TCA Awards 2014: True Detective Snags Four Nominations; Good Wife, Breaking Bad Land Three Each

The Good Wife TCA Nominations 2014

It’ll be a case of Good versus Bad versus True at the 2014 Television Critics Association Awards.

Indeed, Program of the Year will feature a race among HBO’s upstart True Detective, The Good Wife (a first-time nominee in the category despite being in its fifth season), 2013 winner Breaking Bad, 2012 champ Game of Thrones and Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

The 30th Annual TCA Awards will be held July 19, 2014, at the Beverly Hilton Hotel during summer press tour.

RELATED | The Good Wife Season 5 Finale: EPs Talk Alicia’s ‘Most Cynical Move Ever,’ ‘Uncomfortable’ Kalinda-Cary Sex and a ‘Younger,’ Riskier Diane

True Detective, which starred Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson as Louisiana cops investigating a series of murders in the mid 1990s, landed four nominations in total, followed by The Good Wife and Breaking Bad with three apiece.

The Big Bang Theory, meanwhile, won’t have to face off with Parks and Recreation, the show with which it tied last year for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy; instead, its 2014 rivals will consist of Louie, Veep, The Mindy Project and Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Here’s the full list of nominees (* denotes 2013 winner in the category).

Program of the Year
*Breaking Bad (AMC)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
The Good Wife (CBS)
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
True Detective (HBO)

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy
*The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox)
Louie (FX)
The Mindy Project (Fox)
Veep (HBO)

Individual Achievement in Comedy
*Louis C.K., Louie (FX)
Mindy Kaling, The Mindy Project (Fox)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (HBO)
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation (NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in Drama
The Americans (FX)
Breaking Bad (AMC)
*Game of Thrones (HBO)
House of Cards (Netflix)
The Good Wife (CBS)

Individual Achievement in Drama
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife (CBS)
*Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black (BBC America)
Matthew McConaughey, True Detective (HBO)
Matthew Rhys, The Americans (FX)

Outstanding Achievement in News and Information
CBS Sunday Morning (CBS)
Cosmos (Fox)
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)
Frontline (PBS)
60 Minutes (CBS)

Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming
The Amazing Race (CBS)
RuPaul’s Drag Race (Logo)
*Shark Tank (ABC)
Survivor (CBS)
The Voice (NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming
Adventure Time (Cartoon Network)
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood (PBS)
The Fosters (ABC Family)
Sesame Street (PBS)
Switched at Birth (ABC Family)

Outstanding New Program
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox)
Fargo (FX)
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
True Detective (HBO)

Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials
American Horror Story: Coven (FX)
Broadchurch (BBC America)
Fargo (FX)
The Returned (SundanceTV)
True Detective (HBO)

Career Achievement Award
Mark Burnett
James Burrows
Valerie Harper
Jay Leno
William Shatner

Heritage Award
Lost (ABC)
Saturday Night Live (NBC)
South Park (Comedy Central)
Star Trek (NBC)
Twin Peaks (ABC)

Stoked about any particular nomination? Dismayed by a snub? Sound off in the comments!

1. Rebecca Parker says:

So excited for The Good Wife and The Mindy Project noms!! Well deserved!

2. kim says:

I am disappointed that once again there is no recognition for Sons of Anarchy. Season 6 was its strongest season yet.

3. diogomsilva says:

It doesn’t make sense Amy Poehler being nominated and Parks and Rec isn’t.

4. Aimee says:

OK TCAs you gave Tatiana a much deserved win last year and helped restore some of my faith in entertainment awards. Now keep that trend alive and show some love to Orange is the New Black and The Americans.

5. meah says:

Yeessss at my Queen Tatiana maslany!!also sleepy hollow got in.its a good list

6. JJ says:

I mean how PERFECT are these nominations? Program of the year -nominees are literally my five favorite shows! Plus all the love for The Mindy Project and The Good Wife just makes me so happy.

7. Sara says:

I think is going to be Maslany vs McConaughey in the Drama category. And go Sleepy Hollow! Did not expect to see them!

8. Summer says:

And once again The Walking Dead is totally underrated and not nominated. Give the horror genre a chance awards people! =(

• Exactly what I was thinking.Just because it’s ‘genre’ doesn’t mean they can’t act/write/direct etc.

• dee says:

Sleepy Hollow was nominated, though.

• Congrats to Sleepy Hollow and Orphan Black but I think the zombie part still throws them off-even tho it’s about the survivors not the zombies.

• Summer says:

Bingo. Thrilled they’ve won for SFX and VFX but the acting/writing/directing/editing is excellent in the show. Especially Andrew Lincoln and Melissa McBride. Scott Gimple is a great showrunner as well. Charred/legless/skeletal zombies and the mere blood content shouldn’t take away from considering all of this. Yeah some scenes may be hard to watch (Lincoln going for the jugular in the S4 finale) but imagine how difficult that scene was to shoot/act. Blew me away!

9. Court says:

Tatiana and Matthew for Individual Achievement in Drama make me so happy, that whole category actually. I’m disappointed that Mad Men got no noms. I know people don’t think it is as good, but I still think it’s incredible. But it’s awesome that The Good Wife is getting recognized! And The Americans.

10. Missy Kelly says:

Orphan Black only 1 for Tatiana – deserved but hoped the critics would look deeper to see the accomplishments of the whole team

11. Kate says:

Amy Poehler!!!

12. kirads09 says:

Seeing Tatiana’s name made my day. She deserves every accolade given to her – and most that aren’t. Amazing. I also am pleasantly surprised to see FX’s Fargo at least there somewhere.. I am really loving every minute of that show. ( I never thought I would like Billy Bob in much of anything. But he is perfection as Malvo.) But – what – wait – Hannibal not on the list anywhere? That is travesty. Best written, most stunning visually and best acted series on TV IMO.

• dee says:

Was surprised that neither Thornton nor Martin Freeman got acting nods. Both are outstanding. But then, with only five slots….

13. Melissa says:

Glad to see recognition for The Americans, Matthew Rhys, Tatiana Maslany and Veep. I don’t understand why the Good wife is nominated. The last season wasn’t that great.

14. dru says:

Mindy is an awful actress

• scooby says:

Apparently not. A lot of us like her acting, Ausiello and Matt like her show a lot, and she just got nominated for an award by people who are pretty used to see the best and worst things on tv. You got nominated for what again? Or maybe you’re an expert on quality tv. Please share with us your extensive qualifications. Or you could just admit that you, dru, personally don’t like her which is fine, but it is certainly not a fact. Stop stating opinion as such.

15. Jackson says:

How can True Detective be in both the New Program and Movie, miniseries or Special catagories? Shouldn’t it be one or the other? (if a movie,miniseries or special is considered a program then why have a separate catagory)

16. Et al. says:

Really good list. I hope Twin Peaks snags the legacy award. I’ll see you again in 25 years!

17. zaynesays says:

I’m sad that Robin Wright didn’t get a nomination because I thought she was outstanding this season. I’m proud that Tatiana and Julianna +The Good Wife got some much needed recognition though.

18. The TCAs always impress me compared with other tv awards, which almost always get it spectacularly wrong. The Good Wife, Game of thrones, Cosmos e.t.c nominations are well deserved. Some things like all the big bang theory nominations kind of make me roll my eyes, but I am so excited that they are recognizing shows (Broadchurch, Mindy Project, OITNB, Sleepy Hollow!!!!) and people (Tatiana Maslany again! Matthew Rhys! So many women in the comedy category!) that other awards haven’t/probably won’t, but I am so disappointed that Masters of Sex is not up here in any way. It’s deserves a nomination in pretty much every eligible category. It was my second favourite show of the whole season. I would have loved some love for Penny Dreadful as well, although I understand it’s very new. Also: true detective is overrated. There, I said it.

• dee says:

Totally agreed on True Detective. For moody, atmospheric, twisty murder mystery shows, Broadchurch was far superior in every way.

• 324B21 says:

I’m with you on Penny Dreadful but I don’t think it came out in time to make the cut. Hopefully we will see it on next year’s awards list.

• Yes I figured as much. Penny dreadful ended upsuch a surprise delight for me. It’s campy and fun but the story makes sense within its own mythology (looking at you AHS: coven) and the performances are impressive. Eva Green is a delight to watch. It’s just awesome to see a moody cable drama being led brilliantly by a woman.

• Oh my God how could I forget Hannibal? I don’t know if it has to do with eligibility but I can’t believe it isn’t recognized here (Mads Mikkelsen’s excellent season 2 performance especially). The show is a masterpiece.

19. dee says:

Hurray for Sleepy Hollow! Didn’t figure any network shows would make the cut.

• dee says:

Replying to my own comment to ask, how can “True Detective” be both a “New Program” AND a “Movie, Miniseries, or Special?”?!??!?? Makes no sense.

20. RJ says:

Fargo vs. True Detective. Interesting.

21. Babybop says:

Yay for Mindy Kaling and Sleepy Hollow!

22. Dude says:

Hell yes Tatiana Maslany! Best actress on television. No one deserves this more.

23. 324B21 says:

Once again the TCAs have done a great job with the nominations. Emmys and Golden Globes take note!!!

24. Serina Tan says:

I Can’t believe Hannibal Wasn’t Nominated, now that’s a major snub

25. Hege says:

True Detective deserves the nominations. But Hannibal should be nominated too. Fantastic series!

26. CJ says:

This list is just about perfect, in my opinion. The TCA’s are one of the more satisfying awards ceremonies of the year because it seems the awards go to people/series that actually deserve them, without the nastiness and politicking of some of the other awards shows.

27. Dav says:

Wow this just made my day. So excited about:
    -Orange is the New -Black
    Tatiana Maslany
    -The Fosters
    -Broadchurch

28. Jimmy says:

That list for career achievement and the heritage awards is an odd mixture. As Trekkie it would be nice to see Star Trek win that award.

29. The lack of Hannibal instantly invalidates these awards. And I will say that come Emmy noms too.

30. CJ says:

Drag Race nominated again! Great to see!

31. Robert Dinca says:

Where is The Colbert Report?

32. Beverly says:

If the voters all watched the last two episodes of Orphan Black and the interaction between Sarah and Helena then Tatiana should win it hands down. They might as well just give her the award now and be done with it.

33. Roberta says:

Give all awards to Breaking Bad and throw out everything else.

34. Hi there, I log on to your new stuff on a regular basis.
    Your story-telling style is awesome, keep doing what you’re
    doing!

35. Joey Padron says:

Happy Breaking Bad, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Mindy
    Project, and Parks & Rec got nominated

36. Maslany? Again? All style, no substance. 100% gimmickry. It shouldn’t be how many Emmy bait roles you play, just do it well. Rachel Nichols with her one character on Continuum nukes Maslany’s 7 or whatever # of characters she’s playing this season. As a series, OB is simply not sustainable. And when it hits the virtual creative wall, the fallout will be of Heroes season 3 and 4 meltdown-ness. It will be coyote ugly. Continuum was ripped off in INdividual Achievement Drama as well as Program and Drama. Remember the Saturn Awards; Continuum 3, Orphan Black 0.

Yay Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Meh to everything else.

• Abigale says:

Clearly you are just a Rachel Nichols fanboy who will hate on any actress who isn’t her. Anyone who actually watches Orphan Black will tell you that the nomination and critical love for Maslany is not just because she plays 7 different characters. It’s because she does it so well that each one is uniquely distinct from the others to the point that I still have a hard time believing they are all played by the same person even though I know for a fact they are. It may be a gimmick but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth watching.

• This guy trolls numerous sites bashing Ms. Maslany and Orphan Black. Ignore the boor!

• If you factor in the last 2 Leo Awards, Constellation Awards, Canadian Screen Awards & Saturn Awards, Rachel Nichols is the lead actress on a series that’s been nominated for a cumulative 55 awards. The quality is there, people, if you just watch the show.

• Derek says:

Perhaps people are turned off by the fact that it’s fans feel the need to trash talk other actresses so much. See, if you had posted just this I would have been more receptive because you are only pointing out positive things about someone. The fact that you always lead off with insults of someone else shows that you are nothing but low class.

• It’s just OB and Maslany get so much press because they’re flashy, they’ve got BBC America behind them, because the show is such a Scandal-esque cluster-f. They never had to work their butts off the way Continuum has trying to scrape and claw to have even one mainstream media critic review their show. I guess I resent that. Guilty, then.

• FtheFreys says:

I would not say Maslany has no substance. She acts well with the material she’s given. But I am not on the bandwagon where a lot of people praise Maslany for playing seven roles either. I commend her for it but I do not think the roles are as award worthy as some other actresses that get passed up. The reason being is her numerous characters are all caricatures and not very layered. You get the soccer mom, the hip scientest geek, the crazy russian assasin. The most layered role is the original of the clone that the series starts the narrative with. I find roles like Norma Bates or Claire Underwood to be more unique with much more depth. Vera Ferminga’s Norma Bates is unlike any other on television. I cannot say that for any of Maslany’s characters. I can say Maslany’s workload is unlike any other actors on television. But I do think people need to examine the quality of Maslany’s roles on Orphan Black and talk less about the quantity.

37. jane mark says:

The good wife is a wonderful show.

38. Jan says:

Very happy to see The Fosters get a nod. It’s a wonderful show for all ages!

39. Jan says:

Also pleased about Good Wife, OITNB, and Broadchurch. Quality TV still exists!

40. Gerald says:

Oh Come On!!!! True Detective is a program or a mini series. It can’t be both. No wonder it is sitting with 4 nominations!

41. LovinLife says:

Tatiana Maslany deserves this award. She is crazy talented! Probably one of the best actresses to come along in decades. She embodies every character she plays and is flawless. You have no idea you are watching the same person. Love everyone in her category but don’t think any of them could do what she does in a days work.

42. Ali says:

Very happy to see Broadchurch on the list. It was a spectacular series. Excited to see the next series.

43. Ron says:

It will never cease to amaze me how a show like TBBT makes the cut when something like Parks & Rec or Community don’t. Admittedly, Parks & Rec was up and down this season, but still much better at its worse than TBBT. And I personally think Community (RIP…or don’t and just come back to my TV in some capacity) came back with a vengeance from that gas leak. Also, maybe it lacks the buzz (?), but I’m a little disappointed to see no love for Rectify. But I understand that one a little more as the drama field is so crowded with mindblowingly amazing shows.

44. Zoe says:

Excuse me, where the hell is Mariska Hargitay’s nomination for SVU? The hell they put Olivia Benson through this year really showcased how stunning of an actress she is. She’s one the best actresses on TV (and I will fight anyone who says otherwise) and this season truly proved it. And she got snubbed? Rude, TCA. Very rude indeed.

45. Dr. L says:

I’m glad to see The Mindy Project getting some recognition. Totally deserved! :)

46. Babygate says:

Tatiana Maslany was nominated… all is well…

47. Norkir says:

I would have included “The Killing”; “The Bridge”; “Suits”! All had stellar ensemble casts with awesome performances by several of the principal characters.

48. danoregon says:

They have nominees for career achievement? Pretty weak. Just give someone the award.

49. arial2 says:

Would love to see Broadchurch and Cosmos win their categories. Two wonderful shows!

50. Victoria says:

So glad The Mindy Project got some recognition! I really enjoyed this season! I’m also happy about Amy Poehler’s nomination, of course, even though Parks and Rec has had its ups and downs this season.

• Miranda says:

So happy for The Mindy Project! This season has been incredibly funny and charming and I really wish Mindy and the show would get more awards recognition.
      I’m really annoyed that Hannibal doesn’t get any love, not even from the TCAs. So when Hannibal gets snubbed again by the Emmys this year, the critics should really not complain.

• scooby says:

You know what’s awesome? Right after The Mindy Project and Mindy Kaling get TCA nominations, the Critics Choice Awards come out with a nomination for Comedy Actor for Chris Messina! Now it’s not for TMP or Mindy but those categories get pretty full. I was so happy for Chris. Well deserved. He really nailed it.