Fall TV: CBS Orders NCIS and CSI Spin-Offs, Odd Couple, Kevin Williamson's Stalker and 4 More to Series (But Not How I Met Your Dad?)

thomas-lennon-matthew-perry-The Odd CoupleCBS on Friday added eight new series to its 2014-15 schedule, including Matthew Perry‘s Odd Couple reboot and the planted spin-offs NCIS: New Orleans and CSI: Cyber.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

There’s still no official word on How I Met Your Dad, though the HIMYM spin-off is rumored to have been ordered to series.

Here’s the logline/casting/pedigree info for each of the new series; the Patricia Arquette-starring CSI: Cyber aired as the April 30 episode of CSI .

Battle Creek (Drama)*
EPs | Vince Gilligan (Breaking Bad), David Shore (House), Mark Johnson (Breaking Bad)
DIRECTOR | Bryan Singer (House)
CAST | Dean Winters (Law & Order: SVU), Josh Duhamel (Las Vegas), Kal Penn (House), Janet McTeer (The White Queen), Damon Herriman (Justified), Aubrey Dollar, Edward Fordham Jr.
Two detectives with very different worldviews are teamed up and must answer the question: Are cynicism, guile and deception enough to clean up the semi-mean streets of Battle Creek, Mich., in the face of a complete lack of resources; or is the exact opposite true – it takes naïveté, trust and a boatload of resources?
* previously ordered to series

Madam Secretary (Drama)
EPs | Barbara Hall (Homeland), Morgan Freeman, Lori McCreary and Tracy Mercer
CAST | Tea Leoni (The Naked Truth), Tim Daly (Private Practice), Bebe Neuwirth, Geoffrey Arend (Body of Proof), Patina Miller, Erich Bergen, Evan Roe, Katherine Herzer
Potential series about the personal and professional life of a maverick female Secretary of State as she drives international diplomacy, wrangles office politics and balances a complex family life.

The McCarthys (Comedy)
EPs | Brian Gallivan (Are You There, Chelsea?), Will Gluck (The Michael J. Fox Show), Richie Schwartz
CAST | Jack McGee (Common Law), Joey McIntyre (Boston Public), Laurie Metcalf (Roseanne), Jimmy Dunn, Kelen Coleman (The Newsroom)
Story about a big Irish Catholic, sports-crazed Boston clan and the gay son whose greatest sin is not his sexuality but his desire to spend less time with his family.

NCIS: New Orleans (Drama)
EPs | Gary Glasberg, Mark Harmon
CAST | Scott Bakula (Men of a Certain Age), CCH Pounder (The Shield), Zoe McLellan (JAG), Lucas Black, recurring guest star Paige Turco (The 100)
The New Orleans NCIS office handles cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle; to air as a spring episode of NCIS.

The Odd Couple (Comedy)
EPs | Matthew Perry, Joe Keenan (Frasier)
CAST | Matthew Perry (Go On, Friends), Thomas Lennon (Reno 911!), Georgia King (The New Normal), Sarah Baker (Go On), Wendell Pierce (The Michael J. Fox Show, Treme), Lindsay Sloane (Weeds)
The multi-camera comedy project follows two mismatched roommates: the messy Oscar Madison (Perry) and neat freak Felix Unger (Lennon).

Scorpion (Drama)
EPs | Nick Santora (Prison Break, Breakout Kings), Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci (Sleepy Hollow)
CAST | Katherine McPhee (Smash), Robert Patrick (True Blood, Last Resort), Elyes Gabel (Body of Proof, Game of Thrones), Eddie Kaye Thomas (American Pie), Jadyn Wong (Being Erica), Ari Stidham
Follows an eccentric genius and his international network of super-geniuses as they form the last line of defense against the complex threats of the modern age.

Stalker (Drama)
EP | Kevin Williamson (The Following)
CAST | Dylan McDermott (American Horror Story), Maggie Q (Nikita), Mariana Klaveno (Devious Maids), Victor Rasuk (How To Make It in America)
A psychological thriller that centers on a pair of detectives who handle stalking incidents for the Threat Management Unit of the LAPD.

1. Robby Horine says:

Why doesn’t CBS do something really out of the box. Like make the Secretary of State in ‘Madame Secretary’ a conservative republicans?

Wait, What? Oh, she’s going to be a Hillary clone. To help pump up her image before 2016? I see. Can you say “End run donation”? I can.

Real Edgy there CBS.

• alistaircrane says:

Because conservative Republicans are vile, nasty little things that don’t make for entertaining television, that’s why!

• Liz says:

Ignoring that your comment towards republicans is narrow minded and a little hypocritical… Generally speaking “vile and nasty” can make for compelling television. See: anything on cable.

• blah 1 says:

think they’re being sarcastic mate

• S. says:

I don’t know. They could always do a mini-series about Teddy Kennedy. You want a show about a vile, nasty horrible alcoholic, there you go.

• canadian ninja says:

That’s why they may be avoiding a Rep. The elephants are surprisingly thin skinned. Donkeys are used to more messy portrayals.

• Robby Horine says:

Let’s look at the dramas that featured liberal women politicos. Remember ‘Commander-in-Chief’? Didn’t make it beyond 13 episodes.

Why not give a fair look at the other side? Not the hate filled stuff the left thinks about conservatives?

• RyanC says:

Maybe when the party stops trying to deny basic rights to a sizable minority, people will stop seeing them as villains. Crazy, huh?

• David4 says:

Someone doesn’t watch Scandal. Vile is awesome.

• suzyku says:

totally agree with you about vile republicans! there’s enough of them being stupid and vile in real life without having to “watch” them on t.v.! Ugh

• David4 says:

Because democrats aren’t stupid? Honestly people when will you wake up and realize everyone is the problem, not just ones that have a little ‘r’ next to their names.

• Et al. says:

It would be difficult to have a right-wing woman as a protagonist on a television show. How could an audience root for a female who believes that poor people deserve to die, rape is a gift from god and that strangers should decide what happens to her body? Wouldn’t work dramatically.

• Robby Horine says:

Wow! If any republican said that, their career would be over. So you’ll be glad to tell me what Republicans said that. Please give name, date and where they said it.

And no “They all say that”. Specifics.

• Brooke says:

Wha, really? This is what happens when you only get your news from Fox News. Remember the Republican crowd that actually applauded about the idea of an uninsured person dying because they couldn’t afford medical care? Have you REALLY missed the multiple Republican white men who have been yapping about rape in the last couple years? This isn’t a secret, they’ve been very vocal.

• j says:

Robby Horine- I don’t understand how you can be so wrong AND arrogant at the same time. Or why you felt it necessary to turn an article about pilot season into an absurd political “debate.” However, since you asked for republicans who said those things, let’s take this point by point. First of all, you are correct in some cases. While a LOT of GOP candidates have said all those things in recent elections, several of them lost, which probably does mean that “their career(s) would be over” now. So we’ll leave out Todd Akin and his legitimate rape, Richard Murdoch and his view that pregnancy through rape is something “God intended to happen,” Sharon Angle and her advice to view a baby conceived through rape as “making lemonade out of lemons,” and Mitt Romney, who felt that the “safety net” in this country was so strong that he was “not concerned about the very poor,” even though his plan would have drastically cut every part of that “safety net.” Instead we’ll focus on republicans who have said those things and still have strong careers. Like Paul Ryan, who says rape is just another “method of conception,” so there’s no reason to let victims get an abortion, and who thinks poverty is just an “urban problem.” There are many more examples. If you were to google almost any GOP politician, you would find what is to me a very disturbing belief system. Whether you want to accept that or not is up to you.
          Now- When will CBS pick up “How I Met Your Dad”?!?!!

• Cooper Haynes says:

I think BOTH sides of the political fence has said and done some incredibly stupid and horrendous things. One side is no better than the other, and before the cries of “Oh yes it is” go goggle them both. Remember there are extremists in the Democrats and the Republicans, truly there are enough jackasses to go around….

• Maryann says:

And don’t forget the part where a conservative woman obeys her husband…

• S. says:

Yes, because Hilary putting up with her d**k of a husband who continually makes an international fool of her makes for a wonderful role model

• CAL says:

There’s nothing indicating she’s a Democrat. CBS is pretty conservative and 90% of their shows have 3 times as many men in their casts as women. Perhaps you should keep quiet until it airs.

• Walter Freeman says:

Oh, sure. She could be a Condi Rice clone, but she won’t be. This show wouldn’t be up for consideration if not for Hillary running in 2016. Otherwise no one would care about a network drama featuring a female Secretary of State. C’mon! Be honest with yourself.

• Mel says:

Because conservative republicans suck on TV.

• Cordell says:

No way in hell I will cheer anything conservative or Republican, not until they stop being mean and hateful. No thanks.

• TW says:

Agree!!!

2. rflairfan1 says:

I am excited about Battle Creek. Vince Gilligan, Dean Winters, 13 episodes. Love it. I wish it wasn’t on CBS or had Josh Duhamel in it, but not everything is perfect.

3. Joe says:

battle creek is the only thing that doesn’t sound terrible

4. Miriam Maurer says:

Will watch the Scott Bakula series if it isn’t on Monday.

5. wrstlgirl says:

I’ll watch anything done by Vince Gilligan.

6. Riana says:

We don’t need another NCIS show. How about less body shows and more quality program? It’s time to start taking Emmys back

• Jimpy says:

I suspect CBS see the number of viewers NCIS gets and csi used to get and gets dollar signs inits eyes. They go with what works foe them. No sense in killing a cash cow.

7. Pia says:

How many different kinds of stalkers could there be? Seems narrow even for a CBS procedural.

8. nate says:

STILL WAITING FOR CSI: PATRICIA ARQUETTE!!!!!!!!

• Michelle says:

This… I really hope Patricia Arquette’s new CSI show gets a chance.

• ChicagoDan says:

Since it would be a CBS production, they probably have more flexibility in terms of working things out. I envisioned it as a midseason show anyway because the backdoor pilot only featured PA, so they would have to build an entire cast to complement her.I really hope it gets a shot.

• Claudia says:

The article has now been updated and CSI: Cyber has been picked up. I watched the pilot and thought it looked good. Don’t know where it will go on the schedule yet.

9. sarah says:

I may check out Stalker.
    Is there another show cancellation in Matthew Perry’s future? He does not have luck.

10. Nicole Walker says:

Wait, I want Paige Turco back on Person of Interest as a guest star before the NCIS spinoff if she’s taking breaks from The 100!

Dylan McDermott and Maggie Q are gonna make a nice looking crime fighting duo on Stalker.

11. Zoe says:

I’m just happy to see Scott Bakula getting work.

12. I’m excited about NCIS: New Orleans!

13. Sheri Beatty says:

Battle Creek Sounds the best to me

• That show honestly confuses me. What are the detectives supposed to be investigating, car theft? (For those who don’t know, while Battle Creek does have a high crime rate, relatively speaking, the majority of those crimes are car thefts. Which, while awful, don’t make for particularly interesting television.)

14. Woo! On board for everything except Madam Secretary and The McCarthy’s

15. Bonnie Maynes says:

Renew the Mentalist CBS.

16. eddie says:

my guess is CBS leaked the “pickup” of HIMYD to see how people would respond to it. since they saw it was a negative one they were probably like “nope, nevermind.”

• Katie says:

Smartest comment I’ve heard all day

• ChicagoDan says:

Exactly!

• N tTVf says:

That is possible – however, I’ve been bouncing back and forth between here/TVLine and sister site Deadline, and the thinking is that CBS wants a better deal (part ownership?) of HIMYD from production house 20th Century. If they don’t get that deal done, well, who knows?

This one is tricky – a part of me would like to see HIMYD get rolling, but a part of me is also thinking, maybe we are all better off just letting HIMYM stand alone, and be what is it to fans (who loved it or didn’t), and not push things with HIMYD.

So, I’m good either way. I liked [loved] HIMYM, I liked the ending, but I certainly understand those who didn’t. In all honestly, I’m not so much worried about the HIMYD concept, but I’m not sure about that new cast. IMHO, what made HIMYM so good was that cast – and director Pamela Fryman. The story was amazing by CT/CB, but without those six other people, I don’t think HIMYM would have become what it did become. HIMYD will not have those key six people on board – that could be a problem for HIMYD. I read where they are looking for a director – no Pamela Fryman. That is not good news for HIMYD.

• imissdonuts says:

I had the same thought!

17. Tim O'Brien says:

Stalker sounds interesting & I’ll probably check out The Odd Couple since I was a fan of the original as a kid (I seem to remember being the only my age being a fan )

18. K says:

I’d have chosen CSI over NCIS. Booooo. Aww I was looking forward to HIMYD. I don’t get this “that one last episode was bad so I hope HIMYD doesn’t happen” from so called fans.

• Guest(whose real name shall NEVER be revealed) says:

Did you not see the episode? Did you not see the polarizing reaction from critics AND the fans FROM that particular episode? Did you not hear the MASSIVE backlash from the fans AFTER that particular episode aired?! AND as i keep saying, K, WE HAVE OPINIONS! Don’t call any of us so-called fans just because WE didn’t like the episode!

• K says:

My point is that yeah the episode wasn’t a great finale, they tried to please everyone and it didn’t work. But I’m talking about the “fans” that want HIMYD to fail only because of one episode and seem to forget the years worth of great ones.

• Cas says:

You should probably give up this argument K as I had it the other day with people. I completely agree with you. However, I was supposedly “not a loyal fan” because I didn’t let one episode ruin the whole series. They always complain about character development too but not very many people in their late 20”s or early 30′s change much. You change most in your early 20′s so I feel it’s realistic they all sort of threw that out the door. That’s just how I look at it anyway.

• xo says:

have you ever heard the saying fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me? well i am pretty sure most hating the show already have no desire to see a second time of being fooled yet another time… and they will fear that … fear they get invested in the wrong charcters to see it all end up crap again…

19. Et al. says:

A bunch of dumb procedurals and thin-premised sitcoms. No surprises here.

20. bleacherbabe says:

Yay. Happy for NCIS NOLA. Can’t wait to see Scott Bakula on primetime TV, again (even though his cable work has been great!)

21. Diz says:

Nothing jumps out as must see for me, but Maggie Q yes please I will def. check that out.

22. cycworker says:

Wont’ watch NCIS spinoff; I don’t even like the original. I don’t think I’d like Stalker, either. I’ll try everything else at least once .

I will be bummed if we don’t get to see HIMYD.

23. Sam says:

So no Charmed reboot? I was kinda looking forward to that.

• K says:

I wasn’t! I’m sure there’s so many witchcraft themed ideas they could come up with without rebooting an amazing series.

24. Olivia says:

Scorpion and Stalker sound good. I will definitely check them out.

25. David says:

Madame Secretary sounds like a great companion to Good Wife. Hopefully they’ll get Good Wife the hell off of Sunday this year. Who else thinks Tuesday will be an all NCIS night?

• mary says:

I think they’ll move LA to Mondays. That’s why they have been trying them out the past month-to see what would work.

26. tv2day says:

Stalker scorpion battle creek look interesting. They keep trying to make dylan mcdermott a lead star but maghie q should make stalker interesting. Ncis spinoff will be fine. Odd couple is DOA. Won’t last 4 weeks.

27. blah 1 says:

Really CBS? why would you make a new odd couple? that is one show that will not live up to expectations.

28. Ray says:

Sheesh! Talk about lack of originality. How many NCIS shows does this network need?

• tv2day says:

They had 3 csi’s that did great for years. If ncis no does ratings near LA its a hit. With 1 or 2 exceptions, I stay away from procedural shows where there is murder to solve at the beginning of each episode. That’s the most tired unoriginal set up on TV. But folks like it.

• mary says:

It’s a business. Stay with what works. Expanding…use what already works well. Maybe it works, maybe not. But that’s always the first thing to do.

29. A new ODD COUPLE and yet another NCIS. Ugh. And yet no mention of the Jamie Lee Curtis pilot (ONLY HUMAN) getting picked up?! Epic fail, CBS. More of the same-lame.

30. The Nice Terrier says:

Looking forward to NCIS: New Orleans. Good to see Lucas Black…this looks like it will be a great show.

31. James D says:

a few look to be interesting. I think I’ll check out Battle Creek, Stalker, and Scorpion all with great casts so hopefully they turn out some good writing. Odd Couple seems strange to me I don’t think I can picture Matthew Perry as Oscar, he seems more Felixy too me, Although Thomas Lennon will make the perfect Felix too. Not interested in the Political one but I do love Tea Leoni.

32. Dave says:

Excited about The McCarthys! Love me some Joey McIntyre!

33. Brian says:

I guess I’m the only one who honestly believed the “Odd Couple” might work if Perry was the neat freak, and not the slob??

34. LynnH says:

Really looking forward to Battle Creek!

35. woodyinho says:

Good luck Matthew Perry. Let’s see if this will last more than 1 season. And Katharine McPhee’s back!

• Brian says:

Don’t get too excited, let’s see if it makes it past the first month!

• Kevin says:

Ugh Katharine McPhee. I need a Megan Hilty pilot

• S. says:

This. Ugh Katharine McPhee. And that’s not even for her personal life shenanigans. On to happier things: I loved the bit from last year’s Tonys with Megan Hilty, Laura Benanti, and Andrew Rannells. People need to check that out. More of these 3, please. Maybe they should just make a show together. Get NPH after his Hedwig run on Broadway and have a go at it. Multi-cam, let’s do this.

36. Joey Padron says:

I’ll check out Battle Creek since Vince is an excutive producer and Dean Winters and Kel Penn are on show. Hope some actors from Breaking Bad will get to guest star on show in first season.

37. Justin says:

Does the network really need another NCIS? Or even more procedurals? Geez.

38. Zach says:

Joe Keenan departed The Odd Couple. Bob Daily is replacing him.

39. notyourmama says:

In Madam Secretary, can Bebe Neuwirth be the Secretary and Tea Leoni can have a small co-star role? It would be much better that way.

40. Scorpion sounds more like a comedy. Or a kids cartoon. As for the rest…I guess they’ve given up on anything new or different.

41. phil says:

I was really hoping to see a CSI: Cyber Crimes on the fall schedule…I enjoyed that episode of CSI…Patricia Arquette was awesome!

42. screwsoaper says:

Bring Back Ziva David and keep Bishop

43. Hey CBS I got this great idea for a new comedy. Its called “How I Met Your Dog” and its about a TV programmer who starts dating his best friend’s ex wife. If you don’t want it I’m offering it to Disney..although they would probably want it to be the best friend’s actual dog.

44. Nate says:

Finally Patricia arquette is back! !!!!!!!

45. Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a twenty five
    foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!

46. Olga says:

Can we stop calling How I Met Your Dad a HIMYM spinoff? It’s not a spinoff, it’s a recycled idea. It involves no characters from the original series and will likely lack all originality and creativity

47. Jimpy says:

maybe it’s me but I believe scorpion puts the final nail in the intelligences coffin

48. Paloma says:

Looking forward to Scott Bakula. And maybe this time Matthew Perry will have a series that works. I could really see him as Oscar Madison.

49. frustratedwithbadtvshows says:

1) Stalker sounds like it would be an interesting show to watch, but Kevin Williamson being EP to the series is a negative for me. . .no thanks.

2) Long time viewer of NCIS but will pass on NCIS: New Orleans.

50. Rebel says:

Did CBS cancel “The Crazy Ones” or not. I can’t seem to find info on it any where. I hope they don’t, it was beginning to get better

• USC says:

I’m awaiting its fate as well. Thus far, it’s in purgatory, but it’s not looking good, which is too bad. It’s the funniest, albeit most polarizing show, on the network and I believe its only single camera comedy without a laugh track.