The CW Fall Schedule Revealed: The Originals on the Move, Flash Paired With Supernatural

the flash cw scheduleThe CW is the final broadcast network to unveil its 2014-15 schedule, and it’s strikingly similar to its 2013-14 schedule. The most noteworthy tweak? The Originals is sinking its teeth into Monday night (leading into new dramedy Jane the Virgin).

Also of note: Arrow spin-off The Flash will be paired with Supernatural on Tuesday, and Hart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast are being held for midseason. The network’s Wednesday, Thursday and Friday lineups, meanwhile, remain in tact.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

Also on tap for midseason: New series iZombie and The Messengers.

All told, the The CW’s surprisingly familiar schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

MONDAY
8 pm The Originals
9 pm JANE THE VIRGIN

TUESDAY
8 pm THE FLASH
9  pm Supernatural

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Arrow
9 pm The 100

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

THURSDAY
8 pm The Vampire Diaries
9 pm Reign

FRIDAY
8 pm Whose Line Is It Anyway?
8:30 pm Whose Line Is It Anyway?
9 pm America’s Next Top Model

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: The Carrie Diaries, Nikita, Star-Crossed and The Tomorrow People

1. Jenna Harris says:

I’m happy SPN isn’t moving and I hope The Flash does well!

• Jane says:

I was hoping it would because now it is against AOS. Most people I know watch both so now they will have to choose which to watch live and which to DVR. One will get hurt and I’m afraid it will be SPN since it gets so little support from the CW.

• alistaircrane says:

Hardly anyone watches Agents of SHIELD. It’s an awful show that miraculously got a second season. No need to worry.

• Enrique the Intelligent says:

It has been improving. It isn’t quite where it needs to be in terms of writing yet, but it was far closer in the season finale than it was in the season premiere. Besides, they spun a web of chaos and they have to fix it up before the next Marvel movie comes out.

• Karina says:

I agree, I started watching AOS – hated it but stuck with it all season. The last few episodes made it worth sticking with. Hopefully they carry that momentum into season 2.

• The Original Original says:

If by ‘miraculous’ you mean ‘deserved’, than right you are!

• alistaircrane says:

Nope, completely undeserved. Look at its terrible ratings. This is also the worst Whedon show ever.

• The Original Original says:

Erm, it’s one of the highest rated dramas on ABC, and has been consistent in its time slot for the majority of the season. How is that bad? And you keep getting opinion mixed up with fact. You should watch that. Makes you look kinda silly.

• jordan says:

@The original original

I just couldn’t let you get away with your many lies. How is SHEILD one of ABC’s highest rated shows? GA, Scandal, Resurrection, OUAT, DWTS, Bachelor, MF, all do better. And, TM, ST and Castle do the same. It’s a very mediocre hit. How has the show been consistent? lol The show started with a 4.7 in the demo. It was down to the 1.9 to 2.0 demo range at the end of the season. That’s an enormous drop. Do you know what the word consistent means? You didn’t say one fact. i think you’re getting opinions mixed up with facts. You’re very biased.

• I agree with you completely..I actually LOVE Agents of Shield, and the tie-ins with the movies is very well done :)

• Grace says:

Yes! Very deserved!
            I love love love AoS!
            Skyward! :)

• Patrick Maloney says:

You mean as miraculous as Supernatural surviving this long after Kripke leaving the show and it falling into teen angst CW abyss?

• alistaircrane says:

Supernatural is still quite a good show and is the CW’s highest-rated series this season.

• Jackie Pehl says:

And then they cancel Star-Crossed and that was a good show with a lot of good plots!! I am so upset about them cancelling it!!

• wingsstef says:

Lots of people enjoy Supernatural, and I am not faulting the show, but they do not have more viewers than Agents of SHIELD. Though CW does have a lower viewer renewal ratio than ABC.

• JJ says:

Its a damn good show and its already preparing for season 3!!!!

• Brandon says:

The Flash isn’t against AOS, AOS is moving an hour later.

• Jane says:

Not talking about the Flash, the comment was about Supernatural which is against AOS and I know lots of people who watch both.

• Jack R says:

In several larger markets in the Central Time Zone, the CW affiliates preempt their programming an hour to avoid going up against monsters like NCIS and TBBT. They run an early news program or syndicated sit coms. So, AOS and Flash will be head to head in these markets. No way this isn’t going to affect the Live numbers of both shows. It’s a possible miscalculation on the CW’s part for a freshman show. To be fair, FOX has already camped out Mondays with Gotham and Sleepy Hollow, so unless they were going to pair it with Arrow there only other choice is Thursday, which is a pretty crowded night but totally free of genre programming. That’s where I would have put it because ABC and CBS are both after different audiences on those nights in the Fall with the new 8 weeks of Football on CBS and the Shonda Rhimes block on ABC.

• Katherine215 says:

Just out of curiosity, what markets in the Central Time Zone does this happen? I know it doesn’t happen in Chicago, but I’d be interested in knowing which cities it does.

• Cody Drennen says:

I can say that this happens in the St. Louis market. Which sometimes it is great because I can watch something on there but other times it goes up against two or three shows that I wanna watch but that is what DVRs are for.

• JLK says:

I think that’s a valid concern. I already make the choice between AoS and SPN every week because I don’t get to sit down until around 9:00 ct when both have already popped up on the DVR. Until a few weeks ago, we always picked SPN. Then SPN had that vampire episode a couple weeks and lost me. I’m just tired of vampires everywhere, so when the choice was between AoS with the new Hydra is out there angle and SPN going to the vampire well again, I picked AoS. I’ve been making that same choice every week since then too. I know I’m just one person, so maybe I’m in a minority, but I think you may be right. It may make things harder on SPN.

• alistaircrane says:

That vampire episode of Supernatural was the best episode of the season.

• CBWBDK1 says:

Now you’re just being crazy! That episode was one of the worst supernatural episodes in years! Supernatural may be the show with the highest rating, but the last couple of seasons have been awfull! All this angel crap is ruining the show!!

• Marcel says:

Same here, cannot see any vampires shows anymore, overdone

• wingsstef says:

Since the show is going into it’s 10th season, I can’t see how you can say Supernatural isn’t supported. That said, I haven’t been a regular viewers in a few seasons. Though, I am going to check out Flash. Agents of SHIELD is not a bad show. I will be watching that too. I happen to enjoy the show, as do many others.

• alexjones says:

the flash ain’t against AOS. AOS have been moved to 9pm

• Jeff says:

supernatural is the best sure I believe anyways in my opinion

• Jack F. says:

I gave up on AOS after 3 episodes and won’t go back to it. Those characters don’t interest me so I’ll definitely by watching Flash. Hopefully Flash gets a strong opening which I think it will. SPN was not that good this past season. So much back and forth with Sam and Dean at odds with one another. Then there’s the angels that seem as bad as the demons, yet you don’t see much of the demons throughout the season.

2. Michelle says:

No…. Sucks that HoD is being held to mid season :-(

3. Francine says:

I get putting The Flash before Supernatural, but The Originals and Jane the Virgin? Yeah, I don’t think those shows have the same viewers….. though I guess I don’t know where else you’d put it.

• Shuayb says:

They should have put Reign and Jane the Virgin together and put TVD n TO together because its pretty much the same crowd always. Arrow and Flash should also be together. NCIS and NCIS LA do well because they are synergistic. Don’t know why they don’t realize that. Even if its too on the nose.

4. Frances says:

Makes sense to pair The Flash with Supernatural. Supernatural did a great job of helping launch Arrow and The Originals.

• Arie says:

Your post doesn’t make sense because these shows were the lead-in for SPN. So SPN had nothing to do with the ratings of these shows.

• Jenna Harris says:

Could have done though. If people were ready to watch Supernatural early, they would have the CW station on and could easily watch Arrow and The Originals while waiting for SPN to air

• Frances says:

I know lots of Supernatural fans who made the effort to watch both Arrow and The Originals, due to them being the lead ins to Supernatural. And look at how Arrow’s ratings have sunk this season, without Supernatural behind it.

• CBWBDK1 says:

Supernatural has been terrible for the past three seasons! All this angel crap is ruining the show.

• Brooke says:

All this angel crap? The angels were introduced in what, season 4? At this point, the angels have been on SPN for the majority of the show’s life. If you’re not a not a fan of the angels, I’m not sure why you’ve stuck around this long.

• Allison says:

Agreed.

• Katie1227 says:

I kind of agree with CBWBDK1. Sure, the angels are around since many, many, many seasons, but its not their existence as much as how they’re used that’s getting boring. Back in season 4-5, it was a show about the brothers and the angels were powerful being/warriors trying to influence their destiny and all. Now, angels are bad/shaddy politiciens in a office, with videoconference. The angel civil war has already been done in season 6. Even if the ”why” they’re at war with each other is different, its still feel the same. The brothers are just stuck in the background in this angel war 2.0.

I’m having a hard time to care about the finale. Not sure what they’re trying to accomplish. Are the brothers aiming more at killing Metatron or bringing back the angels in Heaven? Seem every week we’re switching focus on the goal. On day the goal is to kill Abbadon, the other day is sending the angel back, the next one we’re back to Abbadon, the next one is ”let’s kill Metatron”, the next one is some war between angels fractions killing each other for….we don’t know why, return to Abbadon, return to this and that. Getting hard to get excited and keep focus. The mythology has been a mess this year.

• alistaircrane says:

Brooke, f**k off. The angels indeed have been ruining Supernatural. In the earlier seasons, they never dominated the show or the stories. But this season, they have consumed the show. ENOUGH. Let’s get back to basics: Sam and Dean on the road hunting monsters!

• The Original Original says:

Bit strong of a reaction for an opinion about a television show there, alistaircrane.

• Brooke says:

Well, that escalated quickly.

• ninamags says:

Completely agree, CBWBDK1. The angel storyline is beyond tired and ridiculous.

• Lena says:

Every show has had a decrease in ratings. Even The Originals that come before…wait for it…Supernatural. So unfortunately Supernatural is not a miracle worker for a show. Arrow has an audience without Supernatural being behind it. If anything it is some choices the writers of Arrow have made that causes people not to watch. In Fall, Arrow had ratings up there with the same ratings The Originals had. The same Originals on the night with the Supernatural. So, Arrow doesn’t need that show. Sorry.

• alistaircrane says:

SPN has higher ratings than Arrow, just letting you know.

• Lena says:

@alistaircrane–So what? When Arrow first premiered and weeks after, it had higher ratings than Supernatural. It is all about the writing. It can hurt or help a show. Supernatural fans think EVERY success at the CW is connected to their show, but by CW standards, Arrow is doing okay WITHOUT Supernatural. Also, I won’t even bother to talk about some of the crappy ratings Supernatural has had in the past. Again, it is all about the writing.

• Lena says:

@alistaircrane, Btw, Supernatural just received this week the same ratings as The Originals and the same kind of ratings Arrow has been dealing with. My point is…it’s not a miracle worker. Arrow has been flying solo without Supernatural for a year now and it is doing great.

• Karina says:

I agree, I have watched SPN every season every episode – up until this season… I found myself having a hard time turning it on after episode 12 & just completely gave up on it. I hope they find a focus because its getting tired.

• alistaircrane says:

Wrong. The only reason I watched Arrow in its first season was because I was waiting for Supernatural to start at 9. I’m sure I’m not the only one who did that.

• ninamags says:

I did it too. Same for The Originals this year.

Both are great shows and I will follow The Originals when it moves to Monday. I will simply have to DVR Sleepy Hollow, or is it that new Gotham show?

5. Jake says:

im surprised they are keeping iZombie till midseason. i wonder where they plan to air The Messengers and iZombie. Also im hoping they announce this season of Supernatural and Hart of Dixie as their final seasons.

• Boiler says:

Why hoping HoD and Supernatural ending? Don’t watch Supernatural but who is to say anything is better? Jane the Virgin….terrible

• jake says:

I want them both to get proper final seasons and not just announce their ending few eps be for the finales. Besides supernatual will have gone on for 10 seasons. Thats more than enough for any show and with hart of dixie its ratings have been horrible this past season so I doubt they would give it another season.

• Dan says:

They aren’t going to just END Supernatural. it’s the highest rated show on the network. It’s one of those situations where they’ll know, going into a season, whether or not it’ll be the last. It’ll also, more than likely, end up ending when the two leads decide to end it. We’re having fun, they’re having fun… it’s a win-win situation for all. :)

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. I’m not sure why “fans” of SPN want it cancelled. If they don’t like the show anymore, they have the freedom to turn off the tv, change the channel, stop watching. But wishing cancellation on the show takes it away from the millions of us who love it and loyally tune in every week. Talk about selfish!

• Patrick says:

Plus, the cast is relatively inexpensive. Their are only two indispensable leads, who rightfully make a ton per ep. The rest of the cast is supporting players who are relatively cheap. Production values otherwise are reasonable.

Why not keep this on forever?

• Delirious says:

Looks like the roster additions for the CW are kinda lackluster. I mean, I’m really looking forward to Flash, Messengers and iZombie, but only seeing one in the fall schedule, and the other 2 left for midseason… Especially seeing the other networks have a bunch of new fall shows each, and the CW only have 2 + 2.

• alistaircrane says:

Supernatural will continue past Season 10 and will likely run up until the CW network ends in 2016.

• MB says:

Pretty sure Messengers will go in The 100 slot and iZombie in Jane The Virgin.

6. Dmav says:

Jane theVirgin sounds awful.

7. lara says:

the CW must really hates TO.

• rarefied says:

I’m guessing they’re looking to cancel it. That time slot kills all the CW shows dead in the water.

• Leah says:

Which is why they’re trying to fix it with TO. The last few seasons Mon/Tues were awful for the cw but they managed to fix Tues with TO/Spn and now they’re attempting to fix monday

• Taelor says:

Are you kidding me? This past season, The Originals was a tentpole series for The CW. They’re using it to improve their Mondays.

• Mikael says:

I wish it wasn’t moving to Mondays! That’s such a crowded night on the other networks! I know TO has been doing well for the CW, but to put it on Monday with a show that likely won’t have the same audience seems foolish to me.

8. Rebecca says:

The CW needs to pair The Originals with The Vampire Diaries and The Flash with Arrow!!

• Carla Krae says:

Yeah, I thought The Flash would be with Arrow this time. We’ll see if the schedule changes in a few months.

• Taelor says:

I think that their intention is not to have vampire overload or superhero overload each on one night.

• Ray says:

That’s a smart decision in my book. There’s no need to pair the spinoffs/franchises.

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. It worked for Buffy and Angel back in the WB days, but those shows crossed over fairly often and there were also less supernatural-themed shows back then.

• Patrick says:

I think the CW thinks all 4 shows will be hits for them, so they want to spread the love. I wanted Arrow and Flash together, but that is because Flash is the only show I watch on Wed, so I wanted 2 to watch.

• murley says:

Maybe they think the secret circle failed after vampire diaries because of that kind of overload. They don’t want to risk making the same mistake.

9. ninergrl6 says:

Looks good to me! All of my shows are staying put.

10. Zorkel says:

But now The Flash will be on the same time as NCIS… :(

• MB says:

Different demos and little audience crossover. The Flash would have been under greater threat from splitting audience with SHIELD had it not moved to 9pm.

• ninamags says:

Watch The Flash live and DVR NCIS. That way, when you watch NCIS you can fast forward through all the commercials. I usually watch all CW shows live, it’s crap to watch through their App since you can’t fast forward at all……

11. Diana says:

We think that both Heart of Dixie and Beauty and the Beast should have been on the fall schedule. What should have been cancelled is America’s Top Model and What’s My Line.

• Carla Krae says:

They don’t even have to cancel if they keep them for summer. It’s perfect summer programming. But the reality shows shouldn’t be during the main season.

• Boiler says:

Aah some sanity! I think all the networks should do that except for perhaps some of the bigger ones as Survivor, DWTS, Amazing race. A lot of talk about Monday but HoD did decent on Monday too.

• Brandy says:

Whose Line & TM do better ratings and are cheaper to make and have more syndication revunue than BatB,HoD.

12. CBWBDK1 says:

I was hoping for a flash/Arrow pairing.

13. qwert says:

The Originals is one of the best dramas The CW has (quality and ratings-wise) and yet they give it the Dixie/Beast/Crap treatment. Weird schedule IMO.

14. Amanda says:

I knew it:( so my Thursdays DVR schedule is died…at 9, I will have Scandal, The Blacklist, the CBS comedies (which my husband watches) and Reign…..all coming on at the same time!!!!!!

• Ray says:

Three words: TiVo Roamio Pro

• MB says:

That’s what encore showings are for ;P

• Ally Oop says:

Just like this year, my Mondays and Thursdays will be absolutely packed and this year Wednesdays too. And since Originals, Goldbergs and the now departed Trophy Wife will not be on Tuesdays I have absolutely NOTHING on Tuesdays. My hours of tv per weekday this fall are:
      Mondays – 5.5 hrs
      Tursdays – 0 hrs
      Wednesdays – 5.5 hrs
      Thursdays – 5.5 hrs
      Fridays – 2.5 hrs
      Sundays – 1 hour
      Most of my cable and Canadian network shows are on midseason.

15. Ashley says:

Wait, so does this mean The 100 starts back this October then?

16. Sabrina says:

Looks like a good schedule.

It’s good that they’re keeping Reign where it is as I doubt it would be able to survive airing after any other show.

17. TV Fan says:

Ugh CW really knows how to pick a crappy schedule.
    Tuesday night has been a great night for The Originals so I don’t understand why they’re moving it. & The Originals deserves so much better than being paired with Jane The Virgin.

18. MoniMoni says:

Early guess- Jane gets cancelled first and is replaced with iZombie and The Messengers takes over for The 100 when it’s 13 ep order is done.

19. Wouter says:

I was really looking forward to iZombie. Too bad we’ll have to wait until 2015

• Fogh says:

Really?.. What is it with a teenager eating brains that excites you?

• T says:

She’s not a teenager. She’s a medical doctor in her late twenties. Get your facts straight.

• Wouter says:

I’m mostly looking forward to it because it’s by Rob Thomas. The cast also looks really good. I have to agree the premise is a little silly, but that doesn’t have to make it a bad show (Buffy comes to mind)

• The Original Original says:

How could that concept NOT be cool? If she actually was in fact a teenager… which she’s not…

20. Jason says:

So Tuesdays i can DVR the NCIS’s and watch the Flash and then SHIELD… super…

21. The Original Original says:

I’d imagine that the CW is banking on the idea that TVD/TO fans will follow the shows no matter where they air, so putting The Originals on Monday is possibly a safe bet. Most of the fans will be just as happy to watch it in that slot as anywhere else. That said, Pairing it with Jane the Virgin seems like a terrible idea to me. That is the only show on the Fall schedule I won’t be watching. I thought the CW had let all the teen drama rubbish go in favour of the sci-fi fantasy genre shows that have proven so much more successful for them. I get that they might want to keep a little variety on the network but “Jane the Virgin”? Really? Even the title sounds lame.

22. Fogh says:

So HoD, BatB, IZombie (really?) and The messengers are airing in 2015. So which shows are they replacing? WLITA, ANTM, The 100 (13 episode season) and one cancelled show?

23. Taelor says:

Am I the only person here who likes the premise of Jane the Virgin? Y’all have to expand your viewing patterns. Don’t JUST watch action/fantasy shows. Genre is great, but other shows are, too.

• The Original Original says:

I watch television to see things I can’t see in real life. The world is full of girls getting pregnant. Not my idea of entertainment.

• Wouter says:

Nothing to do with expanding your viewing patterns. I watch all kinds of shows, but Jane the Virgin just sounds ridiculous. I will try the pilot though, i always like to give new shows a chance.

• Fogh says:

Again, I have to say.. this is coming from someone that is looking forward to IZombie.. which has the most ridiculous synopsis I’ve ever read.

I guess it is part of the CW’s plan to reach the 12-19 male demographic and shy away from the 25-40 female audience that actually does most of the shopping.

• The Original Original says:

Yeah… You really don’t get how the ratings system works and why it’s there, do you?

Advertisers don’t need to reach the people who already do the most shopping, now do they?

• Katherine215 says:

I watch a variety of shows, but I can’t think of any semi-realistic scenario where a person *accidentally* gets artificially inseminated. I mean, does she just not notice? The only way it’s feasible is some doctor error and that’s just lame to me. I’m happy to suspend disbelief to watch television, but come on.

24. Jon says:

Hmm, a little suprised they’re not going for a Flash/Arrow combo. But I don’t mind. They can still do awesome crossovers, they’ll just be two night events. But going up against NCIS is going to be tough.

• The Original Original says:

I think that is exactly the point of keeping Arrow and The Flash apart, Jon. Have them on the same night and you guarantee a steady(ish) audience all that night, but you waste the opportunity to get those viewers into other shows. This way anyone who would regularly tune in for both the DC series will also hopefully stick around for Supernatural and The 100 too. Two night events will be an added bonus when crossovers happen.

25. Ashbash says:

Why not schedule reign on Mondays with Jane the virgin. They both seem to target the same audience and having reign face off against scandal on Thursdays is going to kill its ratings it would be better off on Mondays but I was hoping they were going to schedule hart of Dixie with Jane the virgin they are the only two non-genre shows on the cw. And pairing the originals with the flash that makes no sense they should have done the superhero and vampire nights or did one theme night and pair the other with the 100. This schedule is horrible I hope the cw switches it around sooner rather than later.

• The Original Original says:

I have to agree with this. Reign is definitely the best partnership for Jane the Virgin. In fact it’s the only other show on the schedule that might actually help JTV to succeed. I genuinely can’t see many of The Originals fans I know sticking around to watch it.

• MB says:

Probably because when they tried to do that with BatB thinking they had a hit on their hands it collapsed with out the support of TVD. This time around they’re most likely leaving Reign where it is to solidify it’s fan base. Honestly I was expecting Jane to go with Reign or HoD.

26. Drew says:

CW schedules never make sense. The Flash should obviously be with Arrow (even their promo revolved around Arrow). Wouldn’t I zombie go better with Supernatural? Jane the Virgin with Reign or Hart of Dixie? TVD with The Originals? I get wanting to boost new shows but pairing shows properly would help that.
    At least Tuesdays and Wednesdays are still good shows. I will probably watch those live.

• Pairing superhero shows with Supernatural has always worked well — this was proven with both Arrow and then Smallville before that. From my perspective, the reason they wouldn’t want to put spin-off shows on the same night is because it could potentially alienate a crossover audience. By having a night dedicated to just shows in the TVD or DC Comics universes, you limit that night’s ratings to a core audience of fans. While spin-offs originate from another show, the goal is still to cultivate and grow an audience so that new fans can jump in and stay invested beyond the original series’ longevity. Why would you just keep Flash on the same night as Arrow when people who like the new series might stick around and add a few more eyeballs to Supernatural? If the audience is too similar between the two shows that get paired together, the difference is minimal — you’re looking for that sweet spot where the difference is just enough to work in swaying viewers who wouldn’t watch the series that get paired together otherwise.

Now with that being said, I have no clue why they paired The Originals with Jane The Virgin — that makes absolutely no sense and reminds me of when America’s Next Top Model got paired with Nikita.

• Drew says:

I can see that, but it isn’t always the best idea. The Originals and Supernatural are both supernatural shows, but have a different audience. The pairing didn’t work. The Originals did okay, but I don’t think that there was a ton of crossover. Arrow worked with Supernatural because of similar audiences. Even with different genres, they are shows that appeal to guys. The Originals isn’t really a “guy” show. So The Flash will work in that sense, but they could have knocked Wednesdays out of the water with a big DC night. Yes, they would blow two high profile shows on one night, but if The Flash gets the same buzz as Arrow (which is constantly cited as what Agents of SHIELD should be doing) it would be a big critical darling of a night, which I’m not sure the CW has any of right now. They have some strong shows, don’t get me wrong, but nothing compared to the Arrow buzz that I have seen around the internet. The CW is failing to catch on the way The WB did back in the day. They could use a really strong must-see night.

• Catty88 says:

Reign is too dark a show to be put with JTV as well as TO. Its only compatible show would be hod.

27. So what are we putting the over/under at for Jane The Virgin getting cancelled… 5 episodes?

• The Original Original says:

Oh, it’ll run for at least as long as Emily Owens or Cult…

• spignejr says:

Abysmal ratings for 2 episodes. And then done. I’m thinking more along the lines of The Beautiful Life and Runaway, that both got cancelled after a few episodes.

• MB says:

So a final summer burn off after a shocking start? I could live with that.

28. Joey Padron says:

Hope The Flash will do well on Tuesdays. Bummer Hart Of Dixie is going to premiere next year. It’s gonna be a long wait.

29. Sabrina says:

Although I think the schedule is good I don’t see the point of not putting HOD on Friday instead of WLIIA? Surely they want the show to get 22 episodes for syndication or do they really have so little faith in Jane the Virgin that they think it will be cancelled after a few airings and HOD can then take its place?

• Brandy says:

I think HoD will be like Nikita and get less than 22 episodes for syndication but still be syndicated

30. J says:

I don’t get The CWs Monday schedule other than trying too see if Jane the Virgin hits or not. I can’t imagine it doing much in that timeslot but atleast the network can replace it with BATB or HoD when it gets pulled from the schedule.

31. Carla Krae says:

From Deadline – Pedowitz told reporters: “8:53 AM ET: Another reporter wondered why The Originals has been paired with Jane the Virgin on Monday. Because The Originals “skews more female than male” and CW execs “thought that was a good lead-in for Jane the Virgin because that will skew very heavily female. That’s why we went in that direction,” Pedowitz said.”

Oy. Not a terribly great reason.

• The Original Original says:

I don’t doubt that there is a slight bias toward female viewers for The Originals but in my experience there are more guys watching TO than do The Vampire Diaries. So by that logic it might have made more sense to move TVD to Monday instead, especially as that show is longer in the tooth and therefore can probably afford to shed viewers more than TO can.

32. alistaircrane says:

The Originals is banished to my DVR because I will be watching Gotham live. I have no interest in the CW’s new series. I wish iZombie wasn’t straying so far from the source material, plus I resent Rob Thomas for working on this show instead of a Veronica Mars sequel or fourth season. I am not interested in the Barry Allen Flash—my Flash is Wally West. Jane the Virgin looks awful in every way, and the Messengers gives me a weird religious vibe.

• Drew says:

I am a Wally West fan too, but you can’t jump right to Wally. His back story is too closely tied to Barry.
      Maybe we can get a Wally and Roy spinoff someday.
      Rob can’t work on Veronica Mars any more than he has right now. He needed to see how the movie performed and there are a lot of other elements at play. He still needs to feed his kids, so try not to blame the guy for working.

• alistaircrane says:

A Roy Harper spinoff? No way! The heir to the Green Arrow mantle is Oliver’s son Connor Hawke. See, Connor is my generation’s Green Arrow, which is why I don’t watch Arrow.
        I’m allowed to feel however I want about Rob, just as he is allowed to do whatever he wants. Doesn’t mean I am going to support his new show, however.

33. Fogh says:

So Spring Schedule ideas?

MONDAY
    8 pm The Vampire Diaries
    9 pm Reign
    FRIDAY
    8 pm BatB
    9 pm HOD

34. sarah says:

URGH! I am so mad that they have moved the Originals! It was perfect on Tuesdays, or it would have been good on Thursdays after Vampire Diaries! Just like Flash would have been a perfect pairing with Arrow!

• sarah says:

Just looked at what The Originals will be up against! Mondays are a death night for shows on the CW! It will be up against Big Bang Theory and Dancing with the Stars. ( I do not watch those shows but they always have good ratings and people will follow the Big Bang Theory to its new night. Also with Gotham airing on Fox at the same time I just have a feeling The Originals will suffer!

35. David says:

It kind of makes me sad that their only new show without some type of superhero or supernatural twist to it has such a horrible premise. They have such a history with shows like OTH and Dawsons Creek and Gilmore Girls. When Parenthood goes off the air this year there really will be a void on family dramas and that’s something that CW could differentiate themselves with. I want Jane the Virgin to be good but it just sounds too far fetched.

• Fogh says:

It makes me sad too.. Why does every show have to be about vampires, zombies or other far fetched fantasy creatures. I get some people want stuff they can’t relate to, but a lot of us only watch show that has some realism and that we can relate to. How someone can fawn over the love between two vampires is beyond me. How is that romantic or worth rooting for when it as far from reality as you can get?

• The Original Original says:

The majority of people who like science fiction and fantasy aren’t watching for love stories, Fogh. Far from it. I’ve no problem with the relationship parts of the story for me but they are secondary (by a long stretch) to the action/adventure aspects. Monsters, ghosts, demons, aliens, time travel, alternate realities, immortality. The kind of things you can only get from enjoying fiction.

Television gives you an opportunity to spend time away from reality. If you want people you can relate to, there is a whole world full of them. Stop watching television and go outside. I don’t see any point in watching regular people do regular things when that is what you see every time you leave the house.

• Fogh says:

So why does every fantasy show have love stories and love triangles?.. because shippers are a MAJOR part of TV today. Shippers keep shows on the air because they keep watching long after the get bored with the show itself. If the majority watched it for the fiction and not the hot women and men, then shows like TVD would have been dead long ago.

• The Original Original says:

Pretty much every genre of show, be that science fiction, fantasy, action, comedy, teen drama, hospital drama, procedural or anything else, has a relationship type storyline somewhere along the lines. No one is denying that, least of all me. What I’m saying is that the sci-fi and fantasy fans aren’t watching for that reason. Which I would think was fairly obvious. You don’t really think that most of the Walking Dead fan base is tuning in every week to make certain Glenn and Maggie are together, do you? Or watching Game of Thrones to see which two crazy kids are getting together this week? Unless you count the Wincest shippers, or those convinced Dean and Cas are hot for each other, Supernatural hasn’t survived ten seasons because of the fans wanting relationships. Some fantasy type shows (like TVD) play the shipping card quite heavily but not all. In most cases the fans are there for the story.

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. Shipping is very important to fandom. I ship a couple on just about every show I watch. With SPN, I ship Seam/Dean (I’m into Wincest).

• david says:

There is a place for all of that. I think the point is that there is a huge gap in the market for real family or people based dramas that aren’t set in some type of supernatural setting. The CW can really differentiate themselves from other networks by pursuing that audience as well as the audience that may get into the fantasy type shows. They have a history of success with them and in many cases some of their longest running shows are people/family drama based. That’s why it’s so disappointing when a show like Jane the Virgin is their entry in that genre for the year. That’s one of the reasons why I think it was so important for CW to keep Hart of Dixie. It’s audience (albeit small than they probably would have liked) has followed it from night to night and it’s remained consistent.

• The Original Original says:

Thing is though, David, there was a time when all the CW did was aim for the teen/family drama market, and it nearly ran the network into the ground. Since moving more towards a sci-fi/fantasy theme however, they have been the only network of the big five to see improvement in the last few seasons. That has to be telling them something.

I will agree with you though. If you’re going to try add a little diversity with a teen drama series, Jane the Virgin was a poor choice to go with.

• Julie says:

Hey David,
            It looks like ABC Family is now the network for family dramas. Switched at Birth, The Fosters, and I think it’s new series Chasing Life show ordinary family life with a twist (glimpse into the deaf community and a same-sex couple raising a family).

36. Katherine215 says:

If the CW was only going to air two new shows in the fall, and the Flash was almost guaranteed to be one of them, why did they choose Jane over iZombie? I thought there was much more buzz with the latter than the former. Also, if you’re going to air Jane, they should’ve put it with HoD, at least. Some of these scheduling decisions by the networks this year are just baffling.

37. Michael says:

HoD till midseason?! REALLY?! Same with iZombie?

Jane – blah, messengers – blah, 100 – blah.

This [upcoming] year seems like the worst season CW has had in a good while.

38. Dan says:

So pleased Whose Line is back. No doubts, but glad to see it official. Hopefully they can stay clear of special guests unless they are truly funny people. The Verne Troyer segment and the one with the Sumo wrestler were truly sad.

39. Jack R says:

When numbers and demographics are more important than ever when competing for dwindling network audiences, I’m often shocked at how much the networks don’t seem to pay attention to what the others are doing in terms of scheduling shows with similar audiences. Especially with genre shows. A recent head scratcher a few years ago was putting Grimm up head to head with Fringe and the Friday night line up on SciFi. Admittedly, it paid off somehow for Grimm (probably because a lot of Fringe watchers used their DVR’s) but putting new shows up against other shows going for the same audience, on the same night, seems like stacking the deck against yourself. Here we have The Flash running the same night as SHIELD. Officially, they’ll occupy different time slots, but unofficially certain CW affiliates, particularly in the Central time zone, delay shows by one hour to avoid competition against things like The Big Bang Theory and NCIS and run an early local news hour. So, in several key markets, Flash will now go head to head against SHIELD. This will a real impact on the Live numbers of both shows. I’m glad I have a DVR…

• Carla Krae says:

When upfronts happen, I don’t think they know what the confirmed schedules are for the other networks until the official announcements. Which is why the schedules change every year closer to fall. The networks will take hard looks at their content vs. the others and act accordingly.

40. Nate says:

They have Jane a full season??! What kind of b.s. is this??? They better put iZombie or Messengers there

• alistaircrane says:

It doesn’t have a full season, only 13 episodes, just like the midseason shows. Jane might get 22 episodes if it is successful right of the gate, but I expect it to be cancelled early.

• jm says:

last year many said Reign has no future, and i say otherwise and Reign survived. Funny i had no time to watch it and the only two new shows i watched, TTP and SC, were the two to be cancelled

41. suzyku says:

Friday nights at the CW look boring and old!

42. Scooter Smith (@scoboot) says:

So, I take it this means that the CW did not pickup the Supernatural:Bloodlines spinoff that they tried to backdoor pilot a couple weeks ago?

43. Tran says:

Surprised that Originals is now going up against Gotham in the 8 p.m. Monday night time slot. Reign is facing a tough competition with Scandal in the 9 p.m. Thursday night time slot and Jane the Virgin doesn’t stand a chance but it may very well be one of the front runners as the first new show of the Fall TV season to get canceled.

44. dman6015 says:

Meh. No one over the age of 25 cares about The CW. It’s the high school/college network.

45. Adele says:

Midseason is a long wait for Beauty and the Beast, but I know it will be worth it,

46. Cathy Joyce says:

I hate that my favorite show “Hart of Dixie” won’t be on for a while. Please bring it back soon. I will miss very much. It is a fabulous show and makes me happy!

47. Ella says:

Why not pair Arrow and The Flash together?! It boggles the mind.

48. Laura Markl says:

I watch Matvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in my option it is a good show. It will not be up against Flash. It will be up against Supernatural. If anybody watches both then during the days of DVR there is no conflict. I do not watch Supernatural .Every person has different interest. There is enough shows on you can pick what you like. If you do not like what I like then you do not have to like it. Just do not be ugly to somebody just because somebody likes a show. As far as what the numbers say about certain shows says they are not accurate. They only count a percentage of people who actually watch shows.

• wingsstef says:

Good post. I don’t have a DVR, but I do have On-Demand and/or Hulu (plus network specific streaming) if any of my shows overlap. I like comic-like shows, but I also watch soapy dramas and comedies.

49. Britt says:

I’m a bit annoyed that they replaced Star Crossed with Jane the Virgin or Izombie, for that matter. Personally, I feel like there’s too much Zombie on TV as it is, and JTV sounds like something that should run on ABC fam, after Pretty Little Liars or something. I’d much rather see Star Crossed get a second season, or even The Tomorrow People.

50. Seriously? says:

What does CW have against putting spinoffs with mother shows? Why don’t they just switch Reign with Originals and 100 with Flash so we can have interacting shows on the same night? Wouldn’t that just make, you know, sense?

• Ben says:

They want to expose fans of The Vampire Diaries and The Originals to the other shows on the network. Putting these two shows on different nights does that to an extent.