Arrow Ups John Barrowman to Series Regular: 'I Am Excited to Explore What Is Yet to Come'

Arrow Barrowman Series RegularTo quote John Barrowman at The CW’s Upfronts event red carpet on Thursday morning, “You can’t keep a good bad guy down” — fitting words, given that one hour later, TVLine confirmed that the genre-TV fave has been promoted to series regular status for Arrow Season 3.

RELATED | The CW Fall Schedule Revealed: Flash Paired With Supernatural, The Originals on the Move

Arrow lead Stephen Amell first broke the news via Twitter, mugging with Malcolm/The Dark Archer’s portrayer and quipping: “What could go wrong???”

Speaking with TVLine on the red carpet, Barrowman said that in Season 3 he is “excited to explore what is yet to come between Malcolm and [daughter] Thea” — whom he whisked out of town at the close of Wednesday’s Season 2 finale — “and also what’s yet to come between Oliver and Malcolm, and all of the rest of them.”

RELATED | Arrow Season 2 Finale Recap: Fight Night

1. Kevin says:

Fantastic news!

2. JJM says:

I’m assuming that Manu Bennett is no longer a regular and that the actress that plays Amanda Waller will most likely be upgraded to series regular due to the season 3 arc?

• Jason says:

losing manu, but gaining capt jack is not that bad a deal, no?

• mainecane says:

not really. I will miss manu on the clips off the island. That said after the end flashback id expect weller’s portrayer to be a regular next season also if only for flashbacks. I can’t wait for season 3 of arrow and the preimere of the flash.

• Kat says:

Sara aka Caity Lotz was never a series regular and was in basically every episode, so doesn’t necessarily mean that Amanda will be a regular next season ;-) (The character :P)

• ChrisGa says:

As much as I love Manu Bennett, not sorry to see Deathstroke go(or Ravager/Isabel). Would definitely like to see more of this incarnation of Amanda Waller though; the actress playing her is very good.

• DL says:

Funny how I have the exact opposite reaction to Waller’s actress. Though maybe it’s just because I really wanted Regina King. She would’ve been amazing.

• CBWBDK1 says:

I completely disagree! I can’t stand the actress! She ruined spartacus! She was so terrible!!

• Lucius says:

John Barrowman being promoted to series regular is awesome news. That last scene with Malcolm and Thea was delicious in a “join me and I will complete your training kind of way. Cynthia Addai-Robinson is the best Amanda Waller ever in my opinion. She’s Hot and very believable.I loved Manu in the first season (and the second) but the Deathstroke storyline this season grew tiresome, ridiculous and unbelievable (If I hear him say “Kid” one more time I’m going to scream). All This and more interplay between odd couple Diggle and Deadshot means I can’t wait to see what happens in season 3.

• Mikael says:

I actually really like this Amanda Waller. She has a great commanding presence. I’m a huge Marvel fan and I like Cobie Smulders, but she is not good as Maria Hill. They needed someone believable, like Arrow’s incarnation of Waller.

• ? says:

That’s my guess, too. I think Paul Blackthorne will still be around, and I haven’t given up hope on Caity Lotz . . .

• kath says:

Caity Lotz remained a guest star all season and she was in every episode since her first introduction.

The actress playing Amanda Waller will probably not be a series regular.

• Josh says:

the irony of losing crixus but gaining naivia….

3. Lena says:

Wonderful news!!

4. Tjj50 says:

Woo hoo! I love John! It’ll be great to have him back in Arrowverse fulltime! Will miss his scenes with Moira, though,

5. Sarah T. says:

Excellent news! Seriously can’t wait for Season 3!

6. ggny says:

I thought Willa Holland would be leaving the show. But i guess not

• Riana says:

No, she wouldn’t leave without getting desire to be in costume which she has expressed since the beginning.

7. Anna says:

The more Barrowman the better! Love this (and him)!

• eddie says:

I loved his character during season one but whenever he popped up during season two he felt very cartoony to me. here’s hoping that stops.

8. Anthony says:

And you know, you can’t spell Barrowman without “arrow.”

9. Nessie says:

This makes me SO happy!

10. Jimmy says:

Kudos to the producers of Arrow. This is long overdue. Perhaps his addition will actually allow the character of Thea to become more interesting.

11. mike says:

awesome

12. Ben says:

I am soooooo excited right now by this news, not an avid poster, but I can’t help myself. Capt. Jack!!! Arrow is by far the example on how to make a superhero TV show. The storylines that will come from this is endless.

13. Lysh says:

I was worried he and Thea would go off to the mountains and learn archery and the ways of being evil, but this makes me SO HAPPY. I’m always pleased to see John Barrowman on my screen. I need Oliver to know he’s still alive ASAP.

14. CBWBDK1 says:

That’s great news!! Barrowman is fantastic as merlyn!

15. John NYC says:

That plaid?

Interesting fashion choice….

16. Polly says:

BARROWMAAAAAAN *shakes fist*

17. Mack says:

My guess for Season 3 the main villain since Barrowman is now a series regular will be Thea with Malcolm help/suggestion/control like.

18. Drew says:

I am still thinking that they should have kept him dead. I mean, there is just no excuse for him to be alive right now and it makes Oliver and Diggle look like complete morons. Maybe the Thea arc will be great and I will change my mind, but I didn’t even get how she came to think that leaving with him would be a good idea, unless she is planning to destroy him.
    I think the writers could turn it around but right now I am not thrilled to see him come back.

• tp says:

I’m so glad I’m not the only one. I don’t want him back and I was hoping Thea would leave with him and stay gone. Thea has always worked my nerves ten times what Laurel ever did.

• David says:

Easy enough to explain since he is part of the League of Shadows – He used the Lazarus Pit to come back and I am sure they will explain that at some point. As far as Thea – I believe she will head down the dark path, once she finds out who Ollie is, she will be mad a while and the villain, but by next season finale, she will become Speedy.

19. Phyllis Strickland says:

This is the best news ever! Now if only BBC would announce a new season of Torchwood!

• Linda says:

I was thinking the same thing Phyllis! I love Torchwood and would love to see another season.

• dman6015 says:

Torchwood is dead.

• Gemma says:

That’s what happens when you kill off 60% of your cast within 5 episodes. Nope, still not over it, but I do miss the show.

• EJ386 says:

I’m so with you… I miss Ianto. Torchwood was awesome and they destroyed it, still I would watch every new episode religiously, to bad it’s never going to happen.

• Rick Katze says:

I agree provided they go back to the format of season 1 and 2. Was not really impressed with the third and fourth season acts. But that would presume that the BBC has any intelligence and the B@ll B@st@ng Corp. has demonstrated its lack of intelligence far too many times despite having a wealth of great product from its British writers and actors.

• EJ386 says:

Children of Earth was good storytelling although I would rather have they kept Ianto alive. Miracle day was weird and lost the Torchwood-vibe. However Jack Harkness is still one of the best TV characters, and they could bring back Captain John Hart, they had great chemistry, both as friends and as enemies. I would love to see their adventures.

20. amy says:

If Sarah left, what about Sin? Will she be back? I like Roy having a friend who is sort of his Felicity.

• John NYC says:

While Sarah went with the LoA voluntarily I’m not so sure she’d voluntarily expose Sin to that world…

21. Essie says:

That’s really good news! He is a great actor.

22. terpcj says:

The only way I can muster any enthusiasm for this is if Nyssa has to regularly come back to serve LoA interests in keeping Merlyn on a short leash (i.e. not so much with the catastrophic urban renewal). At least we’re off the island for a while; that had gotten repetitive.

23. zacqua10 says:

I had seen a rumor posted months back that season three would be Merlyn and Deathstroke teaming up against the Arrow. I wonder if that’s actually true?

24. David F. says:

Great news. Now lets upgrade Sara and Nyssa, ditch Laurel, and get this party started.

25. kath says:

Bring on the scenery chewing! Malcolm Merlyn is one of the most fun villains around.

26. Well Well says:

Malcolm a series regular on Arrow and Alaric a series regular on Vampire Diaries. I guess the CW PTB really do love us.

27. Briggs says:

Hee hee. :) The pic is great, just as good as the pic of Barrowman with Willa and a tube of lipstick. And John Barrowman is awesome, no doubt about it. His grin at the end was deliciously creepy. No wonder Thea was trying to take up as little space as possible…

28. I’m estatic. Great charater, excellent character actor. Can’t wait for fall!!!