Community Cancelled at NBC

Community Season 6Six seasons and a movie? More like five seasons and a cancellation: NBC has axed Community, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | NBC Cancels Revolution and Growing Up Fisher

There’s no official word from the Peacock but sources confirm that the show’s April 17 Season 5 finale will end up being its series finale — unless, of course, Sony finds a new home for the Greendale gang.

That Community managed to air five full seasons was something of a victory in itself. After three low-rated (albeit critically lauded) seasons, NBC replaced creator Dan Harmon as showrunner, then brought him back for Season 5. At the end of Season 4, original cast member Chevy Chase exited amid controversy. Donald Glover, too, jumped ship after Episode 5 of Season 5.

TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

1. Elyse says:

:( i’m sad… but happy because it lived a lot longer than it probably should have!

2. M says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

3. Tran says:

NO! NO! NO! :-(

4. keylimepie78 says:

day=ruined

5. Justsomeguy says:

About time.

• Bartleby says:

Have you ever even seen the show? About time? This was easily the most consistently creative show on TV, even through the very last episode.

• It really was about time. I was one of the show’s biggest fans and watched every single episode religiously, but the last two seasons were so, so, so disappointing. Any more would’ve just been like shooting a dead horse. Let’s just let it go and remember it as it was at its best.

• Mellie says:

Agree Allison. Watched every episode, and the last two seasons had far more rotten eggs than good ones. You can have a one season slump, but a two season one? You’re outta here.

• Bryce says:

I agree. I was an avid fan of the show for years but it’s time. Community just can’t pull off what NBC needs business-wise. Besides, I have no doubt Netflix or Amazon will scoop up this cult classic. I just can’t get into it anymore. The first three seasons were solid and I thought when NBC replaced Harmon it was a brilliant move. Shows need new blood every few years. Community had it and then Harmon came back and nullified an entire season’s worth of beloved storylines. With that lack of disregard for the product, it is time.

• Jon says:

You better start having at least some doubts. The streaming rights to Community belong to Hulu, so that means that Netflix or Amazon Prime can’t touch the old (already aired, pre-cancelation) episodes of Community until the contract with Hulu is up. No old episodes = no new episodes, it’s as simple as that. Unless a) Comedy Central decides to make new episodes or b) Hulu decides to produce new episodes (both of which are extremely unlikely), Community is dead. It makes me sad to say it, but I guess the world was destroyed by asteroids after all (that’s canon).

• dsm says:

Ummm….Community is already on the Canadian Netflix. What exactly are you saying?

• JB Smooove says:

they mean that netflix or amazon pick up new production on the series like NF did for arrested development.

• Jon says:

Lol Community is owned by American production companies– here, let me try to explain this. Community is on Hulu an not Netflix or Amazon here in the states. Here in the states is where the entire production of the show is- therefore, Netflix Canada won’t be able to produce more episodes. The only American company that could decide to continue the series in streaming format is Hulu- and Hulu isn’t in the business of renewing canceled shows like Netflix is (yet! They might be, but I doubt it). Outside of the streaming format, Community could always air on Comedy Central (which itself is unlikely) because they own the broadcast rights to the show. So, that leaves community with only two options: Hulu or Comedy Central. Both have very slim chances of saving community though.

• cottnbals says:

Entire season’s worth of storylines? They built up the whole Chang being secretly evil thing with nothing ever coming of it and Chang saying never mind at the end of the season. They also did the same with Britta and Troy dating. And what happened to Abed’s fraternity he created in the middle of the season? It was a decent season but there weren’t many lasting story lines; and any of the ones that did last longer than an episode were basically completed before the season ended. The threat of cancellation probably caused them to tie up all the loose ends, leaving nothing for Dan to actually “nullify.”

• Mr e says:

Word.

6. joao says:

this is sad…it may sound cheesy but i was really expecting ‘six seasons and a movie’ ):

7. Kay says:

8. Aleana says:

What!!!! and that all I have to say

9. Leigh says:

My heart just sank.

10. Katie says:

NO. kick starter campaign for the movie starts NOW. Who’s with me?

• brix says:

I gotcha! I helped get a Veronica Mars movie made (donated). Talk about After that, anything’s possible.

• debs says:

dear katie, i don’t know if you’ll see this message, but… i am so thrilled that someone mentioned a kickstarter campaign, for community – and also i was hoping to start one for the show “trophy wife” …but i don’t know how to go about it –

like, for veronica mars, werent the folks who started the campaign able to get in touch with the show’s creator/writer or something and made an agreement that if they raised x amount this would happen? i don’t know who i should get in touch with, or how to get in touch with them…

i think that kickstarter should get to be an option for all cancelled shows now, because so, so many shows, going so far back, have been taken away from fans and, the fans should get a chance to save them… tv shows really mean a LOT to people…

if you see this message, could you maybe give me some advice how you went about or are going to go about setting up a campaign that could really result in something? and if you do have, or create, a kickstarter campaign for community, you have my social and Financial support as well! thanks :)

11. nate says:

never watch it nut I BETTER NOT SEE PARENTHOOD ON THIS!!!!!!!!

12. LE says:

WOOOW didn’t expect that at all :(

13. C says:

Community was wonderful in the first year but it needed to go since everyone was bailing but I have noticed that NBC has a history of allowing that to happen : Third Watch, Community, etc.

• Patrick says:

Once Pierce (Chase) and Troy were out of the picture completely, the show really trended down sharply. I love it, and I will watch it whenever, wherever, but I get it.

14. alistaircrane says:

No! Netflix, step in and give Community one last season! If you can do it for The Killing, you can do it for Community!

• M3rc Nate says:

I dont know if i would prefer a movie, or another season…but yes, Harmon write your best work that wraps up these characters and shop it to Netflix or somewhere…before these AMAZING actors/actresses get picked up by another show or movie and you cant get them all together to make more Community.

15. brandon says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

16. Anna says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :o

17. MJ says:

NOT COOL. NOT COOL. NOT COOL.

18. NOOOOOOOOO0000000oooooooooooooo!

19. I.R.E. says:

Then that means Growing Up Fisher is going to get cancelled also!

20. C says:

Crap. I really thought it’d get one last 13-episode pickup.

21. Alex says:

At least it lasted longer than three weeks!

• canadian ninja says:

The Cape could still find a second life on cable – and there’s no such thing as a free caesar salad.

(idiots won)

22. Fotis333 says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

23. Kay says:

Seriously! They couldn’t have just given us 13 more episodes? That’s all we wanted. Kickstarter would’ve taken care of a movie. Netflix, where are you?

24. Lucy says:

Not cool.

25. THOSE BASTARDS, IT HAD BETTER RATINGS THEN PARKS AND REC AND IT HAD A HUGE FOLLOWING.

26. Haroon says:

My day is literally ruined…

27. Maya says:

NOOOOOO :(

28. amy says:

I am now feeling all the sad.

29. Angie_Overrated says:

Whoa. Can’t say I’m shocked, but I thought they’d eke out one final season.

30. Kind of expected it, but I’m still sad.

31. jaybone says:

#NBCfail

32. Lydia says:

I’m so over network television. I guess I’ve outgrown all the shows they want to keep and they canceled most of the new shows I liked.

• I feel the same way. I’ve abandoned so many shows the last couple years, and the few new shows I’ve enjoyed almost always get cancelled.

• LOL says:

I just quit watching new stuff, every show I get into gets cancelled. I just wait til shows do get the axe now, and then check out any that may be worth checking out. But I really don’t watch a lot of TV anymore anyway, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much crap. And I don’t care about stars dancing or watching the 30 different singing competitions that each channel has to have now. It just seems like I am no longer the demo they want watching TV even though I’m a 33 yr old.

• jenna says:

i’m in the same boat, there were a lot of new comedies that I liked this year but they’ve all been axed. The only new show I watch thats been renewed is the blacklist…. which although I love I still can’t stand the lead actress. Probably the only show where I actively hope the character gets into a disfiguring accident and is recast

33. ggny says:

Really thought it would get a send off season. Surprised

34. Kval says:

Noooooo!

35. LOL says:

Well, no more NBC programming for me. What a garbage network anyway.

36. nealcj says:

Netflix, you’re our only hope!

37. Aaron says:

Sone of a crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. TV Gord says:

This is the first cancellation of the season that makes me truly sad, but I am grateful to NBC for sticking with it through five seasons, despite the ratings and backstage shenanigans. I loved this season’s shows, and I’ll be watching them for years to come!

• Matt says:

NBC really does give some shows time to grow if they’re good. They stuck by Chuck and really the Office didn’t do well initially. I don’t think Parks and Rec does all that great by the numbers really especially early on.

39. jgar says:

Maybe I’m rationalizing here, but it says “cancelled AT nbc.” Could that mean it will go elsewhere??? I’m praying.

• ggny says:

Dan Harmon said in a interview that he has heard rumblings from Netflix and Hulu about possibly moving the show a online services if it was canceled by NBC

• David4 says:

They always say that.

However I think the show is made by Sony, and Sony has syndication deals already in place and might try harder to get a few more episodes out of it.

40. LOL says:

Must need more dumb celebrities playing games shows. Who watches that crap anyway.

41. Jordan says:

Netflix? I know they can’t save every series but I feel like this would be a great way to possibly launch their own movie division? Do the sixth season on Netflix and then produce an original movie. I hope so…

42. marcinho says:

FINALLY!!!!!!

• WonderWaage says:

Did you see that Jake was back on Two and a Half Men… Haha… But as a robot… So hilarious, am I right? Omg right? *farts*

43. danharmonisbetterthanyourfave says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

44. Nishat says:

I’m gonna be in major denial until official word comes in. I thought insiders were saying we could get one more season? It was looking so bright. I refuse to accept this.

45. Marco says:

*Annie NOOOOOO Scream* Please NBC, can’t you renew it for a sixth and final season?

46. Emmy says:

NO. SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE. TAKE IT BACK.

47. jo jo jo says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO someone else has to pick it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE NBC!!! wtf!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so pissed come on netflix comedy central!!!!! someone