Ratings: CBS Shows and Modern Family Rise, Revolution Hits Low, Suburgatory Dips

CSI Paul Guilfoyle Brass Final Episode‘Twas another rough night in May Sweeps ratingsland, as several shows hit or matched all-time lows in the demo.

Survivor (with 9.8 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating per finals) and Part 1 of Criminal Minds‘ season finale (10.4 mil/2.3) each added a few eyeballs plus a tenth in the demo, while CSI‘s season ender/Paul Guilfoyle’s final episode (9.9 mil/1.9) grew two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Elsewhere….

ABC | The Middle (6.7 mil/1.6) and Suburgatory (5 mil/1.3) slipped two tenths, Modern Family (8.6 mil/2.9) rose a tenth and Nashville (4.5 mil/1.2) matched last week’s low, while Mixology (3.7 mil/1.3) was flat.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Falsehoods, Family and FLOTUS

NBC | Revolution (3.8 mil/1.1) dropped 12 percent and two tenths, hitting a series low. The just-renewed SVU (5.3 mil/1.5) fell three tenths and Chicago PD (5.4 mil/1.4) was down 26 and 26 percent (hitting a series low).

RELATED | Arrow Recap: Happy Father’s Day…?

THE CW | Arrow (2.33 mil/0.8) and The 100 (1.7 mil/0.6) were steady.

RELATED | American Idol Top 4 Recap: Darling So It Goes, Some Things Are Meant to Be

FOX | The newly renewed American Idol (8 mil/1.8) a tenth.

1. Katherine215 says:

Revolution. :( :( :(

2. Easily the best episode of Arrow and it hit a series low!? Really?

• Nate says:

I can’t believe something so high it’s a series low

• enri says:

Right?! Arrow just keeps getting better and better. Maybe people are dvr’ing it? It seems when they release that data they always seem to be fairly high on the list.

• tv2day says:

I’m an arrow fan n I didn’t watch it n never watch it live. Its in dvr. NBA playoffs r on. Many men who watch arrow are watching NBA playoffs live. Same as if it was NFL. Originals finale next week will be preempted by mets baseball in NY trip state area. A sport not many watch anymore but it will affect their ratings. Ratings should be called “first day” ratings nowadays. Way too many dvr watchers to ignore.

• CBWBDK1 says:

If you don’t watch live, your not a true fan!

• wrstlgirl says:

Hahaha, that’s BS.

• bab5guy says:

So not true, so stop being so freaking ignorant. I work two jobs and regularly get home between 8:30 and 9. I also review the show for friends, so don’t you dare say I am not a “true fan”, a phrase which is meaningless and divisive bull$hit anyway.

• I think you meant to say, “If you have a Nielsen box and don’t watch live, YOU’RE not a true fan.”

• Melissa says:

Oh, I didn’t realize the NBA playoffs were on at the same time. That would explain a lot, especially since Arrow has a large male audience.

• wrstlgirl says:

They always save the best for the last few eps. Unfortunately some folks have been unhappy with the shows direction and decided to tune it out. For me personally it’s on the DVR to watch this weekend. It’s not a “must see” show for me anymore either.

• MW says:

I felt the same way in January when it felt more like a soap opera, but it seems like they’re back on track now. I just hope they can regain the audience they lost at the beginning of the year. They were getting over 3 million viewers in December, then in January the ratings plummeted and they’ve never recovered.

3. TW says:

I can’t believe that more demo viewers watch that ridiculous Mixology over Suburgatory. I will be so sad if it gets cancelled.

• N tTVf says:

Happiness is on the way next week – ABC has their Upfront on Tuesday afternoon. We’ll all get a court side seat as we watch ABC execs. in action – and Jimmy Kimmel!

• Jeff says:

Mixology is at least watchable. Watching Suburgatory is, as the name suggests, like a punishment..

4. ruffy says:

aww suburgatory was so good this week!

5. S says:

Revolution is gotta be dunzo.

They did it to themselves, the timeslot & then the writing dragging on & on. Had Charloe build up, dropped it, fans like Miles with Monroe, dropped it to have Miles stuck up Rachels behind. The show is killing itself

6. Eric7740 says:

ARROW was amazing last night and has been on fire the past few weeks! If you’re not watching ARROW live, you’re missing out!!! ARROW is must see TV!

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, the only thing I’m missing out on is the commercials. Watching it on the dvr is actually much more enjoyable :-)

7. Claire says:

Can’t imagine what turned viewers off from not tuning in, last weeks episode had some great Team Arrow moments (Oliver/Felicity/Diggle) … well with a slight hiccup I suppose. Although, if the viewers knew how much the Triad was featured this week, as well as the fantastic Felicity scenes that we were treated to, I’m sure the numbers would have risen. Who wouldn’t want to see Felicity give the Ravager road rash?
    For future, they may want to rethink their PR campaign prior to airing a stellar episode if they want those numbers to go back up.

8. GildedRose says:

Arrow was awesome. So much good stuff going on now that it feels like the show if back to focusing on the main plot and getting back to team Arrow in action. A vast improvement over that stretch a few episodes ago. Hopefully the ratings will increase as DVR stuff is factored in.

9. Jason says:

I hope i am wrong here, but i think Arrow and SHIELD might be suffering from “superhero/comic book” hangover. There are 4 comic book movies this spring, tons more coming and maybe the general fan is just gonna get their fix at the movies…

10. Name This Tune says:

Fox is bringing Idol back for a 14th season and ratings continue to slide. We’ll be looking at He’ll Kitchen numbers by next year.

11. Elyse says:

Yay for the 100!! those numbers should be good enough for a 2nd season! :) :)

12. Aimee says:

Go Criminal Minds! And how about CSI beating Idol. LOL!

13. tv2day says:

Revolution is really awful this season. I’m about to checkout

• wrstlgirl says:

For something that’s “really awful” you’ve managed to watch almost the entire season at this point, there’s only two left :-)

• dman6015 says:

You might as well watch the remaining episodes, because it’s not going to get renewed.

14. N tTVf says:

Yikes!! These Wednesday night ratings make my head spin – the network execs must be worried as well? One would assume…hope. If ever there was a time for the networks to ‘heal thy selves’, there really couldn’t be a better time than next week at Upfront. The timing is actually good – horrible ratings during May Sweeps just days before the network execs. reaching Upfront.

The broadcast networks need to ‘clean-house’, or at least, reshuffle the deck at Upfront. For FOX and ABC, this Upfront next week could determine their fates for the next half decade. This is a key moment for both. For CBS and NBC, perhaps not so much… for now. Let’s see how many comedy blocks all the ‘big four’ networks place in their fall schedules – consensus appears to be a ‘less will be more’ strategy; and why not? The current strategy – ‘more comedies than we know how to program’ does not appear to be working very well.

For CW? I’ll be monitoring closely what they say about their CW broadband streaming service and strategy going forward. How much emphasis do they/CW place on their online numbers? – “we’re #1 in tweets in the 8:42pm to 8:46pm segment – look at us!!”, and how much do they talk about their ratings (viewers, demo and share)? If we see one component discussed and highlighted more than the others, that may be telling us something about the future of the CW.

• Julie says:

I don’t think CBS is too concerned when they consistently bring in numbers with shows like with NCIS, NCIS:LA, PErson of Interest, Criminal Minds, Survivor, (which personally I loathe but seems to still be doing well all these yrs later), Big Bang Theory, etc. And Friday nights, where shows usually go to die they are running strong with H50 and Blue Bloods.

• N tTVf says:

Agree, I’m sure CBS is feeling good, but it is like running a four horse race where your horse is the only one with four legs – how long can that last? How long can CBS assume NBC and ABC will run around in circles? Eventually they will get a new mgmt team, and things will pivot. One could argue that NBC may already be on that path upward.

What CBS needs to be worried about are not their dramas/procedurals – at this point, they need to be worried (IMHO), very worried about their comedies. I noticed that you (and I’d do the same) noted many CBS dramas to highlight CBS’ current success, but I also noticed you only noted one comedy – TBBT.

Can you (or I?) name any other CBS comedies that you or I would be confident about their future? HIMYM has left the stage – all that is left is now TBBT. The Millers? We’ll see when that show is trying to anchor 9pm Thursdays. 2.5 Men is at the end.

2Broke? M&M? Mom? Are these three shows on a path to reach HIMYM, 2.5 Men or TBBT levels of ratings/demo?

Believe me, CBS is in worse shape than we realize – the only question is, do they/CBS realize it? I think the world of that mgmt team, Nina T and co. are very smart, and I think they are smart enough to know they’ve got problems to solve.

We’ll find out next Wednesday, if not a bit sooner, if indeed they ‘pivot’ on their comedy strategy.

15. suburgatory says:

Oh no! I hope Suburgatory is renewed! It’s the only funny comedy on ABC; to be honest, it’s the only funny comedy on TV at the moment, along with Bob’s Burgers FOX.

16. sarah says:

Arrow and Chicago PD were so good!

17. Dan says:

While last night wasn’t the most thrilling episode of Survivor this season, it’s been a really great overall cycle of the show. Who’d have thought that in season 28 it would be the second highest rated show of the evening! :)

18. arial2 says:

Given the lack of Suburgatory ads versus ABC’s flooding their airwaves all week with Nashville ads, I think Suburgatory did just fine (same demo numbers and greater overall numbers than Nashville while competing with both Survivor and American Idol). Is Nashville ABC’s version of CBS’s The Good Wife, with the network going all out to save a low performing show while ignoring a show that is drawing just as many viewers and same demo, Suburgatory (CBS’s version: The Mentalist) without all the fanfare? Perhaps TPTB should start ignoring the reviewers and just look at the numbers.

19. Aimee says:

I’m pretty sure the decisions on what to renew or cancel have already been made at this point. Last nights ratings probably don’t matter in that regard.

20. MiaB says:

As much as I loved Suburgatory, ABC might as well put it out of its misery now. They’ve gotten rid of so many of the loveable secondary characters and the writing is so uneven now. They don’t even take advantage of the great actors they have now. It’s sad, because it was such a good show.

• tp says:

I feel the same. It’s just not what it used to be. Last night was ridiculous. Still hate the opening credits. I guess I will go ahead and take it off my season pass.

21. Boone says:

Damn Revolution :(

22. Tina says:

NBA playoffs dudes. Hopefully these ratings won’t be looked on to harshly. At least a lot of shows did bad? I just desperately NEED Revolution to be renewed!!!!

23. Robby Horine says:

I expected more from the CSI finale. And what was that ‘sendoff’ for Brass? Talk about leaving things up in the air.

24. HAP says:

Jane Levy is an incredibly beautiful young woman. Now, if only she could act.

25. Pat says:

I was a little disappointed by the way CSI’s finale ended. What send off was given to Jim Brass??? So next fall when the show starts up will he be in the first episode so that he can at least have closure and a send off. I know that he will not because he was leaving after this season. So to the Producer’s of this show you could have a least given this fine actor who has been on your show for a very long time, a proper fair well. I suspect that many of us who have watched this show from day one, were the eyes on this finale last night and I for one do not like how it ended.

26. Revolution is my and my husband’s all time favorite show. We are 68 and 63.

27. Jon says:

Phew…Arrow adjusted up.

28. No matter the cast changes or time slot changes, CSI is still the best and I’ve watched since day 1. Going to miss Capt. Brass aka Paul Guilfoyle.

29. DavidSask says:

It is apparent people have better things to do on HUMP DAY than watch TV!

30. dman6015 says:

Arrgh. Looks like Revolution is a goner.