Fall TV Scoop: NBC Orders Constantine, The Mysteries of Laura and More to Series

ConstantineNBC this week added several new shows to its fall 2014-15 schedule, including Constantine, based on DC Comics’ supernatural mysteries series, and Debra Messing‘s detective drama The Mysteries of Laura.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

Here’s the logline/casting/pedigree info for each of the new series:

Constantine (Drama)
EPs | Daniel Cerone (Dexter), David S. Goyer (Batman Begins)
CAST | Matt Ryan, Lucy Griffiths (True Blood), Harold Perrineau (Lost)
Based on the characters in DC Comics’ stories about John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond.

A To ZA to Z (Comedy)
EPs | Ben Queen (Drive), Rashida Jones, Will McCormack
CAST | Cristin Milioti (How I Met Your Mother), Ben Feldman (Mad Men), Leonora Crichlow (Back in the Game), Christina Kirk (Girls), Henry Zebrowski
Whimsical romantic comedy set in the world of an online dating company that details the “A to Z’s” of a relationship, from meeting to breakup. The ensemble navigates the complicated world of modern dating and poses the question: Is there such a thing as destiny?

The Mysteries Of LauraThe Mysteries of Laura (Drama)
EPs | Jeff Rake (Cashmere Mafia), Greg Berlanti (Arrow), Aaron Kaplan, Melissa Kellner
DIRECTOR | McG
CAST | Debra Messing (Smash), Josh Lucas (The Firm), Laz Alonso (Breakout Kings)
Based on the popular Spanish series Los Misterios De Laura, it follows the life and relationships of a female homicide detective who can handle murderous criminals — but not her evil twins.

One Big Happy (Comedy)
EPs | Ellen DeGeneres, Liz Feldman, Jeff Kleeman (The Change-Up)
CAST | Nick Zano (Mom, 2 Broke Girls, Happy Endings), Elisha Cuthbert (Happy Endings), Rebecca Corry, Kelly Brook, Chris Williams
Follows gay and straight best friends whose mission to have a baby together is complicated when one of the potential parents finds the love of his or her life.

Mission Control (Comedy)Better Off Ted
EPs | David Hornsby (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia), Adam McKay and Will Ferrell (funnyordie)
CAST | Krysten Ritter (Don’t Trust the B—- in Apt. 23), Malcolm Barrett (Better Off Ted), Jonathan Slavin (Better Off Ted), Michael Rosenbaum (Breaking In, Smallville), Tommy Dewey (The Mindy Project), Leah Renee (The Playboy Club), Julie Meyer
Set in 1962, it examines what happens when a strong woman butts heads with a macho astronaut in the race to land on the moon.

Bad Judge (Comedy)
EPs | Kate Walsh, Chad Kultgen, Anne Heche, Jill Messick, Adam McKay and Will Ferrell (funnyordie)
CAST | Kate Walsh (Private Practice), John Ducey, Mather Zickel (House of Lies, Masters of Sex), Arden Myrin (MADtv), Tone Bell (Whitney), Miguel Sandoval (Medium)
It centers on a hard-living, sexually unapologetic woman who plays with the law and whose life on the edge is constantly in balance because she also happens to be a judge in the criminal court system.

These series join previously announced NBC dramas State of AffairsAllegiance and Odyssey, as well as the comedy Marry Me.

1. Nate says:

Constantine FTW! !!

2. wrstlgirl says:

Definitely looking forward to Constantine.

3. marcinho says:

These two I will def watch. Passing on the first 3 dramas they picked up.

4. TVFan says:

It’s official. DC Comics will have 5 TV series on the air this Fall. On 3 different networks. DC FTW!!

5. May says:

YES! Mysteries of Laura is going to happen

6. CBWBDK1 says:

Great news!! Edward Kenway is Constantine!

7. Joey Padron says:

Can’t wait to see trailer for Constantine. Exciting there will be a couple of DC Comic shows on TV this fall. Glad Cristin from HIMYM new show got pickup. Can’t wait to see trailer for her new show.

8. Drew says:

Constantine sounds good. I will check that out for the three weeks that it is on before they cancel it and air SVU reruns in its place. The others sound boring, so I am sure that they will last many years.

9. Lysh says:

Oh wow, I totally forgot Constantine was in the works. Awesome! I’ll be looking forward to it.

10. Niejan says:

It’s Constantine. John Constantine…. asshole.

11. Steve F. says:

Think I’ll check Constantine out… it was one of the DC books pre-New 52 that I wished I had time for.

12. alistaircrane says:

Constantine should be good, but will a mainstream audience accept it? Also, I hope the producers are taking their cues from Vertigo’s Hellblazer and not the New 52 Constantine.

13. Regina says:

I’m still not over the HIMYM finale but I am so glad Cristin Milioti got another series. She was hands down the only good thing about season 9 until she was killed off! That said I have no idea how they can make a long running series with that concept…

14. nk says:

When will be find out what’s been renewed?

15. Sandra Lindström says:

So happy about A to Z! Still holding onto hope about Old Soul, though. That’s the one pilot I would really love to get turned into a series.

• Alexandre Therrien says:

I completely agree with you. Old Soul was one of my favourite comedy script this year. Please please NBC.

16. Ray says:

Excited about Constantine.

17. AudreyCatburn says:

excited about Constantine and A to Z but mostly cause i love Cristin <3

18. alex says:

None of these do anything for me. Why not invest in the shows that NBC has with established fanbases (Hannibal, Revolution, etc.) instead of picking up new shows with no fans that they’re likely going to cancel? This is absolutely tiring and I’m done playing these kind of insipid games with networks especially with NBC that’s notorious for cancelling series before they’re completed. I’m done.

• Ana says:

Lots of networks cancel low rated series before they are done. TV is still an ad-based business after all so to them, they are better off trying out new series that could be successful than renewing older low rated shows that don’t make them any money.

19. Pia says:

Pass, pass, pass.

20. ivy says:

i would watch all of those

21. Jon says:

Still wary about Constantine. I don’t want to see a show that draws from the bland watered down New 52 version instead of the orginal Hellblazer. But lets see a trailer and maybe I’ll give it the five episode test.

22. Have NBC got room on their schedule for this many new unproven shows? Or we do have a bunch of cancellations about to be announced too?

23. leigh says:

So I take it Perception on Tnt id cancelled? I must have missed that story.

24. DCFan says:

Constantine is the only one here that interests me so far. I’m familiar with the comics character so I’ve got a leg up. The Mysteries of Laura…I like Debra Messing but I need to see a trailer to see if it interests me.

25. ? says:

Constantine has a shot because it’s at least about something that stands out. These other two shows are precanceled. Why can’t the network see that when they’re so obviously uninteresting to their audience?

26. jm says:

Los misterios de Laura is a great spanish tv-show, it is a black comedy. I dont picture Miss Messing as mother of twins… but hey, she may be great. Looking forward to it.
    It works better as a mini-series imo

27. Eric says:

I think I’ll check out all three, though I could see any one of these getting cancelled by late 2014.

28. Alan says:

glad cristin got another job, hopefully this takes off so she can distance herself from how i met your mother.
    i suppose ill give constantine a watch, he is far from my favourite character but a series could be good, i expect it to not last all that long though, doesnt really seem like the sort of thing that will catch on with the masses.

29. Apples says:

So over comic-book shows. Might check out the last one, I like Messing.

30. martina says:

Constantine‘s promotional photo is just wrong. He seems to be touching her boobs!

31. Mare says:

So glad that Constantine got picked up!!!

32. Stacy says:

I don’t know if it was any good, but I’m still bummed Krysten Ritter’s astronaut pilot didn’t get picked up. The cast list was awesome.

33. Tayla says:

It is also important to train your mind as well as your body.
    This herb has been used since ages to delay ejaculation and to help you
    last longer in bed with your partner. You can never
    expect to stop early ejaculation if you are not able to take full control of what running through your mind.

34. Drifter says:

As my friend would point out. The fact that Constantine isn’t shown with a cigarette in his mouth would tell us they are using the New 52 Constantine and that probably means it won’t be challenging the NBC viewers much and bodes ill for the series.

35. N says:

Bad Judge!

36. Becky says:

Dear NBC, this is what cost me Community and Revolution?? “One Big Happy” sounds like a rip off of a story arc from “Will and Grace”, “Mission Control” just flat out sounds stupid no matter how much I loooooove Krysten Ritter, “Bad Judge” probably won’t last long because NBC doesn’t actually like shows with “sexually unapologetic women”, and no matter how good “Constantine” is, it won’t survive on this network…. UGH… #GiveMeBackCommunity #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

37. Babygate says:

Bad Judge. The only comedy I have been looking forward to because Kate Walsh is hilarious. I hope the script is solid because this concept can go as bad as Bad Teacher currently is. This along with How to Get Away With Murder completes my wish list for next season.

• Meg says:

This. The writing is the basis of everything. Hoping the script of this would turn out great unlike what she had to work with on Private Practice.

38. herman1959 says:

Its sounds like there are several good choices, but I’m only going to try one and hope it doesn’t get cancelled – The Mysteries of Laura.

39. TV Show says:

I am exciting to see comedy show. I think it will be great than drama. I mostly like this type of show. I will start watching this type of show.