The Voice Top 3 Performance Recap: Set Fire to the Stage, Watch It Burn! [Updated]

Josh Kaufman Signed Sealed delivered the voiceYou know what’s as American as the tire flaps on Blake Shelton’s pickup truck? Armchair quarterbacking tonight’s Top 3 performance episode of The Voice.

To that end, let me register a handful of gripes. How come Usher assigned The Police’s “Every Breath You Take” — a song that’s wearing thinner than Mixology‘s welcome in the post-Modern Family timeslot — to his guy Josh Kaufman, and then kept D’Angelo’s epic, sexy “Untitled (How Does It Feel)” for himself and Adam Levine?

Speaking of Adam, why did he greenlight Christina Grimmie’s arrangement of “Can’t Help Falling in Love” — which sounded tailor-made for the inside of Celine Dion’s Vegas-stage humidity bubble — when he’s spent the entire season painting her as the cool R&B chick who’s ready to snatch Katy Perry’s diva crown (no Auto-Tune required)?

And as for Blake Shelton — the only other coach with a horse in the race — well… actually, Blake never really hits a false note. Oh sure, his fella Jake Worthington is clearly the Contestant Voted Least Likely to Embody the Show’s Title, but when you close your set dueting with Mr. Shelton on “A Country Boy Can Survive,” a good segment of the audience is going to chow down like one of Tom Colicchio’s four-star restaurants just instituted an all-you-can-eat menu.

OK, now I’m sounding about as enthusiastic as Shakira telling Christina that she’s “the one with the highest register in the competition.” (Um, Shaki, she’s also the sole remaining female!) And while tonight’s nine performances showed our Season 6 warriors are probably suffering from a bit of vocal fatigue, there were certainly enough good moments to make the two hours breeze easily by. So let’s jump directly to letter grades, shall we?

Christina Grimmie: “Wrecking Ball” — Grade: B+ | I have a dream… that some day, some reality singing competition producer will outlaw song reprisals during the course of a season — seeing how recreating the first-time magic is next to impossible. Case in point: Christina’s “Wrecking Ball” audition was pretty much note perfect; tonight’s encore — which ran a full 3:20 as opposed to an abridged 1:40 in the Blinds — wasn’t quite as clean, with some flat notes on the first instance of “wre-eh-eh-cked me,” a weird mid-performance crouch that felt as random as a Voice SkyBox interview and a set of late-in-the-performance ad-libs to which Shakira and Usher called attention with their lack of effusive praise. I don’t mean to start a war, Grimmie fans: 80-85 percent of this vocal was powerul and on-point, but like the second rabbit pulled from the magician’s hat, the overall effect was more “oh” than “OHHH!”

Josh Kaufman (& Usher): “Every Breath You Take” — Grade: B | Usher implied that he selected The Police’s classic stalker anthem because he hopes to be involved with Josh’s singing career for years to come, and if you ignored lines like “every bond you break” and “my poor heart aches,” the sentiment was kind of sweet. Still, despite a sweet vocal blend toward the end of the track, the bulk of the performance felt more like it was coming from two talented but underrehearsed fellas trading lines on a ditty in which neither one was fully invested.

Jake Worthington: “Don’t Close Your Eyes” — Grade: B+ | Jake’s reprise of his Blind Audition anthem was sneaky-smart (and arguably the most enjoyable of Round 1). The romantic ballad played up showcased the tender gruffness of Jake’s tone, didn;t push too far outside his limited range, and best of all, painted him in a more adult light than the “golly-gee, how’d I get here?” kid of his interview packages. If that wasn’t enough, the song choice gave Blake an opportunity to name-check the late Keith Whitley — and once again tie his contestant to a tradition of ’80s-era “real music” that plays to the nostalgia receptors of the show’s not-exactly-teen-centric audience. Don’t close your eyes, and you might see this one climbing the iTunes singles chart.

Josh Kaufman: “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours” — Grade: A+ | I’ll admit I was initially aghast that Josh’s fans voted to have him reprise one of the more old-fashioned ditties of his Voice Season 6 run, but like an eagle-eyed nun faced with an unruly 4th-grader, Josh schooled me, and schooled me hard. The guy’s got an eye-popping number of weapons in his vocal arsenal, and yet he never pulls ‘em out just to show off. Every burst of falsetto, every growl, every melodic dip (“that’s why I know you’re my heart’s desire”), even the scat-like way he rattled off the “got my future in your hands” ad-lib, was selected and executed perfectly. Josh effortlessly drove home the effervescent joy of the lyric — and built a larger vibe of musical jubilation alongside the rockin’ horn section. Yes, he’s got his future in our hands, Voice addicts. Let’s hope we handle our responsibility well.

Christina Grimmie (& Adam Levine): “Somebody That I Used To Know” — Grade: A (only for Christina, though) | Biggest surprise of the night? Adam’s noticable pitch probelms on the opening vese of Gotye’s ubiquitous breakup ditty. Christina, on the other hand, mixed tissue-paper delicacy and grittier tones to drive home the track’s tricky mix of regret and disdain and sarcasm. (Her harmonies were, to my ears, some of the best we’ve ever heard from a Voice contestant.) It’s a testament to the excellence of Christina’s performance, in fact, that I’m even considering a download of a tune that reached Kardashian levels of unwelcome ubiquity just a couple years back.

Jake Worthington: “Right Here Waiting” — Grade: C+ | Like a toddler contemplating a full bowl of vegetales, Jake never fully dug in to this ’80s pop smash. Yeah, he put a little bit of twang on it, but there was a monotony to the delivery — a total aversion to dynamics, not to mention some incredibly stilted phrasing — that made it one of the country kid’s least exciting performances all season. And making matters even worse, dude slipped out of the pocket on several occasions. Blake, who gets a gold medal for get-out-the-vote strategizing, declared Jake one of the most “honest, sincere narrators of a lyric” that he’d ever seen on the show, at which point the words “honest” and “sincere” texted their friends “milquestoast” and “awkward” and asked them to house-sit that sentence.

Jake Worthington (& Blake Shelton): “A Country Boy Can Survive” — Grade: C+ | Yowza. The verse on this duet was pitched wayyyy too low for Jake’s comfort zone, leading to a series of questionable notes that continuously pulled my attention away from the lyrics and into questions along the lines of, “How exactly didd this dude outlast Sisaundra Lewis?” #sadbuttrue

Christina Grimmie: “Can’t Help Falling in Love” — Grade: B- | It’s probably not fair to judge Christina against a performance from two weeks ago on American Idol, but it’s also pretty valid. I mean, not only did Jena Irene have one of Idol‘s biggest Season 13 moments with her piano-driven twist on this gentle Elvis ballad, but she was first to hit the market, too, casting a “been there, done this” vibe to Christina’s cover. Worse, though, was all the fog and strings and showy glory notes for Christina’s performance — signifying not much of anything. Well, except for this contestant seems to be very different from the one who killed it a few weeks back on iTunes with covers of Lil’ Wayne and Drake. OK, to be fair, she hit the notes with missle-like precision, and the a capella intro showcased the prettiest part of her tone, but the end result resulted in an unfortunate Vegas lounge makeover (figuratively speaking).

Josh Kaufman: “Set Fire to the Rain” — Grade: B- | Like your favorite short-sleeved summer shirt at the back of your closet, “Set Fire to the Rain” made sense on paper for Josh. But once he slipped it over his head and tried to button it up, it turned out the fit was Rated N…for No Bueno. Yeah, there were flashes of haunting regret and beauty, but too often the high notes seemed a half-step out of Josh’s range, rendering his tone shrill and tight and not altogether pleasant. Usher, though, having learned that coach hyperbole is a key element in winning, leapt to his feet and delivered a solid stump speech. “It cannot happen that this guy does not win The Voice!” he shouted, and in this case, I cannot disagree.

SHOULD win: Josh (with Christina as runner-up)
WILL win: Josh (with Christina as runner-up)

What did you think of the Top 3? What were your favorite two performances? Who will win? Who should win? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments! And for all my reality TV-related news, interviews and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. :( says:

Uh oh looks like Jake’s ranking high on iTunes all ready.. This could get ugly.

• Quinn Carson says:

No iTunes bonus this week though. I really don’t know who’s gonna win.

• analythinker says:

Oooh, I didn’t know that, that’s a great sound to my ears!

• Terry says:

I’ve been rooting for Josh all season but I have to say that Set Fire to the Rain was dreadful. Oh well, at least now when Christina or Jake wins I won’t feel as bad as I might have.

• Julia says:

I also thought it wasn’t Josh’s best performance vocally but he was so genuinely emotional when he sang it live that I wanted to support him if the recording was decent so I listened to his itunes recording of it. It was amazing. I bought it. Have a listen.

• Luciana says:

It would have been great, but he performed it full out all the way through, and it got monotonous. Should have started out quiet, and built it up. Shame on you, Usher.

• Tyler says:

Agree. Unfortunately, I didn’t care for Josh’s performance of the Adele song either. Maybe if he changed up the arrangement then it would’ve been better. It sounded like he was trying too hard to sound like Adele and didn’t quite pull it off. t never thought I’d say this, but I thought Josh sounded “shout-ty” on it and Christina didn’t on the Elvis song. Plus, I liked Christina’s arrangement of the Elvis song. One positive thing I will say about Josh’s performance is that Jake could take a lesson from it on how to sing with emotion. For a storyteller, he sure sings all of his songs the same way.

• RedInDenver says:

I don’t think Usher is a very good mentor. Why would he pick “Every Breath You Take” for Josh; and why would he tell him not to worry about being technically perfect for “Set Fire …”, and to focus on being as emotional as possible? Bad choices, bad advice ….

I hope these contestants have the ability to push back against their mentors (Adam’s song choices for Christina and Kat a couple of weeks back, for instance) and also learn they may need to take their mentor’s advice with the proverbial grain of salt.

• Jemmabrie says:

Ohhh god i hope not! I’ll drop down to my knees and cry!

• LDM says:

Jake is tearing up iTunes. I don’t get it. I can’t believe he could win. Mediocre vocally. Pandering overwrought song choices. Blake is great but Jake is not stellar vocally and 10 other singers were better.

• DarkDefender says:

Not to mention Cristina is nothing but a glory note singer who can’t get through and entire song with screeching in her upper register (and has an unfair twitter advantage). By all rights Josh should win. But I’m guessing between twitter and the producers pimping Christina will win… Especially if the iTunes sales advantage is taken away from Jake.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That’s not fair. Her sotto voces are really pretty. I think Christina’s voice is beautiful in the more tender moments. But I agree Josh should win.

• shawnuel says:

I think her voice is OK in tender moments. It is pleasant but completely void of character and pathos. But the overuse of screechy glory notes just kills any fondness I could have for her.

• Tyler says:

I thought Christina’s performance of Can’t Help Falling In Love was one of her best performances of the season. I was never a Christina fan, but I did like that performance. And, no, Michael–I didn’t see it on Idol a couple weeks ago. I stopped watching that show faithfully over a year ago so I wouldn’t know.

• RedInDenver says:

I agree. Jake seems like a really sweet guy; and has a pretty good voice; but if the show actually is a vehicle to determine who has the best voice/performance, Jake should have been sent home a couple of weeks ago. The only conclusion I can come to is that there are a lot of country fans voting for Jake.

• Angela Oehley says:

Jake is young and has an excellent country voice. Blake saw it and he mentored him. He coached him and Jake gave it his best. Focus on the good in these competions.

• JT says:

If Josh loses, I blame Usher. Doing that Adele song which has been done to death on these singing shows is a rookie mistake (by a second yr. judge). Blake saved his BEST picks for Jake for the last 2 weeks when it really counts. Jake may not be the best singer of the three, but he definitely got the 3 BEST songs for his voice tonight.

I just hope Grimmie doesn’t win. Am so tired of all the shrieking divas of the past decade. Let’s get back to singing the song and lose all these vocal affectations.

• Tyler says:

I don’t care who wins as long as it isn’t Jake. I just don’t see what’s so great about him. He has hardly any range. Half of the time, he’s pitchy. He sings with hardly any emotion or feeling. To me–all of his performances sound the same. Can you really tell the difference between Right Here Waiting and Everything I Do (I Do It For You)?

• Howard says:

The reason he might win is because he’s a country singer. Keep in mind that incredibly high number of brainless, talentless idiots in this nation, especially the Southern rural part of it.

• Howard says:

I’m speaking of Jake of course

• teacher says:

I really wish people would stop making comments based on geographic location. There are plenty of ‘brainless, talented idiots’ in every part of the nation. Southern and rural, btw, are completely different.

• Nmjones says:

To everyone talking crap about “country people” just remember that we are the reason you have food on your table every night and the reason our country is great. Think twice before you talk smack about us country people. Jake is a heck of a singer and just because y’all like that rap crap doesn’t mean he’s a bad singer. He’s the best out of those three! GO TEAM JAKE!!!

• Justin says:

I’m so tired of these ignorant comments. Brainless? That’s why over half of the western states are going bankrupt. Keep voting former celebs to run the states. Great non “brainless” idea. I’ll take these god fearing, american loving, gun touting, give you the shirt off their back people any day. I’ve lived in many states, and i’ll take the south any day.

• 1966 says:

You are sick. These people you are speaking of are the backbone of the nation. Where would you be if it was not for these hard working people growning the food to put on your table and making the products you use to make you life easier. Let’s see you get along without these people.

• Betty says:

Not to mention that half the time you can’t understand what Jake is singing because he mushes all the together. No Mush Mouth for the win.

• I agree – I have no idea how he got to top 3 – all blake’s followers plus county folk I guess. I love country music and listen to it constantly, but he would get booted out of any karaoke bar anywhere. I don’t understand it one bit….

• Tammy says:

you know someone keeps voting for this kid … makes me wonder if Blake’s Army won’t pull through for him. I have been pulling for Josh since the beginning but who knows what is going to happen.

• jaxguy says:

the scary part is Christina and Josh could split the vote and the country voters carry Jake over the top. I don’t like to trash the kids on these shows but the reality is Jake shouldn’t have been in the final 10 or 12. There were better singers and, I hate saying this, he’s mediocre at best. But if he gets a contract he will probably sell like crazy because the charts are full of male country singers just as vanilla as him.

2. USC says:

Come on Josh and Usher! Most talented and most likable pairing this year. Usher really has coached the hell out of his team.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Not tonight though, Fire to the Rain was an awful choice for Josh it did not suit him at all.
      Usher could scream and yell all he wants and so can Adam, but both his final song and Christina’s final song were awful, and sadly enough, Jake is probably going to win The Voice and if that happens they should just put the show to sleep for a year.

• Ed says:

I thought Christina’s final song was good, Josh’s not so much. They were both singing out of their comfort zone, she just sang better. Jake’s not gonna win, so don’t worry.

• Jemmabrie says:

Ohh i hope you’re right ed!:)

• Tyler says:

Agree. I liked Christina’s performance of the Elvis song too. Actually, I thought it was one of the best of the night.

• Janet says:

Go look or rather listen to Celine Dion’s cover of the Elvis song. (it’s on youtube)

• Emma says:

It wouldn’t surprise me if Jake won. It wouldn’t surprise me at all.

• Bigcountry35 says:

Sorry to say this and I won’t put anyone down he’ll I couldn’t do what they are doing but face the music Jake is going to win for every download is multiplied by 10 and he has been on top every week placing in the top 10 and even number one a few weeks in a row on itunes so I am sorry to break the bad news to y’all he is the winner.

• Davey says:

But Jake’s song wasn’t good either. He almost put me to sleep.

• Tyler says:

It’s called singing monotone. Which is kind of ironic since country music is supposed to tell a story. Jake reminds me of a teacher I had in elementary school who read a story in the same monotone voice every day. She brought no life to the stories at all. Jake is the same way.

3. While I definitely don’t think Jake should win, he’s definitely the most improved of the season. Give that kid another year under Blake’s belt and he really could be something. Still #TeamJosh though.

4. Angie_Overrated says:

Christina sounded like a poor man’s Mariah Carey during that Elvis cover. Sad. She’s a talented girl, but that performance was meh^infinite power. I did love that final minute or so of Wrecking Ball.

• Kaba says:

Why did this make me laugh so damned hard?
      Lol, I love your commentary Angie.
      That being said, tonight’s a rum night. This will be an irritable finale I believe

• Angie_Overrated says:

I just couldn’t help but wonder what Kat or Sisaundra would have done in the finale. These three kind of flailed around, and not for lack of talent. It was just…. weird. I don’t quite understand what happened. I was so happy with this season of The Voice until tonight. This was simply not good. Now AI and The Voice suck. [Opens bottle of Sierra Nevada Double IPA]

• Kaba says:

I wouldn’t rank tonight AI levels of bad..if was take Jake far out of the equation.
          Josh’s final song…lol the vocals were just not up to par with his usual standards.
          But I was pretty mesmerized by the staging so I’ll let it pass.

• analythinker says:

I think no matter how Josh chose to zig in and zag out of the lines of the song, it just doesn’t fit his voice. AT. ALL. At least to me. I HAVE to wonder WHY that song, though. From the rehearsal, I could already tell it would not be good… oh well…

The studio version is equally weird, it’s not in the pocket at all. I know everyone records the instruments separately, but they all have metronome each time, no? Maybe someone stole it from the studio, heh. (This has happened with other recordings as well, James Wolpert’s A Case of You came to mind.)

• MSJ4321 says:

Agreed that the song choice didn’t fit for him. It’s such a straight power ballad. It’s the swooping, swirling, growling, falsetto things Josh can do with his voice that makes him awesome. I am not a fan of straightforward belting as loud as you can (hello Grimmie) and it didn’t work for him. That said, we all know how he can sing and he still has my vote, by far.

• JM says:

Wow. I loved all of Josh’s performances, including ‘Set Fire to the Rain’. I thought he sang it very differently than she did. Hers is more angry, and his was more filled with pain and anguish. I really felt it.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I really like Josh. A lot actually. But I couldn’t get behind his first and last songs. I thought he made Usher sound like poop, which kudos to him, but as a duet it didn’t work. The Stevie Wonder song we are definitely on the same page. Adele? :( Didn’t like it. I don’t like the way the song sat in his upper register. The whole thing felt weird (for lack of a better word).

• katie c. says:

If last night performances were for the money…..usher picked songs that did not fit both joshs voice or personality. Such a tender soul would have benefited from singing a tender song..he is not a screamer….just hope he wins. He has earned it……Christina is always pouting..beautiful voice but immature

• bobsaccamanna says:

Angie, don’t you think that Set Fire to the rain was just the absolute wrong song choice for Josh. And as much as I want Christina to win, you are spot on about her Elvis cover, it was just so bland. and not a great arrangement.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Horrible, Bob. Horrible. It’s a woman’s song! Not to say you can’t ever do gender cross over whatnot, but Adele songs don’t work for a man’s voice. I’ve never once heard a dude do justice to Adele.

• Mister says:

Personally, I don’t even think that Adele does justice to Adele.

• bobsaccamanna says:

Wow what a letdown the whole night was in my opinion, there was not one performance that even remotely blew me away. I hate the idea of reprising a song from earlier in the season, I don’t think I have ever heard it sound better the second time around for anyone. Christina’s blind audition on Wrecking Ball was magical, tonight, like you said “meh”

• danin says:

Sometimes Usher’s taste is for sheeit.Tho I thought Josh gave it his all and really dug in for the final 3rd of the song.

• Emma says:

He was definitely all in on the performance but it just didn’t sound good which for me is more important than performance. I hope he can still pull out the win based on his entire season.

• The Beach says:

I agree so hard with you on that one. She took a very simple song with a lovely melody and turned it into “Look at me, I’m going to blow you away with all my vocal acrobatics”. I didn’t believe one second of what she was singing. Ridiculous!
      I also think that was an unfortunate song choice for Josh to close the show with. I loved when Adele did it (well, at least the first 1000 times I heard it) but it was just not a good fit for his voice. I’m still voting for him to win though.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Uh huh. I’m beside myself, Beach. This just wasn’t good. It was Ariana Grande’s voice after LSD with Angie Miller’s level of “conviction” of the lyrics = supreme “meh.”
        I almost don’t care who wins tomorrow. I guess I want Josh to win, but at this point I’m glad it’s over. So much promise and this is what we were left with in the finale. Blech!

• Davey says:

You will not be happy if Jake wins, promise me. I didn’t hate tonight at all. Though I found the judges singing songs together distracting from the competition.

• Jemmabrie says:

Angie i’m new on this board and i love your commentary and i’d love to hear what you thought of the performances tonight? And who you think will take the whole thing? I know this is already over and done but knowing your a kat and sissaundra (sis) fan who would your ideal top be for this season! It would be grewt to hear your perspective!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Not Jake. [shrug?] I’m so sad. I think Christina and Josh are very talented people with Josh having a more native ability to sing, so I guess Josh? Neither lived up to their potential tonight though. They’re both so much better than what we saw tonight.
        And thanks for your kind words. Very much appreciated. :)

• SucksSoBad says:

god, that glory-note screeching on Grimmie’s last song just completely negated the almost decent opening. I’ll give her this, she managed not to suck for a whole 30 seconds, but then insisted on going down her same tired worn path. But mostly she looked more constipated than emotional layering on Mariah Carey’s talent for taking a 2 syllable word and making it 12 syllables, each with a different note of which zero were pleasant. Adam has clearly confused the words “artistry” and “artifice”; The underwhelming commentary from Blake and Usher was completely spot on.

5. Ana says:

How I’d rank the performances
    1. Josh- Signed, Sealed Delivered I’m Yours
    2. Josh- Set Fire to the Rain
    3. Christina and Adam- Somebody that I Used to Know
    4. Christina- Wrecking Ball
    5. Josh and Usher- Every Breath You Take
    6. Jake- Don’t Close Your Eyes
    7. Christina- Can’t Help Falling in Love
    8. Jake- Right Here Waiting
    9. Jake and Blake- A Country Boy Can Survive

• HTGR says:

I’d put Christina’s CHFIL higher though. Set Fire to the Rain was interesting in that for much of it he was spectacular, but the key “set fire to the rain” lines his voice wasn’t the right type to give those the special tone shift and emphasis and sometimes he got a bit yelly in the parts right after that, although his last couple modified goes to the “set fire to the rain” did work pretty well. I don’t get the level of hate for it here.

• HTGR says:

Think Christina’s last song got a bit downgraded too. It was a bit yelly when she did the loud high stuff but it was delicate for the rest and I don’t see why Jena was an A+ perfection one of the best ever on Idol and this a B-, the one grade and praise seems over the top and the other a bit too harsh. I love her delicate voice, like her loud mid-range and don’t care much at all for her loud high and very high range where she seems to squeeze the notes out of a clenched throat a bit often.

• Davey says:

I can’t take Michael’s evaluation of Jena Irene on Idol seriously. I feel like he’s being paid off by the Idol producers, which I know isn’t the case but he’s lost some perspective.

• Emily says:

There is no way that Christina Grimme’s Can’t Help Falling in Love deserved a B-. She hit every note and it was beautiful.

• NotSo says:

To say CG was a “bit yelly” is like saying vladimir putin has a bit of an ego……
          It’s really a shame there’s a bunch of tweeners out there that think that’s how that song is supposed to sound.

• Christine says:

Well, it’s possible you may have answered your own question on Christina’s B- (but I did love her and Adam’s Somebody That I Used to Know). Personally, and each to their own, I absolutely loved and was so moved by Jena’s cover of this very incredible, almost untouchable, song. Sorry but I think Michael got it right.

• JM says:

Me too. As I said above, his version was more pain and anguish while Adele’s is more angry. Different, yet still good. I also don’t get all the hate for the finale either. I thought all of Josh’s and Usher’s performances were great.

• Chris says:

Jake deserves it. He was the best last night and it looks like the voters are going to prove me correct. I’ve been for Josh this intire time but Jake has come a long ways and last night, he was the best performer. Just like Blake said, he is a true county singer to the core. This is what makes him so popular. That “old country sound” is what he has and true country fans recognize that.

6. Ed says:

I just don’t get all the Josh love. I enjoy him when he’s doing R&B, but not when he does anything else. I LOVED “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” but HATED “Set Fire To The Rain”. And the duet with Usher was a trainwreck…..

• Spencer says:

Im glad I’m not the only one. I just don’t get

• Davey says:

A trainwreck? What show were you watching?

• Sara says:

I agree the duet with Usher was a trainwreck, but I don’t think it was Josh’s fault. Usher completely biffed a bunch of notes. That being said, Josh lost any votes I may have thrown his way because of his awfulness during Set Fire to the Rain. I really feel like Josh made it to the finale despite Usher, not because of him. Usher really sucked at picking songs for him. And remember, Signed, Sealed, Delivered was picked by Adam and Josh was great.

• giselle says:

Usher seemed to be trying to show that Josh can sing, but Usher can sing better. I couldn’t believe it when, instead of helping to point out that Josh is a good singer, Usher turned up his volume and sang like he was singing a solo with a background singer. Way to promote a member of your team, Usher!

• Sieves says:

Josh delivered 2 horrible performances last night and people are still rooting for him to win

Can you say beneficial backlash?

Unfair, but predictable.

• Jimmy says:

I SO AGREE. Josh is a good singer but I really can’t connect. He comes off as boring to me.

7. Kaba says:

Anyone else have to be fairly specific beyond searching “Josh Kaufman” in order to find his single of the night?
    I found it, but I had to at least include one word from the title of “Set Fire To The Rain” to find it.
    Not throwing out conspiracies, just wondering if I’m the only one meaning this problem.

?
      Just click on the Icon for Vote for The Voice and it brings ‘em all up in a row on a special screen.
      You never have to search and dig to vote.

• Julia says:

Yeah, it was wicked hard to find on itunes. I finally went through The Voice site.

• M says:

It’s listed under Albums and not as a single. A ton of people are having problems finding it, which has obviously hurt him on the charts. I’m calling BS and I don’t mean Blake Shelton.

• HTGR says:

if you go to itunes->store->music up at the top they have links, just roll the top part around to The Voice voting if it is not already there and then you can have a special page with all the songs from everyone for the week all in a row. The rare times it’s not linked up at top just look at the link sets a bit below and scroll a bit and it’s there too.
        There is no need to search around to vote. iTunes has made a special page for The Voice voting since S1 if I am remembering correctly. Just click the link at top and boom: iTunes The Voice voting page with the songs from everyone from the week collected right there (and prior weeks below).

• Cindy Ledyard says:

you aren’t the only one… many many people are very upset that they couldn’t find (and hence, vote for-i.e., download) Josh’s Adele song. At 8 am the “error” was finally corrected, supposedly. I think it so frightening to look at the iTunes rankings right now and see Jake leading the pack. Good Lord, AMERICA…. have you no ear for singing. Josh is very talented (even if the final song choice may not have suited his voice), and Christina is decent and inovative and far superior to Jake. I hope to see Josh win, but Jake’s iTunes votes (so many country music or die fans in this country) are frightening, to say the least.

• Cindy says:

And let me just add that I am not a country music hater. I thought Audra had a fantastic voice, and I voted for Kristen until she was eliminated. I preferred Michele C. over Danielle Bradbury, but I always said that Danielle could sing very well. And…. I even found the Swon Brothers ok. I love The Band Perry and a few other country singers as well, but Jake???? He’s so pitchy, and the nasality drives me insane. Is he personal, oh heck yes… but the show is called THE VOICE. If he wins and if they don’t do something to compensate for the fact that one of the contestant’s songs was hidden and/or wouldn’t download… I am taking a season off. It is no wonder that I listen to my “oldies” station. If America picks him, it will help explain a lot to me about how some of these people are recording artists.

8. David H says:

I think you need to check your expectations at the door, Michael. If you listened to Christina’s version of an Elvis classic on its own merits, you have to admit that it was brilliant work. That said, Josh deserves to win. He should become the star this show needs to break into American Idol territory. Allow me to finish by saying that Jake gave a worthy effort on the first song before falling apart on the rest.

• Kenna says:

Any of the top 3 this season will go in the way of Javier, Jermaine, and Tessanne this season…Josh will be as big of a “star” as Michelle Chamuel-where is she these days?

• Kaba says:

in Michelle’s defense, before you even dare attack the woman naively, she did not do the show for the sake of blowing up. She said herself she simply wanted to expand her fanbase. She more than achieved that, she certainly had people looking to sign her, but she turned them all down and is now releasing something this coming fall.

• Meri says:

Good point. I always figured that Michelle was better off not blowing up and staying an Indie artist. She really needs full creative control to do her best work. The only issue I have with her not going mainstream is that I still like to get the actual CD of my absolute favourites and I can’t just walk into a store and buy her stuff.

• jennvozik says:

She’s an indie artist who’s had two albums rank in the top 10 alternative charts one under her name & one with under The Reverb Junkie and has sold out the shows she’s put on so I’d just stop if I were you.

• MariMari says:

I’ll come to Michael’s defense on this (not that he needs it). Jena’s version was goose-bump inducing, while Christina’s was simply a [strident] good vocal. Jena’s performance, at the piano, just seemed much more emotionally connected.

• Sue says:

Totally disagree. Jena is being groomed to win and her cover of an iconic Elvis song was terrible, as I expected it would be because she is terrible. I am not a Cristina Grimme fan, but I got the “goosies” from her cover.

• Meri says:

Totally agree. I’ve never gotten the Jena-hype. I think she’s mediocre at best. When I considered both ladies’ cumulative work, I would have to say Christina is the better singer IMO. However, the Elvis song was nowhere near the quality of her Drake cover.

• jaxguy says:

I shouldn’t comment on an Idol contestant but the only thing about Jena’s voice that bothers me is the lack of nuance. I think she’s good but I think Caleb is a better rock singer than Jena a pop singer. I like Jena’s look and presence more than Christina but Christina’s voice is more appealing over the long haul for me. Jena’s good in small doses but I’m not sure I enjoy her over a long period. I still like her a lot though.

• HTGR says:

I do think that Jena often tends to not make things subtle enough, too much one toned singing from her. OTOH, when she belts and power high notes she really delivers them and without strain while Christina gets realllly pinched off and not just on the highest of the high on all notes that are high at all and loud which is basically while I just haven’t been ever to quite make myself go all crazy for her. When Christina keeps it soft and delicate her voice is beautiful though and she often uses more subtlety and nuance than Jena at those times. If we could combine them into one singer….

• Sieves says:

Christina’s drake cover was pitchy. Her Elvis cover displayed her vocal chops much more clearly. WTF do people even watch the same show as me??

• Debbie says:

Usher didn’t make a good choice for Josh and their duet was awful. Christina and Adam’s duet was great and I enjoyed her rendition of Elvis song. But I’m tired of people saying Jake’s a nice guy and people love his kind soft demeanor, it’s not a popularity contest it’s a sining competition and he just doesn’t cut it. There were better contestants who deserved to be there. Overall this season was a little boring. But I would vote for Christina.

9. Kenna says:

So Jena kicked Christina’s ass with Can’t Help Falling In Love- and people are still saying the Voice has better talent than Idol these last few years?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Gnight, Justin / Bonnie / Kenna, etc.

• Kenna says:

Is that your only comeback or are you going to try to give a real opinion? Or are you in denial?

Ok, let’s compare, Justin / Bonnie / Kenna:
          CJ’s waiting for the world to change vs. TJ’s
          Jena’s Barracuda vs Kat’s
          Majesty’s Let it Go vs. Kat’s
          Majesty’s Happy vs. Josh’s
          Emily Piraz’s Paris Ooh la la vs. Kat’s
          MK’s All of Me vs. Josh’s
          Alex’s Every Breath You Take vs. Josh’s
          Jessica’s Human vs. Tess’

Maybe one or two of those are debatable, but the vast majority I just listed are runaway wins for The Voice contestant. You’re seeing AI Season 13 through some rose-colored glasses, my friend.

• Kenna says:

Runaway wins? LMAO. Let It Go was bad for both. Barracuda, Jena sounded better. Majesty’s Happy was way better, no contest. Alex’s was better also. And Elise/Phillip sounded better with Somebody that I used To Know.

LOL

Ok, I needed a break before another round of laughing.

That was funny.

• :( says:

I dissagree strongly, the only time the voice wins is the battle is CJ and TJ, and Emily and Kat. Majesty and Kat both had trainwrecks on Let it Go, but that’s just my opinion.

• Angie_Overrated says:

So you think Majesty’s Happy > Josh’s Happy? Or MK’s All of Me > Josh’s? Interesting.
            Ultimately it doesn’t matter. That’s cool if you like one more than the other. I couldn’t possibly disagree more strongly with you, but whatever floats your boat. If Idol has the better singers next year, I’ll jump ship back over to them. I have zero loyalty. I just like good singing.

• Bonnie says:

I have one- Rolling In The Deep, Jena vs. Bria. Ha!

• Brad says:

I’d only disagree with the last two. Alex’s every breath you take for sure was better than that blah duet tonight. Human was a tie, the rest were runaways for sure.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’ll buy those, Brad. Like I said, 1 or 2 were debatable, and you picked the two I thought were debatable.

• MC says:

@Kenna I do think that Jenna’s version of Barracuda is more interesting. Jenna put her own spin on it and modulated her voice nicely. Jenna displayed a greater variety of highs and lows while delivering her vocal. She seemed to enjoy the moment, which is also important. Kat’s version was a little more predictable to me and therefore less interesting. Kat also starts too strong in Barracuda and the performance gradually becomes weaker as it progresses. I have to add, however, that Kat rose to the occasion a couple of weeks later when she sang “Paris Ooh La La” and “Chandelier.” Kat’s stamina and dynamic range were outstanding on those two vocals. Those were the two performances from her that I really enjoyed. In fact, Kat could have been the winner if those two vocals had come at the beginning of the live shows. Timing is everything, especially on these talent shows.

• MC says:

Sorry about the typos. I meant Jena and not Jenna.

• Meri says:

I’m just replying here because there was no reply for Kenna’s response. Kenna you just lost all credibility by saying Majesty did better at Happy then Josh. His was awesome, hers sucked. There definitely was a contest in his case and it ended with him wearing her keester as a hat. The only one of the comparisons Angie made where the Idol contestant was arguably better was the Jessica/Tess one. Kat did the better Barracuda (Jena is not good. J-Lo is simply spitting on our cupcakes and calling it frosting) and Paris. TJ did the better John Mayer cover (again CJ doesn’t make the competition very tense). Josh definitely did the better John Mayer cover.

• MC says:

@Meri – My favorite performance of 2014 (on these talent shows) was “Happy” by Josh and Austin in the battle rounds. It was freaking awesome imho. I probably liked it more than most because I haven’t been overexposed to the song. Talk about being in the pocket. Josh killed that and I wish he could have reprised it in some form on Monday’s show.

• HTGR says:

@MC – wow, I have to totally disagree! Jena’s Barracuda was not all that modulated at all, it was pretty one note. Kat actually gets closer to the nuance of the Ann Wilson original for sure! Although Jena powers out some of the high notes with more rich force. But Jena’s version seemed much more predictable and even and lacking in subtlety to me by far.

• Sieves says:

CJ’s waiting for the world to change vs. TJ’s — THE VOICE, barely, since both sucked
            Jena’s Barracuda vs Kat’s — THE VOICE, but barely
            Majesty’s Let it Go vs. Kat’s — THE VOICE
            Majesty’s Happy vs. Josh’s — NEITHER, duet vs solo and both were lackluster
            Emily Piraz’s Paris Ooh la la vs. Kat’s — THE VOICE, by a mile
            MK’s All of Me vs. Josh’s — THE VOICE
            Alex’s Every Breath You Take vs. Josh’s — AMERICAN IDOL
            Jessica’s Human vs. Tess’ — AMERICAN IDOL

So the voice wins. But american idol got a few good punches in.

• MC says:

@HTGR – From my perspective, Barracuda is a song that I heard way too often in my youth. I would rather not hear it again, but if I must, then I want something more (or even something less)than a good imitation of Ann Wilson. Been there, done that. Kat is straining at times because she is very close to the limit of her upper register in this one. I thought Kat was one-note in Barracuda because she started high and strong and was forced to stay there the whole song. I’m sure she was exhausted at the end of that one. Jena, when she turns toward the band and at other times, is not always in her upper register on Barracuda. Jena brings a more confident, cool and casual vibe to the song, but then hits her glory note at the end. The band may have drowned out some of some of her lower register, but it was there. It should not be a contest to beat Ann Wilson, but on these shows it often comes down to who can hit you over the head with the most glory notes. I have my Mariah Carey cds for that. I don’t need that all of the time. In that context, Kat surely wins because on Barracuda because she is trying to give everyone Ann Wilson, but I think Jena is really trying to give folks Jena in this song. That why I think Jena wins this one. I much prefer Kat’s delivery on Chandelier and Paris Ooh La La. She shows more patience and brings more of an expansive range (from high to low and low to high) in these two vocals. Kat brings her own voice to these two songs and sounds like a real recording artist on them. Barracuda was just good karaoke from Kat imho.

• HTGR says:

Hmm we will ahve to disagree on this one. Jena just didn’t give it any subtlety, just marched straight along through it as she is somewhat too prone to do, not enough felt micro-dynamics and such. Yeah Kat was at her upper so she didn’t quite smoothyl power those notes like Jena, but she did so much more with the rest and didn’t just belt out note after note all the same, same way, same emotion, same tone, same microdynamics.

• r8tg51k1 says:

Yep. Not even a contest,

• Melanie says:

Disagree. I personally liked Grimmie’s version better. But to each her own.

10. JM says:

- Usher should put out a duets album pronto. His duets with Josh and Adam were fantastic.
    - What happened to Christina’s voice? She was so good, but these last two weeks…anyone know if she’s sick?
    - Hank Williams Jr.!!!!! Been waiting for one of his songs! Love him. Hopefully, Waylen Jennings isn’t far behind.

And the winner by a mile: Josh Kaufman. That man is amazing. Pardon my JLo reference, I really do get ‘goosies’ when he sings. Haven’t felt that since Joshua Ledet. He MUST win!!!

• adam says:

i know around 2 weeks ago on twitter Christina said she was having problems with her voice.

• jAN says:

Absolutely AGREE with you. Final night was NOTJosh’s best and I blame Usher for very wrong song choice. Josh’s rendition of All of Me. last week..absolutely went right into my heart and soul…That should have been a song for FINALE…Usher what did you do to the guy..Jake Worthington is a very nice young man but if he wins I’m done with this show..Joshua Ledet should HAVE won Idol hands down…so who won?.Phillip Phillips, a mediocre guitar playing, weird face makiing “one note”. Joshua Ledet brought me to tears every time he sang from his soul.

11. polarvortex says:

What isit with Adam and “Somebody that I used to know” He gave it to Sarah Simmons and it got her kicked off and I don’t think it will do Christina any favours either!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Maybe his strategy was “I can’t sing really well, so I’ll pick something with a minimalist accompaniment to highlight my inability to sing well, which will make Christina sound amazing!” In that sense it was successful. By comparison, Christina sounded pretty amazing.

12. Name This Tune says:

Cast my votes for Josh . This is all.

• MC says:

This will be remembered as a great season if Josh wins. I am definitely looking forward to his new music.

• Angie_Overrated says:

And if Jake wins….? I’m preparing myself for the worst.

• analythinker says:

*chews shoes*

• Angie_Overrated says:

If Jake wins, I may write off all these shows. No shoe chewing. Just no more. lol A Jake win + Idol Season 13 may just be enough for me to be done entirely.
            I guess that means I should vote. I guess I’ll vote the max for Josh and Christina? Yeah, I’ll do that.

• analythinker says:

Well, there’s still Rising Star…. where Josh Groban hosts and Ke$ha judges…. yep.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Josh Groban and Kesha. That sounds about as pleasant as a root canal sans lidocaine.

• guest says:

Well, I guess I will have to hope and wish that Jake wins, just so that Angie_Overrated will stop watching the show and we will be saved from her condescending commentary about how she is a professional and therefore her opinion is better than everyone else’s.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Care to point out one instance of me doing so tonight? I’m sorry you’re threatened by me, but that sounds like your problem, not mine. G’night.

• guest says:

Threatened by you? HAHAHAHAHA. Try greatly annoyed by thinking you are the Queen of reality singing competition commentary. Every week, I come on here and every week you are spouting your “my opinion is the be all, end all of these boards.” Obnoxious.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Except for the fact that I don’t act like my opinion is the end all be all. I want Josh to win, but I’m reasonably complimentary of Christina’s talent. And I reached out to Jake fans last week to help me understand the appeal (thanks Wendy and SeattleJohn, but I still can’t get past the pitch thing). If you want to hate, that’s cool. But I don’t spend a moment thinking about you, so the joke’s on you.

• analythinker says:

guest, My opinion happens to be similar to Angie_Overrated’s, most of the time.

I’m nobody though, not a professional singer by any means, I believe by your standard this means I should not comment at all :D

• Angie_Overrated says:

Analythinker, any fan of Kat’s is a friend of mine. Do you normally like rock music? I don’t at all, and i was surprised with myself how much I enjoyed her performances this year. I guess my problem with a lot of rock or metal is they’re often not singing… more of a “screaming in pitch” kind of thing. It was so refreshing to hear a quality singer doing that kind of music.

• analythinker says:

A_O Yep, I’m a rock/alternative fan, although for some reasons I can’t pinpoint, I could not like Juliet Sims, and unlike Slezak (peace, Mike ;)), I don’t think Amanda Brown is a rocker only because she did Dream On and Paris (Oh La La).
            I find myself agreeing with you beyond the rock genre though, and I’m comfortable enough with myself to admire you because your comments come from a professional point of view :)

13. Bonquisha says:

The top 3 songs on iFunes are all Jake’s preformances.

14. NotVirgin Mary says:

Why is Jake’s songs all farther up than any of the others? I’m concerned. I’m afraid I’m going to have to quit watching the show if he wins.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You and me both, sistah. That would be the travesty of all travesties. I don’t dislike country music, but can we at least have a country singer who can sing in tune? That would be awesome.

• The Beach says:

IMO Amber Carrington was the best country singer who’s been on The Voice.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I liked her. I also really liked Kristen and Audra from this season. And even though I voted for her never, Danielle Bradberry could sing really really well.

• Davey says:

I agree. I keep hoping Amber Carrington will break through.

• Nichol says:

I don’t really get it. It seems like country voters just want to prove they have the power. If they vote for mediocrity, I’m not sure how this helps the country music they love though except show they have no discrimination. It wouldn’t bother me at all if he had one iota of excellence like for example Carrie Underwood when she was on AI. I know this is subjective but it’s like they go out of their way to sabotage any chance the Voice has to produce a top flight talent. Nice guy Jake sure isn’t it.

• MC says:

It’s not just The Voice. A very talented young lady by the name of Carly Rose Sonenclar lost in the finale of the X Factor to middle-aged country crooner, Tate Stevens. Tate has already been dropped by his record label. I know that people hated the X Factor, but the format and trappings were one thing. The talent was another thing and Carly would have been special on any of these talent shows.

• Billy Bob says:

You darn right. I watched the season of X-factor with Carly Rose for Carly only. She was captivating and had me coming back week after week. Amazing for a 13 year old back then.

• Ed says:

It’s the Grimmie fans who want to prove they have power. They literally send out instructions for how to vote from abroad using proxies and tell people how to set up multiple Skype accounts to vote more. It’s sad. She already has 2 produced albums on iTunes. Maybe there is a reason she hasn’t made it yet. With 2 albums and 500K followers, she’s doing something wrong.

• Fari says:

Actually, both her albums sold pretty well. With love sold upto 200k, with no formal promotion, and her songs were played on major shows, like vampire diaries. She’s opened for Selena Gomez (not the most impressive artist but it is an achievement), come on Ellen, and has over 3 million fans right now. I like both Josh and Christina, but you need to get your facts straight. With all of this, at the age of 20, she must be doing something right, don’t you think? Also, the instructions were sent out on public forums, for the whole world to see. So Kaufman fans could also do the same, had they chosen too. Its not like the Grimmie fans had an unfair advantage. Im happy with either of them beinng the voice, but I really am getting tired of Kaufman fans crying foul and getting all holier than thou. Cant everyone just agree that both of them have been frontrunners from the beginning for a reason, ans that both of them deserve that record deal?

• Spencer says:

I just don’t get it.

• HTGR says:

Seriously if he wins this show will just have been Tated for good, just like XFactor (it already got close the other season). They will literally have to ban country from these shows and give them their own shows. That’s maybe not a fair thing to say and yet it is, since how fair it is for one genre to so often seem to place a few spots above where they would had they be any other genre?

• JM says:

Yup, if he wins, they should just change the show’s title to ‘Blake’s Country Singers’ and be done with it.

• Matthew says:

They will never let NO one else win but Adam Or Blake.

If Josh don’t win I am done with this show, which I hate because I want to see Pharell Williams next season

15. Kim Moores says:

I’m sorry, Grimmie fans just ruined the finale for me. I don’t give a damn who wins anymore after reading this on Kaufman’s youtube video of “Signed, Sealed, Delivered”
    _________________
    “IF YOU DID NOT JUST SEE CHRISTINA GRIMMIE PERFORM AN ELVIS CLASSIC ON THE VOICE REST YOUR LITTLE SOUL IN PEACE BECAUSE YOU JUST MISSED THE DEFINING MOMENT OF THE 21ST CENTURY SHE IS OUR CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS DISCOVERING AMERICA, SHE IS OUR ARISTOTLE DISCOVERING LIKE SCIENCE AND THE UNIVERSE AND STUFF, SHE IS OUR AZTEC CIVILIZATION DISAPPEARANCE INTO THE ABYSS OF BEAUTIFULLY HEART-WRENCHING MUSICAL SOUL-SHIVERING RADIANCE. CHRISTINA GRIMMIE IS THE 21ST CENTURY! CHRISTINA GRIMMIE IS THE VOICE!”
    __________________

I am literally laughing my tail off.

• Ed says:

Hahahahaha!!!! God. Could they get any MORE dramatic?? For Chrissakes’, it’s just a friggin’ TV show!!!!!

tl;dr
      did her fans like her at all tonight?

• skrable2 says:

And she’s (barely) bigger than a bread box!

• JM says:

Thanks for the laugh, Kim! Too much!

• Angie_Overrated says:

This is amazing. Thank you for posting this, Kim. I am so happy right now.
      I need to incorporate that phrase into my repertoire: [insert person] is our Aristotle discovering like science and the universe and stuff. That is a special phrase that needs to be used more.

• Kim Moores says:

It’s hilarious right?
        I don’t think people obsess over Beyonce this hard.

• Angie_Overrated says:

In the next presidential election I plan on using that one for my favored candidate. I will sound super smart and well spoken.

• DDuncan says:

…And stuff!

LMAO

• giselle says:

Maybe Grimme will run for president seeing that she has defined the 21st century. She might as well follow it up with a lackluster job like president (and stuff)! I can just imagine the pout whenever someone disagrees with her.

• Sieves says:

>I don’t believe I’ve ever read such an extremely radical statement from a fan in my entire life.

Where have you been. People say the most ridiculous things in fandom.

• BoyHowdy says:

I’m assuming this was written with tongue planted firmly in cheek with an eyeroll on the side. Because otherwise, the writer needs psychiatric care.

• polarvortex says:

Ha ha , I just cut a hole in my computer to let all the sap run out :)

• Jaszy says:

Okay, I love me some Christina Grimmie and, trust me, (you probably already know this Kim) I do want her to win this show, but that was not her best performance. Christopher Columbus discovering America…? Exaggerate much?
      To me, Christina peaked at her Hold On performance…which was one of the biggest MOMENTS of the season…truly epic!
      It was kind of like on season 12 of American Idol and Angie Miller sang her original song You Set Me Free and just… killed… it, but she never really had a moment like that afterwards. If you ask me it all kind of went slightly downhill and sealed her a third place finish, which I was deeply upset about because I wanted her to win.
      But, back to the Voice (yeah, when anything makes me think of Angie Miller, I kind of start to rant, but really, Angie was ROBBED!)
      Okay, now I’m serious: BACK TO THE voice.
      I wish we had like 5 more weeks to get to know these contestants more and to get to see that this was a journey. Well, it was a journey for the contestants, just a really short one. I don’t really know who these people are, even my fav. Christina.
      And I don’t really array in song choices after Hold On, she kind of just plateaued while Josh and Jake were experiencing an up-climb, whether they really deserved it or not(Jake).
      I would NOT have chosen that Elvis song for her. I was like, “Christina, what the hell are you thinking?” I mean, she did sing it well, probably went high a little too much, but it was a strong vocal, nonetheless, but it just didn’t cause me to go all crazy like I did for Hold On, which was the only performance I gave a standing ovation to out of all the performances and of all the contestants this season. (I know, like my invisible-to-the-public-eye standing ovation means anything, right?).
      I kind of think these past two weeks opened up the door for Josh or Jake to win, with Christina coming in second place. Of course, second place is not bad, considering the hundreds of people who tried out for the show.
      And I hear, Jake is charting higher than the other two on iTunes, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!
      That duet with Blake was totally boring….then his other two songs were slow, boring ballads. Okay, I’ll be honest: he wasn’t that bad! But still….come on Christina, you had a great opportunity HERE! You’re blowing it with these song choices and trying to overcompensate almost as if you think you wouldn’t be there without those high notes, like you are only made by “high notes.”

Yeah, Josh probably will win. Doesn’t mean I want the win any less for Christina, though.

I know Kim Moores, you probably don’t want to hear anymore about Christina, so this is where this post….

• Angie_Overrated says:

Wow, long post but I agree with most of what you’re saying. Your girl may win. You and her fellow Grimmie Warriors (or whateever her fans call themselves) seem to be a well mobilized bunch. And even though she’s not my favorite, I did love her Drake and Miley songs. That last minute of Wrecking Ball tonight was pretty exciting, IMO.

• Sieves says:

if you loved her songs, why don’t you like her? because of the unfair assumption placed on her that she won the show the second she made it through the blinds? which is not even true by the way. i know its not her personality, since at the very least she is an agreeable character.

• Kim Moores says:

“if you loved her songs, why don’t you like her? because of the unfair assumption placed on her that she won the show the second she made it through the blinds?”
            …….Did you really just type that? Goodness

• Angie_Overrated says:

You’re putting words in my mouth, Sieves. I just happen to like other contestants more than I like Christina.

• Jaszy says:

*don’t really like the array in her song choices….

• Fari says:

Lol, that was slightly melodramatic, but don’t judge Grimmie fans based on a few comments. I’m a Grimmie fan, and trust me, shockingly, I’m sane. Also, to be fair, sone of Josh’s fans are overdoing the hate, what with calling her a ‘screechy slut’ and an ‘elfin whore’. Over the top hate will be met with over the top defenses, don’t you think? And quite a few people commented, calling Josh an angel specifically sent to us by god on his set fire video, which I think is taking the all white theme a little too seriously. :p Fanatics go both ways. I personally like both of them. :)

16. debi says:

Jake is way ahead of Josh or Christina on iTunes (for now at least). Michael’s polls rarely match what actually happens. If everything is honest, I think Jake gets the most votes. He’s been my favorite all along. I think Christina is overrated, and while I like Josh, I just don’t think he can be a star. JMO

• Sara says:

But Jake can’t stay in tune or on the beat. I wouldn’t mind him winning a Best Personality contest, but The Voice? No.

17. Hodan says:

Josh killed it tonight. He was really amazing.

18. Haas says:

This episode confirmed my exit from the series. Each performance was just so self indulgent and the judges’ comments again pointless. The show makes itself out to be so hip, but when Adam’s chick covered Elvis (just done on Idol – and better by the way) and Usher’s white boy did Stevie Wonder, one must conclude it is no better than any of the other singing contests. And just sooooo boring; watched it in about 15 min on DVR, Goodbye show.

• Kenna says:

Watch out, Angie_Overrated might think we are the same person ;)

• Mister says:

The main thing that The Voice has going for it is the chemistry between the judges (it remains to be seen how the 2 new judges will fit in next fall). The thing that The Voice has going against it is the COMPETITION between the judges; it would be a much better show if it was about finding the best new talent, rather than which judge will “win”.

• Davey says:

Oh, please, Jena wasn’t that great and she still hasn’t learned to enunciate and she has no lower register. Keep watching Idol, then. The Voice won’t miss you.

• Meri says:

THIS!!!! The Jena love is definitely speaking volumes about the intelligence level of Idol viewers. You are spot on. She often sounds like she has a mouth full of mashed potatoes. At least I can always understand Christina.

19. Kaba says:

Prior to tonight I’d heard that Grimmie fans had gunned for Josh to sing “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” for the sake of throwing him under the bus.
    Whether that conspiracy is true or not. It didn’t work in the slightest LOL
    Really enjoyed the man tonight. “Set Fire To The Rain” wasn’t everything it could have been, but something about that white stage and the orchestra just completely had me enthralled . It was so dramatic in a “THIS IS THE WINNER OF THE VOICE” kind of way.
    I looooooooooooved watching it. The vocals could’ve been more immaculate, but no complaints. I think the staging sold the point across to infinity and beyond.

• silverangel says:

read as–I love my favorite, and even though they didn’t do well I still want to find an excuse to justify my love for them.

Can anyone please just be realistic for a second. Set Fire to the Rain sucked.

• Kaba says:

Realistic? The vocals weren’t good, hence why I didn’t comment on the vocals.
        I WAS enjoying what I was watching though. Please feel free to get over my statement at your own leisure. Soon would be the best advice.

20. NotVirgin Mary says:

I’m just going to leave this here
    Justin Bieber:
    @Usher big day. You know the finals I got this! Sorry @adamlevine I luv yah but we riding #TeamUsher on this one. @iamjoshkaufman can sing!
    LOL

21. JM says:

Michael, an ‘A’ for ‘Somebody to Love’, seriously??? I absolutely hated the arrangement. Made it into some goofy jingle, especially with the xylophone???? The original is full of anger and pain. Definitely an ‘F’.

22. Lani Dale says:

If I’ll be perfectly honest, Christina’s version of Cant Help Falling In Love was better than your grade (b-) michael. I think you graded her too low because of Jena. But Michael please be fair enough. Anybody else there who agrees with me?

• Melanie says:

I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed that performance. And I predicted that Speak wouldn’t like it much because of his loyalties to Jena.

• Davey says:

I loved the beginning of Christina’s Elvis song but then as she continued it got extremely shrill and mannered and then she started pointing her finger to show us she was hitting her notes.

• Caitlyn says:

Michael doesn’t seem to rewards any sort of creativity with a song. I thought her vocal skill was good but not great, and her creativity with a classic song was just awesome.

• Davey says:

But it’s based on a Celine Dion arrangement so it’s not so creative.

• HTGR says:

And Jena’s was based on a prior arrangement as well. Truth is it is hard enough to learn these songs so fast week after week, few have a realistic chance to truly come up with a new arrangement for these shows. It’s mostly borrowing off of prior re-arrangements.

• HTGR says:

agree, the other was overgraded a bit and this undergraded a bit

• I Agree!!Christina sang that song so much better than Jena on AI!!! Michael always has his favorites and Jena always is over rated. I think either Christina or Josh should win but I like Josh’s voice the best and have since day one.

• MaryUtah says:

I liked most of the song, but she overdoes it – she feels she has to show off all her tools on every song, it gets over done for me.

23. danin says:

Ew, Wrecking Ball was as Vegasy as Can’t Help Falling In Love…Dexter oops I mean Jake whose voice I like was pretty awful tonight.And Josh slayed.Josh for the mother f-in win!

• bobsaccamanna says:

Josh did not slay Set Fire to the Rain, Josh sings Adele? Sorry but his blue eyed soul style voice did not fit the power of that song in the least. My guess is that will be the bottom of the charts in I tune sales of tonight’s performances. Unfortunately Christina, who I wanted to win, wasn’t much better and I fear another Blake country artist winning this season. UGH!!!

• danin says:

bob my love he tire up Signed Sealed,revived a song not many at least in here were enthusiastic to hear,including me, he out sang Usher on the completely uninspired Usher chosen,,EveryBreath, and the final 1/2 of the also uninspired Usher chosen,Fire in the Rain was pretty dang fuel injected.Michael is right&I wondered myself why Usher didn’t give Josh the ultra magnetic How Does it Feel.Guess Usher doesn’t think Josh is sexy enough compared to himself&Adam

24. Angie_Overrated says:

Jake and Blake during their duet did not sound human. It sounded like Aboriginal didgeridoos dueling in an epic battle to see who can sound the crappiest. Blake won. What… was… that….
    ????

25. OhMy says:

Ok, Michael, but “D’Angelo’s epic, sexy . . .” defines no song by D’angelo ever.

26. Doug says:

No mention or letter grade for Blake and Shakira’s performance of Medicine??

27. HTGR says:

Oh brother, according to iTunes (which granted has actually been wrong a fair amount this season, in bits and pieces) it looks like: 1. Jake 2. Christina 3. Josh

• Kaba says:

It’s only 11:14pm EST currently.
      There is time. They’ve got till noon tomorrow if I recall correctly.

• HTGR says:

I’m fearing it’ll be high noon.

• JM says:

Yes, and the West Coast (far from country fans) hasn’t voted yet.

• HTGR says:

Interior west coast can be pretty country loving though, even just drove north of Santa Barbara a bit and go a little inland and it’s almost like you are in the South, night and day compared to say LA. Then again the population in those parts is pretty small compared to the cities.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Uh huh. Bakersfield and Chowchilla are another world. But luckily Bakersfield and Chowchilla have vastly smaller populations than LA and SF, not to mention half the population in Bakersfield and Chowchilla are incarcerated without access to voting media.

28. Caitlyn says:

There were several artists on the show this season that I liked much better than Christina, but for these three, she should be the winner.Jake is just not ready. He is a decent singer and seems like a nice guy, but I can’t see him winning. I really like Josh’s voice, but he has virtually zero creativity. About the only thing Adam has said that I agree with, is that this shouldn’t be a Karaoke show. As I see it, Josh and Christina are pretty close as singers … Josh maybe a bit more seasoned and polished, but as a creative performer, Christina is miles ahead. I’ll be voting for her.

• Davey says:

What are you talking about? Signed, Sealed, Delivered was magic. Creativity doesn’t always mean mangling a song so it is no longer the melody.

• Caitlyn says:

Signed, Sealed and Delivered was done very well from a technical point of view … but for creativity, it wins the free round of beer at the Karaoke contest.

• Davey says:

Oh, please it was not karaoke.

• Meri says:

No. That was awesome. By that logic Tessanne was karaoke with her Whitney cover. Certainly not! Both sang the you-know-what out of their songs. And the Elvis cover wasn’t Christina’s arrangement it was Celine’s. If anything, she sounded like a wedding singer when she tried to belt. Don’t be rude about a great talent. Josh did not deserve either comment.

• Kaba says:

See, I don’t see where Grimmie succeeds in the creativity department. I’m all for taking a song and changing it up, but anyone who’s heard the two songs made by rappers that she covered would have seen the arrangements she chose from a mile away. I saw them from a mile away and wasn’t surprised or intrigued by her approach. She has a very simple formula to the way she sings a song.Subdued for 3/4 of the song then bombastic all the way till the very end and not even in a way that would imply a crescendo. It just happens, no magic to it.
      Josh is a soulful singer and where soul singers succeed at is taking a song and bringing out completely different colors to the tones, nuances, etc. So I can’t say I see what’s so much more creative on Grimmie’s end when I find nothing creative about singing a song SUNG by a rapper and just adding forte to the end of it.

• gmgeyer says:

This. Plus the patented “Christina Pinch” during the bombast. She can sing sing sing, but when she pinches out the top of her range, it really can hurt the ears. Josh doesn’t do that, and he just grooves the “feels.”

29. MaryUtah says:

I have been a huge fan of Josh all season. I just love his voice!
    I was worried about his cover of Adele based on Michael’s twitter.. but it blew me away! I loved it. I also enjoyed the duet with Usher but confession time, I’m older and “Every Breath You Take” is so my generation!!
    I thought Christina was strongest on “Wrecking Ball” and though not the biggest fan of Gotye, thought her duet with Adam was very well done. I did not enjoy the Elvis cover… i keep want to reminder her that because you can (hit those high notes) doesn’t mean you have to do it ALL the time. It gets a bit nerve wracking.
    I’m not a country fan, but find Jake so charming – but his style of music just doesn’t work for me.

30. Lani Dale says:

Can somebody update me about their status on ITunes. Is it true that Jake is leading the Top 3?

31. monicaplace says:

Don’t forget that Kat did well on ITunes, not as much on votes. Gotta have both.

• Davey says:

It’s over, though, if Jake makes the top 10 because don’t his votes get multiplied by 10 or something like that?

• maryutah says:

Someone posted that the iTunes purchases aren’t counting, is that true?

• Davey says:

They didn’t seem to emphasize the iTunes thing tonight. I have no idea.

• Nichol says:

According to The Official rules on the NBC site, the final vote is like all other performance nights with one exception. In addition to all the usual eligible votes, the cumulative total of votes received from eligible iTunes downloads including all bonuses (ie. multipliers) from the onset of the live performances up to the final are also added in. This cumulative total at least would favor Josh going into tonight.

• Julia says:

iTunes purchases of song done tonight do count as votes per the voting rules.

32. Davey says:

Well if you’re a Josh fan, be ready to weep. His Adele song is not selling well on iTunes. Usher should have given Josh something more like Stay with Me rather than saddle him with Adele. And Grimmie fans are snatching up the Elvis song. All my votes went to Josh but I’m afraid even lover of redneck songs may even beat him if iTunes is any indication.

• Mister says:

It was a mistake for Usher to let Josh venture out of his wheelhouse during the finale.

• Julia says:

I hope Josh fans support him even if Set Fire to the Rain wasn’t the best choice for him. That could be the difference between Jake or Christina and Josh winning. Jake fans have purchased his song whether or not they liked it, to support either him, country or Blake. Grimmie fans are also supporting their artist. If Josh fans don’t do the same – buy Josh’s iTunes song – it may not go well for Josh tomorrow night. imo he deserves support.

33. Kaba says:

Usher’s whole “make his team members wear white in the finale for the new song” thing is pretty…pretty symbolic of how much he truly puts his all into coaching these people to get where they ought to be.
    He did it with Michelle, doing it with Josh. I hope he stays with the show and continues to do it with other contestants. :)
    I like a nice lil tradition

• JM says:

You’re right. I hadn’t noticed until you pointed it out. Yes, it IS a nice tradition.

• danin says:

Yes.Josh looked wonderful! What a blissful voice too.

• Sara says:

Except for the fact that Usher seemed not as interested this year in his contestants as he was last year. He almost seemed completely checked out. I would actually be surprised if he decides to come back again.

34. scarpe says:

I’m rooting for Josh but I think he blew it w/that last song. God. Awful. Signed, Sealed was outstanding but he ended the night on a horrible note and I think he knew it. Christina does have a beautiful clarity to her voice but that Miley Cyrus thing was atrocious. I had to hit mute. Maybe her fans will save her (which would be ok. I think she’s talented), but I’m betting that Jake will win. Unfortunately. Nothing against him—but ugh.The boring brand of country threatens to appease audiences again.

• Davey says:

Danielle Bradbury seems cutting edge compared to Jake.

• Mister says:

I don’t think that Jake should win. But, there is something to be said for his “throwback” style of country music, and his voice is suited for that very thing. It is a refreshing departure from all the high, tinny-sounding Rascal Flatts-style music currently out there.

• Sara says:

I would be really interested in seeing where Jake is in a few years with more training and experience. He definitely has come very far from last year when he didn’t make it past the blinds in terms of his ability, but I don’t think he is quite there yet. Give him a few more years under Blake’s influence and I think he could be a great asset to the country music scene. He definitely has that “throwback” style you referred.

That’s to say he even wants to continue in music. After all a few weeks ago, he talked about really wanting to go to Texas A&M. Sometimes, I can’t tell if he really wants to be a musician or if he thinks this is a cool little side thing to tell stories about when he’s older.

• gailer says:

If Jake wins……we know we have a country vote going on.

35. HTGR says:

I think the sway bots explain it all. How is it that 80% of swaybots can be sooooooo hopelessly without any sense of rhythm at all? And if you have zero sense of rhythm maybe you are tone deaf as well and can’t really tell one notes pitch from another so well. In which case the kinda bland sleepy whatever soothing voices might sound best right? And who tends to often win reality tv? The bland, non-offensive, soothing, sleepy.

• Mister says:

I wish the people who do that crap would realize how utterly stupid and mindless they look…. just like a bunch of sheep.

36. HUH says:

For the love of God, enough the Freaking swaybots…..

37. ElleKay says:

Usher should win The Voice this year.

38. Kimbo says:

Someone needs to tell Christina Grimmie that vocal bombast does not equate to an emotional connection that anyone should feel or believe.

• Kimbo says:

I honestly feel like she just shows off all the time. She had a more than perfect opportunity to show the audience that she has vocal versatility and instead she insisted on relying on how high her register is to sell the song. Glory notes are nice, but tasteful is what one should always aim for.
        If I could compare her styling to a piece of music I’d choose the most distasteful and “loud” Vaclav Nelhybel’s “Festivo”. And even that doesn’t describe it well enough. Just bigness for no damned reason.

39. HTGR says:

Check out last season’s finalist Jacquie Lee’s “Broken Ones” on iTunes. The iTunes track is awesome!

40. I’m not certain the place you are getting your info, butt great topic.
    I must spend a while studying more or understanding more.
    Thank yoou ffor great infro I was searching for this information for my mission.

41. Grace says:

How is everyone doing on iTunes as of now?

• analythinker says:

#9 – Christina Grimmie – Can’t Help Falling in Love
      #14 – Jake W – Don’t Close Your Eyes
      #16 – Jake W – Right Here Waiting
      #17 – Jake W & Blake – A Country Boy Can Survive
      #21 – Christina & Adam – Somebody That I Used to Know
      #26 – Josh Kaufman & Usher – Every Breath You Take
      #40 – Josh Kaufman – Signed, Sealed, Delivered

I can’t see Set Fire to the Rain on the Top 1500…

• Angie_Overrated says:

Christina’s Elvis cover is #1?! Wow. Ok.

• DDuncan says:

ITunes put “Set Fire to the Rain” in the wrong place. It’s in Albums instead of Singles. Everyone is having trouble finding it. It was ON THE NEWS in Indy today.

42. Timmah says:

Can I vote for Shakira as the winner?

43. HurtsSoBad says:

Gimmie should go to jail for the offences she committed against “Can’t Help Falling in Love”. Dear God, dead Elvis could sing that song better NOW….

• TinLV says:

LOL.. Really, she wasn’t thaaat bad, but the song was just too old-fashioned for someone her age. it just didn’t gel for me. I liked her duet with Adam though. No screeching in it.

44. Sara says:

Set Fire to the Rain and Can’t Help Falling in Love should NOT have been rated the same. Can’t Help Falling in Love was SOOOO much better than Josh’s hot mess. Set Fire to the Rain was a complete mess! Complete butchering.

45. analythinker says:

I was voting for One More Try for Josh to sing. Simple, because I wanted it to chart, since it was his audition song and I think it did not chart as high as his other songs (I haven’t checked though). But he nailed Signed, Sealed, Delivered, so… okay.

NOT okay with Set Fire to the Rain though. If it HAS to be an Adele song, he would do MUCH much better with Make You Feel My Love or Lovesong, which basically saying… don’t do Adele, heh.

46. bella says:

christina grimmie is by far d best performer tonite. I m so voting for her. team grimmie al d frikkin way.

47. skrable2 says:

Grimmie’s Online Army could settle the Ukraine crisis and find the missing plane on their way home

48. Kaba says:

I swear, I always lose fuel after finale nights of the Voice.
    I literally do not give a damn who wins. With the way tonight is going I can’t predict who will win, it’s too early in the night to tell.
    This season was too short…or maybe not short enough? Who knows.
    I sent in my votes for Josh and bought his songs, lets see how the results will go tomorrow evening.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I miss Kat and Sisaundra. I’m trying not to be a sore loser, but after an underwhelming finale performance night like this, I can’t help but feel both were robbed.

• Kaba says:

With the way Adam and Blake handled Grimmie and Jake I can’t say I’d see a better result if they swapped. Not sure who to rate as the coach that disappointed the most tonight. I feel like Usher just did what he could with Josh’s choice and tried. The duet? Eh…
        All this is doing for me is making me revisit Usher’s duet with Chamuel, Tessanne’s “I Have Nothing”, and Chamuels “Why”.
        All very good finale performances.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m revisiting Kat’s Gold Dust Woman and Sisaundra’s NY State of Mind. Glorious. I’m not sure how we went from such amazing performances early on to what we saw tonight. Christina and Josh were not in top form. It wasn’t a trainwreck, but they’re both better than this.
          Matthew Schuler’s Wrecking Ball. I think I’m gonna go listen to that. Or that duet of Vision of Love with Amanda Brown and Trevin Hunt. That was smokin’ hot.

• Kaba says:

Let’s just dedicate tonight to everything that was better than these finale performances.
            Anthony Evans and Jessie Campbells battle. Yes

• Angie_Overrated says:

If you haven’t already done so, please do yourself a giant favor and youtube the singing nun from Italy’s version of The Voice. Her blind audition of the Alicia Keys song brought me immeasurable joy. Her name is Suor Cristina, the song is No One, and it’s simply wonderful. Find the one with the most hits and use the English captions to watch the judges’ remarks. You’d have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by it.

• David S says:

What did you expect? I’m sure you remember what happened to Amanda Brown. It was a travesty she couldn’t make it past the top 6. At least Kat made the top 5.

• HTGR says:

Oh they were robbed. Hella robbed.
        This whole season was robbed.
        How were Tess,Sisaundra,Delvin,Kat among the first let go from a show called The Voice? I don’t know that Delvin was really my thing (and a couple times same for Sisaundra, although other times she was), but come on he had a voice a lot better than many who lasted.

49. gmgeyer says:

Usher is … not a good “coach.” Josh has exceeded despite Usher. Certainly not because of him. This season’s song choices on the part of each coach have been … urghhh. I think the coaches were sleepy this go ’round. Or checked out. Or somethin’. Yikes.

50. Timmah says:

How did they wind up with these 3 finalists? Seems like something went wrong in the process.