dynamic and the ambiance were the things that made me watch and love. They have a lot of work to do with season 2 to recreate such atmosphere.

8. alexjones says:

you know true detective still hasn’t been officially renewed yet, wonder what’s taking them so long.

9. James says:

It’s an interesting idea if True Detective is going to have cameo roles for high profile actors each season, one can start making lists of actors now ready for season 3 and 4 etc.

10. Evan says:

It would be a real coup if they could get Denzel Washington to do it! But we all know that’s a long shot, so I will say Josh Charles, Hilary Swank, and Charlize Theron

11. lvar12 says:

It was a good show but they were able to capitalize on Matthew McConaughey’s current hot streak and Oscar nomination that probably gave it more love than what it deserved.I don’t see too many of the top A listers wanting to be involved and it being compared to season 1, think it will be more in line with the level that Harrelson and McConaughey were on (when the show was picked up). There are 3 leads this year but Kate Mara/Anna Kendrick with Chiwetel Ejiofor. Saw some dream casts with Sam Rockwell and Jimmi Simpson would be cool.