Revolution Series Finale Recap: The Journey Is Over -- But Did You Find Enough Closure?

Revolution Series Finale RecapAs NBC’s Revolution wrapped up a two-year run on Wednesday night, it unfortunately was clear that the season ender wasn’t meant to function as a series finale.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

After Miles & Co. save the  townspeople from getting gassed by the Patriots, the President and right-hand man Ed initiate Plan B. Ed takes out his own people and shoots himself in the arm, as well as the President. They blame the attack and their own injuries on Miles, Monroe and their California collaborators, during war on the western commonwealth.

Neville wants to kill the President, but Miles & Co. beat him to the punch, kidnapping the leader in an effort to stop the war. Miles vows to get payback for Jason and all the other lost lives. “You know who makes speeches like that? People who are about to die,” Monroe points out. (Don’t fret, it’s a bit of foreshadowing that doesn’t come to fruition.)

Shortly after grabbing the President, they are ambushed by his soldiers. Miles tells Monroe to take their captive to the rendezvous point. “I’m trusting you,” he says. Rachel and Charlie are understandably dubious that the unpredictable Monroe will show up. “I’ve known him longer than anybody,” Miles replies. “I’m choosing to have faith in him right now.”

Meanwhile, Monroe is having his resolved tested by Connor. Killing the president would make it easier to get the republic back, Connor points out. Monroe agrees it’s a smart move, but he can’t go through with it “because Miles trusted me.” “Miles is not your blood,” argues Connor. “I am. I’m your son. You promised me a future.” Monroe promises to give him one, just not like this, but it’s too late.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

While Connor may have gotten his heart broken by his father, Monroe does come through for his “brother.” Showing up at the rendezvous with the president in tow earns him a “thanks” from Rachel, who has a connection with the leader: He’s her boss’ boss, and she wants to make him pay for everything she’s lost. With the help of Miles’ General buddy Frank, they’re able to lock up the President and break the Patriots’ treaty with Texas, which declares war on the dastardly U.S.

But there’s an even bigger threat out there: the nano. Priscilla finally wakes up and reveals that she saw what the tech is thinking and it’s full of millions of mindless people. If they don’t help it, it’ll just find someone else – and it does, appearing to the President, Ed and Neville (as dearly departed Jason). Their mission, should they choose to accept it, is to go to Bradbury, Idaho, where plenty of zombie-like people are already gathering in The Wasteland. As a season finale — which is what the hour was most likely written as, given how late the cancellation news came — it’s an interesting cliffhanger. But as a series finale, it doesn’t quite pack the needed punch or offer a sense of completion.

Sadly, we also don’t get much closure on the relationship front, aside from a touching heart-to-heart between Charlie and Miles. “I think you and my mom should give it a shot. A real one,” she tells him. “I wish things could have been different for me and Jason. Now we’ll never get a chance. … [You] deserve to run off and be happy together. I’m glad it’s you Miles. I want it to be you.”

Sweet, but do they actually run off together? We’ll never know. At least Miles and Monroe’s bromance remained intact, and nobody’s life was frustratingly hanging in the balance at the end.

Revolution fans, what did you think of the episode? Hit the comments with your thoughts and grade it via the poll below.

1. tina says:

Bring it back!!! Please!!!!!!! I need this show in my life

• Tran says:

Guess we’ll wait until next year for the Heroes reboot to premiere on NBC of course.

• Chris says:

That ending really sucked // i could of lived w/a season finale like that but a series finale ? Seriously /they could have done better …. Like maybe 3-4 more years of this great show / loved it !! –all the way / loved all of the charecters & even the nano too ….hell i could of written a season or two w/all of that material to work with . I really hope some network out there decides to grow a brain & pick this up // damn shame /to all of u actors out there ( if u ever happen to see this ) you guys were great !! –c

• Bob Smith says:

As was mentioned, it was written as a season-ending episode, since they didn’t know up until last week that they were being canceled. Of course it’s a lousy ending. Blame NBComcast. P.S. – it’s *could have*, not *could of*.

• The writers didn’t know that this would be the series finale, so the show you saw last night was the intended season finale – not a series one. The only reason NBC called it the series finale is because they (stupidly and devastatingly) canceled the series. From what I have read, the writers expected to have a 13 episode Season 3 arc, so they continued to write as if the series was continuing on for another season. I thought the finale was phenomenal, and it sets the series up beautifully to be continued. Hopefully, another network/channel/pay-per-view service will pick it up, so that this amazing series can continue!

• Ellen says:

It is so disappointing when good shows are cancelled…3 of the four I was watching… It seems that unless it is a so-called “reality” show, the series don’t make it. I know folks are disappointed by the finales, but we have to remember they don’t know until the end of the season if they are going to be cut or renewed and can’t possibly put together proper endings.

• yurie says:

That crazy hyperbole made me realize how there’s never been a really good post apocalyptic show.

• k. w. says:

Yes. Bring it back! Bring it back! Bring it back! It’s escapist entertainment. Definitely not a “reality” show. Action sci-fi and moral dilemas for all characters.

2. Good season finale… shame the network didn’t give it a chance to end things better.

3. A says:

I hate you NBC. This show got better during season 2.

• Tran says:

Guess they would’ve done the same number of seasons Jericho was over on CBS (remember that show with Skeet Ulrich?). TWO SEASONS TOPS

4. tv2day says:

What an uneventful season finale. Nothing. If what happened at the end with the light thingys bringing people to idaho is where the storyline was going… NBC thankfully put this show out of its misery.

• David4 says:

Yeah this show was aimless.

• Patrick says:

This. They lost me during the long hiatus in S1. Nothing I heard online encouraged me to catch up. I read some write-ups after I bailed, and I was flabbergasted.

They had no idea where they were going. None. It was just like Lost. Great premise and good pilot (Lost’s pilot was one of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen.) But no real long term idea of where the plot was going. The relationship stuff was enough to keep people tuned in, but it was going to bleed viewers going forward.

I always feel bad for fans who lose a favorite show. For their sake, I wish that every show could continue. But this show was lost in the wilderness, with no idea how to go forward.

• Zayne says:

I jumped ship around the same time you did. I was shocked at how aimless the show appeared to be, especially considering its showrunner was Eric Kripke, who created probably the tightest 5 season story arc I’ve ever seen on Supernatural. I had very high expectations of this show because of the people involved both in front of and behind the camera and I was let down in pretty much every way.

• Meredith says:

They lost me during the S1 hiatus too, but then I got hooked on a marathon before S2 started and was sucked back in. So disappointed with this finale. Clearly the writers assumed they were getting a S3.

• David4 says:

I don’t understand how the show could have turned out to be as mindless as it did. It had such a cool idea for a show, and mix in a little sci-fi and it should have been amazing.

Instead the show just jumped all around. I didn’t see every episode, but I saw most and they lost me after the nuclear war and nanos being gods.

5. Dennis says:

come one syfy or Netflix, i’ll even take xbox or hulu. REVIVE!!!!

6. JJ says:

Loved that Monroe did the right thing in the end.

7. Ann says:

I hope this means Giancarlo Esposito will return to Once Upon a Time!

• Eric says:

Or even better, reprise his role as Gus in Better Call Saul! I’d be happy either way though, I watch OUAT too.

• taran63 says:

I don’t know. By this point, Once has enough characters that I’ve never really missed him.

• j says:

I’d LOVE for him to play Gus. That’d be awesome. Or he could guest star again on Community… oh wait. Does NBC get bonus points when they cancel a veteran show without letting it get any kind of closure?

8. Big Mike says:

Remember when this show was about surviving in a post apocalyptic world? Now we got stuff about mustard gas, nanotech taking over people’s bodies, and the kidnapping of the week. It seriously felt like the producers hired new batches of writers for each episode, but didn’t show them any previous episodes of the series. Great concept, terrible execution.

9. Mike says:

For the love of God this show MUST come back…..another network has to rescue it =!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Dan says:

Can we get a postmortem with the creators/stars?

11. Tran says:

Blame it on the series’ ratings. NBC made the biggest mistake by moving Revolution from Mondays at 10 p.m. (a lead-in with The Voice) to Wednesdays at 8 p.m. :-( Really hope that this is still the end for serialized dramas on network TV. Hey at least we got 24 to deal with it (12 episodes for a limited series) and next year the Heroes reboot on NBC (hello).

12. Every lesson is led by a local chef with tons of knowledge.

In separate pan, sauté garlic, onion, and include meat and cook
    for several minute. Ayurveda believes that various materials of vegetable, animal, and mineral
    origin have some medicinal value.

13. Scott Brecht says:

Now that I read this, I don’t have to waste my time on the finale. This season was sooooo terrible and aimless. Not one single interesting storyline.

14. Doreen says:

I loved this show and I am very sad that it got cancelled. The final episode was great. I wish some network would pick it up.

15. Blackfel says:

The finale left two questions unanswered, as far as I’m concerned. The first is, “is Charlie in fact Miles’ daughter”? The second is, “will Charlie and Bass end up together?” I’d love to hear the writers’ perspective on those two points.

• Katherine says:

I’d like to know for sure if Charlie is Miles’ daughter too because it seems very obvious.
      The other question was already answered some episodes ago when Monroe kissed Rachel. He likes and wants Rachel, not Charlie.

• alex says:

“He likes and wants Rachel, not Charlie.” No way.

• Katherine says:

Why no way? We’ve seen Monroe kissing Rachel. He wouldn’t stop kissing her if she kissed him back and didn’t pull away. Monroe’s attracted to her.
          We’ve never seen any hint that he’s attracted to Charlie. Besides, Charlie is all about Jason and sometimes, Connor.

• To me, Monroe kissed Rachel not because he really wants her, but because he wanted to remind and prove to her that she is not the innocent woman she claims to be. If she had kissed him back, it would have solidified, for him, that she had not changed…and was still the woman who would do anything she had to in order to survive. Monroe either wants what Miles has (remember, he took his girl before, and got her pregnant) and/or he wants to ruin Miles’ relationships with others, so that Miles will partner up with him again…bring back their friendship to where it used to be. That’s why, to me, the whole trust aspect of last night’s episode was so important. Miles put his trust in him, and Monroe wanted to prove himself to Miles by not going back on his word. It’s always been about Miles…and their brotherhood, and his wanting to recapture that. I never felt that there was anything between him and Rachel…other than jealousy and hatred…and a shared love and concern for Miles. She was his prisoner, after all…and he was ready to kill her towards the end of Season 1.

As for Charlie…I have always been one who hoped they wouldn’t go there…

• jen says:

I always felt like Monroe’s son was introduced, and as such a look alike, so it was more acceptable for Charlie to sleep with him than Monroe himself.

I gave up on this show this season. I had a back log of episodes to watch and when I saw that it was cancelled, just deleted them all. It jumped the shark in a big way and I’m not even sure when it did it.

16. C Yo says:

probably the best show on TV next to Game of Thrones.. definately bring it back!

17. james says:

NBC sucks this was a awesome show and I never missed it. Not one time now my entire family will not be watching NBC for any reason any more unless the bring back revolution . stupid NBC

18. Jeff says:

The show ended ok considering the late notice of cancellation but what I do not get is why NBC (and ABC with V) would alienate their customers Fox did the right thing with Fringe, air a mini-series finale 6-12 episodes to wrap it up. They’d still get advertisers and they’d still could lure viewers to new shows with using adtime to promote their own shows. Friday night death slot at least

19. I gonna miss this show, season 2 was really good in some points and season 3 would be interesting.

20. Victor says:

That has got to be the most unresolved ending in the history of ever. No resolution in revolution.

21. Tran says:

In my opinion, Revolution deserves a third (and final) season. The ending was 100% disappointment (Bradbury, Idaho with a swarm of zombie like humans coming face-to-face with The Grinning Man a la an ice cream shop) and it didn’t deserve enough of a cliffhanger.

22. kerisia says:

I’m glad this show is over … the series turned into a TV version of “Patriot”, and deviated from the first season. This marks the third TV series from Abrams that has been canceled. Can I get a fourth canceled series from JJ?

• Coal says:

JJ’s shows begin so well, the initial season are fantastic, but by the time they get to the last season they are terrible.

23. Coal says:

So the first 20 odd episodes the enemy was Monroe for kidnapping Danny, then killing him. The next 20 episodes was about defeating the Patriots which they did I guess. Now if season 3 was about going against the nano which was a storyline a majority of people hated then its better left unexplored.

• Bob Smith says:

Um, the whole point of the show was the nano, and not the power-less world they live in. It was always about defeating the nano and turning the juice back on.

24. jr. says:

When the power went out, they seemed to enter a time machine and reentered during the Civil War. Instead of envisioning how a society highly educated would cope and reimagine new sources of power, and how they would be developed and who would control them, they placed the show ‘back in time’.

25. Ava says:

The entire second season is still in my DVR. Moving the show from 10pm to 8pm alienated some viewers, like me, with small kids. 10pm was a much better timeslot IMHO. Loved the cast. Too bad it was cancelled. :(

26. A says:

If NBC didn’t kill Revolution the nanos would have. I’m glad it’s over since they would have continued to beat that dead horse if it had gone to season 3. I would have stopped watching. I’ll miss Monroe the most

27. nate says:

WHAT A CROCK OF HORSE SH*T!!!!! NBC COULD HAVE AT LEAST DID 13 EPISODE FINALE SEASON TO GET IT STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

• Scott says:

It’s not NBC’s fault. It’s the producers fault. NBC, rightly, canceled the show based on ratings. The producers were the ones who decided not to wrap things up knowing full well the series was almost definitely being canceled.

• Bob Smith says:

NOT True, Scott. When the final episode was written and filmed, it was still very much up in the air. The only way they could have done anything differently is if NBComcast told them it was over back in January.

28. Terry says:

This is why I don’t watch but a couple of shows on network tv anymore. I invested two seasons on Revolution only to be left hanging. Way to go NBC

29. Rose says:

I want a season 3!!!!! I want more of Miles and Bass and Charlie working together! I want Charloe to happen!!! I want David Lyons on my Tv!!!!!

• John NYC says:

Not with it closing on a SERIES low. That’s a dead show.

“Revolution‘s series finale (4.2 mil/1.1) added a few eyeballs but dipped a tenth in the demo to tie its series low;”

30. Lea says:

I really wanted charloe to happen!!! I’m just hoping that another network picks up the show!

31. christopher bee says:

Damn you Network, such a gem in the making and you fools let it go. So sorry that Elisabeth Mitchell didn´t get a third Season once more after V.

32. Ken says:

Has to be a 2 hour movie to wrap it up……right? right?? RIGHT??????

33. ken1313 says:

SyFy network needs to buy this show and restart it……

34. Unfortunately this cultivar is not complete
    with a scent, but they are good for cutting to take into the house and do last well in water.
    Is nature making it harder to lose inches around your posterior when compared to
    men. There are many technical causes for the occurrence of the red ring of death, but the top three causes are.

35. Scott says:

The ending made me wish I had never watched any of the series. The producers knew full well that, with the ratings, they were almost assuredly being canceled. To not wrap everything up shows they didn’t care, even a little bit, about the audience and the fans.

36. Dave Elliott says:

in a nutshell NBC suck, I don’t think I’ll bother watching any shows they produce. I couldn’t stand the suspense of waiting for when they cancel.

37. nick says:

Sad thing is, this season actually was better than season 1, but the viewers just fled in droves. The ratings were not good at all, but I didn’t think they were horrible enough to cancel when the show was actually looking better.

38. LisaP says:

I would have been much more satisfied if they had just ended it with the scene between Miles and Charley. While the last 5 minues of the show were a great set up for “next season”, it really did nothing to wrap up the series. I would have been much happier with a couple of more commecials thrown in or even more about how the millions of people in the world live without power and how we can help that cause. I am going to miss this show. I can’t be the only one who feels like all the shows I actually like always get cancelled.

• Ziyal says:

I agree that they should’ve ended with the Charlie and Miles scene. That would have been an easy way to make the season finale into an okay series finale.

39. John says:

how do they expect for rating not to drop when they don’t give it the continuity it has to have? then the Olympics. I liked the show but it was hard to put up with REVOLUTION WILL RETURN ON… NBC sabotaged their own series. but i think it gives us an idea of what may happen when TEOTWAWKI arrives. the militias are already there. the nano was a fascinating element, too bad they killed the series.

40. Katherine215 says:

I didn’t expect much closure, since the finale was shot well before the cancellation. I thought the episode was ok, though not as good as the season 1 finale and some other episodes this season. It felt like there was a lot of character discontinuity (is that a word?) during the last few episodes. Monroe is fed up with Miles & Co, then he’s not, then he is, then he’s not. Connor all the sudden is desperate for Monroe’s affection, when they’d previously been dropping hints that he might be questioning following Monroe.
    The only good spot was Miles and Rachel, and Charlie’s comments to Miles about them. And speaking of Charlie, the promo showed her hugging Connor and that never showed up at all in the episode. And how the heck were Neville and Connor STILL stuck in that barn after several hours?! Kind of disappointing, like the writers knew they weren’t getting renewed and didn’t bother to put much effort into the episode.

41. Annie says:

The show may have gotten better in season 2 – but it never got good. I’m sadly “meh” about its departure. I really wanted to like it more than I did. I tried, guys, I really tried.

42. Ally Oop says:

Such a stupid ending. The episode was great except for the last 5 minutes with the stupid nano army starting. If only the show hadn’t decided to go in that direction. It ruined everything. Now I’m glad the show was cancelled. I wouldn’t have wanted to watch that all play out. Biggest regrets for the show is never finding out if Charlie was Miles’s daughter and that Charlie and Monroe never got together. I’m so angry now. I tried to ignore the nano storyline all season long but it just got worse and worse. RIP Revolution. Thank you for the great characters of Charlie, Monroe, Miles, Rachel, Gene, Connor and Neville. They will be truly missed.

43. jim says:

nbc sucks as usual taking off good shows and keeping junk on if they had left revolutiom in the original slot would have done better how do you keep hanniball on with 2 million viewers coming in 98 place? they renewed it again come on nbc wake up bring revolution back even if its in the summer will bet it will do well nbc also cancelled crisis wit 4 episodes to go idk why they think to do this when they have very few shows worth a crap to begin with bring revolution back you wont be sorry

44. alex says:

NBC really screwed this series. The second season was a huge improvement, but needed some better writing and direction in the second half of the season, but still so much better than most of the shows on tv today and next Fall. The Miles/Charlie/Monroe scenes were my favorite and needed to be explored more especially a Charlie/Monroe arc. I hope another network or Netflix picks it up. It’s a fantastic show and the cast are brilliant together. I won’t be watching NBC again and I’m pretty much done with network tv because of this cancellation. Sticking with Netflix.

45. Stacy says:

I didn’t think the finale failed because the show was bad. I thought it failed because it was supposed to be a SEASON finale, and the ending was filmed as such. The loyal fans, who looked forward to this show every week, from all over the world, were angry. Myself included. NBC made money off all the ad revenue that we, the viewers basically supplied them with, as the companies the advertise are targeting us. And they, NBC, gave us the finger, for probably what will be yet another judge riddled singing show that nobody needs to watch. The ratings were consistent, and may I add, beat out ARROW, which is touted as a hit show every week. Even on its worst week. ARROW lives on for season 3. Revolution deserved that much. And so did we.

• John NYC says:

NBC and the CW (where Arrow resides) have vastly different number goals for a show’s success. Part of what remains of the “broadcast” network business…

• Stacy says:

Yeah, I know they have different number goals. And for the record, watch Arrow on Amazon, because I like the show. Just frustrating for the fans. Makes you wonder if it was on another network, would a third season have been a given, since the ratings were decent and consistent. Bottom line, bummed they cancelled it. Still in denial actually…lol. Back to real life.

46. gos says:

You people… you are so blind, in this movie they were speaking about what really happens in USA today, about the corruption of the government, about the controlling of the countries where they have interests, about the false democracy, about the stupid americans who believe everything the officials tells them, about how they destroyed the twin towers and blamed on talibans, about the one world government, about illuminati That’s why they stop the movie. You are so washed brain, it’s crazy!

• Derrick says:

Yeah, totally…uhh what this guy said? Just kidding. Wanted to love this show, but never quite got there. Ill miss it as a guilty pleasure at first, but I’m not dwelling on its departure for too long.

47. Alan says:

The finale of Revolution was adequate at best, and left you wanting more. Perhaps FX, Showtime or AMC could pick up this show and continue it, in a better time slot, and with less time slot restrictions regarding demographics; then this show could truly flourish. I liked Revolution quite a bit, and saw both Wondercon panels with the cast members, but I always felt that this show was a work in progress, like Jericho-Lite. There is a good story yet to be told, in Bradbury, Idaho. There is a fan base here that will support the show wherever it may move to. And I think most of the cast would come back if given the opportunity.
    If Family Guy, Futurama, Community, Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek can rise from the corpse of cancellation, I see no reason why Revolution could not be revived as well.

48. jed17 says:

Did anyone else get the Stephen King reference….Third season revolved around The Wastelands….the third Dark Tower book….The Wastelands.

• jed17 says:

Wouldn’t it have been mindblowing if the next season ended with a monorail possessed by the nanos…..

• leslie66 says:

Yes from the get go the series reminded me of a combo of his books.I told my husband at end I feel like I just read half of a Stephan King book and someone took it away.

49. vierling2 says:

I would rather have had a Blake’s 7 type ending where all main characters were shot than this POS ending.