All My Children Vet Matthew Cowles Dead at 69; Husband to Christine Baranski

Matthew Cowles Dead Baranski HusbandMatthew Cowles, a two-time Daytime Emmy nominee during his run as iconic All My Children ne’er-do-well Billy Clyde Tuggle, passed away on May 22. He was 69.

Cowles is survived by his wife of 30 years, The Good Wife‘s Christine Baranski, and their adult daughters Lily and Isabel.

Cowles’ manager Tsu Tsu Stanton broke the sad news on Twitter, noting: “[Matthew] was a very gifted and kind man who loved life and everyone.” Onetime AMC headwriter Jean Passanante acknowledged the actor’s passing by hailing “AMC‘s one and only Billy Clyde Tuggle” as “a sweet man and a uniquely talented actor.”

Cowles’ AMC co-star Cady McClain, who played Dixie to his Billy Clyde, tweeted, “So sad. What a lovely man… I adored working with him last year. So kind.”

In addition to his AMC run — which he capped one year ago with an encore during the sudser’s Internet revival — Cowles’ TV resume included ABC’s Life on Mars, Oz, Lonesome Dove, The Bold and the Beautiful (as Curtis Love) and Loving (as Eban Japes).

Born in New York City to Broadway producer Chandler Cowles, his Great White Way credits included Malcolm (1966), The Time of Your Life and Sweet Bird of Youth. The actor also appeared in many films, and worked as a playwright.

1. Colleen says:

Oh, how sad. He was so great on AMC. Wow, I remember seeing him on the online AMC revival last year. RIP. My condolences to his family.

2. leigh says:

May his family find comfort at this time. RIP

3. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

So sad. :( I loved Billy Clyde. My payers to his family.

4. Debbie says:

I always loved Matthew’s character on All My Children as Billy Clyde Tuggle. He was always wreaking havoc on Pine Valley. I only watched the internet series of AMC because they revised his character. I really enjoyed seeing him again. He made me laugh.
    RIP Matthew! May God bring your family comfort.

5. How sad. :(((( My condolences to his family!

6. BTM says:

My condolences to his wife and family. He was an entertainer with both menace and panache.

7. Stacy says:

So sad to hear the news. As Billy Clyde, he portrayed one of my most favorite TV characters of all time. My deepest sympathies to his family.

8. Mia says:

My heart aches for them. That age is too young to ever be prepared for such a loss.

9. Pam says:

So sad to hear of his passing. Mathew Cowles aka Billy Clyde Tuggle was hands down my FAVORITE villian on AMC! It was great to see him again if only for a short time when AMC went online. Prayers for his family at this time.

10. Joe Dog says:

I remember seeing him the first time in Slap Shot as the team’s trainer. Great movie. RIP.

11. ro says:

Aww how sad and 30 yes too. You don’t hear if those marriages lasting long in LA between actors

12. Mick says:

He was the best thing about the online revival of AMC. RIP Matthew Cowles.

13. Barb C says:

so sorry to hear that…..loved him on AMC. I was not aware that he was married to Christine, who is a great Broadway and TV actress….rest in peace Billy Clyde :(

14. Wow! After all I got a weblog from where I be capable of in fact obtain valuable facts regarding my study and knowledge.

15. webly3 says:

It’s always remarkable when a relationship between two stars lasts until death do us part as intended. :( He won’t be forgotten.

16. Jenna says:

Sad news, indeed. RIP. And condolences to his family.

17. Androme says:

Rest in Peace, talented great.
    My condolences to the family.

18. Nathan says:

I had only heard about Billy Clyde from way back when on AMC, so what a treat it was when he popped into All My Children 2.0 What a one of a kind character and that’s because of Mr. Cowles. If AMC had continued I really wanted to see if Billy Clyde could “buy” himself some respectability in Pine Valley.

19. franc hanz says:

You will be missed “billy clyde” you were si much fun to watch on AMC.

20. Barb says:

His Billy Clyde Tuggle was truly a memorable character on All My Children (I was just a kid back then but his portrayal just stuck out). RIP.

21. JM says:

I have always loved Billy Clyde Tuggle. His portrayal always made me cringe and laugh simultaneously. No small feat. He was indeed a very talented actor. RIP.

22. Fran says:

RIP now you are in Heaven with, Palmer Cortland, Phoebe Tyler, Mona, and any other AMC who have passed you can start your own AMC…

23. She was on Live with Kelly & Michael recently talking about her husband and All My Children with Kelly. What a shame. RIP.

24. Lois says:

Billy Clyde – a classic. What a talent and a very good man. RIP

25. Wendy says:

Oh, my God. What a shock! He played Billy Clyde Tuggle to the hilt and was extremely talented. Prayers to his family and friends.

26. Truly one of a kind! Great actor!! R.I.P.

27. Tee Printing says:

Hey! I know this is kind of off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does operating a well-established website such as yours require a massive amount work?
    I’m completely new to writing a blog but I
    do write in my diary everyday. I’d like to start a
    blog sso I will be able to share my experiience and feelings
    online. Pllease let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for brand nnew aspiring
    bloggers. Appreciate it!

28. jp2 says:

Truly one of the best, most unique actors ever. I always enjoyed when he showed up on AMC. Will never forget him. Wish he could have crossed over to GH.

29. Cherik says:

Pick Maggie Siff. Totally deserved

30. Carolyn says:

What a wonderfully gifted actor! He will always be remembered fondly! My thoughts and prayers to his wife, the wonderful Christine Baranski of TGW, and their two daughters! May you rest in God’s peace, Matthew!

31. Jan says:

This is week-old news.

32. Carole Smith says:

So sad for the entire family! I watched Mr. Cowles on AMC for many years. He was a wonderful actor!!

33. TOM TOM says:

Still dead from last week? Get some current news items

34. Nancy Poli says:

I always wondered if and who Christine Baranski was married to. I’m so sorry to read of her husband’s death. I pray for Christine, her two daughters and extended family. RIP Matt (Billy)

35. Fish says:

Hey Yahoo… Update your stories, he died a week ago.. this is old news.

36. linjaynes says:

R.I.P. fine actor ,he will be missed!

37. leah says:

I met him years and years ago in the philadelphia train station. He was on his way to temple he and his wife to see his daughter… I stared at him and then went up to him and said BILLY ClYDE. He instantly went into character. It was the biggest thrill of my life. His wife is beautiful in person. the camera does not do her justice… RIP. Jesus loves you.

38. Jo Loffredo says:

So sorry for your loss Christine & family. I watched AMC for all the yrs. it was on, I thought Billy Clyde (Matthew) was a hoot when he was on it… My thoughts & prayers are with you and your family…

39. donnab40 says:

My sympathies to his wife & family. I was young when he was on but he was the best villian on daytime TV…he was mean and would make you so mad you would want to hit him thru the TV and then the next minute you either felt sorry for him or wearing laughing your butt off. No character like him before or after & his voice was unique as well. He’s in heaven know having a reunion with his other costars….thanks for the many, years of entertainment that you have given us and rest in peace….