Orphan Black Recap: Strange Love

Orphan Black Season 2 RecapOn this Saturday’s Orphan Black, Suits star Patrick J. Adams revealed the softer side of Helena, while Sarah learned her origins.

But before we get to the big mythology info dump, let’s talk about that scene. You know the one because if you’re anything like me, it won’t soon leave your mind. It doesn’t pack the “OMG, what is she doing?!” shock of last week’s bizarre Rachel/Paul sex scene, but it’s nonetheless memorable — and so not what I expected from Adams’ guest spot.

RELATED | TVLine’s Performer of the Week: Tatiana Maslany

While Sarah is busy tracking Swan Man, Helena takes a side visit to a local bar, where after being harassed by a fellow patron, she meets Jesse (played by Adams). He gets a burly bro to back off, she thanks him with a White Russian, he offers her some of his pork rinds…. It’s a match made in Heaven. The two get talking and she spins a tale, pulling from her “sisters'” lives: She tells him she was a police detective in Ukraine, then a brilliant scientist who quit to be with her family, and finally she went to rehab.

Jesse is impressed by the life she’s lived. “Wonder how a simple guy like me keeps a girl like you in a place like this,” he muses.

With arm wrestling, apparently. But just as they’re about to go for another round, the music in the bar changes and Jesse offers his hand to Helena for a dance. As the two embrace, Helena’s eyes grow watery, and you can’t help but be overwhelmed for her. Most likely, this is the first time a guy has expressed that kind of interest in her, and it’s a lovely reminder that for all her craziness, Helena is a real person with real feelings. She wants love just like anyone else, probably even more so considering how messed up her life has been.

But Helena and Jesse’s sweet kiss is interrupted by burly dude, who tries to cut in. Helena immediately reverts back to her old self and starts using billiards equipment as weapons and then claws at his eyes. Jesse looks on a bit horrified, but he still comes to her defense. Alas, she gets taken away in cuffs.

RELATED | Post Mortem: Orphan Black‘s Dylan Bruce on That Sex Scene, Paul ‘Stalking’ Sarah and More

As for what we learned in the info-heavy episode:

MRS. S IS IN THE KNOW | Sarah tracks Ethan Duncan to a house, but the person who answers the door isn’t Swan Man. It’s Mrs. S, who reveals that she and her people hid Duncan after he came over to their side. In return, he gave them info on horrific child experiments and Amelia. Meanwhile, an exchange with Paul unveils that Mrs. S also knows a lot about Beth-turned-Rachel’s monitor. She’s aware that he’s stuck between Leekie and Rachel — and “a man with two masters answers only to himself.”

“If you think you’re taking Sarah back, you have to kill me,” she continues. “But you don’t want do that or Afghanistan would have all been for naught. In your position, you could really use a new friend.” And so, an uneasy alliance is formed?

GIRLS IN DEMAND | Sarah eventually gets her moment with Duncan, who doesn’t know how many clones there are. He and Susan weren’t the only implementation team. The military recruited them, but when they managed to clone human embryos, an oversight committee declared them an ethical failure. After the military pulled out, Dyad came in as a contractor. “Why? What did you want?” asks Sarah. “Babies,” he replies. “Little girls.” But why little girls? For what purpose?

RELATED | Orphan Black‘s Dylan Bruce on Paul’s Agenda, His Softness for Sarah and More

LITTLE GIRL LOST | According to Duncan, the Neolutionists inside Dyad, aka Leekie, “stole” Rachel and wouldn’t let him and Susan raise her. Duncan was going to expose everything, but Leekie found out and killed Susan. So that’s why Ethan has been in hiding all these years.

FAMILY MATTERS | Scott gets a job at Dyad, working alongside Cosima and Delphine. He knows that they had him looking at clone DNA — he doesn’t know it’s Cosima’s, though — and he’s figured out something else, too: Whoever they cloned has a female relative, like a niece or a daughter. Delphine swears Scott to secrecy about his discovery. He can’t even tell Cosima, she says.

VIC THE D–K | Sarah’s troublesome ex is back — bonding in rehab with Alison! — and he’s working for Angie. He’ll get the dirt on the mystery doppelganger, and she’ll have his charges dropped. I’m not sure partnering two of the show’s most irksome characters, Vic and Angie, was a good idea, but at least the new “Zen” Vic is kind of funny. “I can’t help but think the godhead has put you here to test me,” he tells Alison.

Orphan Black fans, what did you think of Helena and Jesse’s love connection? Got any theories on Duncan’s revelations and Scott’s discovery? And how weird was it to see Helena smiling in the car with Sarah? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Kevin says:

helena is definitely my favourite clone at this point! Btw, who else agrees that sarah has become infinitely more interesting this season?

2. cfm says:

AND HELENA got bailed out by Grace!!!
    That part made me sad… “take me to my babies”

• Alichat says:

I was more saddened that Helena was right about Sarah…..she ditched Helena the moment she knew where Duncan was. It would have been nice if she’d sneaked in to see if she was ok, or at least called the station.

• cfm says:

Well, Sarah did tell Art and he said he’d check on her.
        She told Helena to stay in the car, next thing she’s getting arrested. My guess is she got the info to find Duncan and thought it would be easier to do without helena. But helena doesn’t know that, so yeah it was sad. :(

• Abby says:

Agree. It’s the most unsettled (and judgy) I’ve been so far. It’s very Sarah, but I’m so upset about it.

• MarinoAzul says:

Well, don’t forget that Sarah is a swindler and she take advantage from her entrusted victims and preys. That’s because she got a selfish personality.

3. cfm says:

Also, Art and Felix teaming up… I liked.

• jax says:

ditto. but i am always in favor of more felix. i was bummed the vic is working the angie. she is so annoying!

4. nate says:

all the Helena/Sarah scenes were beautiful from the tent to car. HILARIOUS!

5. Casey Hammond says:

Each week this show continues to amaze me, as well as, the acting talents of Tatiana Maslany. Each of the clones have become totally individual characters, she truly deserved the status of Performer of the Week. I love this show!

6. Caroline says:

Can someone explain to me what Scott meant when he spoke to Delphine about the clone DNA and female relative. Are they talking about Kira? Was Scott (unknowingly) just working on Cosima’s DNA or was he comparing several clones’ DNA?

• David4 says:

How could they be talking about Kira who is 8 when the clones all share a female family member?

I’m not sure what they mean, but I have a feeling that Racheal’s mom is the woman.

• Alichat says:

Well, he did say daughter. I think that’s why Caroline is asking if he is referencing Kira. But I think it’s either the original or a family member of the original. It could be Rachel’s mother, but I think that would be a little lame that both parents are alive.

• David4 says:

But does she have to be alive? Wouldn’t the DNA part have to be decades old or were they using it as a clone cure?

They really need to show the same episode 8-11pm eastern every week because there is just so much I can’t keep up.

• LB says:

I find the dialogue kind of confusing. Scott says, “Whoever you cloned, do they have female relative like a niece or even a daughter?” The “whoever you cloned” part tells me that the conversation is about the “original” and whether she has a family member that could be the stem cell donor. On the other hand, the fact that Scott talks about a “niece or … daughter” and the fact that Delphine doesn’t want Cosima to know about it make it seem like they are talking about the clones and whether one of them has an offspring that could be the donor. Am I misinterpreting something or is this just sloppy writing?

• Jenny says:

How I am interpreting this is that “whoever they cloned” aka the original (everyone Tatiana plays) has a “daughter or niece”. What I’m thinking is that the daughter is special. And they cloned the mother (maybe they couldn’t clone the daughter for some reason). Which is why Kira is so special and why they’re so interested in Kira and how Sarah has been the only one able to have a child. So that connects what Scott said about the original having a daughter/niece and what Duncan was saying how they wanted little girls.

• leo21 says:

I don’t think they mean Kira. Leakey didn’t have access to her let alone harvest her stem cells. There could be an aunt, their genetic mother may have had another daughter, or based on the conversation with Duncan, there could be another clone out that has had a child. I think Delphine realizes Leakey has been lying to them and doesn’t want Cosima to know yet.

• Alan says:

kira was in hospital at the end of season 1 for a while, dyad could have easily gotten their hands on any samples that were taken from her at the time.

• Abby says:

Baby teeth are the source. Kira would have had to have lost a tooth in hospital, or Leekie would have to have access to Kira’s teeth in another way.

• Alan says:

well she was hit by a car, i think losing a tooth or two would be pretty easy in that situation.

• Caroline says:

I just rewatched the episode with subtitles :), and in the scene where Delphine is injecting Cosima, they were talking about implantation, stem cells and finding a match. Delphine says “Luckily we only had to search thousands of samples before we found it.” Now fast forward to the scene with Delphine and Scott, they were talking about the stem cell donor sharing “13 str loci” with the clones. Ok, so now I get it, they weren’t talking about Kira, they were talking about the stem cell donor. They should have put a scene of Delphine and Cosima searching for a stem cell donor, it would have made it clearer.

• Alan says:

no they were talking about kira, its just that cosima doesnt know that.

• LB says:

Not necessarily. As I mentioned above, the way Scott’s comment is worded suggests that the stem cell donor is a female relative of the original woman that the clones were copied from. Therefore, unless Sarah is the “original,” Kira couldn’t be who they were talking about. Of course, Scott’s comment could have been worded poorly, and you could be right.

• Abby says:

Genetically, the clones *are* the original. It could be Kira, it could be the original’s sister or niece, or it could be another clone’s daughter (that Leekie has access to and is keeping secret).

7. Amanda says:

Did anyone else catch Felix’s line about being demoted from baby-sitter to bargaining chip? I’m starting to think Felix has been Sarah’s monitor all along.

• jax says:

i took that as more of a reference to him being asked to “babysit” at various point cosima, allison, and most recently helena.

• 324B21 says:

Yeah, Ms. S seems to be pretty aware of who all the players are in this game. I highly doubt she would have let Felix get so close to Sarah if he was working with Dyad.

8. Alichat says:

I’m curious to know what Mrs. S meant when she said to Paul that “Afghanistan would have all been for naught.” The way she stated it implies that what happened in Afghanistan…..the shootings….was intentional. But then perhaps she was implying that him covering up what had happened would have all been for naught, but then why not say ‘then everything you did to hide Afghanistan would have all been for naught”? I’m probably over-analyzing it, but that line just threw me.

• Alichat says:

I forgot to say that Mrs S’s other line that threw me was her reply to Paul’s question “Who does Siobhan Sadler answer to?” She said “I’m their mom, aren’t I?” Did she mean that literally????

• jax says:

i agree – her comment to paul about afghanistan was odd!

• Sparky says:

Yeah I wasn’t sure I heard her correctly when she said I’m their Mom. Is she all the clones biological mother. Might be a little too convenient to go that direction but I feel like there is some big reveal to her storyline.

• Abigale says:

I thought she said “I’m THE mom…” as in she is playing the roll of the mother. You know, looking out for Sarah and Kira. (She was her foster mother). I don’t think she meant it literally.

• Alichat says:

I listened to it twice without captioning, and then twice with captioning. She said “I’m their mom, aren’t I?”

• Alan says:

yeah i got that from that line too.

• Abigale says:

I still don’t think she is the “real” mother. Like I said above, she was Sarah’s foster mother and she was looking after Kira for a while too. She is the closest thing Sarah has to a real mother and she is darn sure acting like one. Doing everything she can to protect her “kids”.

• GeoDiva says:

In the last episode of season 1, a reference was made that something bad happened Afghanistan with Paul special forces group/mission and that is why is he being blackmailed into working with Rachel.

• LB says:

I think everyone is aware of that reference. The question is why Mrs. S said it would have been “for naught.”

• cjeffery7 says:

im just spit-balling, but id think more the latter. we know that Paul intentionally killed people in Afghanistan, friendly fire, treason, etc. but based on what Mrs. S. is saying it sounds like maybe it was for reasons relating to the clones, a fact that Paul has managed to cover up until this point.

9. valeriel40 says:

Does anyone know who sang the song when Helen & Jesse were dancing? I loved it!

10. Coal says:

This is good TV. Kudos to the writers on Helena, she’s been an intriguing character this season.

11. Ash says:

not. enough. Cosima

12. Bender says:

I too am disappointed that Sarah basically abandoned her sister. Sure Helena is tough, but she can’t take out these guys all by herself. Besides, she has been all alone and unloved all of her life and she starving for love, as this episode shows. After that very touching scene in the tent, Sarah should have stuck around to bail out Helena herself instead of running off and leaving Helena to the wolves.

• Alan says:

its right in sarahs nature and characterization to go ahead with the search for duncan, the people she cares most about in the world are kira and felix and when one of them is in danger she drops everything and runs head on at the problem to try and save them no matter what casualties happen as a result. at least she called art to get him to help, thats more than i expected of her.

• Abigale says:

It’s not like Sarah could just waltz into a police station and pick up her crazy clone sister. Even if she isn’t on the run from the police specifically, she is on the run from some pretty resourceful and scary people. It was not safe for her to go into a police station. So she did the best she could. She called Art to help get Helena out while she continued on to find the Swan Man.

13. Kevin says:

Maybe I kinda suck at science since I hardly understand anything when they mentioned the clones.

14. cjeffery7 says:

so is there another clone child out there somewhere? alive? deformed/now dead, dissected for harvesting of genetic material? have the scientists been creating next-generation clones with the DNA samples they’ve been collecting all these years from the Beth, Cosima, Allison, et al? SO MANY QUESTIONS MY MIND IS RUNNING WILD!

15. Bender says:

This much is clear — Paul has got to go.
    He can never, ever be trusted, and he will always be a threat. Even if somehow he has supposedly been blackmailed into this business, he has shown himself to be a willing and eager collaborator. He’s no victim, he’s a perpetrator.
    Donny is more worthy of our respect than Paul. Donny is just an idiot, but Paul is evil.

16. Bill says:

Paul is an evil piece of work. He has to go. Mrs. S. or Helena needs to get rid of him.

17. Nit Picker Jr says:

Ups and downs, ups and downs… a) shouldn’t have watched the teaser vid the other day ’cause that would’ve made H’s tongue-wagging at Burly Beard even more of a stand out when seeing it just now … still laughed though. Just not as hard. b) Sarah leaving Helena behind … not nice, but I guess she was preoccupied with finding Swan Man and also a little fed up with seestra… c) The fart! (“Pi** off, you!”) d) Scott’s info to dr What’shername (so sorry, she just, I can’t connect with her), Delphine?, about the stemcell donor sharing 13 loci with the clones, being a niece or possibly a daughter … so somewhere along the line Dyad’s got hold of Kira’s stemcells and now cloneChild is the key to saving the universe? (… aaaah! serious V moment there for a second! trying hard to unthink it.), but somehow it makes sense insomuch as anything that happens on OB makes any kind of sense… ;) e) I swear, just when Sarah knocked on Swan Man’s door I thought to myself: ‘so what’s all this got to do with Mrs. [door opens] …S!’ and I don’t know if that’s a testament to the show’s writing or my awesome deductive skills… Yeah, okay, that. f) “Sugar. Honey, Sugar. You arrre my kandy (short breath) guUUrl. And you got me wanting yuuu.” (epic! it’s stuck in my head now…) g) The fart!

Is it next Saturday yet? ;)

18. 324B21 says:

Helena and Sarah in the car was just brilliant. Ms. S showing up at the door completely took me by surprise and I loved it. Not quite clear on the “relative of the clone…niece or daughter” thing but I wish they went into it more. I wish they had a little more Cosima too. I actually got a little choked up when she was talking to Sarah and saying how they were stronger together. And later when Sarah was talking to the doctor about how amazing Cosima is but now she’s sick…..gah! Had to grab a tissue.

19. jenferner8 says:

Holy hell what an episode! There was so much going on and so much info. I was so absorbed that when commercial break came it was a shock to realize the show had only been on 10 minutes!

20. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

This was a good ep. loved the Sarah and Helena bonding moments. Helena is killing it right now I hope she slaughter those religious freaks. Plus i’m waiting to see if Alison and Cosima well meet Helena face to face some time in the series. Speaking of Cosima please DON’T KILL HER! She’s AWESOME!

21. Mary says:

Maybe I missed something here but wth is up with Angie trying to get something on Allison? It’s weird and I can’t wait for that storyline to be wrapped up. Angie has been the least interesting character on the show by far.

• tvmama says:

Totally agreed! Can’t wait for Angie to be gone, she doesn’t add anything remotely interesting to the show.

22. Abigale says:

Does anyone else think it strange that they did such an amazing job showing the two Tatianas together in the truck and yet the background image was so horrible? It was so obvious that was fake. What happened? Did they blow all their FX budget showing the twins together? Very unusual for a show that has been outstanding in the special effects department.