ABC Renews Last Man Standing, Orders Cristela and Fresh Off the Boat to Series

Last Man StandingTim Allen will continue standing on ABC. In addition to renewing his sitcom Last Man Standing for a fourth season, the network on Saturday also added two new comedies to its fall 2014-2015 schedule.

Cristela and Fresh Off the Boat (formerly known as Far East Orlando) have both been ordered to series.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

Here’s the logline/casting/pedigree info for each of the new series:

Fresh Off The BoatFresh Off the Boat (Comedy)
EPs | Nahnatchka Kahn (Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23), Jake Kasdan, and Melvin Mar
CAST | Constance Wu, Hudson Yang
It’s the 90’s and hip hop loving Eddie is growing up in suburban Orlando, raised by an immigrant father who is obsessed with all things American and an immigrant mother who is often bewildered by white culture. With his father owning and operating an All-American Steakhouse chain, this loving family of FOB (“fresh off the boat”) Taiwanese Americans try to live the American dream while still maintaining their cultural identity and sense of family.

CristelaCristela (Comedy)
EPs | Kevin Hench, Marty Adelstein, Becky Clements, Shawn Levy
CAST | Cristela Alonzo, Carlos Ponce, Terri Hoyos, Andrew Leeds and Sam McMurray
Sixth-year law student Cristela pushes herself towards her ambitious legal dreams — often against her traditional Mexican-American family’s wishes.

1. A says:

I feel like a lot of the networks are picking up a lot of shows about Hispanics. I like it, but I would just hate for them to throw the stereotypical crap they all do.

2. Androme says:

Yes!! One of my favorites.
    I love this cast. I love Tim Allen.

• albean99 says:

I used to like him but he’s gotten too political. Fine to have an opinion but I have no interest in seeing it on the show.

• Zach says:

I only saw the first season, but his politics seemed to make him the butt of the joke most of the time. But that probably changed.

• Thilia says:

The political tone did start changing after the first couple of seasons (both of which I loved). To the point where it is no longer funny, but more beating a political drum. I don’t care what your politics are, just don’t get to the point of being preachy in a comedy.

• TV Gord says:

I don’t think it has gotten “too political” at all. Even though I’m more liberal than conservative, I think it’s refreshing to have conservative opinions on TV for a change. I also disagree with the person who says his politics make him the butt of the jokes. I think it’s fairly even-handed. I’m not a Tim Allen fan at all, but the fact that he and his daughter have a conservative edge has made the show more interesting to me. Those of us on the left are dishing it out all the time. I enjoy taking it every once in a while. :-D

• Irvin says:

Love Last Man Standing. Tim gets to push his conservativeness on the show but there’s always the dissenting side spoken for whether it’s the liberal side or other races side. I think it’s refreshing. Nowadays it’s almost a faux pas to discuss such things in public. IMO an open discussion is better than keeping things under a blanket trying to pretend everything is fine. It’s much better than other shows where they push only one side of the argument.

• E says:

Nice to see someone take that attitude. I don’t mind politics when both get a chance and it’s funny. There’s nothing terrible about any jokes, they’re not trying to hurt anyone. I also love he interaction between Tim and Chuck.

• Keith says:

I love his politics-good to see a conservative in Hollywood

• JB Smooove says:

Yeah, no. There jokes both ways. I would say more conservative because Tim is the star, but his oldest daughter mainly and wife push back too. It’s the same way I joke with my lib friends and family.

• DALE says:

long as he is going after Obama I say keep it coming,

• jan says:

The dialog in Standing has one of the cleverest now. Tim’s tirades are ridiculously funny and the supporting cast is great. I look forward to it.

3. Arie says:

Nice! ABC’s shows are very diverse next season with Black-ish, Fresh otf the Boat, and Cristela. :)

4. Eric says:

Cristela doesn’t interest me at all but I’ll give Fresh Off the Boat a try. Seems like it would be up my alley.

5. meah says:

What of the kevin hart show?does abc think its a crime to have more than one comeday with african american leads?
    Kevin is a bonafide star,thought the show would be picked up.

• Cris says:

Maybe it wasn’t that good? His last movie, About Last Night was pretty bad so he’s not a guarantee of quality.

• Zach says:

Kevin’s not the lead, he has a recurring role. Romany Malco is the lead.

• Irvin says:

Here we go again. Woe is me!!! Hey if there is any evidence it was some racist plot I would agree with you, but just throwing it out there like that is jumping to conclusions.

6. Chuck says:

Thank You ABC you are one of the few networks who didn’t cancel everything. Im still a little pissed about Trophy Wife but u did keep Modern Family, The Middle, The Goldbergs and Last Man Standing.

7. c-mo says:

YAY!!! So happy that LMS finally got renewed! The other two shows sound promising as well.

8. Amyy says:

How is she a “Sixth year law student?” I went to law school…it’s only 3 years full time or 4 years part time…?

• Andy Swift says:

The official description says “in her sixth year of law school.” Maybe she’s slow?

• Gigi says:

Night law school maybe?

• ZmaX says:

I think that’s the point. She’s one of those students who gets trapped in never ending school because of different obstacles that come up along the way. We call them super seniors.

• Ben says:

How does the American system work? Don’t you have to do a pre-degree? How many years did you spend studying. In my system (New Zealand) you only have to do 4 years full time (I did 5 years as I did some other study as well) – but you don’t have to do any other tertiary study first.

9. Aaron Smith says:

They cancel Trophy Wife but keep Last Man Standing? Great programming minds over at ABC……

10. dj says:

WHEW…I am so relieved that Tim Allen will be back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Et al. says:

Anyone want to take bets on how long it will take for Fresh Off The Boat to get a new title? I’m guessing by noon tomorrow. Don’t Trust The GCFOB!

12. Obviously the world needs more racist and sexist shows.

13. Natural cure for acne are better as a result of several parameters.
    First, they don’t have negative consequence.

See, severe acne are mostly outcome of side
    effect caused by the cure to some other issue so
    you do not desire another side effect. Thus, side effects
    are crucial element to think regarding before choosing a acne cure.

After that they are cheap and affordable in comparision with other solutions.

Also now the most important cause, they are pretty helpful and they cure severe acne in holistic
    way.
    Severe acne cure

14. Sheldon Wiebe says:

I admit to being curious about Fresh Off the Boat and Cristela, but have no idea why ABC would renew the bland, unfunny Last Man Standing.

15. TJ says:

Last man standing makes a few pro American comments and the loons go nuts. Now you know how the rest of us feel watching every show on NBC and CBS.

16. David says:

ABC really seems to be picking up shows with a lot of diversity. Its something that might help them differentiate themselves from the other networks.

17. Tom says:

I’m not a hundred percent sure where ABC is going with their branding this year. I love the diversity and I sincerely hope it continues to the point that it’s not even mentioned anymore but these pickups seem severely off brand.

• Quang says:

These pickups are totally on brand for ABC. The type of shows ABC likes falls into 3 catagories:

– drama/soaps that mainly appeals to women (Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy, Mistresses, Astronauts Wives Club)
      – high concept dramas (Lost, Flashforward, V, Resurrection, The Whispers)
      – family comedies (Modern Family, Suburgatory, Last Man Standing, Trophy Wife, Fresh off the Boat)

18. Kevin H. says:

Regarding the LMS pickup– why? (I know why; syndication!) I’m hopeful ABCs’ new comedies are better than LMS,

19. Hal H. says:

It is nice to see more diversity on TV, but the line between accurate depiction of minority’s experiences and racist stereotype is a thin one, especially as a comedy. Hope ABC manages to walk it.

20. DJ Doena says:

I’m a leftie and being an European you’d probably call me a “socialist” but I do enjoy LMS and even Tim’s stabs at Obama.
    The jokes on the more liberal shows about conservatives don’t get funnier once you’ve played with them all a hundred times…

21. Izzie Duquette says:

Really? This and not Trophy Wife?? … Sorry. I try not to be bitter, but it’s so hard ;)

22. chumsley says:

Fresh Off the Boat is the pickup that I was most excited to hear about. I really liked the book, so I was totally rooting for this one. And of course, growing up as the child of an immigrant parent in the 90’s, I can totally relate to the story.

23. jr. says:

I wish they would have renewed The Neighbors. Next season could have been how the alien neighbors were now alone and surrounded by HUMAN neighbors,! And their human neighbors had to help keep their alien identies secret from the rest of the neighborhood.

24. inksinger says:

I’m a liberal and I really enjoy LMS. I feel like everybody gets a voice. Tim is often outnumbered by everyone but his youngest daughter. Really enjoy the show because it shows a family with diverse opinions. And it’s funny.

25. Tina B. says:

I can’t believe they cancelled Trophy Wife and renewed Last Man Standing, this show has sucked since season 2, the one daughter recast and is horrible and too many republican jokes, it’s a sit-com, not a political forum! I will not be watching this show!

26. RULER W/ A SPEAR says:

Definitely watching FOB. The Eddie Huang story based on his book of the same name.

27. blade says:

blackish and cristela will fail. having a couple sows with minorities is just the network trying to look PC. they have terrible uninspired plots just asking to be canceled. they are the same shows, in each show a parent tries to teach the child their heritage. remember the last shows that did that? didn’t think so.

28. Pat Roy says:

Last Man Standing should be in the 9:30pm Wednesday slot. That would be a killer night of television. Black-ish is going to bomb bigtime.