Rumor: HIMYM Spin-Off How I Met Your Dad Snags Series Order at CBS

2013 Vanity Fair Oscar Party Hosted By Graydon Carter - ArrivalsUPDATE: Although CBS is denying that a decision has been made, the buzz (confirmed by TVLine) is that the network has ordered How I Met Your Mother spin-off How I Met Your Dad to series.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All of the New Shows

HIMYD is described as a “kindred spirit” of HIMYM — only this time telling the story of a relationship from the point of view of Sally (played by Frances Ha‘s Greta Gerwig) a “female Peter Pan” who is thinking of calling it quits with her hubby of a year, Gavin (played by Workaholics‘ Anders Holm).

Meg Ryan has signed on to provide the disembodied voice of Future Sally.

1. Nkg says:

Not after that horrible ending!!

2. Joey Padron says:

I didn’t think show would get pickup. I’ll check out pilot episode to see how it is.

3. ES says:

Don’t decide on ending after pilot. Big mistake.

4. eddie says:

air after big bang!

5. hello says:

Don’t want it

6. abz says:

After the terrible ending for HIMYM? Yeah I don’t think so.

7. DCFan says:

The backlash from the horrid HIMYM finale will surely kill this show. Bad move CBS.

8. Wendy says:

Any chance of even glancing at the pilot of HIMYD was killed the minute HIMYM offered up that crapfest of a finale that spit on 9 seasons’ worth of change and growth. So thanks, but no thanks. Let Carter and Bays find other suckers. I’ll sit this one out. As it is, I can’t even enjoy HIMYM repeats anymore because of that finale.

9. Lyss says:

So many other good pilots for CBS to pick up and they choose this, after how HIMYM ended? No thanks! Please please pleaseeee pick up Good Session. I want James Roday back on my TV screen. And Save The Date for Maggie Lawson (:

10. Babybop says:

Ridiculous. I’m still angry and Carter and Craig.

11. Heidi H says:

I’m not falling for that again. Fool me once…

12. AudreyCatburn says:

Nope.

• AudreyCatburn says:

Carter and Bays have joined Stephanie Savage on the shelf of people I will never watch anything by ever again.

• dex says:

Who are “carter and bays”?

• Natalie says:

Carter and Bays make Craig Thomas cry.

Except I don’t care anymore… we’re no longer friends.

CBS underestimated the backlash from that finale.

• AudreyCatburn says:

whoops. Its a typo on my part.. that I give 0 fraks about fixing. :) but in order to continue cursing their names in the future i’ll make sure i get it right.

13. Hank says:

Bays and Thomas will not get another chance with me.

14. Regina says:

Ugh I know it’s not terribly mature of me but I really wanted Carter and Craig to fail after how they ruined HIMYM… Hopefully this show will get cancelled quickly.

15. willhowcoop says:

Look at the comments coming in…..this show just isn’t going to work.

16. SJ says:

Boo! Away with Bays and Thomas! I hope it dies a quick death.

17. Zach says:

I actually liked the HIMYM finale, but am not that interested in this. The cast, other than Gerwig, is unimpressive. For the male lead, they got Nicholas D’Agosto. Possibly the single blandest actor in television.

• Katie_Mead says:

I’m with you on that first sentence. I really don’t understand why there is so much vitriol about the HIMYM finale (even though I’m still bitter about that Lost finale turning an otherwise enjoyable series into a waste of a few years’ TV viewing!). I liked HIMYM … and now for something completely different … not a rehash of the same.

• Natalie says:

I really don’t understand why there is so much vitriol about the LOST finale (even though I’m still bitter about that HIMYM finale turning an otherwise enjoyable series into a waste of a few years’ TV viewing!).

18. cas says:

Well maybe if people would stop judging it before it aired and give it a chance already. It’s not like the writers are going to use the same story lines or have the same ending. Frankly, I loved the ending of HIMYM. It wrapped everything up nicely. I feel the only people who actually enjoyed the ending were the true fans of the show. Also, how did they get Meg Ryan to sign on?

• Wendy says:

Why not judge? Same concept, genders reversed. Same showrunners. And way to slam those who don’t fall over the finale for its “vision”. Not everyone likes the same things, and it shouldn’t call fandom into question.

• Cas says:

Fair enough. I just have seen way worse finales and besides the bad execution I thought it was pretty obvious from season 1 that it was always going to be about Ted and Robin as they were the new Ross and Rachel. It’s not Bay and Carter’s fault they weren’t as good as Crane and Kauffman (is that right?) oh and another one maybe. But as I get older I tend to get better at my job so maybe they have? I mean you have to admit up to that point it was pretty good. But I thought it was great that Ted still got the family he wanted first. And he did get two great loves. He just never stopped loving his first love. Maybe it was never the right time until then. Either way there were plenty of funny moments or we all would have stopped watching.

• S. says:

No it wasn’t obvious and no they weren’t Ross/Rachel. They spent a ton of effort convincing us that Robin and Ted weren’t right together and in the case of Ross/Rachel it felt like they *were* right together. They just needed to get their act together. Involving Joey or Emily felt straight up wrong as a serious thing. They were merely obstacles to the Ross/Rachel train. The Mother wasn’t supposed to be an obstacle. We were rooting for *her* and Ted for years, not just a season. Before we even met her ourselves, we knew who she was instinctively and they cast the right person for that. A lot of people were rooting for Robin and Barney. Then both of these relationships get dashed in one episode. Nothing about Friends required Rachel or Ross to break up with someone we’d fallen for in order to get together in the end. The people who got between them were never thought to be true endgame.

• abz says:

Just because many of us were not content with that terrible ending as you were doesn’t make us less “true” fans. That finale was just bad, plain and simple. They cast the most perfect mother and get us so attached to her character. She was so sweet and quirky and literally the most perfect match for a TV character like Ted and in the end she’s just killed off and it ends with Ted being with Robin?!?!?! I know they made it seem like Ted really loved the mother, but with that ending, it made it seem like it was all 9 seasons were for nothing and that he just settled for the mother.
      Also, an entire season wasted on a wedding for a marriage of three years that was dealt with in like 2 minutes. And it’s not so much the fact they divorced which I have no problem with. It’s that they spent a FULL SEASON on that stupid wedding which felt like it was all for nothing. I wish I had just stopped at How Your Mother Met Me.

• Kristina says:

They cast the most perfect mother and get us so attached to her character.

This is what I don’t understand. How do you get attached to a character that is only there for about five seconds? I never got why people were always so anxious for more on the mother. The title of the show tells you that she was never going to be a big part of it. It’s called How I Met Your Mother, not How I Met Your Mother And What Happened After. Plus, did anyone notice how they gave her no character flaws? I need to know she’s believable before I can get attached.

That said, I do agree that having a season-long wedding when the couple in question was going to end up divorced was not a spectacular idea. But, to be fair, Craig & Carter only planned the show to run for eight seasons. The network pushed them to drag it out for a ninth.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions. But it makes me sad to see so many people so angry with how it ended. One episode doesn’t make or break a show. Don’t let your feelings about one episode ruin your memory of the entire series.

• abz says:

I think titles of some shows often become irrelevant at times as the shows evolve in different directions. Take Weeds, for example. The middle seasons of the show had little to nothing to do with weed. Or Glee. It went from being about a Glee club, to now following many of the graduates outside of high school.
          Why is it so surprising that people wanted to get to know the Mother better? This show was about how he me HER. For 8 seasons we’ve watched and waited to meet her and they reveal her in the last season finale. With one season left, of course, there are people out there who want to see more of her and what she’s like and who this epic woman that Ted took forever to tell us how he met. She was on a lot more than five seconds and if I had it my way I would have had Barney and Robin get married during the first third of the season and have the rest be about Ted and the Mother. I got really attached to her because she felt like the perfect match for Ted, moreso than Robin ever felt like. Robin/Ted had their moments, but I thought they were always better as just close friends. The Mother had similar quirks as Ted, liked similar things that he liked, and they just fit so well together.
          The reason the ending was so terrible I think is that it made all those years of watching feel like it was for nothing. Waiting eagerly to meet the Mother only to have it be all about Robin in the end. Having the mother be dead and making it feel as if Ted settled for her because Robin was married to Barney (I know that may not be the case, but that’s how it comes across, to me at least). The finale had it’s good moments here and there but it was definitely not a good one IMO. The creators of the show should talk to Steve Franks about how to write a satisfying series finale because Psych’s was done WAY better.

• S. says:

They had that ending figured out, and shot in part, years ago. They were committed to it, no matter what, however things might’ve fallen away from what made sense to the viewers. That’s bad. We didn’t know the Mother for 5 seconds. We saw her personal heartbreak, we saw Ted fall for her, we learned a lot of things about her and not the least of which is what kind of guy Ted was for wanting to be with her. Her spirit was woven in the series, or at least it seemed that way to most of it. Ted already knew her at the start of it looking back, and we felt we were slowly meeting her. It’s not How I Ended Up With Your Step-Mom. If Robin was endgame, they messed up in the writing for more than the last season. That’s on them. It’s not a 1 episode problem.

• Dmav says:

Wow, aren’t you condescending. I consider myself a true fan, but after reading your post I realized I spent the past nine years casually watching, I am so glad you set me straight in the error of my weighs. .

• MissMel78 says:

I am so tired of people like you saying that anyone who didn’t enjoy the finale wasn’t a “true” fan. I put just as many hours into watching that show as you did. I cheered and cried with those characters through all the ups and downs the story took them on. And I loved the way they grew over 9 seasons. . .and then, in the end, they all returned to being the same stereo-typical stock characters they were in the premiere.

It’s fine that you liked the finale. Opinions differ. But please stop making the generalization that ALL true fans liked it. Many didn’t but that doesn’t mean we loved the show any less than you did. It’s BECAUSE we loved the show so much that we feel so strongly about the finale.

• Natalie says:

I agree with you 100%.

A lot of casual viewers like the finale, because they didn’t really put too much thought into the show.

It’s the real fans, the ones that really cared about the characters, that were so utterly disgusted with the undoing of 6 years of character development in service of an outdated ending.

• Brooke says:

Me too. If anything, everyone I know who were hardcore fans were the most pissed off, whereas the more casual viewers didn’t really care.

• phuong says:

In my family one of my sister and I were avid watchers and my other two sisters were casual watchers after watching the finale me and sister hated it and thought we wasted our time with 9 seasons but my causal watching sister thought it was ok. I was pissed of for the rest of the week.

• Gus T.T. Showbiz says:

I believe that is becuase a casual viewer was fine sitting back and enjoying the story whereas the “true” fan, for lack of a better term, had expectations and ideas of their own on how the story should end. All you had to do was come here over the last year and read the comments on any article about HIMYM. Everybody had their own idea about how the show should have ended and almost every post ended with “I am going to be so mad if it doesn’t end this way”. That is where I believe a lot of the dissatisfaction with the finale comes from.

• It’s too easy to pre-judge it before it airs. That’s the problem. Does anyone remember That 80’s Show? It flopped because it was inferior to That 70’s Show in every way. Whatever appeal the cast might have had, it was squandered with poor writing that focused on time period gags instead of the interpersonal relationships that made the 70s so fun to revisit. This is the same thing. It’s the same show with a different cast that is unlikely to reproduce the same chemistry.
      However any given fan feels about the finale, the fanbase was already feeling fatigue with the show and it was only exacerbated by dedicating the entire last season to Barney and Robin’s wedding. I used to really love the show. I would laugh constantly at unique and original jokes and site gags. It was one of the best comedies on TV. It started to slow down a little in season 3 and it kind of just got worse the longer it went on. I was sick of the show by season 7. I was lucky to get one half-hearted chuckle per episode. I think the dramatic change in what made the show so funny in the first place was all the changes in the writing staff.
      Bays and Thomas had eight staff writers in season one and half of them left. In season two, there were five new staff writers and then one left. Season three had three new writers and three departing writers. The only time the writing staff didn’t change was between season eight and nine. All these changes had a dramatic impact on the show. The jokes just weren’t as funny. The fake laugh track sounded even faker. They often relied on established character gags, where non-sequiturs are explained as, “Oh, it’s because Ted is a dork,” or, “Oh, it’s because Barney has lots of sex.” Any enjoyment from the show would be for any leftover affection for the characters and not things that are just funny on their own. The show became more about Barney and Robin’s on and off relationship and whoever Ted was dating at the time. And the show was run into the ground.
      Maybe Bays and Thomas want some fresh faces to write for their brand new set of 20-somethings and they would be smart to do so. But this just reeks of continuing the stale sameness right where they left off. The very concept of the show is stale. There’s no way around that. It’s getting into this franchising Dick Wolf NCIS mentality where slightly different more of the same does not mean you are out of ideas. But even Dick Wolf’s shows have more things to distinguish them from each other besides the actors.

• Cas says:

I disagree. Chicago Fire and Chicago PD are the best Dick Wolf shows I’ve seen in a while. I never really liked Dick Wolf shows with the exception of SVU though. However, I do agree when they announced the season was going to take place all at the wedding I thought it was going to be dreadful. And there were some just okay episodes. But I remember lots of fans saying they liked the idea so I feel like maybe they just weren’t good enough at the execution of it. I loved HIMYM. It was my favorite comedy. But I have always wanted Ted and Robin together in the end. And I always disliked Robin and Barney together.

• I swear that guy would make Chicago Hospital, Chicago School, Chicago Court, Chicago Animal Control, Chicago Sanitation, Chicago TSA, Chicago Pizza, Chicago Neighborhood, Chicago Playground, Chicago Hot Air Balloon, Chicago Abandoned Drive-In Theater, Chicago Adult Self-Defense Class, etc. if they let him.

• My decision to not watch is entirely punitive.

• Guest(whose real name shall NEVER be revealed) says:

Well they can judge ALL they want because as i keep saying cas WE HAVE OPINIONS! Last time i checked a lot of people hated the finale. HIMYD is gonna have a LOT of work cut out for it in order to become successful in the future(if its picked up which i doubt it BUT for the fans sake NO! NO! NO!). If HIMYM ended the way it did, then WHY should we trust them that it won’t happen again for HIMYD?! It may not tie in to the original BUT its Bays and Thomas story so it may end the same way. Once it does end the same way HIMYM ended, Bays and Thomas will REALLY be hated on by the fans!

19. toni says:

Spoiler Alert: the dad is dead. The end.

• anna says:

Laughed out loud at this comment. I hate to be Negative Nancy, so here is my disclaimer: I am incredibly bitter about the finale–I don’t think I’ve ever hated an ending more, so much that I would never even watch a rerun of the show–that I hope this fails to epic proportions…and then maybe show runners everywhere will learn to move their story forward and pay attention to character development rather than stick to the ending they came up in…what was it? Season 2 or 3?

• Mare says:

“Spoiler Alert: the dad is dead. The end.”

LMAO! I’m with a lot of the others: ZERO interest in this show, or another from this team, after that horrific ending for HIMYM. I will not try this. Once burned…

20. Brooke says:

Nope. Don’t think so.

21. Roger Canada says:

Good luck with that CBS… and I will not be there.

22. Abby says:

I would rather CBS renew “The Crazy Ones” than do this.

23. Teag says:

I’ll try it out.

24. mbento says:

come on.. this is not a spin of… wheres the conection between HIMYM? uses the same ideia… that’s not a spin of its a rip of…

25. Paolo says:

Deadline reports that CBS didn’t pick up anything yet.

• Dennis says:

Interesting: uh,

• Dan says:

Interesting: uh, oh! Sibling rivalry! Deadline and TVLine are sister-sites owned by the same media company. They often share and cross-reference/promote one another’s stories, too. Guess they didn’t this time! I believe TVLine, however. That Deadline ‘Scandal’ scoop about that character being recast by “Eric West” has lessened Deadline’s credibility. Sigh, where is Nikki Finke when you need her?!

26. Dmav says:

No, nope, I won’t fall for this one again *runs away screaming*

Same show runners equals epic fail. I can’t understand after the backlash of HIMYM they would give this a go ahead.

27. Ryan says:

I’m not saying that the show HIMYM wouldn’t have been as successful without him but it is my opinion that it was so popular due to the comedy of one Mr Harris. If HIMYD can replicate that level of comedic genius then best of luck. :-)

• T says:

To some people maybe but I watched because of Jason Segal and then Allison Hannigan and Josh Radnor. I loved the show but really grew tired of both Cobie and NPH by about the 3rd season or so.

28. Diz says:

Why would anyone watch this after that finale they had of the other one. Idiots.

29. TaMara says:

No. Way. In. Hell.

30. i says:

It would be nice if they killed the father and she just re-married the ex-husband because he was the love of his life. Oh wait!

31. Ashley says:

Given the ratings can juggernaut that was Mother, do we really expect anything less than one season?

32. RyanC says:

I might have watched if they weren’t the show runners, and that wouldn’t have been an issue if HIMYM hadn’t ended like that. But alas. I’ll pass!

33. TV God says:

I’m gonna check it out simply because I love HIMYM and I loved the finale. So hopefully Carter and Bays can win some people over this time around.

34. Zorkel says:

Not to call anyone out, but why do people keep saying, “Dad’s gonna die, she’ll remarry her ex-husband. Story over.”

I know people were unhappy with the finale, but do they really think that they will have the same ending all over again?

• John NYC says:

Oh it’s not the same story see, this time The Mother is telling it!

Completely changes things.

Oh and the dad is SO dead.

35. Brock says:

Barney is the Dad

36. Pat says:

I just have to say, Thank You, commenters on this site. I am laughing so hard at all the negative remarks and no need for me to post my opinion, because I agree with all if you! Again, thanks for making my evening a happy one!!!!😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

37. The only way I’ll ever watch another Carter Bays & Craig Thomas project is if it’s fifteen years from now, stars Josh Radnor and Cristin Milioti, and is entitled, “The Adventures of Ted and Tracy (Who is totally not dead.)”

38. Ashley says:

Definitely not gonna make the mistake of getting invested in a show by them again.

39. Ally Oop says:

I just spent 9 years watched HIMYM. I’m tired of that plot line plus I’m pissed off about the finale so no way will I watch this.

40. Alice says:

You Mean “How I Met the Person to Whom Your Dad Was Always a Pale Shadow of a Second Choice” ?
    I think I’ll pass.

• AudreyCatburn says:

really should just call it “how i met your sperm donor” since HIMYM was clearly “how i met your incubator”

41. ChicagoDan says:

The biggest mistake they made during the finale is not asking CBS for another half hour. It sounds like they filmed plenty of extra material. Instead of glancing over the marriage, they could have had several extra scenes to flesh it out, while still reaching the same conclusion. CBS did it with MASH and they should have done the same here – especially since it was tipped what would happen and people were already upset about it. I don’t think they will get people invested again.

42. Sam says:

Hahaha I expected at least one “I’ll so watch this” comment but no none and I LOVE that!

43. John NYC says:

No thank you.

I expect the “dad” is already dead and, well, necrophilia is icky.

44. Ray says:

Definitely will not be watching

45. Brody says:

Right. “Tune into this show by the guys who ripped the rug out from under you and shameless killed off one of your favorite TV characters ever, and you, too, can watch this lady’s marriage fall apart!” No thanks.

46. Wendy says:

Never, ever watching this!!!!!

47. Pinky says:

I think it’s a bad premise for a show where the main character considers ending her marriage. It seems too “just because” for me. Too negative a start, so I won’t be watching this.

48. dman6015 says:

Sorry, you blew it with the HIMYM ending. Not going to invest in another show, only to get a self-serving, disappointing, known-from-the-start, hurried ending.

49. Hannah says:

I would have watched this if it was the story told from Tracy’s point of view – expansion of that one episode in the 9th season if you will. I do not like the premise of this.