CBS Renews The Mentalist for Season 7

Blue BirdThe Mentalist sees a bright future, having been renewed by CBS for a seventh season, TVLine has learned.

The good news for the Simon Baker/Robin Tunney-fronted procedural comes on the same day that CBS dropped the axe on five shows, including freshmen The Crazy Ones and Intelligence.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Knowing The Mentalist‘s fate was in flux, show boss Bruno Heller told TVLine that the May 18 episode “was written and designed to be a suitable big, happy romantic send-off for the series if that’s what happens — but it also opens a new chapter, if that is not the case.” Well, it’s not the case!

RELATED | The Mentalist Creator, Stars Discuss the Jane/Lisbon Dilemma, Tease a Love-or-Hate Finale

That said, Tunney shared that the finale “is going to make a lot of people really happy, and I think it’s going to make some people angry — and that’s the most you can hope for…. I don’t think anyone will feel in the middle of the road about it.”

Watch an exclusive sneak peek from this Sunday’s penultimate Season 6 episode:

Loading video...

1. Lora says:

I really liked The Crazy Ones…this bums me out.

2. Gaelle says:

3. Elena says:

Yay! I was ambivalent about the new direction of the show at first, but the last few episodes have been very good. So this news makes me very happy.

• Stacie says:

I am so so happy. I just watched last Sunday’s episode last night and it was so good between Lisbon and Patrick. Their chemistry is finally really seeing the light of day and I would have been so bummed if it didn’t get to be fleshed out next season. I am so pleased with this.

• Matt says:

The show’s new direction isn’t bad but it’s nothing to write home about either. It’s still such a shame that they blew the opportunity for a decent closing to the Red John storyline. Sure many fans feel it had run it’s course many seasons ago but that was no reason to just write a stupid cop out ending purely for the sake of rebooting it. Both the Red John finale and the new reboot are evidence that it’s a different team of writers working now than in the first three or so seasons. The show now is vastly inferior to what it once was.

4. Kay says:

YAY!!!! Thank Goodness………

5. Oh my god, I am so happy right now! I still can’t believe it!!:)) #TheMentalist

6. taahimar says:

Yay!!!! Nice way to start a weekend. ♥♥♥

7. enri says:

Best news ever!!

8. JJM says:

Hopefully a full 22, side by side with The Good Wife again.

9. Ping says:

I’m so happy now, have visited tvline 10-20 times today waiting for this news.. woop woop

10. Shawn says:

YESSS! I love The Mentalist!! I got my Castle Season 7 and The Mentalist Season 7!! LIFE IS PERFECT!!!

11. Lisa says:

Yay! I’m so happy this show got renewed, it’s one of my favorites and I needed some good news since Trophy Wife, Community and Revolution got cancelled. I’m also sad about Intelligence getting cancelled but if I had to choose between Intelligence and The Mentalist I would choose Mentalist getting renewed. So good choice CBS.

12. Andrea says:

Best news ever. I’m so happy!!!!!

13. Margo says:

Thank you so much for renewing the show!!!!!!!! I am so excited i have no words!! This is the best news I heard in the last couple of months!!!!

14. J says:

Best news ever! Thank you CBS can’t wait to see season 7.

15. Joan A says:

I am soooo happy!!! I really like the Mentalist!

16. Eric says:

I really thought this one was getting cancelled this year. Not upset that it’ll be sticking around though; I don’t watch it often, but when I do it’s pretty fun!

17. OCZ says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

18. Cynthia says:

So happy right now!!!!!

19. Andrew Hass says:

I’m very happy that The Mentalist will be back for its 7th season.As for tomorrow’s season finale i still think Lisbon and Patrick will get together and then next season will be about them figuring out how to be in a relationship and work together at the same time

20. Tav says:

YAAAASSSSS!! Had a good feeling about this!

21. Chad says:

I have always been a loyal viewer of this show. I can’t really say that about any other CBS drama. I was previously to Medium and Ghost Whisperer. I really hope they keep it on a full 22 episodes!

22. bj says:

I’m so happy about The Mentalist. I like how they revamped the show after closing out the Red John story. I love the addition of Rockmond Dunbar as the boss. His smirk can be just as mischievous as Jane’s. I like that he encourages Jane too, rather than just stepping in as someone else who doesn’t appreciate what he can do.

I’m really looking forward to next season.

23. Leonard says:

Friday nights on CBS next year will be pretty solid .

8:00 – Hawaii five-o
    9:00 – The Mentalist
    10:00 – Blue bloods

Could be 10+ million viewers for all three shows . Not bad for a Friday .

#sixseasonsandamovie :(

24. Gerry says:

Thank you for renewing the Mentalist, one of the few good shows on tv, not too many left.

25. angie says:

great news am so happy. Really wanted a s7 if its to be the last. But where is this 13 epis coming from. Especialy if this might be the last season it should go out on full season 22 epis

• Tav says:

Tbh, the show has a bad habit of dragging things out for far too long (catching RJ, Jane and Lisbon addressing their feelings for each other). With only 13 eps they can’t really putz around, so I’m all for a condensed season.

• CBWBDK1 says:

You’d rather see 13 episodes instead of 22? What is wrong with you? Are you crazy?

• Tav says:

You gotta admit TM can be ridiculously repetitive. Just look at the latest sneak peaks; Jane and Lisbon at a standstill AGAIN, neither one of them taking initiative AGAIN, just going around in circles. And the show has been in this holding pattern for 2 years. I just want them to finally make some progress. Don’t get me wrong, I am genuinely happy for a seventh season (mainly because I’m sure the finale will be “JAG”-level frustrating/disappointing), but I am not interested in watching the show continually kill time. Less time-wasting, more action. If they can swing that, then hell yeah I’m here for a 22 episode season.

• CBWBDK1 says:

It can be repetitive at times, but i’m just so glad it’s coming back. I think it was a smart move to reinvent the show after the whole red john debacle. The last couple of episodes have been outstanding. It took me a while to get used to the new team, but i liked them all a lot. Rockmund is great in everything he does and I like the other new team members.

26. Bonnie Maynes says:

I’m so happy I was so worried that the Mentalist wouldn’t be renewed. It’s the best show on TV. Thank you CBS.

27. GOldenTV says:

YAYYY ! so happy

28. MENTALIST says:

So Happy!!! I was sad when Suburgatory was cancelled but at least there is relief in knowing one of my fave shows will be back for another season!!

29. chadcronin says:

I read on other boards it has to do with negotiating the licensing for the show along with Tims high salary. They want it but they got to meet in the middle on the numbers to do it

• CBWBDK1 says:

To do what? If Tim wants too much money, they should just fire him. The show would be just as good without him.

• anne says:

yes Tim Kang is not so bright lately and i miss cho and rigsby characters

• Gloria says:

Doubtful. I’ve been watching from the beginning and I love Cho with his stoic personality. He is so serious all the time. In case you don’t know what stoic means: A person who accepts what happens without complaining or showing emotion. He does it very well. I am thrilled the Mentalist is returning next season. I was smiling like crazy when Jane kissed Lisbon. Could not have been a better ending.

• Mary DeMarco says:

Absolutely love “The Mentalist.” I think it’s one of the best shows aired. I LOVED the ending to season 6 and look forward to many more seasons. I think the uniqueness of the characters and the cases they’re involved in are great.

30. mewp12 says:

thank you, thank you, thank you. I love the Mentalist. It is probably my favorite. Please let them get together.

31. EL says:

Maybe finally at last we’ll get some episodes with Jane and Lisbon as a real couple. Thank-you CBS.

32. CBWBDK1 says:

YYEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! You just made my whole year!!!!!! I’m so happy!!!! I can’t stop smiling and dancing!!!!!!

33. zaza says:

Yessss! The Mentalist is renewed! This makes my Mother’s Day!

34. Emg says:

I am ecstatic!

35. CW says:

Great news!! Really enjoy this show, especially the evolving Jane/Lisbon relationship. Thank you CBS!

36. DarkDefender says:

It took me awhile to warm up to the reboot… I’m happy to say the new characters (except Pike) have grown on me. I like the direction it is going.. I hope they adjust and improve early into next season… So we get a full season out of them.

37. worthymagic says:

This is completely amazing! I actually can’t believe it. So may different sites said that this show was a goner. It would be great to get it out of that Sunday 10 pm est slot, but I’m glad that CBS and Warner Bros. were able to get together and make this happen. Let’s hope that the storyline for next season is so good that come this time next year, there won’t even be a discussion about the show being cancelled.

38. Geri says:

What a great Mother’s Day present! Thank you, thank you, thank you CBS and the entire The Mentalist team!!! Awesome!!!!!

39. Karen says:

That’s great you are bringing them back, but please consider a different day like Friday rather than Sunday!!!! On Sunday too many sports scheduled for afternoon go well past scheduled time, then you take and move everything back so The a Mentalist ends up later and later…..move it to Friday before Hawaii Five O and Blue Blood……perfect spot starting weekend not ending it!!!!! Of course you could have put a good show like Intelligence in that spot and it would have been a great success. Problem, people that make decisions aren’t the brightest when it comes to the regular American audience…..

• bj says:

Moving the show later and later is only part of the problem some time. They actually joined one “already in progress” because the stupid post game interviews ran late, and we missed the first 10 minutes. Not great for a mystery.

40. dru says:

this makes me happy

41. JennieErin says:

I hate the Mentalist and was looking forward to it finally being cancelled. So it’s almost but not quite gone yet. It’s nothing more than a stupid Psych rip-off (which did this premise a million times better btw). And even more mad that they let Intelligence go. They could have moved it to a better timeslot or something. Sigh, have to wait for the next Josh Holloway project.

42. Dee says:

Glad they renewed The Mentalist. Love the show. Loved Intelligence but most people aren’t smart enough to understand it. If they have to use their brains for something, they give up.

43. GildedRose says:

I”m optimistically happy that Mentalist was renewed. I like the idea of the new direction, was missing seeing Jane and Lisbon (heck, Lisbon! where’d she go in most of these eps?) actually working cases together, then thought the show found it’s balance with the last few episodes. So I’m okay with the idea of a Season 7 if they continue in that direction. Plus Jane and Lisbon admitting a little something-something to each other about their feelings doesn’t hurt either. LOL.

44. Sheldon Wiebe says:

This makes me happy – but happiness tempered by Bruno Heller having that Commissioner Gordon series to run next season so he won’t be showrunner on TM. OTOH, I am excited by the thought of Gotham, so… yeah. That.

45. Em says:

I am so happy TM has been renewed. It is the only show that I find intriguing enough to watch. The characters are just amazing and the stories they tell are so watchable. So the writers, the actors and the crew are doing an amazing job of keeping me hooked. TM and POI are the only two shows I watch

46. Em says:

Tim Kang is an important part of TM. I am glad they managed to agree on terms to keep him on. I also really like the new characters of Abbott and Wylie; Kim I am not so sure about, she’s not the brightest spark and I find her “irksome” sometimes.

• CBWBDK1 says:

I’m glad tim is staying, but if it came down to him or the show being renewed, the choice is easy. He’s not that important. The show could go on without him.

47. CBWBDK1 says:

I’m glad it got renewed, but if it will be for a 13 episode final season, it would have been better if the show had moved to another network. Maybe another network could have given it a full season order, maybe it could have stayed there for a couple of seasons. I don’t understand why they would give this incredible show only a 13 episode final season. It deserves so much better! Give it a full season order and move it do another night!

48. Em says:

TM’s new direction is settling down With Jane and Lisbon being a little more than partners, that could be really interesting. They play off each other so well. I hope the writers keep the banter and the subtleties in their relationship going. Baker and Tunney are great actors who can add spice to their relationships and pull it off. I love watching them in action. With all the hi-tech crime solving TV shows, TM is a refreshing change, using observation, cons, stings and other unorthodox methods to solve crime is entertaining and very watachable. Thinking outside of the box is an artform. Thank you CBS.

49. JoyAnne says:

I’m just happy it’s finally renewed. Once CBS sees its season 7 ratings maybe they’ll adjust to a full 22 season run. Love this show. Just hope Bruno hasn’t stuck Teresa with Pike. Can’t stand him. Then I wouldn’t stand any guy getting between Teresa and Patrick. Much as I like Tim I can’t understand how one characters request for a high salary would mess things up.

• EL says:

You can’t call the final episode (which might also have been the series finale) ‘Blue Birds’ and have Lisbon going off with Pike. Won’t happen. They’ve promised ‘a big romantic episode’. Does anyone think something with Lisbon and Pike would qualify as that with viewers? Jane must finally learn how to use his words but he’s left it very late. Bye, bye Pike. Don’t call us and we won’t call you.

• CBWBDK1 says:

If tim was the only reason the show wasn’t renewed earlier, they should have just fired him. If i had to choose between him or the show, it would have be an easy choice. He’s not that important.

50. Yes!!! Fantastic that there will be another season of The Mentalist!!!!!!!!