The Night Shift: Will You Clock In?

the night shift dw

“The night shift is not like your day shift. It’s an undisciplined zoo. Last week, someone stole my cell phone and sent erotic texts to my dentist.”

This complaint, lodged by a hospital boss with some messages to explain, is par for the course on The Night Shift. The medical drama premiered Tuesday on NBC and follows doctors who take on crazy cases after dark — and have some fun doing it. Will you come back for a follow-up?

Before you let us know what you thought about the series premiere, a brief recap:

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

The ER-meets-M*A*S*H series follows Dr. TC Callahan, played by Irish actor Eoin Macken (Merlin).  When he and the other fun-loving docs at San Antonio Memorial aren’t shooting hoops in the break room or juggling balls pulled out of peoples’ rectums, they are strictly business.

We first meet TC when he wakes up on a jail-cell bed after a bar fight. As the hour progresses, we learn that TC, an Afghanistan veteran who got himself kicked out of the Army, is a great doctor who manages to save a guy with a tree branch lodged into his stomach right in the nick of time.

There is, of course, one person who does not approve of TC’s unconventional ways: the aforementioned administrative boss Michael Ragosa (Six Feet Under‘s Freddy Rodriguez). With the emergency room on the verge of being shut down, Ragosa is all about cutting costs — even if it means refusing to admit a baby in desperate need of dialysis.  TC loves to remind Ragosa that he is not a doctor, but what he and the other docs don’t know is that Ragosa was on track to be one — until diminishing eyesight forced him to quit medical school.

RELATED | Exclusive: Brothers & Sisters Alum Commits to NBC’s Midseason Drama The Night Shift

The graveyard shift is a busy one, so joining TC is levelheaded best friend Topher (Lost‘s Ken Leung). He is caring and will pull whatever strings he needs – like convincing an intern to go on a date with a plastic surgeon – to save his patients’ lives. He is also in charge of residents Krista (Jeananne Goossen, Alcatraz) and Paul (Robert Bailey Jr., Wanda at Large).

And then there’s Dr. Jordan Alexander (Royal Pains‘ Jill Flint), the new night shift chief and TC’s ex-girlfriend. She is a brilliant and passionate doctor and does her best to keep the peace between her “self-destructive” (her words, not ours!) ex and her hard-ass new boss. But Jordan isn’t the only one with romantic ties to the doc: Psychiatrist Landry de la Cruz (Daniella Alonso, Revolution) and TC are Docs With Benefits.

RELATED | Save the Dates! 80+ June Premieres and Finales

Rounding out the night shift is closeted gay war-medic-turned-doctor Drew (Roswell‘s Brendan Fehr) and nurse Kenny (JR Lemon, Shadow Love).

Now we want to hear what you thought. Grade The Night Shift via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

1. brandon says:

I can take clichés if the characters are likable but they weren’t. The making the drunk guy suffer because of what he did was a big turn off. None of them seem to be well put together characters.

2. wrstlgirl says:

There’s definite room for development here. I’ll tune in again.

3. Chris says:

As a former medic (who recently worked in San Antonio), I just once would like to see the correct equipment used and for the stethoscopes be worn and used correctly. This show failed from the opening scene, no medic would give up control of the scene like that. There are rules and procedures to follow any time someone shows up on scene and claims to be a doctor.

• Emily says:

That drives me crazy! It seems like everyone on TV puts their steth on the wrong way. It is so inconsequential because it is just television, but it drives me nuts! I feel like every time I watch a medical show, I spend half the time arguing with the TV about what they are doing wrong medically.

• Pix says:

Ha, the opening scene left me completely baffled, even though I’m not in a medical profession – why would they just automatically listen to a random guy on a bike? He could’ve been anyone!

• Jon smith says:

Come on man it’s just a tv show. Sit back enjoy the story line and quit being a squirrel. If people had a show exactly like the real world no one would watch. It’s entertaining and let’s you escape reality for a moment. Just relax bro. This is also coming from a combat medic, SWAT medic, and a dive medic. (By the way)

4. Sparky says:

I was on the fence until they showed Bailey from Party of Five in the promos for upcoming episodes and I decided I’d tune in again. Seriously what is in the water that him and Alissa Milano are drinking. They never age.

5. critter42 says:

It’s passable enough for a summer series, and since this is the only medical drama on broadcast tv (no cable/sat here) other than Grey’s Anatomy (ugh), I’ll take it…

• Mike R. says:

Same, this will never be the next great Summer TV show, but for Summer TV it is good enough to at least pad the DVR drought until the Fall.

6. c-mo says:

Right now there’s nothing else on that I watch at 9pm (CDT) so I’ll keep watching as long as I remember it’s on but it won’t be “record series” on my DVR

7. c0rinne says:

Gonna watch a little of The Sound of Music and maybe check it out if I finish in time.

8. Maryann says:

There is a lot of chaos going on, and I can tell it is going to take a few episodes for things to really make sense, in terms of who’s who and how the medical staff fit together. However, I see a lot of potential here, and I am in for the duration. I think this show has the potential to be really, really good.

9. Beth says:

It’s so hard to judge a pilot. The only one I have truly thought was done well was Sons of Anarchy. I will continue to tune in because the characters seem likable enough, plus it’s summer so why not?

10. Joey Padron says:

Like it. Looking forward to see more episodes of show this summer.

11. Sara says:

I was pleasantly surprised! My mom and I both aren’t generally a huge fan of military type things in shows so we were both a little skeptical about army doctors but we both rather enjoyed it. Certainly, it’s your fairly typical medical show. A few different cases throughout, a bunch of doctors you have to learn the names of. I found myself really quite intrigued by the characters Brendan Fehr & Ken Leung play. Will definitely give this another shot!

12. Alichat says:

I don’t know if I will stick around. It just seemed predictable and heavy-handed. I had to immediately put a check in the ‘Con’ column when 3 minutes into the show, they make a dig on Obamacare. It’s not that I’m a staunch supporter of the ACA, but there’s just been so much mud slinging and over-debating about it, I just don’t need that crap to bleed into my evening entertainment. Following that up with almost every character either having no insurance, arguing in support of someone with no insurance, or going into a rant about insurance just became tedious. Then add the scene between the nurse and psychiatrist about the brother of the spine victim. Cut to profile shot (overdramatic voice) – “If his brother doesn’t make it, he will never get over this.” Uh….ok….they were hit by a drunk driver. It’s not as if he was the drunk driver. Plus so-so dialogue, loads of chaos without really establishing the characters….it was just too much I think.

• JMarie says:

I agree with the mention of ACA, using Obamacare instead. A dig to it, and thereby, showing the public which side the wind blows with the writers and producer of this show. Thumbs down for me. I will not turn it on again.

13. Zach says:

I liked it! Characters were likable all around (even Ragosa wasn’t all bad), some good laughs, and beautifully shot. It’s good to see a medical drama that isn’t a soap. Will admit there were some clichés, but they were forgivable. Good stuff.

BTW, the creators wrote for Freaks and Geeks!

14. Tricia says:

It made me miss “Mercy,” but I guess I’ll keep tuning in until it gets repetitive.

15. Jess says:

It’s was mediocre acting but subpar writing. This is a far cry from ER

16. Jared Munson says:

It paralleled a lot with the pilot of ER. Opening with the main guy sleeping. Interns. Underfunded hospital with many not having insurance. The tough on the outside administrator. As ER went on military played a big role too. Am I the only one who noticed?

• Maryann says:

Loved this first episode, didn’t make it to episode 2 on ER, or for Grey’s either, for that matter. Night Shift has more in common with Monday Mornings — which started out frenetic and confusing with what initially felt like too many characters, but which gave a huge payoff to viewers who stuck with it for the first few episodes until the characters soeted themselves out in one’s head.

17. Stormy says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate
    your efforts and I will be waiting for your next post thank
    you once again.

18. Coal says:

I liked it, for me it had the same energy Grey’s pilot had. I hope it sticks around, but I don’t see that happening. I love medical dramas were doctors actually get to be doctors not administrators and researchers like the doctors of Seattle have become. Hopefully they find a balance between the medical stuff and the personal lives of the characters.

19. Pix says:

THREE identical female characters? Seriously. And two main storylines are the cliche conflict between rebelious life-saver and strict administrator (who, admittedly, seems to have a potentially interesting storyline in store for him) and the cliche love triangle/quadrangle? I’ll watch 2-3 episodes more for the secondary characters, who are quite awesome (too bad about the redhead from the original pilot, her storyline had so much more potential than what it was replaced with…), and then we’ll see.

20. Great blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?

I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..
    Any ideas? Appreciate it!

21. TinLV says:

For a pilot, I thought it was above average. I liked the leads and I like that the “bad guy” bean counter has layers to his character. I think this show has a lot of potential and will be tuning in next week.

22. DS says:

Loved Eoin as Gwaine in Merlin. I liked this first episode. Looking forward to watching it again. Hey, could the producers bring in Colin Morgan (Merlin) and Bradley James (King Arthur) as guest stars. Maybe even the guy who played Percival in Merlin. That would be awesome.

23. Mary says:

I loved it! Can’t wait for the next episode.

24. Mamma Mia says:

I wasn’t sure I would return until they added the extra information about Freddy Rodriguez’ character. With this as a potential buffer, I’m inclined to revisit the show. I already like the cast, just not the factions who see all other views as wrong. I likes when Freddy’s character “evened” things out!

25. LaLa says:

Eh. Watching it on DVR right now. Need another episode. Right now could go either way.

26. tp says:

It was ok. Good for summer viewing. Hope it doesn’t go the way of Monday Mornings.

27. Jules says:

It was okay – it got better as the hour went on. I would watch again but agree that it’s best as a summer show. Glad that Miles is back on screen! Also I liked that Ragosa wasn’t the stereotypical suit who will do anything (or not do anything) to save a buck and there seems to be a bit more depth there. I’ll give it another shot next week.

28. Fireball says:

I loved it. Finally something good on summer network television.

29. Apocalypto says:

Lame and cliche. Crying about no health insurance, evil hospital administrators, closeted gay ex-military men. One and done with the P.O.S. show.

30. ConnieS says:

First get rid of the twangy guitar music. It was tried in another series and does not work. Needs creative writing, we had a retake on the “deal for the MRI…date with the doctor…” This was done on MASH years ago. Too many story lines introduced in the first episode. We have sexual tension between former lovers, a gay military guy, a doctor who is the hospital administrator who’s losing his sight, janitor with no insurance for his daughter and a budget strapped hospital. All have been story lines in other shows. Does every show have to be so “Political Correct?” There is the creative writing?

Needs to improve before I commit to watching every week.

• jenna says:

agree with the soundtrack! Found it to be distracting and poorly done. Pilots tend to be some of my least favourite episodes in a series so I need to give this show a couple more before making a judgement call. I liked the 2 character twists at the end, but I agree with a previous comment that the females all seem similar

31. DeeDee says:

Pretty good show except that San Antonio was depicted as the Texas frontier. It is a huge metropolitan city- 7th largest in the US. Making it look like a small town hospital kind of got on my nerves.

• B Kane says:

Ditto that. San Antonio has over 1.3 million residents. It is home to the South Texas Medical Center: a collection of large hospitals. PLUS, ths San Antonio Military Medical Center that is the major burn center for the United States and a major trauma center for the area civilian and military alike. NBC should have done it’s homework before picking a locale for it’s show. As a resident of the city, I’m insulted.

• B Kane says:

I forgot to add that the city also has Texas University Hospital that serves the poor and those who have no health insurance.

• Lee W. says:

It’s called University Hospital, the Bexar County medical system hospital. It doesn’t just serve the poor and uninsured…believe me, they prefer the insured there. It’s the only San Antonio hospital that really fits as far as this show, but they make it look so small…it’s really much larger! Yeah, the opening scene…so lame to show it looking like a cow town!

32. Samantha says:

I am a night shift ICU RN. I watched the first 15 minutes and was disappointed by how COMPLETLY unrealistic the medicine was. Won’t ever watch it again.

33. Alex says:

Ultra crapola! The same show has been done before, and a HECK of a lot better, many times–ER, Grey’s, Chicago Hope, et al. This one is really badly acted and has poor writing on top of it. No wonder it’s a summer burnoff. HORRID.

34. Rusty says:

Not sure if it a comedy or drama , regardless I liked it

35. C Mann says:

One of the best new shows I’ve seen in years! And – the doctors are “hot!!”

36. Mimi says:

Love Jill Flint! So good to have her back on my TV.

37. DarkDefender says:

Finally watched it off my DVR and it just reminded me how much I love ER, St. Elsewhere and Grey’s Anatomy (and how much better they are). I’ll give it one more week, but I’ll bet it gets cancelled before they can burn off the episodes.

38. J says:

Pleasantly surprised by the interesting (but unoriginal) medical side plots and the perfect amount of comedy and pretty people. I’m definitely going to keep watching however, if ‘the hospital cannot afford it’ or ‘we are on the verge of being shut down’ is said within the next 2 episodes I’ll quit it. That can not be the only source of conflict on the show. Remember Hawthorne? Exactly.

39. Paulette says:

I felt the show was MASH meets ER. I enjoyed the funny moments as well as drama. The show has potential. I just hope NBC does not pull the show, since that seems to be a habit for NBC. I hope they give the show time to let the characters and story line develop.

40. Annette says:

I kept expecting someone to stand up and say “live from New York, Its Saturday Night!” The acting was so flat that i thought it was a satire of ER. I really was ready for a fresh new ER. Guess I will have to wait!

41. Linda Smith says:

Each show gets more interesting than the next.i love it.i haven’t had a favor show on ABC NBC or CBS in along time .keep me coming. Cause I have got them set to record and watch.please don’t take this show off the air.

42. ron says:

my husband and I watched the night shift show since it came on. we really like the show. then we had a gay dr. well that was ok because it was kept to itself. on the last show when the two gentleman kissed. not just a little kiss, but a romantic kiss.it made our family sick. if a person wants to be gay is one thing but you don’t have to share it on tv. when familys are watching tv together. your taking it to far now. we will not be watching the show no more. as a christian family. we don’t approve this on tv. it doesn’t have to be presented in such a way.

43. T says:

The last series I saw that I really liked was ER….since then I’ve not seen any medical series that kept my attention like ER…..until Night Shift……every week was looking forward to this show…….Please bring back the series….Loved it!

44. mike says:

When does it start back up ????