Ratings: Bones Finale and 24 Tick Down, Voice and DWTS Rise, Maya Rudolph Is Tops at 10

Ratings Maya Rudolph ShowFox’s Bones closed out Season 9 on Monday night with 6 million total viewers and a 1.6 demo rating (per finals), dipping just 6 percent and a tenth week-to-week but down 19 and 24 percent from its year-ago finale. (TVLine readers graded the episode “A-.”)

Leading out of that, 24: LAD did 5.7 mil and a 1.7, down 12 and 15 percent.

RELATED | Bones Season 9 Finale Recap: The G-Man in the Crosshairs

Over on ABC, Part 1 of the Dancing With the Stars finale (15 mil/2.6) was up 4 percent and three tenths week-to-week. The Bachelorette then returned to 7 mil/2.0, up a tenth versus its year-ago opener (which set a series low leading off the night) yet down sharply from its last time premiering out of DWTS (8 mil/2.6).

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars Season 18 Finals (Part 1): Did the Right Star Go Home?

NBC’s The Voice (11.5 mil/3.2) added some viewers plus two tenths in the demo week-to-week. The Maya Rudolph Show‘s try-out (7.2 mil/2.1) bested the she-Bach and a Criminal Minds rerun in the 10 o’clock hour. (What are your early thoughts on Maya’s variety show? I possibly had too great of expectations and wish it had been about 25 percent funnier/stronger. But bless Kristen Bell’s gung-ho contributions!)

RELATED | The Voice Top 3 Performance Recap: Set Fire to the Stage, Watch It Burn!

CBS’ Friends With Better Lives (5.1 mil/1.6) was steady, while the Mike & Molly finale (7 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth week-to-week but was on par with its previous finale (which aired on a Thursday, ‘member).

1. Joe says:

Agree re: Maya Rudolph Show. I expected so much and felt like about half of it was a huge letdown.

• The Beach says:

I really like Maya Rudolph so it pains me to say that I thought it was awful. The opening number was very dated and wasn’t performed well and the subsequent skits just didn’t fly. I hope it got better but I changed the channel 20 minutes in.

• Kim R says:

I have to agree, but I hate to say it. I was trying to put a finger on what it was. Too much singing? Some of the sketches felt unfinished perhaps? I loved her guests but the show as a whole kind of was a dud. :(

• LOL says:

The show was a disappointment. The sketches felt like afterthoughts and were undercooked at best. I think this actually has potential, though. It’d be nice if they re-tooled it a bit (better comedy, less singing) with better writing.

2. Stormy says:

The worst thing [IMO] about the Maya Rudolph Show was Maya Rudolph. Although it was pretty badly written as well. The best thing was Sean Hayes. He’s a natural to play Prof. Harold Hill in NBC’s upcoming production of The Music Man. I hope they cast him.

3. Coal says:

Rookie Blue is back, God bless Canada for that. Looking at 24’s numbers I wonder if people’s tastes have changed or is the Nielsen rating system outdated ? I know its important for networks and advertisers, but is it a reliable measuring stick ?

• LK says:

I’ve had questions about the reliability of Nielsen’s system for awhile.

• Lim says:

Nielsen is as reliable as it ever was. It measures what it is supposed to measure.

• Coal says:

It was works for the homes that it monitors. It is fairly obvious that if you live in a Nielsen household you viewing habits are different from a person that doesn’t. If you are part of the Nielsen sample there is a need for to watch shows live, while outside of that sample you can watch your favorite shows at your own time.

• Pat says:

Nielson does what it always does, which is the problem because people no longer watch tv how they always did. Outdated system.

• TV Gord says:

It’s not correct to say “it is fairly obvious”, especially if you are comparing it to people who comment on message boards, which is a small fraction of the cross sample of people who are part of Neilsen households.

• Katherine215 says:

@Pat It’s not an outdated system, when advertisers are paying networks based on live viewers. You can argue that viewers’ habits have changed, and you can argue that networks should find a way to monetize in response to that. But they haven’t, and so the Nielsen system is still used. My biggest problem with Nielsen is the ridiculously small sample size: 25,000 households are Nielsen houses, out of an estimated $115 million households.

• Arie says:

I’m a Nielsen household and I watch shows on my own time. That’s what the +3 and +7 is for.

• Jackson says:

@Pat – no, Nielsen is not outdated. It is not a popularity contest to measure how many people watch a show. It’s purpose is to measure how many people watch the commercials. If you are not watching the broadcast live then you aren’t watching the commercials and therefor you don’t count.

• Coal says:

Now riddle me this, if you are a Nielsen household and you don’t watch shows live, but data is captured according DVR preference and released on a daily bases is that an accurate system ? You might even delete those episodes without watching them, but the information that’s out there is that you did.

• Dragonfly says:

@Jackson, how can you say it is not outdated? They have a small sample of households who watch shows live, but what about the internet? When you are watching the episode online on the websites there are mandatory commercials too. People watching habits are changing and they should think of a new system to measure and put the commercials in.

• TV Gord says:

Regardless of whether it’s outdated, it’s the system we have. It’s the system that matters.

4. Tricia says:

I’d watch Maya Rudolph do ANYTHING. So needless to say, I’m in for more of her show. I’m glad people tuned in.

5. wrstlgirl says:

Not sure what’s happening with 24’s numbers but the show is just fabulous. It hasn’t missed a beat since it’s been gone.

6. cjeffery7 says:

i could do with more of The Maya Rudolph Show. obviously it’s not a format we’ve seen in a LOOONG time, so honing it to the modern audience (without looking exactly like SNL w/ all the alums and cameos) is going to be a process.

7. Lori says:

You shared my thoughts on Maya’s show. I thought there were some very funny parts, but it definitely wasn’t as funny or as strong as I expected, especially given the talent that was there. If this became a series, I would be interested in seeing what it would be like. I wonder if it would incorporate so many celebrities.

8. anon says:

Bones got a 1.6 this time last week too. And it got upticked to a 1.7 in final numbers. I expect the same to happen again, later…though it did really good going against The Voice and DWTS finales. Which it did not have to face last week.

9. Donna says:

I gree. My hopes were very high for Maya’s show and was terribly disappointed. The talent couldn’t overcome the weak sketches.

10. Frankie says:

I thought it was a good first-run for Maya Rudolph’s variety show. Not perfect, but I think if given the chance to do it again (or more!), it would get better and better. Everything needs a little time to find it’s bearings.
    I would love it if NBC had it like once a month or something, sporadically throughout the season. Weekly episodes might be too much and quality might not be as great with the time to churn out material (see: SNL. maybe a handful are actually great in a season).
    But I love Maya and hope she gets to do it again! :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I believe Maya has been out there saying “weekly” is out of the question, so yeah, maybe occasional/seasonal “filler.” Like the old Bob Hope specials. #ImOld

• Frankie says:

Oh, I wasn’t aware, good to know. Thanks Matt!

• c-mo says:

Oh good because weekly would be waaaaaay too much. As long as the quality of a Bob Hope-esque show is there then even that would be too much. I watched part of the show but had to turn it off because it was just so dumb. Maya said, during her Voice interview that Kristen Bell killlllllled it and I totally agree, she was the best part of the show…well, she and Sean Hayes. Oooh here’s an idea, NBC, share the hosting duties between the three, Maya, Sean and Kristen since all three of them would draw completely different guest stars.

11. Sarah says:

Dang it. I really wish Bones would have went up or at least been flat.

12. Mick says:

I love Maya Rudolph so I had high expectations. I thought it was dull and boring though. It was like the writers for SNL did the show since it’s bad so unfunny most of the time too.

• I really really wanted to like it says:

Ditto to that Mick. Definitely had the feeling that the horrible current writing staff of SNL moonlighted on the Maya Special. I love her and so wanted to love the show but it was not funny. Kristen Bell brought great energy and I liked seeing the old variety show format again but they need to upgrade that writing staff.

13. GuessWhat says:

Maya’s show was just ok. it really just felt like the 3rd night in a row of SNL — after the season finale Saturday night and ladies of SNL special Sunday night. especially with all the ex-SNL cast members as guests. getting a little tired of the SNL-saturation. she made me laugh with her GPS impersonation.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I loved the idea of the GPS lady, but did anyone else think her voice sounded dubbed…? I know Maya’s a good mimic, but something about it sounded artificial.

• Stormy says:

To me, she seemed to be trying to straddle a line between Carol Burnett and Barbra Streisand in Hello Dolly. Not easy to do and since she has neither Barbra’s singing chops nor Carol’s charisma, it fell flat. Combine that with dismal writing and the unappealing Andy Samberg and it was all she wrote.

14. tara17 says:

I enjoyed the Maya Rudolph show very much. That lullaby at the end with Chris Parnell was lovely.

15. Julie says:

Regarding 24, I think a lot of people are watching it online and/or delayed through the DVR. If you look at iTunes, it has been the consistent number 1 show for the series downloads and the next day, the current episodes are always at the top. I’m hoping that is taken into account when they consider another ‘season’ of 24. Makes me nervous though!

16. ME says:

I was a little disappointed with Maya’s show. I liked the opening number. I thought Maya, Sean Hayes and Kristen Bell were great throughout. I thought most of the bits fell flat though. I like the doctor bit w/ Samberg and I had to chuckle at the goofy “Y” and “Z” conversation that took place in the audience during the MAYA song. Janelle Monet was good as always.
    I think they could learn from this and come back with a stronger show. Also, I would like to see her bring back some of the SNL woman that we haven’t seen in a while.

17. lucy says:

I think the show could work as a filler thing…but not in it’s current format. It was way too “SNL-y”, and as others have mentioned, for the talent it was terribly disappointing. If it’s going to be a more frequent thing it needs to be more differentiated from other offerings, and it actually needs to be good.

18. The Mangina Monolgues says:

I also had high expectations for Maya Rudolph’s show. She can make anything entertaining but this was very weak. The writing (as with all Lorne Michaels efforts) was the culprit. Where were her celebrity impressions? (Beyonce, Oprah, Donatella, Whitney) I would also like to see more of a Carol Burnett type format with a supporting cast and only one or two celebrity friends. I’m glad it did well in the ratings but Maya deserves better material.

19. DL says:

Can’t help but think Maya’s show should get more benefit of the doubt. It was the first outing, after all. Even if it wasn’t busting a gut funny all the time (though sometimes it was), it kept a smile on my face pretty much throughout. I’m sure subsequent specials will improve on this first show, having the opportunity to hone the format and see what did and didn’t work in front of an audience this time around.
    Then again, being that I didn’t go in with particularly high expectations, perhaps that explains my rosy view and positive response to the show.

20. Don J says:

Yeah those overnight ratings for 24 don’t tell the whole story. Fox actually sent a tweet yesterday saying that episode 3 jumped from 2.0 to 2.8 in live plus 3 ratings counting on demand and DVR. The live overnight ratings are so archaic.

21. djariya says:

From what I heard a lot of 24 fans binge watch the show and save episodes in batches to watch together. It wouldn’t surprise me if some people are recording all 12 episodes to watch after the season is done. IMO, there are definitely a lot more people watching 24 than those ratings are leading you to believe.

• wrstlgirl says:

Gotta admit that is an excellent way to watch it. It’s like one long action movie :-) I record and watch at the same time so I can go back later and watch the whole thing again sometime. It’s amazing the little things you miss because the show is so fast paced most of the time.

• Pat says:

Yep, a ton binge watch as that is how new fans found it and watched it. I watch 2 episodes at a time, keep one and then watch two the next week.

22. Julie says:

I may have missed this somewhere, but is The Maya Rudolph Show an actual series or was that a one time special?

23. Kris says:

24 was absolutely brilliant last night.

24. Katherine215 says:

Can I just say, I loved the Warehouse 13 finale. I don’t know what it was that made it feel so sentimental and sweet, but I just really enjoyed it. Maybe just seeing how the Warehouse affected them and how much they’d miss it made me realize how much I’m going to miss that show. I thought it was very well done. Good bye, Warehouse 13!!

25. Jack says:

Ditto your Warehouse 13 comment Katherine, it was the only& best thing on my tv last night! I definitely wish we were getting more of that show than 90% of network programming but alas the execs are cruel that way. A movie or miniseries or 24 like return would be so awesome:)
    Glad 24 fans are loving the new eps.

26. dman6015 says:

Maya Rudolph – OOFAH! I had high hopes, but it looked and felt like a mediocre SNL show.

27. David says:

Maya Rudolph is too talented to not have a show on tv. Last night’s show could work off and on but wasn’t bad like people are making it or to be! She would do so well with a late night show. I watched her on Seth Meyers last week and his whole show was horrible. If I was CBS I would scoop her up for the late late show.

28. Pat says:

I watched the Maya Rudolph Show, today. One thing that was really bad about the skits was that you could tell they were reading off the prompters. That makes for poor viewing especially when whoever they were suppose to be talking to instead of looking at them their eyes were on the prompter. Andy was one of the worst at this. I would just give it an OK. The entertainment part of the show was pretty good.

29. Marilyn says:

Reading off cue cards is a staple of live TV comedy from Carol Burnett to Maya Rudolph. That didn’t bother me at all. I got a kick out of the skits, but honestly, I could have used more skits and less singing. I could have used at least 2 less song segments. It felt more like a musical with speech added for variety. Love Maya and her supporting cast… I mean really, how could you do better than them? Great group though Maya, where the woman in the supporting cast? 3 guys. Come on girl. I give it a 6.5-7.0. I do like the idea of the genre.. so here’s wishing it good luck and great ratings for the future.

30. adam says:

I enjoyed most of The Maya Rudolph Show, but one question was on my mind, why hasn’t Kristen Bell ever hosted Saturday Night Live.

31. Celeste says:

The Maya Rudolph Show was just plain awful :/ I think my expectations were too high.

32. Jinko says:

Agree with Celeste’s comment. So disappointed. If that is the best they can do, the show should be canceled now. Love Maya, but was embarrassed for her and her co-stars.