NBC's Rosemary's Baby: Did It Deliver?

rosemarys-baby-miniseries-premiereNBC took a rather chilling approach to the Mother’s Day celebrations on Sunday with the debut of two-part horror miniseries Rosemary’s Baby (9/8c).

Are you compelled to stick around for Part Two?

RELATEDZoe Saldana Talks New Rosemary’s Baby: The Hair! The Gore! The Age-Appropriate Hottie!

Based on Ira Levin’s 1967 novel of the same name, the miniseries follows married couple Rosemary (Zoe Saldana, Avatar) and Guy Woodhouse (Patrick J. Adams, Suits), who start a new life in Paris after Rosemary suffers a heartbreaking miscarriage.

It’s an odd twist of fate that leads the Woodhouses to Margaux and Roman Castevet (played by French actress Carole Bouquet and Awake‘s Jason Isaacs, respectively). When Rosemary is mugged on the streets of Paris, she finds Margaux’s wallet and, upon returning it to her, begins a whirlwind friendship with the lavish couple that doesn’t take long to become…. well, super creepy.

Just how creepy, you ask? Well, after a fire at Rosemary and Guy’s residence forces them to move into an empty apartment owned by the Castevets — an apartment that used to house an expectant couple before the girl had a breakdown and jumped from the balcony — a number of strange events begin to happen, both lucky and unlucky: Rosemary repeatedly dreams of leaping from the bedroom balcony herself. Guy becomes the head of the English department at the Sorbonne, then overcomes his months-long writer’s block to produce a very lucrative book. And, perhaps worst of all, Margaux becomes obsessed with Rosemary’s pregnancy after she and Guy decide they’re ready to try for another baby.

RELATEDFall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

After Rosemary learns of the young couple who used to live in her apartment, she does some digging and finds that years ago, the residence belonged to a cannibalistic, devil-worshipping cult. (Cue a set of gory flashbacks that would put some Hannibal scenes to shame.) And at the forefront of it all is Steven Marcato, who spent his spare time eating the hearts of prostitutes and embodying Satan himself. As Rosemary and Guy’s relationship with the Castevets becomes increasingly uncomfortable (see: Margaux forcing Rosemary to eat a vat of foul-looking fertility soup), Rosemary begins to think the couple may be entangled with the devil worshippers. (Hint: she’s right!)

But if you missed Part One, or had to put Sunday’s debut on the DVR back burner, don’t fret. The miniseries’ first installment barely scratches the surface of Rosemary’s pregnancy, ending with a pseudo-fantasy sequence that finds Guy, Margaux, Roman and Steven Marcato trying to impregnate her. Part Two, which will air Thursday at 9/8c, promises to pick up the pace — at least, I hope so.

That’s what we thought — now it’s your turn. Grade Rosemary’s Baby via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your choice.

1. Cory says:

Only got to see the first hour for now but while of course a bit unnecessary, I enjoyed it. Will definitely finish it.

2. Khorrie says:

Is “pseudo-fantasy sequence” the new term for “rape scene”?
    I’m glad there are people who seemed to enjoy this. I am. I only watched because I love the original movie and the book (and as an aside, I hope they’re only crediting Son of Rosemary for legal reasons and NOT because they’re actually using anything from it, because that book was beyond terrible). This may have well been an entirely different story. I was mostly amazed at how BORING it was.

• mia says:

I think it is safe to say that anyone who actually gave this an “A” definitely did not see the original.

3. Was extremely annoyed that NBC used the twitter page for now cancelled Believe to promote Rosemary’s Baby. I know RB was already set to air before Believe was cancelled, but it was still pretty insulting to us fans. I watched a few minutes of RB and I love Zoe Saldana, but it didn’t hold my interest.

4. SVUnCI says:

Only watched the first 50 min (since I have to be up for work in 5hrs) but it caught me. After my after-work nap I’ll finish it off and maybe I’ll watch it live on Thursday.

5. Kait says:

I never saw the original but the first 90 minutes or so moved semi-slowish then it went into crazy mode. I thought the devil guy with the blue eyes eating the heart was less-gory than that guy coming awake during surgery, that made me physically uncomfortable. I didn’t realize I was a 4 part/8hour total mini-series, so wow apparently lots of stuff needs to happen.

• Kait says:

Woops, read somewhere else it was 4 part, guess they ended up combining hours to only make it 2

• Khorrie says:

News sites like this seem to keep writing about it as if it’s a TV show and not a movie event, which is what it actually is. So when they say “four part” they mean “four hour” and each “hour” is supposed to count as an “episode”. In reality, this is a classic mini-series, which were always two two-hour specials usually aired on consecutive nights.This one deviates from that last bit as the second half is airing Thursday.

• Kait says:

Yeah, that’s what I was trying to say. Honestly, if it was split up into hours (42ish minutes+commercials), I would have stopped watching after the first showing. Then me getting confused thinking it’d be 8 hours after the first showing. 4 hours may be too long, but it definitely has potential, even me not seeing the original.

6. Drew says:

The original movie might as well not exist in my book. I won’t watch it. So far this one is interesting so I will finish watching it… Except it totally rips off 666 Park Avenue.
    (That was a joke)

7. John says:

No thanks.

8. Shemica says:

The first just seemed to drag a little bit. Why did they decide to make this longer than the actual film, because they could have edit this down to one two hour TV movie. IMO. Are they basing this more off the book?

• margestein says:

POOR IRA LEVIN MUST BE TURNING IN HIS GRAVE. WHAT WAS A MASTERPIECE BOOK AND THEN MOVIE HAS BEEN TURNED INTO A RIDICULOUS HODGEPODGE TV SERIES.
      FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN THE ORIGINAL ROSEMARY’S BABY I IMPLORE YOU TO GO TO REDBOX OR YOUR LIBRARY AND BEG FOR A COPY. THE REASON FOR THIS TRAGIC TV AIRING IS ALL ABOUT THE BUCK. ANYTHING THAT SPONSORS WILL BUY TV STATIONS WILL SELL. THE COMMERCIALS COME HARD AND FAST THROUGHOUT THE SHOW — ALTHOUGH THEY GET THEIR CAPTIVE AUDIENCE IN THE BEGINNING SCENES WITH FEWER COMMERCIALS.

• marie says:

Evidently they are straying VERY FAR from the book. I did not watch, but this recap tells me the original story has been completely changed. The 1968 Roman Polanski movie was very faithful to the book; pretty much the entire book, which wasn’t very long, was filmed for the original movie.
      The original took place in New York City; no miscarriage; no cannibalism; nobody eating any body parts.
      The book and the 1968 movie are both excellent.
      I’m mildly curious to watch this “remake,” but I might not bother: it sounds more like a rip-off of some of the themes of the original than an actual remake.

• Khorrie says:

The original is one of the most faithful book-to-movie ever made. This version deviates greatly from the source material, be it book or movie.

• marie says:

Indeed. Years ago I saw an interview with Roman Polanski, who said that at the time he made the movie, he was under the mistaken impression that a film director HAD TO follow the plot of the source book, or the book’s author could sue him! This resulted in such faithfulness to the novel that even much of the dialog was lifted intact from the book.

9. Angela says:

OMG. really..NG..didn’t make it past 5 mins..reminds me of cherio commercial…all set with that…waited for this..had no clue…sorry again way off beaten path of original ..yuk. just like the Ironside…U cannot expect people to accept…will not watch..just saying

10. Angela says:

all set..Great dissapointment …Really r u kidding!!!didn’t make past 5 mins..Wat is wrong with people..u can’t go that far off from original Had no idea..not happy..felt like Cherrio commercial..Hello Wat..Ironside remake..did it even get 2 episodes out..waited for nothing..ugh..lol

11. Angela says:

those who didn’t ya hello c origina- ya back in the day Yup.ignorant just like producer..not kool

• Paul says:

You have to learn how to get your thoughts together, how to construct a sentence, and how to type. Well, nevermind, we all know what your thinking. Just go away.

12. Rosie says:

I had to force myself to watch last nights first part of the mini series. I kept hoping it would get better but frankly it just got worse. It does not follow the book in any way and frankly the acting simply horrible. I am not going to watch the second part. It does not matter to me weather Rosemary is white, black , green, yellow. Sorry but Ms. Saldana not impressive at all in this remake. In fact all the actors terrible. The story line even worse. A real mess.

13. Lacy says:

Oh my, What is wrong with change? Why does a new movie have to be exactly like the old. I actually liked this one, in that it is current with today’s times. People get over yourself with your inability to accept change. I’m 63, saw the original, and think this one is just as good. So there!

14. louis says:

NG means no good! it is not a racist comment. Quit jumping to any conclusions.

• DT says:

The person talked about Ironside in one comment and then the Cheerios commercial in another. The common thread: Race. Ironside remake changed the race of Ironside. Cheerios commercial used an interracial couple.

15. John says:

It was okay. They took a few too many liberties with the source material in my opinion.Also the gore is cool and stuff, but sometimes they overdid it. I do like the cast though. Roman and Minnie/Margaux are just as awful here as in the book

16. Jae says:

What actor plays the blue eyed guy?

17. Benny says:

The actor who played the blue eyed man in NBC’s Rosemary’s baby is Stefano Cassetti.