Reign Season Finale Recap: Born To Die

Reign Season FinaleThe CW’s Reign concluded its freshman season Thursday with more twists than you’d find in one of Aylee’s braids. (Sorry, still too soon for an Aylee reference? Rest in peace, lady.)

RELATED | Reign‘s Toby Regbo Talks New Baby Drama and a ‘Satisfying’ Season Finale Reveal

THE KING IS DEAD | Let’s be real for a second; considering last week’s episode ended with Henry declaring his intentions to kill Francis and wed Mary, we all knew something had to give in the finale. That “something” turned out to be Henry’s life, which he lost after an over-zealous jousting match (with Francis!) that he had no business entering in the first place. Considering how crazy Henry became during the second half of the season, his death was surprisingly painful to watch. At least we got a nice Bash/Francis hug out of the ordeal; their hugs can heal the world.

TRUTH HURTS | After going into labor, Lola sent word about her predicament to Mary, fearing she might not live long enough to care for her baby. What she probably didn’t expect, however, was for Mary to spill the beans about the baby’s paternity to Francis, and the dramatic confrontation that ensued. Needless to say, Francis was pretty pissed to discover Mary had been keeping that from him. Oh, and he’s probably going to catch the Black Death, so get pumped for Season 2.

Reign Season FinaleHELLO, DARKNESS, MY OLD FRIEND | Bash and Nostradamus spent the finale hot on the trail of the ever-elusive Darkness, not realizing their prey was back at French Court, attempting to kidnap Pascal and make a meal out of Kenna. The dynamic duo (#Nash?) returned in time to best the Darkness, who turned out to be super-ugly under his hood, and learned of his real plan: the pagans had been sacrificing children to save off the Plague, which he believes is now certain to return. (But hey, at least Bash and Kenna got to say “I love you” before everyone dies a miserable Plague-induced death.)

LOVE GAMES | Leith, now the owner of some sweet property, thought his future with Greer was set… until she explained that it’s still not enough to pay off her father’s debt and secure a future for her sisters. A near-death experience (not involving a “pet monkey,” despite Henry’s wild speculation) was almost enough to change Greer’s mind, but she was ultimately too afraid to break things off with her fiancé. Speaking of Greer’s betrothed, he also happens to the father of the girl Leith appears to be moving on with. Their next Christmas dinner is going to be so awkward.

Reign fans, what did you think of the season finale? Any hopes/fears for next season? Rate the episode below, then drop a comment with more of your thoughts.

1. Nicole says:

Loved the hug between Francis and Bash. Great moment!!!

2. Khorrie says:

Yes, I can believe they killed King Henry because he actually dies. I was mostly impressed they killed him the way he died in real life.

3. spindae2 says:

I must say it was a strong episode, it didn’t felt forced Just an emotional, character driven story, setting up great stories for season 2.
    the brother hug was awesome, toby regbo killed it.

4. ChrisGa says:

They’ve been telegraphing Henry’s death for the last several episodes now(and yes, I know it was inevitable either way). From a totally shallow viewpoint, it’s too bad because he was the hottest man on the show, bar none.

5. anon says:

Um, DUH I can believe they killed off Henry. Have you read a history book?

• tv2day says:

Its a TV show not a documentary lol! All historical ties went out the window when the kings orchestra played Lorde “Royals” a few episodes back. This show started slow but ended up being an okay show to watch off dvr.

• Andy Swift says:

Considering this show’s penchant for veering from history, I was still a little surprised they killed off Henry. Sure, we all knew it would happen eventually, but not this soon.

• tp says:

I think this whole season has moved too fast. I get the rush to the wedding because that was supposed to be the season finale but i wish they had slowed down after that. At this rate they’ll need a whole new cast by winter hiatus because Francis will be dead and Mary will head back to Scotland.

• ? says:

They’re still loosely following the history so far, using it as guideposts for their story, so yeah, it was obvious Henry would die, ’cause Francis needs to be king for a little while before he too dies, which historically is supposed to happen not too long after he marries Mary. Which would be sometime next season, if they keep staying true to following the major events in the real Mary’s life. Which I hope they don’t, because her life story is really, really sad, and she was much more of a passive figure than the strong woman she is on the show–one who’s able to influence her destiny in a way her real-life counterpart never did.

• Carla Krae says:

Mary and Francis were married about a year and a half.

• ? says:

I hope Mary and Bash do some kind of dark pagan rite to change Francis’s fate; I hope he lives and they have children and the series ends with Mary on the throne in Whitehall, Queen of Scotland, England, and France after she cuts off her cousin Elizabeth’s head. And why not? It’s fiction! Do it like that Quentin Tarantino movie where you know they can’t kill Hitler because they didn’t kill Hitler but then they kill Hitler anyway and everyone’s happy.

• holly says:

I totally agree…10000 percent….change it up and make play out like it should have in real life…queen mary deserves that….not the history that she got….I think she would be proud…

• tp says:

They werw married almost 3 years. A year before Henry died and the roughly a year and a half after Francis became king.

6. Sarah says:

I loved that last scene with Henry and Francis, it gave so much depth and insight to his relationship with both of his sons.

Two things bugging me: Mary’s black and gold dress with the keyhole looks VERY similar to the Alexander McQueen gown Kate Hudson wore to the Golden a globes a few years ago.

Secondly, what is with the rather abrupt shift in Kenna’s character? The girl only could think with….well, not her brain, and now she’s a vulnerable ingenue smitten with Bash, who she never looked twice at EVER.

• tp says:

Idk about it being the same dress but Mary’s dress was AM.

• ninergrl6 says:

I thought the same thing about Mary’s dress. During a commercial break I googled a pic of Kate Hudson’s, and even though hers had shoulder pads & gold accents at the waist, I think it’s the same dress.

7. Jamie says:

I absolutely love Adelaide Kane, however this season’s breakout star of Reign is Toby Regbo. Without him, the emotional scenes would have the weight they do. Take Francis and Bash hugging, that was easily one of the best scenes of the series so far. He ups the caliber of everyone around him. It is simply stunning to see his work.

• cheryl stolba says:

You are SO right! Toby is mesmerizing! In some scenes he takes my breath away (I.e. hug with Bash). I know that historically he dies after one year of marriage, but the producers need to divert to fiction….Toby is the heart of the entire show! Hope you’re l 9:30…I listening CW!

8. The hug was AWESOME. AWESOME.

9. Brandy says:

I’m glad Francis knows the truth about the baby and hope Lola dosent die.Loved the moment between Bash & Francis when Bash started to kneel before his king but Francis pulled him off the floor into a hug of a brothers.Im glad thier relationship is fixed.I though Bash & Kenna are cute together in the last few episodes and thier moment of ” ily, I’ve found my happenies with you” moment,

10. The finale was better than I expected, though I will miss King Henry. And I agree with others, Toby Regbo is the breakout star. His acting is what draws me deeper into the show every week! Reign has an amazing find in him!

11. Kristen says:

I know that the focus of the show isn’t supposed to be 100% historically accurate, but France captured Calais in January 1558 and Henry didn’t die until July 1559. That being said, I’m impressed with the level of accuracy the show has maintained so far.

• tp says:

The showrunners said they were going to stick to the major happenings in history. I just hope they slow down. Francis dies roughly 18 months after he becomes king. If they keep up this pace he’ll be dead 3 episodes in. Toby Regbo brings it every episode and I don’t want to see him go too soon. He’s the main reason I watch the show.

• James says:

They can always stretch out the timeline if necessary but they’ll be on borrowed time as I can see them only stretching out the gap before his death for a whole season.

And this is why Reign is in such a unique place to begin with.

12. Tiffany says:

The season finale was awesome.. But history is boring and I don’t want to see toby regbo die I feel that this show should ver from history and do it like this.. What if francis didn’t die what if Mary took over England what if francis brought back his son and Mary and him raised it as there own then Mary got pregnant with francis more on Greer and leith and the weirdness of whats happening but they still love eachother more then the people they r with and hopefully end up together Kenna and bash they r good no more bash and Mary that was soooooo annoying and boring Lola should die as well and neither the baby or francis should get infected with the plague just saying that story sounds 10x better to be then history

13. ninergrl6 says:

I gasped out loud at least 3 times during this episode. Kudos to the writers for keeping things surprising even though we know what’s going to happen. Surrounding the historically accurate moments (Henry dying after a jousting mishap) there were a lot of moments that caught me off guard, and I love that. It’s remarkable that a series based on ACTUAL events that happened hundreds of years ago is less predictable than most of the shows on tv. *coughTVDcough*
    The bro hug was possibly my favorite moment of the entire season.

• alexandrrina says:

Hah, the TVD comment is very spot on… :D I feel like I’ve been watching this show just so I could shout out “called it” at least 12 times per episode :D

14. Britt says:

The CW has been having some great season finales! I will say that I can’t stand Greer’s dad!!!! He is keeping her away from Leith and I don’t like that at all. The moment with Francis and Henry was great as well as the hug. Lastly, I hope Lola doesn’t die because we are going to run out of characters. I will miss Henry too. I find him hilarious.

15. nate says:

So, i bet this plague is how francis gets sick and dies 18 months later….

16. Vona says:

Torrance Coombs calles Nostradomus and Bash scences #Bastardamus on his twitter.

17. Liza says:

Great episode! I knew that Henry was going to die, but it still bothered me because he was so awesome!!! I am enjoying how they are being historically accurate on the big events, but then take a lot of creative liberties for entertainment value. So glad this was renewed. I agree that they need to slow down though or Francis will be dead soon too and I love him!!!!

18. Becky says:

I loved the scene between Bash and Francis after Henry’s death. But my poor Leith. :(

19. Ava says:

So glad Reign was renewed! Love it!!

20. Ella says:

Best moment for me was the hug between Francis and Bash <3

21. Nicole says:

Greer really angered me. My poor Leith :( My poor shipper heart, on all fronts except Kennash. I honestly thought Castleroy was cheating on Greer until the daughter reveal!

• tp says:

I didn’t think Castleroy was that old that he has a daughter Greers age. That’s kinda…..ewww.

• Isobel says:

Well he has grey hair, and the large age gap was actually more realistic for the time, women married as soon as they could bare children but men had to make something of themselves and prove they could support a family.

22. Lisa says:

Sorry to see King Henry die. He was a great character on the show. And where does that leave Catherine? I hope Lola doesn’t die but I think she might and Francis will bring the baby home for Mary to raise as her own. I can’t stand seeing Bash and Kenna together. Kenna is such a spoiled self-centered brat. Their “loving” relationship isn’t convincing at all. I hope Mary turns to Bash for comfort and gets pregnant with his child. And finally, I really don’t care if the show follows history accurately. It doesn’t matter. The show is fictional and very entertaining. Can’t wait until Season 2!

• Isobel says:

Catherine becomes regent in history but maybe the show will have her simply as Queen Mother, with Francis as King she’s fine

23. Amanda says:

I loved the finale and whole season. I hope Mary is on the throne of all three countries and Francis ultimately lives. I can understand Francis anger about the baby but how mad can he be since he is the one who slept with Lola and kept that a secret from Mary!!!! I know Mary’s real history which is so sad. so would love the show to be different the opposite…like well..what if this was what really happened.kind of thing. anxious to see who is going to play Elizabeth .

24. Jude says:

The Francis/Bash hug was the climax of the season. Despite the King’s meddling his sons will always stand together. Great finale. Looking forward to next season.

25. cheryl stolba says:

I am obsessed with Reign. I haven’t been a devoted fan of any single show for years, but Reign has me hooked! That said, Toby Regbo is the standout actor on the show. Each week his performance is mesmerizing. When he was missing from a few episodes in mid-season, I almost changed the channel. Producers, please don’t follow history…if you kill the character of Francis, you will be killing the heart and soul of the show!