24: LAD Recap: Keeping Up With the Droneses

24LAD-EP5_SC520_DS-5205(1)This week on Fox’s 24: Live Another Day, important people finally start to buy what Jack Bauer is selling, but did they wise up too late? Also: Margot Al-Harazi goes public with her demands — is President Heller willing to pay the price?

RELATED | Yvonne Strahovski Talks 24′s Potential Alliance, Shares Sarah Walker’s Take on ‘Naughty’ Kate

So, coming out of last week’s tag, in which the CIA’s Kate Morgan “stole” custody of Jack Bauer from the (angry) Marines at the Embassy, you may well have thought we were commencing the Jack and Kate Save the World Show. But not quite yet. Instead, the unlikely allies are (for now) pulled in separate directions — her, called on the carpet by CIA boss Navarro, while Jack gets the face-to-face with President Heller he’d been yammering for.

It may seem a bit early in the “season” for VIPs to start taking Jack seriously, but the show needs to accelerate things in this 12-episode format. Plus, as I’ve said since Season 2: Why wouldn’t they?? The guy saves planets, with frequency. Luckily, though Jack wasn’t able to upload the entire flight key to Chloe, Kate leaves the Embassy with it and finishes the job via laptop. And sure ’nuff, she uncovers the proof that Margot is able to seize command of 10 drones, to do with as she pleases. Nonetheless, Kate gets double-secret officially demoted by Navarro for her productive yet extreme effort. Adrian meanwhile orders Open Cell to mobilize, but Chloe insists on staying behind to help Jack and the CIA.

RELATED | Fox’s Gang Related: Are You Ready to Join Up?

Heller, upon hearing from Navarro that the threat is real, orders General Walter Steele to ground all drones worldwide, but Margot is able to commandeer six of them before the lockdown. Worse, the U.S. has no means of tracking their stolen, super-stealthy hardware. So that’s a problem. Margot then delivers a video, detailing both her grievance (a drone strike killed her husband as well as many civilians) and her demand, that President Heller is handed over to her in three hours. The next objective is thus to find Margot’s base of operations — and as luck would have it, Jack “knows a guy,” but he and only he can track down this arms dealer to, you know, do the things Jack does to get intel. However, Heller’s not about to send Russia’s Most Wanted back into the field; guy has enough political headaches.

Amidst the mayhem, 24: LAD makes time for a reunion two-and-a-half-seasons/seven years in the making, when Audrey secures her own face time with Jack. But rather than rip open old wounds and rehash their estrangement — long story very short: in Season 6, Audrey was tortured by the Chinese, resulting in a catatonic state, in the course of trying to help Jack — their time together is instantly warm, intimate. I was never the hugest Jack/Audrey fan (#TeamRenee), yet found myself suitable moved by their extended session of forehead sex.

RELATED | Your June Calendar: 80+ Premiere and Finale Dates

Back at Margot’s lair, Naveed decides that he cannot go through with piloting the deadly drone strike, so he confides in Simone his plot to slip the CIA a clue to their whereabouts. Alas, Margot’s son Ian spied Naveed’s handiwork and swapped in an alternate IP address for the CIA to track. As Margot executes Naveed in front of an I’ve-Got-9-Fingers-Yet-I’m-Quite-OK-With-It-All Simone, Navarro and Ritter lead a team to the manor they believe Margot is operating out of. But instead of discovering a big, bad terrorist, all they find is a pair of drone missiles descending right at ‘em. The explosion suggests many casualties, though the fates of Navarro and Ritter — who were charging toward the blast without helmets — are TBD. But come on — it’s Benjamin Bratt. So while he might be banged up for an episode/hour or so, leaving Kate to rule the CIA roost, I have to believe he’ll be back.

What did you think of 24: LAD‘s 3 o’clock hour? Excited for Jack and Kate to hit the field together next week?

1. dan says:

Forehead sex, that’s funny.

2. spartan says:

I’ve liked Kim Raver in EVERY role but Audrey, so can’t get on board with the Jack-Audrey reunion hype. Wish they hadn’t killed off Renee. Overall, though, LAD is exceeding expectations and certainly exceeding the early reviews. The drone attack plot feels very current. Sorry I can’t say the same for Chloe’s “Dragon Tattoo” getup!

• Aeol says:

Her fresh eyeliner…no. Just no. Am I really supposed to believe CHLOE took the time to re-draw her very important eye wings?

3. Chlojack says:

Magot makes Dina Araz look like the mother of the year. Holy crap! And next week’s preview looks amazing!

4. Justin says:

I couldn’t care a less about Aubrey but next week looks fantastic. I’ve been waiting for the Jack Bauer/Kate Morgan team up since the show started. Next week looks great.

5. bj says:

” Forehead sex” lol I’m still laughing. I love your reviews.

And this is definitely a case of less is more. That scene was so much sexier than a lot of the scenes on tv today, especially on cable, which seems to have a penchant for naked women bouncing on top of assorted guys.

I’m really enjoying the series so far. although I will second spartan’s comments on Chloe.

6. Geo says:

Wow, it’s already almost halfway over. Another season, please, and keep it at twelve episodes. I like how fast this is moving, without any of the filler that occasionally bogged down the twenty-four episode seasons.

7. Dee says:

Yea that forehead sex was funny! But I’m with you Team Renee all the way!!

8. James D says:

why did this show ever leave it is so fantastic. hasn’t skipped a beat yet can’t wait for the next episode. You definitely get a well deserved lol for forehead sex Matt very nicely done :)

9. Tran says:

The best if not one of the best “hours” of 24 I’ve ever seen this season and it’s great to see Jack and Audrey reunited after all they went through especially what happened in the Season Six finale. Let’s hope Navarro and Ritter survives in next week’s episode after they were ambushed and I guess were in for a wild and crazy 24 moment known as TORTURE (see next week’s promo on YouTube).

10. M3rc Nate says:

Let this shows season be absolute proof of whats wrong with a ton of American Television, especially Network TV. SHRINK TV SEASONS AND THE QUALITY GOES UP! AND THE FILLER GOES OUT!

I am loving this season….rewatched a bunch of 24 seasons and i swear if this season was 24 episodes like normal, it would have taken SOOOOOOO MUCH longer for Jack to get proven right, and for Kate to get proven right….Kate would have gotten hit by a car (while driving her car uploading the file) and taken hostage and Jack would have had to rescue her and etc etc etc etc etc FILLER FILLER FILLER….but omg its fantastic to have no filler. This is just the meat of the story! No run arounds, no recapturing, no double bluff then a triple bluff then a plot D and plot E and plot F while Plot A and B (the ones we actually care about) are getting 4 minutes a episode worth of screen time, and we are watching characters we dont give a crap about for WAY too long, making episodes lame and boring (Freddie Prince in the previous season among others)

I wish it wasnt ALL about money for shows…if every show with 20+ episodes thats a hour long drama cut it down to 13 episodes…the quality of the shows would sky rocket. Fringe which was amazing at 20+ episodes (rare) was perfection at 13 for its final season.

• Evan says:

I agree with you totally!!! You would think with the success of the cable shows and others like Sleepy Hollow that TV execs would start using this model more… could you imagine if some of the borderline shows like the The Tomorrow People only had 13 episode orders not only would the quality go way up, they would be able to make more money because they would have to order more new series to fill out the schedule!

11. mc says:

That 4G bit, Sprint, wow.

12. Julie says:

Great episode last night! Loved the Jack and Aidrey reunion – I’ve been waiting for this ever since I heard Kim Raver was returning. I love how fast it’s moving but I also don’t want it to be over!

13. 24 junkie says:

24 is the epitome of what a great show is and should be period

14. Rich Abey says:

Phew! I was holding my breath there for quite a while, though not as much as I did for the ‘ticking-clock’ heavy episode last week. Now that it’s summer time and 90% of the shows I love are off the air, I thought I’d be feeling quite down with nothing to look forward to after a day of lectures..thankfully I have 24 to look forward to at least for the next few weeks.