Doctor Who's New Season to Premiere in August

ETER CAPALDI as The Twelfth Doctor.Your next Doctor‘s appointment is slated for this summer.

Indeed, Doctor Who will return August 2014 with the newest incarnation of the famous Time Lord, the show’s official Twitter account announced on Friday.

RELATED | Doctor Who Casts Ben Miller as ‘Storming Villain’

Peter Capaldi (Torchwood, World War Z) takes over the titular role from Matt Smith. The Twelfth Doctor’s look finds him “[weaving] the future from the cloth of the past,” the actor previously described. “Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord.”

1. DJ Doena says:

Let’s hope he meets his Master!

2. Matt says:

So 5 episodes in August 5 episodes in August of next year? Sorry I’m just too sarcastic when it comes to Doctor Who scheduling. I know I’m supposed to be excited.

• The Original Original says:

It’s already been established that the split season experiment is a thing of the past. All season 8 episodes will air in 2014.

• DJ Doena says:

You say “all 8 episodes” But seasons since the reboot used to have 13 episode + x-mas special

• Rob says:

Didn’t say “all 8 episodes”. Said “all SEASON 8 episodes.”

• DJ Doena says:

Sorry, my bad.

• The Original Original says:

Thanks, Rob. To be fair to DJ Doena I probably could have phrased that a little more clearly. That said, rumour is that this year it will be 13 episodes total. 12 regular plus the Christmas special. Pretty sure there has been no confirmation either way though.

• MoreThanOriginal says:

Crossing fingers it isn’t as bad as it sounds. Never personally liked the older Doctors. Be nice to see a TV show with what used to be a normal season, September to May. A year or 39 weeks is a very long time to keep fan loyalty. Mine is about gone, especially with all the killing off of companions. It seems to me they are “starting over” and throwing away all the progress they made since 2005 reboot. After being off the air 16 years you’d think they’d think twice about going back to 1989 with the Doctor. You’d think. Fingers crossed whats-his-name will do something good to make up for the loss of the younger Doctors. Hope he doesn’t have a teenager for a companion. Will look like Gramps and the Little Girl.

• Bong says:

Careful. Your ageism is showing, and it’s not pretty. Seems like you only want to see cute young Doctors instead of putting acting ability up there. Maybe you should be watching Baywatch Jr. instead of DW, dearie.

• MoreThanOriginal says:

No need to be smarmy dearie. I have watched Dr. Who in some fashion since it all began and I just offered my opinion that the last two Doctors especially brought out the real meaning and gusto of Dr. Who. Ha ha. Ageism? I’m over 60 and I bet I know more about that than you. Seriously, be civil and give an opinion not attack others. Cheers!

• Bob Smith says:

Season 8 is going to be shown in its entirety this year, wrapping up with the annual Christmas special on Dec. 25th. Stop reading rumor websites. They’re usually inaccurate.

3. Nessie says:

Super excited! Can’t wait to see his take on the character.

4. Bong says:

Don’t diss the scarf! And don’t ever bring Rose back.

Capaldi should be good. Hopefully his presence will get rid of the fickle teenyboppers who watched only because they thought the Doctor was cute. Now he’s distinguished; much better!

• David4 says:

Rose needs to die off screen and be forgotten.

• Sheila says:

Boo to both of you! Rose was great!

• S. says:

I’ll take Rose over River Song any day. I really hope River’s gone and stays gone. Rose and Donna, the two best companions of the new Who.

• Victoria says:

My personal favorite companion was Martha – she was extremely underrated but she was a f*cking star, man. And the Doctor treated her like crap, so I respect that she made the decision to leave him.

I liked Rose and Donna too. And Amy, Clara, and Rory are all cool too. Oh, and Mickey and Jack Harkness are awesome as well! But yeah, River Song is like the one companion I just don’t like.

I feel like they should switch up the doctors instead of them all being a white male. They should get a female doctor! Or like someone who’s not white – just to switch things up a bit!

• David4 says:

Martha’s first episode was amazing, she was amazing. Sadly she just got the weakest season of the show. I personal love Donna, but she got screwed over too. River is a million times better than Rose.

The Doctor will always be male, I doubt BBC will allow them to change that.

• Bong says:

Rose stank hard, but Donna was good.

5. CAN’T WAIT. SO EXCITED.

6. KC says:

This has made my day….Yeah!!!

7. Drew says:

Anyone know when last season will be streaming on Netflix?

8. kd86953 says:

I LEGIT GASPED WHEN I SAW THE HEADLINE. Oh man I am soooooo excited! Even though I miss Eleven something fierce, I’m so excited to see what Twelve can do! (Which is funny because when Ten left, I was in huge denial about it and refused to like Eleven for the longest time. And then duh, he won me over)

9. knd says:

Thank God this withdrawal had been killing me!!!!

10. Bark Star says:

Lets hope the new Doctor will stop the downward slide and we can finally leave the whole Transalore debacle behind us.

11. Pix says:

Can’t wait for a new start after the last two seasons – I mean, I know some fans loved Eleven, but to me he became a symbol for a rapid demise of a beloved franchise, fingers crossed for a successful startover!

12. Ben says:

Looking forward to it. Don’t know what they mean by “Rebel” Time Lord. Maybe they are trying something different. I did not like the regeneration from Smith to Capaldi, as the actual change was too quick.

13. jimmy53 says:

I am so excited for this, but I am not sure how it is going to come across to newer DW fans. People have become very accustomed to the quirky flirty off-beat Doctor, and I am not sure how fans will do with a more straight-laced take on the character.

I for one can’t wait to see what Capaldi can do~

14. DaWhovian says: